my next door neighbor keeps letting my cat in his home

Sounds like you are an asshole and a pain in the ass neighbor

Guess what?

It is not your cat. You want to keep a cat? Keep it in your own house. If you insist on keeping it outside, be prepared for the cat to go where it wants to. Obviously, it wants to go somewhere that is warm and to someone gives a shit about it
You are totally wrong. You are just totally wrong.
The cat is doing what cats do, exploiting its environment.

In short, the cat is using the neighbour.

Cat will get fat and sloppy sponging off the neighbour, get slow, and probably get run over.

Time to tell the neighbour to leave the fuckin' cat alone, or expect unpleasant surprises.

Guess what?

It is not your cat. You want to keep a cat? Keep it in your own house. If you insist on keeping it outside, be prepared for the cat to go where it wants to. Obviously, it wants to go somewhere that is warm and to someone gives a shit about it

Ask the cat

The guy is not chasing down the cat and bringing it inside. The cat is coming to him for protection

Guess what?

Ask the cat

The guy is not chasing down the cat and bringing it inside. The cat is coming to him for protection
How many cats have you ever had in your life?

I have had many over the past 50+ years. I've never had a cat that was kept only outside, but I have known people who have done that for various reasons, for example they or a family member are allergic, or other reasons. The cat IS their cat. They love it, they nurture it, they feed it, they take care of it's medical needs, etc. It is their cat. Just because they can't keep it inside, that does not mean someone else can just take it away from them. This neighbor wants all the pleasure of having the animal around, but for sure if the animal got sick, this neighbor has NOTHING invested in the animal and would expect the OP to take it to the vet. Saying it isn't the OP's cat is ridiculous.

Guess what?

Ask the cat

I have had many over the past 50+ years. I've never had a cat that was kept only outside, but I have known people who have done that for various reasons, for example they or a family member are allergic, or other reasons. The cat IS their cat. They love it, they nurture it, they feed it, they take care of it's medical needs, etc. It is their cat. Just because they can't keep it inside, that does not mean someone else can just take it away from them. This neighbor wants all the pleasure of having the animal around, but for sure if the animal got sick, this neighbor has NOTHING invested in the animal and would expect the OP to take it to the vet. Saying it isn't the OP's cat is ridiculous.

Obviously, the cat does not think he is their cat

Guess what?

Ask the cat

No that is not obvious. It is not any more obvious than if someone assumes your kid doesn't consider you his father because he wants to hang around at the neighbor's house all the time because they have a pool and feed him bbq steaks every day. You are still his dad.

Guess what?

Ask the cat

No that is not obvious. It is not any more obvious than if someone assumes your kid doesn't consider you his father because he wants to hang around at the neighbor's house all the time because they have a pool and feed him bbq steaks every day. You are still his dad.

If your kid is roaming the neighborhood asking for food and shelter he will not be your kid for long

Guess what?

Ask the cat

He said he has 4 cats inside already.

He never mentioned how cold it actually gets outside where he is.

Cats do tend to pick their owners.

The cat is going to the neighbors house, the neighbor is not going and grabbing the cat.

ok, lets make this short for those who don't wanna read a novel.

1. neighbor takes my outdoor-only cat inside his house.

2. says he doesn't want a cat.

3. lets my cat out when I go to his house.

4. keeps letting cat in his house though later at night.

5. i keep letting him know shes mine but she cannot come in my house because of other cats in my house and she has food shelter water everyday at my house on porch. As well as her twin sister misses her a lot.

6. I go to work, come home and shes back in his house, again (2 days in a row now) AFTER telling him she is mine and she is ok outside.

7. rinse, repeat. He says he does not want the cat.

eta- I tell him the reason she keeps wanting to go in his house is because he let her in already (duh).

8. don't know what to do next after leaving another friendly note in his mailbox. Me thinking call humane society or police if I have to (last resort).

My personal opinion is this:

Cats are at risk when they're outside. Anything can happen to them. If you don't want anything to happen to this one bring him inside.​

If its 10 degrees out and the cat is meowing outside his neighbors door at two in the morning is ninja007 going to come over and get HIS cat?

My cat Mindy is an outdoor only cat since I got her from my neighbor across the street who had to go into a home. They (Mindy has a twin sister) have fresh food water every day and my B.I.L. Built them both a cat shelter (insulated).

My neighbor is very quiet and keeps to himself. He is about 45 years old, I'm 42. 2 days ago I realized I had not seen her for a couple days so I was worried. I put out flyers on Tuesday afternoon. I went to my next door neighbors house to find he said he took her in. I asked him if I could have my cat. He had said that she did not know she was mine etc etc.. I explained to him I cannot take her in my house as we already have 4 cats inside. Mindy is an outdoor only cat and so is her sister and they love it outdoors. Mindy is friendly with everyone and all my neighbors know I take care of her/ she is mine. No collars because they are dangerous for outdoor cats.

My neighbor (we will call him MIKE). Mike is pretty laid back and a bit weird? He is a nice guy but I am a bit wary. I asked Mike if he WANTED a cat or catS BECAUSE HE TOOK TWO of my cats in (yes, it is cold). Pretty Kitty is the other cat I take care of. She is also very friendly. I'm very attached to all my cats and love them to death. I wish I could take them all in.

Anyway, after talking w/ Mike he got both cats for me and they came outside. I immediately gave Mindy some of her fav. moist food (its cold here now) and refilled her water again. I told Mike thanks for taking them in but they are fine outside and are my cats. (Mindy also needed emerg vet service 2 or 3 years ago= 1500 I paid).

Keep in mind this was Tuesday afternoon. Yesterday (Wed) after getting ready for work, Mindy is no where to be found- I know she is inside Mike's AGAIN. I leave a note before work and when I get home Mindy is on my porch saying hello. I go over to Mikes and let him know AGAIN (VERY POLITELY) WHY Mindy is outside and how she is fine; has food/water/shelter etc... and to please not let her in or IF she does run in (she ran in his house as we were talking; Mindy follows me everywhere when she is left alone) to get her out right away. Mindy seems to now be used to Mike's porch and supposedly she sits near his door lately (well duh- you let her in several nights in a row now).
So I'm thinking "ok Kevin (me) its all good now, Mindy will be waiting for you in her insulated cat shelter with her sister after you get home from work tonight). GUESS WHAT!? She was no where to be found and I know Mikes got her inside his house again with the other outdoor cat too who I love feed and take care off everyday for 3 years now.

I AM PISSED! But I keep cool- its 12 am now as I write one more polite but to the point note to Mike letting him know please leave Mindy alone and outside; if she runs in please put her outside right away. I reminded him why she is outside and they have all they need on my porch. Is is that hard to not let the cat in?

I put my note inside his mailbox hanging out so he will see it this mornin (Thursday morning) before he goes to work. BTW, Keep in mind I straight out asked him" do you like cats; do you want cats etc..". He said straight up "no". So there is no reason for him to "want" cats in his house.

(side fact; When I was in his house on Tuesday afternoon, I saw Mike actually made a cat box from a dresser drawer and filled it with cat litter, lol.)

So my question is What should I do next? I;m not stupid enough to not know that Mindy will go wherever she wants; yeah- I get it... but once your neighbor (me) politely asked you (Mike) multiple times to please NOT LET your(my) cats in his house, AND HE STILL LETS THEM IN............. I don't know what he feeds them in there...prob. not enough etc.. and not only that they both like it outdoors its just that its cold and he keeps letting them in; not blaming the cats- I love them both. I told him also Mindy's sister is very upset that Mindy is missing so often lately. Like wth!?

As cat lovers plmk your honest advice. Btw I know I will get some at least she is warm inside etc.. yes I understand that, but she is not his cat #1 and #2 she has shelter on my porch, food, water, love, her sister etc..). I mean last winter was much colder and I never had this problem. Like I said too; supposedly he does not even want a cat.????????????? In my 25 years living here I have never had this situation happen. I have always had outdoor cats too, as well as my indoor cats.
Maybe they are trying to deprogramming the cat from the religious crap it hears at your house

I am confused. Why would I be leaving my kids out on the street to be offered toys by some rich dude?
I rarely agree with you but spot on. He should be making every effort to keep his cats in his own yard. Once they start bothering the neighbors, the neighbors are pretty much free to do as they please.

If you keep your cat inside, have it sit on your lap when you watch TV, sleep with it.....its your cat

If you leave it outside and throw food at it once in a while, it belongs to the neighborhood

Ask the cat

If your kid is roaming the neighborhood asking for food and shelter he will not be your kid for long
It's an analogy. You need to understand how an analogy works and not make literal comparisons. The cat does have food and shelter. And a 'dad' who loves and cares about it, not someone who will throw it out when it becomes sick or difficult.

You have allowed your outdoor cats to exercise free will. It seems you have to make them indoor cats or allow them to live their outdoor lives as they see fit.

My cat Mindy is an outdoor only cat since I got her from my neighbor across the street who had to go into a home. They (Mindy has a twin sister) have fresh food water every day and my B.I.L. Built them both a cat shelter (insulated).

My neighbor is very quiet and keeps to himself. He is about 45 years old, I'm 42. 2 days ago I realized I had not seen her for a couple days so I was worried. I put out flyers on Tuesday afternoon. I went to my next door neighbors house to find he said he took her in. I asked him if I could have my cat. He had said that she did not know she was mine etc etc.. I explained to him I cannot take her in my house as we already have 4 cats inside. Mindy is an outdoor only cat and so is her sister and they love it outdoors. Mindy is friendly with everyone and all my neighbors know I take care of her/ she is mine. No collars because they are dangerous for outdoor cats.

My neighbor (we will call him MIKE). Mike is pretty laid back and a bit weird? He is a nice guy but I am a bit wary. I asked Mike if he WANTED a cat or catS BECAUSE HE TOOK TWO of my cats in (yes, it is cold). Pretty Kitty is the other cat I take care of. She is also very friendly. I'm very attached to all my cats and love them to death. I wish I could take them all in.

Anyway, after talking w/ Mike he got both cats for me and they came outside. I immediately gave Mindy some of her fav. moist food (its cold here now) and refilled her water again. I told Mike thanks for taking them in but they are fine outside and are my cats. (Mindy also needed emerg vet service 2 or 3 years ago= 1500 I paid).

Keep in mind this was Tuesday afternoon. Yesterday (Wed) after getting ready for work, Mindy is no where to be found- I know she is inside Mike's AGAIN. I leave a note before work and when I get home Mindy is on my porch saying hello. I go over to Mikes and let him know AGAIN (VERY POLITELY) WHY Mindy is outside and how she is fine; has food/water/shelter etc... and to please not let her in or IF she does run in (she ran in his house as we were talking; Mindy follows me everywhere when she is left alone) to get her out right away. Mindy seems to now be used to Mike's porch and supposedly she sits near his door lately (well duh- you let her in several nights in a row now).
So I'm thinking "ok Kevin (me) its all good now, Mindy will be waiting for you in her insulated cat shelter with her sister after you get home from work tonight). GUESS WHAT!? She was no where to be found and I know Mikes got her inside his house again with the other outdoor cat too who I love feed and take care off everyday for 3 years now.

I AM PISSED! But I keep cool- its 12 am now as I write one more polite but to the point note to Mike letting him know please leave Mindy alone and outside; if she runs in please put her outside right away. I reminded him why she is outside and they have all they need on my porch. Is is that hard to not let the cat in?

I put my note inside his mailbox hanging out so he will see it this mornin (Thursday morning) before he goes to work. BTW, Keep in mind I straight out asked him" do you like cats; do you want cats etc..". He said straight up "no". So there is no reason for him to "want" cats in his house.

(side fact; When I was in his house on Tuesday afternoon, I saw Mike actually made a cat box from a dresser drawer and filled it with cat litter, lol.)

So my question is What should I do next? I;m not stupid enough to not know that Mindy will go wherever she wants; yeah- I get it... but once your neighbor (me) politely asked you (Mike) multiple times to please NOT LET your(my) cats in his house, AND HE STILL LETS THEM IN............. I don't know what he feeds them in there...prob. not enough etc.. and not only that they both like it outdoors its just that its cold and he keeps letting them in; not blaming the cats- I love them both. I told him also Mindy's sister is very upset that Mindy is missing so often lately. Like wth!?

As cat lovers plmk your honest advice. Btw I know I will get some at least she is warm inside etc.. yes I understand that, but she is not his cat #1 and #2 she has shelter on my porch, food, water, love, her sister etc..). I mean last winter was much colder and I never had this problem. Like I said too; supposedly he does not even want a cat.????????????? In my 25 years living here I have never had this situation happen. I have always had outdoor cats too, as well as my indoor cats.
Maybe they are trying to deprogramming the cat from the religious crap it hears at your house
Yep, maybe all the antagonism toward the OP has to do with social and philosophical bias rather than the situation itself. I don't know anything about the OP and don't care. This is a situation outside of ones politics or religion.

Ask the cat

It's an analogy. You need to understand how an analogy works and not make literal comparisons. The cat does have food and shelter. And a 'dad' who loves and cares about it, not someone who will throw it out when it becomes sick or difficult.

I don't see ninja007 loving or caring for it

I see him throwing it outside and letting the cat be his neighbors problem. It seems the cat knows where to go for loving and caring

Guess what?

Ask the cat

The cat is going to the neighbors house, the neighbor is not going and grabbing the cat.
The neighbor is also not interested in keeping it and taking responsibility for it.

Cats don't usually get along at first. Mine tolerate each other. I would feed them dry food together to give them the feeling that being together is happy time. Now they rarely fight. I have one, however, that doesn't get along with anyone. Dogs, cats, humans. She won't let us pet her or pick her up. She stays most of the time downstairs while the others stay upstairs. She is a stray like the others but a bit wild. I won't put her outside I don't care what the weather is. Her mom used to live across the street but i haven't seen her around in years.

Guess what?

Ask the cat

The neighbor is also not interested in keeping it and taking responsibility for it.

Seems nobody is

This is a lot of to-do over nothing. The cat has made friends with the neighbor. Seems to me the smartest thing the OP could do would be to do the same.

Why go looking for fights with one's neighbors?

Forum List

Back