My problem with the NFL re: National Anthem

It's a non-issue. These are silent protests that hurt no one. It's only meant to bring attention to social inequities. No one is being attacked, there is nothing destructive in doing so.

This below is what destructive, devisive behavior and disrespect looks like.

View attachment 151215

I see photos like the one in your post, Hutch Starskey, and I'm reminded that people want us to believe that the Confederate flag wavers aren't espousing hatred and bigotry. In turn, I wonder just how stupid are the people who say that is so, but I know the answer: stupid enough to think the rest of us believe sh*t when they utter it.
What would happen to an NFL player if he took out a confederate battle flag and waved it during the National Anthem?

Do you believe it's respectful of the flag to wave a confederate battle flag at all?
in battle?

In any way.
Only well regulated militia of the United States may not be Infringed when keeping and bearing Arms and the colors of the Union.

Per the NFL rulebook:

1. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country.
Why do you not respect the flag or our country. Our country is the people. There are other ways to show your discontent with the President. People take not standing up for the flag as an insult on the United States as a unit. It makes people feel that you don't want to be here or don't like the unit as a whole (not just the administration) - and there are a lot of people that worked hard to build the US that are still alive today. There are a lot of people young and old that have risked their lives for the United States.

They risked their lives defending our freedoms and rights - which our flag represents. To insist that Americans should respect the flag while ignoring their constitutional rights is insane.

I see photos like the one in your post, Hutch Starskey, and I'm reminded that people want us to believe that the Confederate flag wavers aren't espousing hatred and bigotry. In turn, I wonder just how stupid are the people who say that is so, but I know the answer: stupid enough to think the rest of us believe sh*t when they utter it.

I used to have the CBF displayed at my home in MD, and when a neighbor complained to me personally about it and explained why, I took it down and put it in my closet.

My sole reason for displaying the flag was that I am a military history fan, and I enjoy reading about the Civil War and displayed the flag as a reminder of that war.

Others, like the Sons of Confederate Veterans display their flags in annual ceremonies honoring the Civil War dead of both sides.

You really shouldnt play Kreskin and try to read the minds of other people whose pics you see on the internet.

There's no ambiguity about the intentions of the flag bearers in the subject photo.

View attachment 151235
Thank you.

I couldn't think of something polite to say in response to Jim's comment, so I just didn't post anything.

They have the same right to carry those flags as the players do in speaking their minds. Hiowever, the flagbearers are in an actual protest, not standing on a field getting ready to do their job.

Kneeling is not a form of disrespect.

Thank you for your opinion. Please write a letter to Kaepernick and tell him this, as he is the one who said he was doing so IN PROTEST.

To disrespect something you have to take action, physically DO something in protest.
- You have dozens of guys on the sideline just standing there waiting for the game to start. The colors come out, a singer starts singing the anthem...and you do not have to honor the anthem / colors by putting your hand over your heart. You can just stand there, doing what you were already doing. Instead, people take a knee - an action in direct protest of the anthem. It takes less effort to just stand there. Taking a knee is a visible effort-taking outward sign that you are protesting / in disagreement with something. It is a sign that is MEANT TO BE VISIBLE, T ODRAW ATTENTION.

Please do not be intellectually dishonest or so naive as to try to tell people Kaepernick never intended to draw attention to himself when he 1st kneed down.
Only infidels, protestants, and renegades, believe that.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should! Not to mention, nobody is denying them their right to protest or do whatever the heck they want on their own time, their own dime. Fans aren't paying to watch people make political statements.

Kneeling is not a form of disrespect.

'Disrespect' is not universal. You would think people would have realized that by now. So many Americans are claiming to be 'offended' and 'disrespected' yet they do not fully understand the meaning / concept of the word - the ENTIRE spectrum of 'disrespect', nor do they understand that 'disrespect' is not a one-way street, does not mean only what THEY deem it to be.

For Example: Many people who fly the Confederate Flag do not see it or mean it to be a sign of 'disrespect' to anyone. Some people believe saying 'yes sir/no sir' is a sign of respect while refusing to say so is 'disrespect'. To some Middle Easterners to show someone the bottom of your foot is a tremendous insult and sign of disrespect.

You feel as if kneeling for the National Anthem is not a form of disrespect. I am not saying you are wrong. I am just pointing out that a majority of Americans do not agree with you.
Why should anyone on the left, take anyone one the right, seriously?

Totally respect this player, takes courage to do this right now. ( who chose to stand)
The thing is, our bloviating president shouldn't have said what he did. What a moron. I don't think hes a white supremacist, but he sure as shit doesn't know what this country is about.
The bright side is... all the idiots are being exposed.

The man below is a vet ...
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — A photo of a 97-year-old Missouri man kneeling to show solidarity with black football players has been shared thousands of times as his message of peace and acceptance spreads across the Internet.

The photo of John Middlemas was posted to Twitter by a younger relative at about 9:30 a.m. CT on Sunday, a few hours before numerous National Football League players knelt while the national anthem was played.

"My grandpa is a 97 year-old WWII vet & Missouri farmer who wanted to join (with) those who #Takeaknee: 'those kids have every right to protest,' " wrote Brennan Gilmore as a caption to the photo of Middlemas.

Column: Trump's rhetoric forces NFL teams to take stand as owners, players unite

More: Steelers don't participate in national anthem, with exception of ex-Ranger Alejandro Villanueva

As of Monday morning, the post had been retweeted more than 123,000 times and "liked" by more than 322,000 accounts.

My grandpa is a 97 year-old WWII vet & Missouri farmer who wanted to join w/ those who #TakeaKnee: "those kids have every right to protest." pic.twitter.com/LurCj7SLUB

— Brennan Gilmore (@brennanmgilmore) September 24, 2017
Colin Kaepernick started kneeling for the national anthem in 2016 as a way to protest police violence against African Americans. At the time Kaepernick was playing for the San Francisco 49ers. He is currently unsigned.

Civil rights activism is old hat for Middlemas. His desire to be inclusive is rooted in his time serving alongside black members of the military while deployed on a submarine.

In an interview, Middlemas said, "I wanted to communicate what I always told to my grandkids and everybody else. When they'd go to bed at night, we'd tell the kids we wanted to be like Jesus."

By that, Middlemas wants to communicate a message of peace and acceptance.

Column: In wake of President Trumps harsh words, it's time for NFL owners to sign Colin Kaepernick

More: Chiefs QB Alex Smith: President Trump 'couldn't condemn violent neo-Nazis'

"I'm trying to say that you have to love everybody," he said, adding he hopes "the whole world" will get his message. "We don't kill people. We want to make people live."

One member of Middlemas' intended audience is President Trump, whose comments at a campaign rally Friday in Alabama about athletes who don't stand for the anthem sparked the response from the NFL and others over the weekend. Trump said said NFL owners should "fire or suspend" players who protest.

The Willard farmer, not a fan of Trump, called the president "garbage-mouthed."

In 2013, Middlemas participated in what he called "the most important march I've ever made in my life" — a Springfield event called the "Unity March" meant to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have A Dream" speech.

Middlemas, who was 93 at the time, was one of the last to finish the parade. He said then that he'd been marching for 45 to 50 years.

Middlemas always admired King, watched him preach and could recite his words. He had hoped King would one day be president, and he regrets King never fulfilled that dream, he said in 2013.

Contributing: Juliana Goodwin and Dean Curtis, Springfield (Mo.) News-Leader. Follow Will Schmitt on Twitter: @ws_missouri

Alzheimers is a terrible disease.[/QUOTE]

Ha, very funny. point is...everyone is paying attention to this. One way or another.
...and maybe after this, it wont cost $300.00 just to attend a game =D

Your problem with the NFL re: the National Anthem is exactly the same as every dumbass rube's problem. You don't understand what the protest is about and you don't understand what the flag represents..

No you piece of shit...it's YOU who doesn't understand what the Flag represents.

Per the NFL rulebook:

1. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country.
Why do you not respect the flag or our country. Our country is the people. There are other ways to show your discontent with the President. People take not standing up for the flag as an insult on the United States as a unit. It makes people feel that you don't want to be here or don't like the unit as a whole (not just the administration) - and there are a lot of people that worked hard to build the US that are still alive today. There are a lot of people young and old that have risked their lives for the United States.

It's a non-issue. These are silent protests that hurt no one. It's only meant to bring attention to social inequities. No one is being attacked, there is nothing destructive in doing so.

View attachment 151215

What would happen to an NFL player if he took out a confederate battle flag and waved it during the National Anthem?

Do you believe it's respectful of the flag to wave a confederate battle flag at all?

You do realize tat waving a Confederate Battle flag would be considered the same type of protest you are supporting? There is no difference.

Let me try waving a Confederate Battle flag at work and see what happens to me!

There is a huge difference. That's the point.

Per the NFL rulebook:

They risked their lives defending our freedoms and rights - which our flag represents. To insist that Americans should respect the flag while ignoring their constitutional rights is insane.

To insist that Americans Watch The NFL and be forced to be subjected to POLITICS by a Bunch of Millionaire Jackoffs who Protest While they are ON THE CLOCK and IN Uniform is INSANE.

You don't have a right to Protest at Work. Yes you can be fired for doing so on Company Time.

If Goodell weren't such an ASS, this would not be happening.

These Fuckers are not Role Models for ANYONE but their OWN SELFISH CODDLED, Privileged SELVES, and their Morally Defective Offspring.

in battle?

In any way.
Only well regulated militia of the United States may not be Infringed when keeping and bearing Arms and the colors of the Union.

I'm not following your point.

View attachment 151215

You do realize tat waving a Confederate Battle flag would be considered the same type of protest you are supporting? There is no difference.

OK, Lucy, why don't you 'splain it to me, preferably in English.

Why should anyone on the left, take anyone one the right, seriously?

For starters because 'the Right' are the ones NOT rioting, looting, perpetrating arson, destroying property, committing acts of terrorism, calling for military cops, calling for assassinations, attempting to carry out those assassinations, and using violence to try to strip Americans of their Constitutional Rights of Free Speech and to Assemble ... as opposed to the Left.

NFL_ad_spend_versus_viewership_01.png

NFLtable1-01.png

Done earlier in the thread. Try reading it before jumping in and jabbering cluelessly.

Per the NFL rulebook:

STFU you fucking hypocrite, I bet you've NEVER stood up at home when you hear a national anthem.

I'm usually not watching the game when it's being played, but, no, I would not you are correct. But when I am at the events I always do (and I also sing along, which I'm sure is QUITE offensive to those around me!)
So you're a hypocrite. Now you know.

Wanna be sure I got this straight....you support the right for players to protest against something, but you do not support her eright to say she doesn't like it - and she is the hypocrite?

That's pretty funny.

Done earlier in the thread. Try reading it before jumping in and jabbering cluelessly.

Sorry! Nothing you have posted makes any sense to anyone with an elementary school education. Try again!

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!
Freedom of expression is about protecting words we don't like, not just words we do like. You would want your opinion heard.

Look at it this way: We have one end of the political spectrum loudly saying that our Constitution was written by rich, white slave rapists; that our national anthem is racist; that the country is racist; that our country is greedy; that our history and traditions must be rubbed out and/or changed. Their opinion of this country is pretty clear.

Trump's presence in the White House is largely about a pushback on those sentiments, so if you're a Trump fan, you should be pretty happy that these people have the freedom to say this stuff.

That's the beauty (at least one of them) of freedom of expression.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!
Freedom of expression is about protecting words we don't like, not just words we do like. You would want your opinion heard.

Look at it this way: We have one end of the political spectrum loudly saying that our Constitution was written by rich, white slave rapists; that our national anthem is racist; that the country is racist; that our country is greedy; that our history and traditions must be rubbed out and/or changed. Their opinion of this country is pretty clear.

Trump's presence in the White House is largely about a pushback on those sentiments, so if you're a Trump fan, you should be pretty happy that these people have the freedom to say this stuff.

That's the beauty (at least one of them) of freedom of expression.

And I have the freedom to express my opinions of their opinions.

Forum List

Back