My Sympathy Is With The Teacher

She was fired.

"Video gets Treasure Coast teacher fired, charged with hitting student with broomstick

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (CBS12) — A teacher on the Treasure Coast is charged with child abuse for striking a student with a broomstick.
...arrested on a felony warrant by Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office deputies on Friday.

The student’s mother had contacted authorities and sent CBS12 News a video from the classroom.

In it, the 12 year old with ADHD swears repeatedly at the teacher."

Our Liberal pals who run what is laughinly known as the "education system" keep these mini thugs in school making certain that teaching and learning cannot go on.

Did you get this: "the 12 year old with ADHD swears repeatedly at the teacher."

Where did this brat learn to swear at a teacher????
Who arranged to videotape the incident?????????
Where are the injuries??????????

It's poor parenting and poor political leadership.

Kimberly Klacik

@kimKBaltimore

If your 13 year old is out stabbing people, carjacking uber drivers or running around with guns, please know... ...you are a terrible parent. It’s you. It’s not the police. Its not the politicians. It’s not the teachers. It’s you. Just you.

9:47 PM · Apr 22, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

i

The teacher should not have hit the child. We can have a different debate as to whether parents can or should spank. But that is not her child

That said.

People are really high on dogging on teachers these days and believe me I know many teachers deserve it. But are schools are a disaster. No discipline. No respect. No order. We can say oh hey that's your fault but it's really our society. It's parents who say "You can't discipline MY angel". Etc.

I'm tired. We're all tired. So many are quitting.

Therein lies the rub.

This kid's parents probably did trust the teacher, right up until they saw that video...

Why did you say 'parents'....in the plural.

That certainly isn't the America Democrats produced.

Single Mother Statistics (UPDATED 2022)

https://singlemotherguide.com › single-mother-statistics

Mar 12, 2022 — Single motherhood has grown so common in America that today 80 percent of single-parent families are headed by single mothers — nearly a third ...

This is the state raising your children.

Do you know how that works out????

1650393417030.png

Go with that. You have a bright future being a part of the criminal justice system.

Of course, and you can call that "felony battery." I could probably pull up the pertinent statued under Florida Law and show you what standards need to be met in order for it to be felony battery.

(laughs)

You know what, maybe I'll do it now.

"In Florida, Felony Battery is any intentional and unconsented touching or striking, which results in great bodily harm to another person or which occurs after a previous conviction for battery. The offense is a third degree felony, with maximum penalties of up to 5 years in prison."

The three words "great bodily harm" under the statute blow this case out of the water. That standard isn't met here because there was no "great bodily harm" caused to the child. It was a fucking stick.

Case closed, as is yours. Step out of my way.

Of course, and you can call that "felony battery." I could probably pull up the pertinent statued under Florida Law and show you what standards need to be met in order for it to be felony battery.

(laughs)

I don't believe for a minute that this poor teacher isn't cooked.

She was fired.

"Video gets Treasure Coast teacher fired, charged with hitting student with broomstick

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (CBS12) — A teacher on the Treasure Coast is charged with child abuse for striking a student with a broomstick.
...arrested on a felony warrant by Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office deputies on Friday.

The student’s mother had contacted authorities and sent CBS12 News a video from the classroom.

Our Liberal pals who run what is laughinly known as the "education system" keep these mini thugs in school making certain that teaching and learning cannot go on.

Kimberly Klacik

@kimKBaltimore

If your 13 year old is out stabbing people, carjacking uber drivers or running around with guns, please know... ...you are a terrible parent. It’s you. It’s not the police. Its not the politicians. It’s not the teachers. It’s you. Just you.

i

My favorite new variation of this is all insanity is "Trauma-informed teaching".

Mostly this manifests as "traumatized" children destroying everything around them. Literally. Throwing things, melting down. Hitting, punching, kicking. When the other six year olds turn their wide innocent eyes on me....I got nothing. I'm supposed to say something inane like "Oh yeah he's just having a bad day".

Of course he just traumatized all of them.

I say this to those on the "trauma team" and they look at me like I'm nuts.

Why did you say 'parents'....in the plural.

That certainly isn't the America Democrats produced.

Oh, for Christ's sake, fuck off.

If I'd have said "parent" you'd have bitched about me assuming the kid was from a broken home.

Fine, if the kid's from a broken home then the PARENT probably trusted the teacher until he/she saw this video.

'Fuck outta' here with your nonsense, Chic...

I don't believe for a minute that this poor teacher isn't cooked.
Well, she isn't. They can't charge her under the statute. Felony battery needs to result in "great bodily harm" to the victim that could cause disability or disfigurement. The touching occurred, but no great bodily harm did.

This won't go well for the prosecution because this is most certainly an overcharge.

Do you teach your children to speak that way?

In school?

To you?

Oh, fuck no. My wife and I raised my daughter to be respectful and polite and, at 36 years old, I'm proud to say she still is.

But if she'd have let loose a barrage of expletives towards one of her teachers, and that teacher physically reprimanded her for it, that teacher would be 100% in the wrong...

HAHAHA!!! You're such a fucking fool.

Read some of my posts elsewhere on this forum and see if you think I'm a liberal, you stupid sack of shit.

You would allow other adults to hit your kid? I'm 6'3", 260-some-odd pounds. Would you be willing to let me take a few swings at your kid?

No, of course you wouldn't. So don't all incredulous when someone says they wouldn't do it either.

Now fuck off, shithead...

Now for the other side of this. I teach elementary. Even so I have been hit, bitten, had things thrown at me and been pushed into furniture. I'm petite. I don't weigh 100 lbs. So yeah, 4th and 5th graders quite often outweigh me and kids in meltdowns can be very strong.

My husband has had enough. He says next time I get physically assaulted at work and no one does anything he's paying a little visit to the front office. He's my HUSBAND. Who can blame him?

A special needs student just sent his teacher to the hospital in the last month. This happens all the time. Happened in my bldg just this year.

Again these stories typically don't get media and no one really cares. So again people are just leaving teaching. Good luck with the B team. And C team

She was fired.

Kimberly Klacik

@kimKBaltimore

i

Hitting a student is never acceptable, period.

Well, she isn't. They can't charge her under the statute. Felony battery needs to result in "great bodily harm" to the victim that could cause disability or disfigurement. The touching occurred, but no great bodily harm did.

This won't go well for the prosecution because this is most certainly an overcharge.

Perhaps she can be found guilty of lesser offenses.

God knows she should be...

Hitting a student is never acceptable, period.
Nope. But what were you expecting the teacher to do? Sit there and take it?

No wonder our education system is shot. Teachers are being verbally and physically assaulted by students but aren't allowed to fight back.

The parents don't seem to care in most cases, and the ones that do are never notified of the kid's behavior.

Kids past 4th and 5th grade are not being taught the real-world consequences of their behavior toward adults and it shows in American society.

Last edited:
My favorite new variation of this is all insanity is "Trauma-informed teaching".

Mostly this manifests as "traumatized" children destroying everything around them. Literally. Throwing things, melting down. Hitting, punching, kicking. When the other six year olds turn their wide innocent eyes on me....I got nothing. I'm supposed to say something inane like "Oh yeah he's just having a bad day".

Of course he just traumatized all of them.

I say this to those on the "trauma team" and they look at me like I'm nuts.
I work in the Criminal Justice system and just a few weeks ago, I had to sit through a full day "Trauma informed" training which taught us that nothing a criminal does is really their fault: they must have experienced some kind of "trauma" earlier in their lives so we should excuse their behavior. Can't wait to retire in 4 years.

Hate to burst your bubble, but they may not even have a case under the misdemeanor statute.

You ever watch any of those "auditor" videos? You know the ones: where people go videotaping in the hopes of getting a reaction from local law enforcement?

There are countless cases of police taking a hold of someone's arm and trying to lead them away, only to face lawsuits (which are almost always successful) for battery by a police officer. The mere contact is sufficient.

There's video of the teacher striking the kid with force. She will not walk away scot-free...

Hate to burst your bubble, but they may not even have a case under the misdemeanor statute.

Here are some excerpts from your link. Did you bother to read it?

Where there are no aggravating factors or enhancements at play (such as use of a weapon, serious bodily injury, or domestic violence) the offense is known as “simple battery” or “misdemeanor battery.”

The broomstick will almost certainly be considered a weapon, thereby removing the possibility of misdemeanor battery...

Intent is a required element of a simple battery charge. To constitute a crime, there must be “either a specific voluntary act or something that is substantially certain to result from the act.” C.B. v. State, 810 So. 2d 1072 (Fla. 4th DCA 2002). A defendant must intend to strike the person, or engage in conduct where he or she knows that a touch or strike “is substantially certain to result from his acts.”

I don't think there's any question that the teacher intended to strike the student...

To commit the crime of misdemeanor battery, an accused does not have to injure the alleged victim. The intentional touching against another person’s will is sufficient. In fact, where the allegation is that the touching was against the alleged victim’s will, the existence or extent of injury becomes irrelevant. D.C. v. State, 436 So. 2d 203, 206 (Fla. 1st DCA 1983).

The kid needn't suffer an injury...

This issue frequently arises in cases where two people engage in a fight, or “mutual combat.” In Florida, ‘mutual combat’ is a recognized battery defense predicated upon both parties assenting to a physical altercation and therefore consenting to be touched as an understood consequence of that altercation.

There are no reports of the student having hit the teacher. All the kid did was swear at the teacher. Accordingly, the "mutual combat" defense cannot apply.

But, hey, try to spin it any way you want. The charges against the teacher are appropriate...

Where there are no aggravating factors or enhancements at play (such as use of a weapon, serious bodily injury, or domestic violence) the offense is known as “simple battery” or “misdemeanor battery.”

The broomstick will almost certainly be considered a weapon, thereby removing the possibility of misdemeanor battery...

Once again, sorry. The second "bodily harm" part has to be met too.

The specific language of the law includes bodily harm. Touching (or in this instance, barely) that does not cause injury does not warrant the charge.

(By the way, you seem diametrically opposed to the OP, are you wanting the charges for the teacher to spite the author of the thread or are you genuinely concerned? I can never really tell on this board anymore)

Last edited:
I work in the Criminal Justice system and just a few weeks ago, I had to sit through a full day "Trauma informed" training which taught us that nothing a criminal does is really their fault: they must have experienced some kind of "trauma" earlier in their lives so we should excuse their behavior. Can't wait to retire in 4 years.

I have sympathy for those who had a hard childhood. I do. But all this trauma stuff is an insult to those who overcame their hardships to have successful, fulfilled lives.

We're a nation of victims and whiners now. It's so sad

Let's go over the definitions of assault and battery:

Assault and Battery​

Florida's law specifically provides that:

• An assault is an intentional, unlawful threat to harm another, when the actor has the apparent ability to cause harm and the threats cause another to fear for their immediate safety.
  • A battery occurs when the person intentionally and actually touches another against their will (no matter how slight the contact) or intentionally causes bodily harm to another.

Forum List

Back