National Emergency instead of Congress

RealDave

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2016
We have the science to show it. A fast expanding rise of average global temperatures that said we needed at act now to stop a significant rise by 2100. Declare a National Emergency & install a carbon tax.

Declare a National Healthcare emergency & just dictate Medicare for all.

Declare a National emergency and borrow a trillion for infrastructure.

Is this what to expect when a President wants something?

The option to declare a National Emergency is for situations where we can't wait for Congress. Not for when Congress says no.

We have the science to show it. A fast expanding rise of average global temperatures that said we needed at act now to stop a significant rise by 2100. Declare a National Emergency & install a carbon tax.

The option to declare a National Emergency is for situations where we can't wait for Congress. Not for when Congress says no.

In b4 the lock, but we've been "waiting on Congress" since 1988. They don't want to do their job, fuck 'em.

When somebody doesn't get the job done in 31 years, it's time to explore other avenues.

Not Legal. Truman declared an emergency when he felt thwarted. Trump should know: It didn’t end well.

Funny. When Obama ignored congress and ruled by executive fiat no one objected. Now Trump does and suddenly the libs gots religion and sees the light.

Not Legal. Truman declared an emergency when he felt thwarted. Trump should know: It didn’t end well.

""If Harry Truman couldn’t nationalize the steel industry during wartime, this president doesn’t have the power to declare an emergency and build a multibillion-dollar wall on the border,” House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.) said on CNN over the weekend."

Truman declared an emergency when he felt thwarted. Trump should know: It didn’t end well.

Not even remotely close to being the same. Not at all.

Seizing control over steel mills is not the same as using the Army Corps of Engineers to build a wall. :cuckoo:

Try again. The president is well within his rights to do so.

President Trump isn’t threatening to nationalize any part of private industry. Nice fail try though.

Precisely. It's a slippery slope for sure and once that genie is let out of the bottle no one will be able to put it back in.

President Trump isn’t threatening to nationalize any part of private industry. Nice fail try though.

Doesn't matter. It greatly increases the power of the Executive branch, which over the last few decades has already vastly accumulated more latitude outside our systems of checks and balances.

Doesn't matter. It greatly increases the power of the Executive branch, which over the last few decades has already vastly accumulated more latitude outside our systems of checks and balances.

FWIW, Congress has never been as inept as the past 2-3 though. AFAIK.

Congress should not be saying no, but the President should not be turning this problem into some sort of "invasion." It's ridiculous what both sides are doing. As usual, our only recourse as voters is to kick the bums out in a few years, which isn't going to help things at the moment, or send letters to our Congress critters, which probably won't matter either. Do they even care what we think? Maybe. I doubt it.
So we can argue all we like but I don't see how this is going to get solved. I just don't see an end to it.

I actually agree with you. Although i cant help but think your opinion is disingenuous

Funny. When Obama ignored congress and ruled by executive fiat no one objected. Now Trump does and suddenly the libs gots religion and sees the light.
Obama didn't spend billions of dollars with his EO's.
His executive order to restructure student loans cost over 15B.
i got about 5 more than cost a lot of money. wanna hear them too?
No I do not want to talk about money shit.
All I want to know is, Who did he write the check to and what did he buy with it?

Obama didn't spend billions of dollars with his EO's.
His executive order to restructure student loans cost over 15B.
i got about 5 more than cost a lot of money. wanna hear them too?
No I do not want to talk about money shit.
All I want to know is, Who did he write the check to and what did he buy with it?
Oh i thought we were discussing cost, not strait up purchases. My bad.
I guess one is worse than the other.

Forum List

Back