Native American Heritage Day(?)

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
According to my Mac computer, today is Native American Heritage Day.

So my question is, what aspects of "Native American" culture have been adopted by the larger culture?

Food? Nope.
Art? Nope.
Music? Nope.
Language? Nope.
Literature? Nope.
Weapons? Nope.
Agriculture? Nope.
Animal husbandry? Nope.
Architecture? Nope.
Science/Technology? Nope.
Religion? Nope.

Aside from a plethora of sports team names, and many Native Americans now object to being used, what is there that we can thank the indigenous people for?

If "we" are encouraged to celebrate our "Native American Heritage," what exactly is that?

So my question is, what aspects of "Native American" culture have been adopted by the larger culture?

Food? Nope.
Art? Nope.
Music? Nope.
Language? Nope.
Literature? Nope.
Weapons? Nope.
Agriculture? Nope.
Animal husbandry? Nope.
Architecture? Nope.
Religion? Nope.

Aside from a plethora of sports team names, and many Native Americans now object to being used, what is there that we can thank the indigenous people for?

If "we" are encouraged to celebrate our "Native American Heritage," what exactly is that?
Give Indians credit for corn, including popcorn

But I have listened to Native music when traveling through Wyoming and it makes me laugh just thinking about it

Food? Nope.
Art? Nope.
Music? Nope.
Language? Nope.
Literature? Nope.
Weapons? Nope.
Agriculture? Nope.
Animal husbandry? Nope.
Architecture? Nope.
Religion? Nope.

Food? Nope.
Art? Nope.
Music? Nope.
Language? Nope.
Literature? Nope.
Weapons? Nope.
Agriculture? Nope.
Animal husbandry? Nope.
Architecture? Nope.
Religion? Nope.

You don't know much.

"Agriculture? Nope"

They failed at farming so they became whalermen.
As usual you talk out of your ass.
Europeans were very successful farmers, beginning around 6000 years ago to becoming mostly agriculture based society by 5000 years ago.

If you are going to just make shit up, it should be lies that aren't so easily dismissed

Not at all true. They were farming many crops right away.
What killed most of them off early on was disease.
Not to say they learned no values from the Indians, they did, but they certainly didn't learn to how farm from them :D
Wisdom has been chasing you, but you've always been faster.

Wisdom has been chasing you, but you've always been faster.
No, you just choose to believe the romanticized version of it.
The relationship between settlers and Indians ranged from precarious to downright murderous - both ways.
In some locations the Indians were the only reason they didn't all die in the first year. Settlers were basically told that America was a paradise... but the coastal lands certainly were not. Difficult to farm, and if they were in the north - brutal winters, if they were in the south - brutal disease carrying insects.
They were doomed.
It wasn't that the Indians taught them to farm, they fed them straight up. They would have starved if not for the Indians, and died of diseases without the Indian knowledge of natural plants of the area that the settlers had no idea about.

mmmmmmm Frybread burger. mmmmmmm

1700858217914.png

Forum List

Back