Need advice

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
I walk my dog near a water treatment plant and wetlands/woods. Yesterday the cops pull up and I say,"is there a problem officers?" And they tell me "I'm not supposed to be out here" and I say why? They give me every reason from "for my safety" to its private land but every reason they give is not a good one. It's public land, no trespassing signs.

So what should be my first step? I don't want to defy them and just go back. They could be right? Can cops tell you not to be somewhere for any reason? I really want to challenge this. I'm going to call the mayor.

It was just strange. They didn't say "you can't" they said they would like it if I didn't come. I didn't want to be disrespectful I should have asked them what if I come back. Will they arrest me?

It was funny the one cop points to a sign with his flashlight and I read it. It said no dumping! Didn't say no trespassing.

I also thought, "how free are we really when I can't find some public woods and walk my dog without cops who don't know the laws telling innocent people what they can and can't do. Even if what I'm doing is legal.

I'll let you know what I find out. I will persue this.

PS. The cops were very polite but I didn't push them. I didn't challenge them. Blacks need to take my advice. Even though I feel I was right I didn't fight with the officer. They have bosses I will speak to. Maybe I'm wrong. I know my rights but I'm not 100% sure it's on to be where I was. Can't wait to find out.

I also didn't push too hard cause I had weed in the car. Lol

Go down to the PD and ask them to clarify it.
Off to the right might be private land. But the wetland/woods on the left are not. The cops position isn't always right. I'm going to em the mayor. I emailed them once asking why we can't deer hunt back there and they looked into it and replied. They said no. There are so many deer back there

They were checking you out...
My problem was when they asked me if I wouldn't mind please not coming here. If I can't then tell me and be able to tell me why. They were young cops. I hope they look into it and find out themselves if I had the right to be there or not.

I have a cop friend he bullies and barks commands at people all the time.

He told me he could arrest me for not obeying a lawful command. So is leave and don't come back a lawful command?

I walk my dog near a water treatment plant and wetlands/woods. Yesterday the cops pull up and I say,"is there a problem officers?" And they tell me "I'm not supposed to be out here" and I say why? They give me every reason from "for my safety" to its private land but every reason they give is not a good one. It's public land, no trespassing signs.

So what should be my first step? I don't want to defy them and just go back. They could be right? Can cops tell you not to be somewhere for any reason? I really want to challenge this. I'm going to call the mayor.

It was just strange. They didn't say "you can't" they said they would like it if I didn't come. I didn't want to be disrespectful I should have asked them what if I come back. Will they arrest me?

It was funny the one cop points to a sign with his flashlight and I read it. It said no dumping! Didn't say no trespassing.

I also thought, "how free are we really when I can't find some public woods and walk my dog without cops who don't know the laws telling innocent people what they can and can't do. Even if what I'm doing is legal.

PS. The cops were very polite but I didn't push them. I didn't challenge them. Blacks need to take my advice. Even though I feel I was right I didn't fight with the officer. They have bosses I will speak to. Maybe I'm wrong. I know my rights but I'm not 100% sure it's on to be where I was. Can't wait to find out.

A water treatment plant is usually surrounded by a tall chain link fence with barbed wire on top or at least the one I once worked at. Weed in the car and they search and find it, You're Busted! You were not walking your dog on private but public property and there may be hoodlums in the woods that will kill you and your dog. Pepper Spray does not stop a man with a gun. I am not siding with the cops but think they were concerned about your safety.

They were nice but I feel like they were wrong and I don't like being bullied or told what to do even if it's nicely.

You should have spoken for your dog and said:
(1). Dog lives matter!
(2). Paws up! Don't shoot!

A water treatment plant is usually surrounded by a tall chain link fence with barbed wire on top or at least the one I once worked at. Weed in the car and they search and find it, You're Busted! You were not walking your dog on private but public property and there may be hoodlums in the woods that will kill you and your dog. Pepper Spray does not stop a man with a gun. I am not siding with the cops but think they were concerned about your safety.
The plant is surrounded by fence. I'm on the other side.

No hoodlums in my neighborhood and I'm a guy so I should be free to walk in scary places.

They were nice but I feel like they were wrong and I don't like being bullied or told what to do even if it's nicely.

Don't be afraid to talk person to person with the cops. The Cops are the thin blue line that prevents anarchy in our society. Next time you see them have no pot in your car and your dog on a leash and smile and wave. They did not threaten you with a trespassing charge.

If it's public land is it a park or something? If so some department has authority over it and could answer those questions definitively.

Where I'm at I can pull up maps through the tax assessment offices that are clickable/searchable that will bring up info on the registered owner of a given land parcel, be it an individual or public body. There's your contact.

I suggest that next time you try resisting as an experiment.

BTW,
Cops should have busted you for not sharing your dope.

If it's public land is it a park or something? If so some department has authority over it and could answer those questions definitively.

Where I'm at I can pull up maps through the tax assessment offices that are clickable/searchable that will bring up info on the registered owner of a given land parcel, be it an individual or public body. There's your contact.

This is from the water treatment plant perspective. When the pumps fail the effluent overflows and seeks the lowest level which is usually a small natural stream. I would not walk my dog in a latrine. : )

Last edited:
Perhaps they were afraid that your dog would pick up a scent of a decomposing body or something and they would have to investigate instead of going home to there families. Did you think of that?

The plant is surrounded by fence. I'm on the other side.

No hoodlums in my neighborhood and I'm a guy so I should be free to walk in scary places.

I assumed that you meant a waste water treatment plant but you did not say that.

If it is public land, then you can use it.

You might ask them WHY they do not want you there?

Maybe the cops are operating a meth lab inside the water plant...who knows?

I once got pulled over for parking in a place that the police officer told me was a high crime area, that is why he was patrolling it. Had nothing to do with race or anything else.

It sounds like this could be the same situation. Maybe they were told to watch the infrastructure and they realized you were not a risk thus the polite treatment. But they still had a job to do.

If i were you I would just find a different place to walk, maybe it would be for your own good if there is criminal activity in the area.

many water treatment plants are actually privately owned

Forum List

Back