Netflix: Inventing Anna

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I love Julia Garner in the Netflix series Ozark. She came out of nowhere and blew my socks off playing the character Ruth Langmore.

Her acting is incredible. She totally owns the role and that may be a problem.

When I heard Garner was starring in a new Netflix series called Inventing Anna, I immediately signed up for a reminder when the series began. That start date was today. I could not activate the show fast enough.

You know how know no one would accept Leonard Nimoy in any other TV or movie roles other than Spock? This annoyed him so much that he wrote a book called I Am Not Spock. But he could not shake the persona and he finally succumbed and wrote a book I Am Spock. True story.

Well, in less than one minute after Inventing Anna started streaming, I was disappointed. I was not hearing Ruth Langmore's accented smarmy voice coming out of the character Anna Delvey/Anna Sorkin and my brain just could not reconcile to this.

I realize it is unfair of me. I know this. She is playing a fake New York socialite who scammed a lot of celebrities and power players, so it's not like the Langmore accent is appropriate here. But still...I think she's going to have to write a book I Am Not Ruth Langmore.

In actuality, Garner has to affect three different accents for this show. That has got to be difficult.

I saw a YouTube video of her being interviewed and she is just as brilliant as the characters she plays.

Anyway, I'm less than ten minutes into this new show and stopped to write this review. Stay tuned for more as I work my way through the series. If anyone can win me back it is Ruth Langmore Julia Garner.

All right, I'm 22 minutes and 47 seconds into the first episode and it just plain sucks, which has nothing to do with Julia Garner.

Horribly boring. Abort-abort-abort!

If anyone feels differently, feel free to post a rejoinder.

All right, I'm 22 minutes and 47 seconds into the first episode and it just plain sucks, which has nothing to do with Julia Garner.

Horribly boring. Abort-abort-abort!

If anyone feels differently, feel free to post a rejoinder.
This is exactly how I felt when I watched The Power Of The Dog. Only reason I watched it was due to Cumberbach. Love that guy. But he is better suited to a cape as Dr. Strange, or even Smaug. A cowboy and a mean one at that? No. Its as bad as Denzel Washington being a bad guy. Just not happenin'.

She is amazing in Ozark. I can't imagine the show without her. She plays the role absolutely perfectly.
Some actors have the ability to say so much with just a look, most actors can't do that. She nails it.
I haven't watched this yet, I have it marked... and like you, the only reason I am interested is seeing her.

Ruth is the only character that I hope survives at the end of Ozark.
In this season I am very disinterested in the story of the son's little tantrum. Boring.
I actually don't like Ruth's involvement with Darlene. I don't think she would involve herself with her.
She left the Byrdes because Wendy had her brother killed, so she teams up with someone who personally murdered her own husband?? And then shacks up with a kid??
No. Ruth wouldn't do that.
And I also am getting tired of suspending reality that Darlene's operation is someone untouchable. That the cartel, for some reason, doesn't just go to her house and kill her. They kill a Sheriff and kidnap a FBI agent... but afraid of an old woman and a weak kid? yeah... no.

In this season I am very disinterested in the story of the son's little tantrum. Boring.
I actually don't like Ruth's involvement with Darlene. I don't think she would involve herself with her.
She left the Byrdes because Wendy had her brother killed, so she teams up with someone who personally murdered her own husband?? And then shacks up with a kid??
And I also am getting tired of suspending reality that Darlene's operation is someone untouchable. That the cartel, for some reason, doesn't just go to her house and kill her. They kill a Sheriff and kidnap a FBI agent... but afraid of an old woman and a weak kid? yeah... no.
Did you see the last episode?

I love Julia Garner in the Netflix series Ozark. She came out of nowhere and blew my socks off playing the character Ruth Langmore.

When I heard Garner was starring in a new Netflix series called Inventing Anna, I immediately signed up for a reminder when the series began. That start date was today. I could not activate the show fast enough.

You know how know no one would accept Leonard Nimoy in any other TV or movie roles other than Spock? This annoyed him so much that he wrote a book called I Am Not Spock. But he could not shake the persona and he finally succumbed and wrote a book I Am Spock. True story.

Well, in less than one minute after Inventing Anna started streaming, I was disappointed. I was not hearing Ruth Langmore's accented smarmy voice coming out of the character Anna Delvey/Anna Sorkin and my brain just could not reconcile to this.

I realize it is unfair of me. I know this. She is playing a fake New York socialite who scammed a lot of celebrities and power players, so it's not like the Langmore accent is appropriate here. But still...I think she's going to have to write a book I Am Not Ruth Langmore.

In actuality, Garner has to affect three different accents for this show. That has got to be difficult.

I saw a YouTube video of her being interviewed and she is just as brilliant as the characters she plays.

Anyway, I'm less than ten minutes into this new show and stopped to write this review. Stay tuned for more as I work my way through the series. If anyone can win me back it is Ruth Langmore Julia Garner.
I tried to watch it last night. The music made me turn it off.

Picking movies because they star an actor you really liked in another movie is often going to disappoint. The reason is that an actor's job is to assume a role as defined by the director. So you may love an actor in one role and hate them in another. I've found the best way to pick movies I like is to pick themes of movie and the director. When the theme is right and director is right, it will most probably be a movie I like. It's the director who creates the movie. He molds the actors to create the role he envisions.

The exceptions are character actors or actors who typecast, that is they play the same roll in every movie with slight variations to fit each roll, for example Owen Wilson, Denzel Washington, Matthew Broderick, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, John Wayne, Cary Grant, Robert Redford, and Paul Newman.

I plan to watch the first few episodes of Ozark tonight. I'll look for Ruth Langmore

Last edited:
Have you watched it to the end?

This is exactly how I felt when I watched The Power Of The Dog. Only reason I watched it was due to Cumberbach. Love that guy. But he is better suited to a cape as Dr. Strange, or even Smaug. A cowboy and a mean one at that? No. Its as bad as Denzel Washington being a bad guy. Just not happenin'.
I really like Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes.

Watched the thing. Caught up on Ozark as well. Both great for planned napping through about the mid two thirds of each episode. Julia does save Ozark, but damn, her spoiled brat, screechy bitchiness can get aggravating at times. The reporter (also well done) saves Inventing Anna to some extent and there's an interesting twist at the end to inspire more thought and discussion.

She had three different accents in the first 5 minutes! She should win whatever award they give for Best Actress

One of the best series ever. I'm at episode 7

She had three different accents in the first 5 minutes! She should win whatever award they give for Best Actress

One of the best series ever. I'm at episode 7
What makes a great actor is his or her ability to create fully-realized three-dimensional people to fit a variety of roles, for example Dustin Hoffman, Gary Oldman, Kate Winset, or Christian Bale. We have many great movie screen personalities such as Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, etc who built screen personalities that the public loves. These actors often adapt their roles to fit their screen persona. but they are still Tom Hanks or Denzel Washington,.....

What makes a great actor is his or her ability to create fully-realized three-dimensional people to fit a variety of roles, for example Dustin Hoffman, Gary Oldman, Kate Winset, or Christian Bale. I suspect that Julia Garner may be such actor. We have many great movie screen personalities such as Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, etc who built screen personalities that the public loves. These actors often adapt their roles to fit their screen persona. but they are still Tom Hanks or Denzel Washington,.....By contrast Dustin Hoffman adapted his personality and appearance so well in Tootsie that he created Dorothy Michaels. Hoffman did such a good job audiences hated see her go and Hoffman return.

little bit too soon on this one :lol:

Forum List

Back