New Benghazi E-mails Link White House to Doctoring of Talking Points

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI....the CIA reviews numerous reports every day about terrorist attacks. Chatter about any terrorist attack back in 2001 is nothing earth-shattering.
"Bin Ladin Determined to Strike in US" is not really just another fly by night regular ole terrorist chatter or threat, don't cha think?

HERE is the full unclassified transcript that was in the full Presidential briefing:

The following is a transcript of the August 6, 2001, presidential daily briefing entitled Bin Laden determined to strike in US. Parts of the original document were not made public by the White House for security reasons.
Clandestine, foreign government, and media reports indicate bin Laden since 1997 has wanted to conduct terrorist attacks in the US. Bin Laden implied in U.S. television interviews in 1997 and 1998 that his followers would follow the example of World Trade Center bomber Ramzi Yousef and "bring the fighting to America."

After U.S. missile strikes on his base in Afghanistan in 1998, bin Laden told followers he wanted to retaliate in Washington, according to a -- -- service.
An Egyptian Islamic Jihad (EIJ) operative told - - service at the same time that bin Laden was planning to exploit the operative's access to the U.S. to mount a terrorist strike.

The millennium plotting in Canada in 1999 may have been part of bin Laden's first serious attempt to implement a terrorist strike in the U.S.
Convicted plotter Ahmed Ressam has told the FBI that he conceived the idea to attack Los Angeles International Airport himself, but that in ---, Laden lieutenant Abu Zubaydah encouraged him and helped facilitate the operation. Ressam also said that in 1998 Abu Zubaydah was planning his own U.S. attack.

Ressam says bin Laden was aware of the Los Angeles operation. Although Bin Laden has not succeeded, his attacks against the U.S. Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 demonstrate that he prepares operations years in advance and is not deterred by setbacks. Bin Laden associates surveyed our embassies in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam as early as 1993, and some members of the Nairobi cell planning the bombings were arrested and deported in 1997.

Al Qaeda members -- including some who are U.S. citizens -- have resided in or traveled to the U.S. for years, and the group apparently maintains a support structure that could aid attacks.

Two al-Qaeda members found guilty in the conspiracy to bomb our embassies in East Africa were U.S. citizens, and a senior EIJ member lived in California in the mid-1990s.

A clandestine source said in 1998 that a bin Laden cell in New York was recruiting Muslim-American youth for attacks.

We have not been able to corroborate some of the more sensational threat reporting, such as that from a ---- service in 1998 saying that Bin Laden wanted to hijack a U.S. aircraft to gain the release of "Blind Sheikh" Omar Abdel Rahman and other U.S.-held extremists.

Nevertheless, FBI information since that time indicates patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings or other types of attacks, including recent surveillance of federal buildings in New York.

The FBI is conducting approximately 70 full-field investigations throughout the U.S. that it considers bin Laden-related. CIA and the FBI are investigating a call to our embassy in the UAE in May saying that a group or bin Laden supporters was in the U.S. planning attacks with explosives.
Now I am not saying that President Bush could have done more than what was done, but I am saying this Presidential Briefing was much more than a simple every day terrorist warning, as it seems that you are implying...?

Last edited:
What kook website invented that bullshit you spewed?

As someone that has seen the reports....shut the fuck up. You have no clue how much intel the CIA has to dig through regarding this group and that group plotting to blow up, shoot, kidnap, etc Americans around the world.

FYI....the CIA reviews numerous reports every day about terrorist attacks. Chatter about any terrorist attack back in 2001 is nothing earth-shattering.
"Bin Ladin Determined to Strike in US" is not really just another fly by night regular ole terrorist chatter or threat, don't cha think?

HERE is the full unclassified transcript that was in the full Presidential briefing:

The following is a transcript of the August 6, 2001, presidential daily briefing entitled Bin Laden determined to strike in US. Parts of the original document were not made public by the White House for security reasons.
Clandestine, foreign government, and media reports indicate bin Laden since 1997 has wanted to conduct terrorist attacks in the US. Bin Laden implied in U.S. television interviews in 1997 and 1998 that his followers would follow the example of World Trade Center bomber Ramzi Yousef and "bring the fighting to America."

After U.S. missile strikes on his base in Afghanistan in 1998, bin Laden told followers he wanted to retaliate in Washington, according to a -- -- service.
An Egyptian Islamic Jihad (EIJ) operative told - - service at the same time that bin Laden was planning to exploit the operative's access to the U.S. to mount a terrorist strike.

The millennium plotting in Canada in 1999 may have been part of bin Laden's first serious attempt to implement a terrorist strike in the U.S.
Convicted plotter Ahmed Ressam has told the FBI that he conceived the idea to attack Los Angeles International Airport himself, but that in ---, Laden lieutenant Abu Zubaydah encouraged him and helped facilitate the operation. Ressam also said that in 1998 Abu Zubaydah was planning his own U.S. attack.

Ressam says bin Laden was aware of the Los Angeles operation. Although Bin Laden has not succeeded, his attacks against the U.S. Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 demonstrate that he prepares operations years in advance and is not deterred by setbacks. Bin Laden associates surveyed our embassies in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam as early as 1993, and some members of the Nairobi cell planning the bombings were arrested and deported in 1997.

Al Qaeda members -- including some who are U.S. citizens -- have resided in or traveled to the U.S. for years, and the group apparently maintains a support structure that could aid attacks.

Two al-Qaeda members found guilty in the conspiracy to bomb our embassies in East Africa were U.S. citizens, and a senior EIJ member lived in California in the mid-1990s.

A clandestine source said in 1998 that a bin Laden cell in New York was recruiting Muslim-American youth for attacks.

We have not been able to corroborate some of the more sensational threat reporting, such as that from a ---- service in 1998 saying that Bin Laden wanted to hijack a U.S. aircraft to gain the release of "Blind Sheikh" Omar Abdel Rahman and other U.S.-held extremists.

Nevertheless, FBI information since that time indicates patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings or other types of attacks, including recent surveillance of federal buildings in New York.

The FBI is conducting approximately 70 full-field investigations throughout the U.S. that it considers bin Laden-related. CIA and the FBI are investigating a call to our embassy in the UAE in May saying that a group or bin Laden supporters was in the U.S. planning attacks with explosives.
Now I am not saying that President Bush could have done more than what was done, but I am saying this Presidential Briefing was much more than a simple every day terrorist warning, as it seems that you are implying...?

As someone that has seen the reports....shut the fuck up. You have no clue how much intel the CIA has to dig through regarding this group and that group plotting to blow up, shoot, kidnap, etc Americans around the world.

oops, forgot the link.... CNN dear one.... :eusa_angel:

CNN.com - Transcript: Bin Laden determined to strike in US - Apr 10, 2004

So? There are probably a million camel jockeys determined to strike the US. Being determined and being able aren't the same thing.
What the fuck does this have to do with the doctored Benghazi talking points that Obama lied about?

Trying to divert the conversation is all they've got. And it won't work.

So? There are probably a million camel jockeys determined to strike the US. Being determined and being able aren't the same thing.
What the fuck does this have to do with the doctored Benghazi talking points that Obama lied about?

I really don't know what 1776's comment had to do with...? I was reading the thread backwards, last post first, and his post was there and I had just read the full Presidential Briefing for the 'Bin Laden determined to attack US' this morning for the first time and that's why I responded in the manner I did...his post made me think of the CIA and other intelligence agencies synopsis of our threat here, given in the PB.

As far as documents being doctored, I just don't see it as anything other than normal....

the supposed "we gothcha" is specifically talking about ALL OF THE PROTESTS, that had and were taking place associated with the video....

And I do not in any way think that it is abnormal for someone representing the administration going on the tv talk shows... being briefed on the angle the administration wants to follow, it's just common knowledge that this is what is done by absolutely every Administration, it is all scripted and approved by all the important factors when it comes to foreign affairs...

So what is this big "gotcha" when it comes to the briefing for Susan Rice for the talk shows on Sunday when the briefing was covering ALL of the civil unrest with Muslims throughout the world....

Yes, I agree Benghazi was not a direct result from the video, but I do believe that we were NOT 100 PERCENT in the know of what actually did happen this early in the game, with Benghazi and if the admin wanted to play it as possibly being a part of all other attacks that took place that day and previous and following days...until they knew for certain what happened, how it happened, who actually did it and all that jazz, it's just not a problem or some evil thing as you all are portraying....not to me...

after all, the eyewitnesses to the account say that the men shouting from the trucks in the attack, were shouting that this was "payback" for the disgracing Mohamed video....so the real attackers TRIED to portray that their attack was DUE TO the video, EVEN though NOW we know they were just hiding behind the video and pulling strangers off the street to protest and shout that it was about the video....when it was just a pure act of vengeance and hatred in the guise of being upset with a video....

Could be 9/11 was chosen as the date for all of the other protests throughout the world to show disgust against the US because the Dude who made/released the (blasphemous to them) Mohamed video was in the USA....?

or

maybe it was a perfectly coordinated worldwide protest against the supposed video, that was truly organized by AlQaeda types to instigate hatred and civil unrest?

Benghazi was an attack, different than the other protests from what I have read, it was fairly quick with heavy ammo, and an attack from the get go...there still were shouts from the locals they recruited just previous to their attack about the video....though....within the week the administration was calling Benghazi an act of terror by a group that "used" the excuse of the video to attack us....which is TRUE.

I just don't see why this upsets republicans so much, they still would have lost the election even if Obama had worded or said or given other talking points that would have pleased the republicans....???

Last edited:

I really don't know what 1776's comment had to do with...? I was reading the thread backwards, last post first, and his post was there and I had just read the full Presidential Briefing for the 'Bin Laden determined to attack US' this morning for the first time and that's why I responded in the manner I did...his post made me think of the CIA and other intelligence agencies synopsis of our threat here, given in the PB.

As far as documents being doctored, I just don't see it as anything other than normal....

the supposed "we gothcha" is specifically talking about ALL OF THE PROTESTS, that had and were taking place associated with the video....

And I do not in any way think that it is abnormal for someone representing the administration going on the tv talk shows... being briefed on the angle the administration wants to follow, it's just common knowledge that this is what is done by absolutely every Administration, it is all scripted and approved by all the important factors when it comes to foreign affairs...

So what is this big "gotcha" when it comes to the briefing for Susan Rice for the talk shows on Sunday when the briefing was covering ALL of the civil unrest with Muslims throughout the world....

Yes, I agree Benghazi was not a direct result from the video, but I do believe that we were NOT 100 PERCENT in the know of what actually did happen this early in the game, with Benghazi and if the admin wanted to play it as possibly being a part of all other attacks that took place that day and previous and following days...until they knew for certain what happened, how it happened, who actually did it and all that jazz, it's just not a problem or some evil thing as you all are portraying....not to me...

after all, the eyewitnesses to the account say that the men shouting from the trucks in the attack, were shouting that this was "payback" for the disgracing Mohamed video....so the real attackers TRIED to portray that their attack was DUE TO the video, EVEN though NOW we know they were just hiding behind the video and pulling strangers off the street to protest and shout that it was about the video....when it was just a pure act of vengeance and hatred in the guise of being upset with a video....

Could be 9/11 was chosen as the date for all of the other protests throughout the world to show disgust against the US because the Dude who made/released the (blasphemous to them) Mohamed video was in the USA....?

or

maybe it was a perfectly coordinated worldwide protest against the supposed video, that was truly organized by AlQaeda types to instigate hatred and civil unrest?

Benghazi was an attack, different than the other protests from what I have read, it was fairly quick with heavy ammo, and an attack from the get go...there still were shouts from the locals they recruited just previous to their attack about the video....though....within the week the administration was calling Benghazi an act of terror by a group that "used" the excuse of the video to attack us....which is TRUE.

I just don't see why this upsets republicans so much, they still would have lost the election even if Obama had worded or said or given other talking points that would have pleased the republicans....???
A well-thought out response, but still no excuse for the lack of reaction for the Americans under attack. I do not believe that a stronger president or secretary of state would have allowed that to happen, I do not believe that Putin would have done what he did with a stronger administration. The US has been damned by weakness, and thus the world.

I wasn't aware that Mr. Bush was running for president against Hillary. Thank you for that insight!

For whatever difference that might make.....

My brother kept us safe (LOL) Jeb Bush is likely to run for president against Hillary if she runs.

Forget about Tora Bora & Bush saying I don't care about BinLadin. Don't ask why Bush ignored his colleague Putin's 9/11 warning hours before.

Tora Bora, an example of the Pakistanis helping Bin Laden escape.

Where was Bin Laden when we killed him?

Pakistan???????

Dumb-ass.

Now explain how a general warning helps during 911.

Wrong idiot! Allowing Bin Laden to escape from Tora Bora was a failure of leadership from the top down. It was the Bush administration fault Bin Laden escaped.

[youtube]mmtPBTybQ9k[/youtube]
[youtube]4PGmnz5Ow-o[/youtube]

or

Stop...Benghazi was never a protest about the video. It was never about a group using the video as an excuse to attack our diplomats. If you look at the steady escalation of attacks by militant Islamic groups in Libya leading up to 9/11, it's OBVIOUS that Libya was becoming an extremely dangerous place to be and it should have equally obvious that the anniversary of 9/11 was a day to be extra prepared for attacks.

The reason that I'm angry about Benghazi is that it's symptomatic of a mindset that naively believes that if one treats bad people nicely...that bad people will return the favor. Four Americans are dead and we were given a serious black eye in the ongoing battle against Islamic terrorists because the people in charge of things didn't have their shit together.

We didn't provide the security that was obviously needed and we didn't recognize that there was a serious problem looming. That's incompetence. That's annoying. What makes it something that angers me is that rather than take responsibility for some really bad judgement and do everything they could to help those people whose lives were in peril, our State Department was doing "damage control"...trying to figure out how to spin the story so they didn't look bad six weeks before an election. THAT is what makes me angry!

Then to compound the situation this White House has continued to lie about how this situation was handled...lie about it for a year and a half. That to me is worse than the original sin of incompetence. You can learn from your mistakes but not if you don't own up to them. This Administration NEVER takes responsibility for it's fuck ups! They constantly point fingers at others as the reason why things haven't worked.

My brother kept us safe (LOL) Jeb Bush is likely to run for president against Hillary if she runs.

Forget about Tora Bora & Bush saying I don't care about BinLadin. Don't ask why Bush ignored his colleague Putin's 9/11 warning hours before.

Tora Bora, an example of the Pakistanis helping Bin Laden escape.

Where was Bin Laden when we killed him?

Pakistan???????

Dumb-ass.

Now explain how a general warning helps during 911.

Wrong idiot! Allowing Bin Laden to escape from Tora Bora was a failure of leadership from the top down. It was the Bush administration fault Bin Laden escaped.

[youtube]mmtPBTybQ9k[/youtube]
[youtube]4PGmnz5Ow-o[/youtube]

Dude, that was, like, 13 years ago.

Actually, Bin Laden was helped by our allies, so it wasn't Bush's fault that we can't trust Pakistan.

Come back when you know what you're talking about dirtbag.

Now, I repeat my question; Explain how a general message warning us of a imminent attack from Putin gives one enough information to prevent it from happening? Did anyone ever fly jets into sky-scrapers before?

No.......never.....

Last edited:
There were people there in Benghazi who claimed the video was why they were angry. That was from initial eye-witness accounts. Now we read the Al-Sharia group was gathering restless Muslims from nearby neighborhoods to chant against the film.

Newsflash paperview! Ansar al-Sharia didn't care about the video. Not one iota. They were rounding up those who were upset about it so they could use it as cover for an attack! We normal people call that STRATEGIC PLANNING. These terrorist groups are well known for exploiting any situation to their advantage. Those "restless Muslims" didn't carry out the attack. Ansar al-Sharia did, with trained men, with mortars and rocket launchers. Besides, intelligence says there was no protest outside of the Embassy before the attack, so ultimately this contradicts your claim, from 2 years ago.

The problem with the whole Stategic Planning argument is that they would have to know that Stevens was going to be there that day. They didn't. They just happened to get lucky he was caught up in the riot.

And, no intelligence says there was a demonstration in Benghazi.

Is this all about why terrorist attacked us in Benghazi. Over a video. Or because of 9'11 or whatever? Who the hell care. We have four dead Americans killer terrorist. Reason not important. It was a terrorist attack. period.

Last edited:
And now we have a Reagan reference! Is there no liberal in this thread willing to take on the facts of the matter? We're taking strolls down memory lane, when we should be firmly rooted at the corner of reality and facts. Besides, the Beirut Barracks Bombing can be countered with the Iranian Hostage Crisis under Carter. He left those poor civilians in that airplane for over 400 days! It took the mere election of Ronald Reagan to get them freed. How soon do we all forget.

Um, I realize you are too young to remember that... but an AIRPLANE?

I think your history is a little faulty, sonny boy.

And, no, the Iranians did not free the hostages because of Reagan.

The Iranians took hostages because we admitted the Shah into our country for cancer treatment, and the Iranians were legitimattly worried that we were planning another coup to put him back in power, just like we had done in 1953.

The main reason why they let them go was because the Shah had died, and we had promised to return assets that had been frozen. (Incidently, we have not yet returned those assets.)

There you go again Joe. We didn't admit the Shah into the United States, Jimmy Carter blocked him from entering the United States. Jimmy Carter supported the uprising in Iran until they took Americans hostage, then he was confused that they would do that after he voiced his support. Just like Obama, Carter's foreign policy was, "If we just love them enough, they'll love us back."

Joe, I'm 70 and have been a News Hawk since grade school, take your Obama propaganda elsewhere, it doesn't work on informed people, it only works on "low information" voters. (Democrat base)

So I'm going to assume you are senile, then?

From the Encylopedia Britanica.

Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi (shah of Iran) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

on January 16, 1979, the shah left the country, and Khomeini assumed control. Although the shah did not abdicate, a referendum resulted in the declaration on April 1, 1979, of an Islamic republic in Iran. The shah traveled to Egypt, Morocco, The Bahamas, and Mexico before entering the United States on October 22, 1979, for medical treatment of lymphatic cancer. Two weeks later Iranian militants seized the U.S. embassy in Tehrān and took hostage more than 50 Americans, demanding the extradition of the shah in return for the hostages’ release. Extradition was refused, but the shah later left for Panama and then Cairo, where he was granted asylum by President Anwar el-Sadat.

Of couse, TK seems to think the hostages in Iran were on a plane, that was his original claim. ONe could only imagine how ripe the bathroom on that plane was...

Is this all about why terrorist attacked us in Benghazi. Over a video. Or because of 9'11 or whatever? Who the hell care. We have four dead Americans killer terrorist. Reason not important.

Hitting the sauce on a Sunday, Lil? Shame...shame...shame!!!

Is this all about why terrorist attacked us in Benghazi. Over a video. Or because of 9'11 or whatever? Who the hell care. We have four dead Americans killer terrorist. Reason not important.

Hitting the sauce on a Sunday, Lil? Shame...shame...shame!!!

Logical argument over and lost the troll turns to personal attack. How very......Democratic!

[

Carter did offer sanctuary to the Shah, and he was admitted to the US. The US Embassy in Tehran opposed it, but Carter let him in anyway. He was pressured by Henry Kissinger, Nelson Rockefeller and others supporting the Shah at the time to do so. As such, Iranian revolutionaries used this failure in Carter's judgement to justify that the Shah was nothing more than an American puppet. This move angered many people in Iran. It ultimately led to the storming of the embassy there by students loyal to the Ayatollah.

What Joe doesn't get though is that this was a colossal failure in foreign policy for the Carter Administration, and is directly responsible for the hostage crisis. It wasn't until 1981 when the US and Iran signed the Algiers Accords, that the Khomeini supporters agreed to free the hostages. The concerns the Iranians had were illegitimate, though, as evidenced by the signing of these accords. These "concerns" Joe mentions didn't justify taking 52 people hostage.

Carter fucked this one up, and Joe knows it.

So you are admitting the hostages weren't on a plane for 400 days, like you said before?

Ahhhh, Progress.

Anyway, the whole "Carter failed in Iran" meme is premised onthere was anything that Carter could have done to save the Shah from the righteous anger of his own people.

The actual story of the hostage crisis is a bit more complicated. The Students (and it was students, initially) who stormed the embassy did so because they thought that the Shah g oing to the US was the precursor to another attempt by the CIA to put him back into power, just like the CIA had done in 1953 when they helped him depose Mossadeq (I'm not looking up the spelling). Later, AFTER the failure of a rescue mission (where not one Iranian was encountered) the Iranian government took charge of the hostages and scattered them across the country to prevent another rescue attempt.

The mistake was not handing the Shah over when the Iranians asked for him. The man was a war criminal, by any standard.

There were people there in Benghazi who claimed the video was why they were angry. That was from initial eye-witness accounts. Now we read the Al-Sharia group was gathering restless Muslims from nearby neighborhoods to chant against the film.

Newsflash paperview! Ansar al-Sharia didn't care about the video. Not one iota. They were rounding up those who were upset about it so they could use it as cover for an attack! We normal people call that STRATEGIC PLANNING. These terrorist groups are well known for exploiting any situation to their advantage. Those "restless Muslims" didn't carry out the attack. Ansar al-Sharia did, with trained men, with mortars and rocket launchers. Besides, intelligence says there was no protest outside of the Embassy before the attack, so ultimately this contradicts your claim, from 2 years ago.

The problem with the whole Stategic Planning argument is that they would have to know that Stevens was going to be there that day. They didn't. They just happened to get lucky he was caught up in the riot.

Stevens did not think there was a need for more security. Until the attack. WHY? What difference does it make if the four americans were killed by protesters or terrorist???

Democrats Should Boycott Benghazi Committee, Schiff Says
“I don’t think it makes sense for us to give this select committee any more credibility than it deserves,” he said. “And frankly, I don’t think it deserves very much.”
Democrats Should Boycott Benghazi Committee, Schiff Says - Bloomberg

Maybe 7,000 people saw the video or a trailer for this video prior to Sept.11 2012...

So are we to believe that Muslims freaked out over something seen by 7,000 people?

It doesn't matter how many people saw it.

It matters how many people HEARD about it.

Sorry you can't make that distinction.

Hardly anyone heard about it before Sept 11, 2012.

Yeah, that must have been why they were taking their time looking for him....because they didn't even know he was there.

You idiots haven't a clue, so you just make it up as you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back