New Curfew Law May Cost Parents $500 If Teens are Out Past 11:00

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

Baltimore Residents React To Stricter Curfew

In just a few weeks, Baltimore City will have the toughest curfew laws in the country and Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is hoping to set the records straight on all that the law entails.

With the new law, teens under 14 years old have to be off the streets by 9 p.m. Those 14 to 16 years of age can stay out no later than 10 during the week and no later than 11 on the weekends and during the summer.

But will it work?

“I don’t know if it’s going to do anything,” said one teen.

“It’s already been in place in Panama and all the kids do is break the rules and nothing really is done about it,” said Alexandra Diaz-Albertini.

The law, while meant to do more good than harm, is drawing criticism from parents who, with the new law could be fined $500 if their kids are out late.

A stiff price to pay but other parents say it could help.

Baltimore Residents React To Stricter Curfew « CBS Baltimore

Concerned parents can go to a workshop on disciplining teens and not be held responsible for the fine. I think it is a good idea.

In just a few weeks, Baltimore City will have the toughest curfew laws in the country and Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is hoping to set the records straight on all that the law entails.

With the new law, teens under 14 years old have to be off the streets by 9 p.m. Those 14 to 16 years of age can stay out no later than 10 during the week and no later than 11 on the weekends and during the summer.

But will it work?

“It’s already been in place in Panama and all the kids do is break the rules and nothing really is done about it,” said Alexandra Diaz-Albertini.

The law, while meant to do more good than harm, is drawing criticism from parents who, with the new law could be fined $500 if their kids are out late.

Concerned parents can go to a workshop on disciplining teens and not be held responsible for the fine. I think it is a good idea.

I have never been a fan of curfews, they are an attempted state run band-aid for poor parenting, coupled with ineffective policing and a too lenient justice system for minors.

Its easier just to say "no kids out after X" thus restricting the freedom of kids able to handle themselves, in order to look like you are "doing something" about the smaller percentage that causes the problems.

But will it work?

I have never been a fan of curfews, they are an attempted state run band-aid for poor parenting, coupled with ineffective policing and a too lenient justice system for minors.

Its easier just to say "no kids out after X" thus restricting the freedom of kids able to handle themselves, in order to look like you are "doing something" about the smaller percentage that causes the problems.

I think it will force some parents into parenting classes. That's good for some haven't a clue. If I was going to be fined $500 if I was ignored and my daughter was going out with friends, my kids would be the ones that didn't get the tennis shoes and latest clothes they wanted, that's for certain! And by the way...hand over the phone and Ipod.

But will it work?

Is there a provision for parenting classes? This needs to be included if they are going to fine people $500. How are they going to collect the fine if the parent cant afford to pay? Sending them to jail is going to leave no one at home to supervise the kids. The majority of people letting their kids out on the streets after 9pm at that age have probably already given up on life. Unfortunately, I think the end result will be more people caught up in the system. Good effort but this needs to be thought all the way through.

Is there a provision for parenting classes? This needs to be included if they are going to fine people $500. How are they going to collect the fine if the parent cant afford to pay? Sending them to jail is going to leave no one at home to supervise the kids. The majority of people letting their kids out on the streets after 9pm at that age have probably already given up on life. Unfortunately, I think the end result will be more people caught up in the system. Good effort but this needs to be thought all the way through.
Bingo! That's the whole point of this. To put MORE people into the Prison Industrial Complex.

But will it work?

I think it will force some parents into parenting classes. That's good for some haven't a clue. If I was going to be fined $500 if I was ignored and my daughter was going out with friends, my kids would be the ones that didn't get the tennis shoes and latest clothes they wanted, that's for certain! And by the way...hand over the phone and Ipod.

Then why not force parenting classes on parents of kids who are caught actually doing something bad, as opposed to just being out on the street after a given time.

To me, its again, just something so politicians can say they are "doing something" about it.

I dont know if it was just me but there is more to the article I didnt see the first time for some reason. The $550 dollar fine can be waived if the person signs up for parenting classes. Sounds like a hollow law that will probably help a few people. However, I can already see the bored, inattentive faces of the parents who are just going through the motions.

Then why not force parenting classes on parents of kids who are caught actually doing something bad, as opposed to just being out on the street after a given time.

To me, its again, just something so politicians can say they are "doing something" about it.

Think about this. If you have a child who never goes out at night, follows the house rules, you probably won't attend the parenting classes. But if you are having difficulty with your teen and discipline is becoming an issue, you are more likely to attend the classes. If your teen is out of control and will not listen to you, you definitely will go to avoid that fine.

This course is not forced on anyone. But if you want to avoid that fine, you had better go. This is America. You can't force anyone to f=do anything unless you are the president and then you have to buy insurance for others, but I digress...:eusa_silenced: lol

I dont know if it was just me but there is more to the article I didnt see the first time for some reason. The $550 dollar fine can be waived if the person signs up for parenting classes. Sounds like a hollow law that will probably help a few people. However, I can already see the bored, inattentive faces of the parents who are just going through the motions.

You know, I worked with inner city parents who largely meant well with their children but didn't know how to deal with them. I give them more credit than you do. Many may seek answers and ask for help.

You know, I worked with inner city parents who largely meant well with their children but didn't know how to deal with them. I give them more credit than you do. Many may seek answers and ask for help.

The problem is that the kids are bringing home the cash and the drugs. Those parents like that.

That's the whole point of this. To put MORE people into the Prison Industrial Complex.
Hah hah yup that is how I'd go about filling prisons if I were the local government.

Forget enacting stricter criminal penalties for adults nah that makes too much sense, let's do it with something that is a civil offense that carries absolutely no criminal penalties, a fine of between $30 to $500 that can be waived if one goes to a class.

Makes perfect sense.

I recently read this article:

The Overprotected Kid

A preoccupation with safety has stripped childhood of independence, risk taking, and discovery—without making it safer. A new kind of playground points to a better solution.

It's depressing with a ray of hope. Kid's these days are so overprotected, that we are nurturing risk-taking, a sense of adventure, independence, etc. out of them.

It's time to Free Range kids.

We are talking about one extreme to another. I agree with what you are saying. I have friends whose 13 year olds until recently have never gone out anywhere without their parents in tow. Even to the movies. They ask their friends to go to a movie, then a parent goes with them. They will be 14 this month.

They just recently went to a restaurant by themselves.. 3 boys. Before they went, reviewed tipping etc, then they walked to the movie and picked them up at the movie theater afterwards. The waitress tried to pick up one of the boys. She gave him her number. She was 21!

More control of freedoms...

These are minor children. They have no such freedoms.
Curfews are the result of bad parenting and the fact that to many kids are assaulted or killed during hours when they should be inside their homes.

I recently read this article:

The Overprotected Kid

A preoccupation with safety has stripped childhood of independence, risk taking, and discovery—without making it safer. A new kind of playground points to a better solution.

It's depressing with a ray of hope. Kid's these days are so overprotected, that we are nurturing risk-taking, a sense of adventure, independence, etc. out of them.

It's time to Free Range kids.

I agree. We live in the age of the 'helicopter parent'..
However, the game changes at night fall.

I agree its going to help some. However, I grew up in the inner city and I know the $500 is going to cause some resentment. Couple that with a lot of those parents having given up they will just go to the class and never change their ways. It has good intentions and will benefit some. I just think they need to find a better way than punishing people. That hardly ever works.

Forum List

Back