new memo that states gun confiscation is required

You don’t understand.

If you are going to try and pinpoint a reason that the murder rate is higher, using the UK is irrelevant. IOW, many times this conversation goes to things like the UK’s strict gun laws or other such nonsense. That comparison is not useful. To get a reading on why our murder rate is what it is other nation’s data does not tell us much. Sure, you can state that we have a problem because they are doing better but even that is rather vapid. The UK has a MUCH more homogenous population that the US does. Do you not think that plays a factor? We have a third world nation on our southern border. Do you think that also plays no factor? Those factors play rather large roles in raising our homicide rate and those are not going to change anytime soon. I have some things that I think would help ‘fix’ some of that but then again, they are not popular proposals :(

Like I said, there are a shit ton of factors involved. Narrowing those down to things that should be changed involves introspection far more than extrospection.

To be honest, the UK has a rather mixed population. 85% white to the US's 72%. Yes, it is majority white, majority British. Does this play a part?

The UK has had an influx of Polish and other eastern European people come in, as well as Pakistanis, Indians, Nigerians, Ghanians and so on. Part of the problem of having the British Empire on your doorstep.
Well, I'd say that the integration of black people especially is a difficult one in both countries, for what ever reasons.
The British have had the Yardies from Jamaica come in with guns and other gangs have felt the need for guns because of this, and they came in without needing visas.
However, the US has grown up with guns, and this is one of the major issues at play, rather than demographics.

I'd also say the US has a history of making problems, slavery and segregation, and then post segregation where racism went under the table.

There are tons of reasons why this exists, and the US needs to deal with them. Though, it's far easier to deal with issues in the present than the past. If you get education to be an important part of society, changing the way communities work, then you can have a real positive experience.

Research Center: After-School Programs

You can have a look at a number of studies like this one, which show the positive effects that after school programs can have, for example.

It's not that I don't understand, I do realise there are plenty of differences between countries. However the US has a far higher murder rate than any other first world country, and not even by a little way either, it's a MASSIVE difference.

So you need to understand why people on the left try and solve the problem. You need to understand that they're banging their heads on the wall trying to solve a problem because they simply don't see how the problem can realistically be solved.

I'm not advocating taking guns away, i'm advocating changing the way the country actually operates. Instead of having kids festering in crime ridden areas with no hope in their life but striking it rich through crime, to make it about one of opportunities for all.

The slogan "everyone can make it in the US with hard work" simply doesn't exist at present, it can only happen if all kids are giving a decent change in life from an early age. And then, you might see a reduction in murder.

Well, this is usually the first pitch of the left. Well the murder rate is higher in the US than in Switzerland, or Sweden, or England or France or what the hell ever. You are absolutely correct in comparing relatively homogenous countries like Europe to the United States. We are a nation of hundreds of different cultures and (as you rightly pointed out) a 3rd world country on our Southern Border whose citizens frequently sneak into this country.

When that fails to "tip the tide", they resort to claiming the "ignorance" of those who own weapons as though by doing so, will somehow "shame" those folks into suddenly "giving up" their rights to protection as outlined ion the 2nd amendment.

When that fails - they simply resort to name calling - again, that doesn't work either.

So, your answer to the problem is "well, we're different, not much we can do about it then"?

You see why the US is going downhill fast?

[MENTION=47936]AntiParty[/MENTION]

It's not what the "NRA says" it what the White House itself said. We have the White House memo, and now it's authenticity has been confirmed.

"we have the whitehouse memo"

Really?

Who is we and why is it not part of this journey?

The NRA is now a part of the Military Industrial Complex. It's why my bullets to hunt are $1 a shot and everyone I know is crying about a lack of ammo.

Education/The Pen is mightier than the sword.

Forum List

Back