🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

New York gets things done, much of the U.S not so much.

SobieskiSavedEurope

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2017
Putnam Lake, NY raised, Pawling, NY resident.
This is why I like New York better than much of the country.

New York State steps in to create awesome things.

Take the Walkway over the Hudson.

There was an old abandoned rail-bridge.

New York State stepped in to fund the biggest pedestrian bridge in the World.

This is beautiful, entertaining, and good for tourism.

Why many people in the U.S would complain about this, is beyond me.

That's kind of why most of your states are boring, or ugly.

Now, they are going to make an Empire Trail to connect New York City with Canada, and Buffalo with rail trails.

Minnewaska is another great example.

In most states it would have become a development.

But, the state stepped in, and saved it.

Now, they are going to make an Empire Trail to connect New York City with Canada, and Buffalo with rail trails.

Yeah that way the illegal immigrants can leave Canada and enter into the US much easier and vice versa. It's a pathway to sink us be giving easier access to illegal entry , oh wait it will be legal that way it fks the US up even faster than Europe.

NY is a beautiful state. Although it does have its problems.

• Banned

Yeah that way the illegal immigrants can leave Canada and enter into the US much easier and vice versa. It's a pathway to sink us be giving easier access to illegal entry , oh wait it will be legal that way it fks the US up even faster than Europe.

Who's coming in from Canada illegally?
Well, other than a trickle of Irish people...... Irish need apply, other things not so much.

New York State has a lot going for it,,,

Now, if it could just get rid of the pimple Bloomberg is currently in charge of,,,

Paranoid much? Trust me Canadians aren’t flocking here. Not even trickling lol

Who's coming in from Canada illegally?
Well, other than a trickle of Irish people...... Irish need apply, other things not so much.

LOL yeah , yeah I know.

City data admits that the crime index for NYC is below 230, while the U.S average is above 285.

http://www.city-data.com/city/New-York-New-York.html

While, it is true that at one time NYC had a high crime rate by U.S standards , that's now history.

That's largely because NYC's Gulliani got things done, and cleaned up NYC, that includes by hiring a lot of cops.
Also stop, and frisk was "Getting things done" down the line.

NY is a beautiful state. Although it does have its problems.

NY has a lot of great things, much of it's racial diversity is not among them.... Well... I respect Little Poland (Greenpoint), Little Italy, Chinatown, Irish Woodlawn, and so forth.
Black Brownsville, Puerto Rican Hunts Point, Hasidim section of Williamsburg, and the Dominican Washington Heights, not really, in fact quite the opposite of "Respect"

If you like it enjoy it while you can. The SALT deduction that is on the chopping block is the only thing that has been keeping NY from collapsing since the institution of the income tax, it was bailed out of insolvency twice in the 20th century. And since Europe attempted continental suicide twice in the same period you are damning NY with extremely faint praise. Afterall most New Yorkers are descended from people who had the good sense to get out of Europe while the getting was good.

Well, there's New York State, which - if you exclude NYC - is a great New England state, with all that that implies. Beautiful, friendly, scenic, historical...great.

NYC, on the other hand...has its issues. How many years did it take to DO THE PERMITTING for the new building to replace WTC? This is the city where ONE-FOURTH of the population is either on the public payroll or is supported by someone on the public payroll. The city where janitors in the schools make six figure salaries, and incompetent teachers are paid to play video games.

I once worked on a project in NYC. There was an old building that they wanted to tear down. Got an estimate from a demo company for $55,000. Then the CITY got involved. Can't tear it down because it has asbestos. Can't remove the asbestos because the building wasn't structurally safe. Had to PAY TO HAVE THE. BUILDING REINFORCED, so that the asbestos could be abated, so it could be torn down. $3 million later...

When Senator Cruz spoke about "New York Values" he wasn't talking about the first responders on 9/11. He was talking about a city where "everybody" is out to screw everybody else. At least is seems that way to outsiders. We in flyover country.

Well, there's New York State, which - if you exclude NYC - is a great New England state, with all that that implies. Beautiful, friendly, scenic, historical...great.

NYC, on the other hand...has its issues. How many years did it take to DO THE PERMITTING for the new building to replace WTC? This is the city where ONE-FOURTH of the population is either on the public payroll or is supported by someone on the public payroll. The city where janitors in the schools make six figure salaries, and incompetent teachers are paid to play video games.

I once worked on a project in NYC. There was an old building that they wanted to tear down. Got an estimate from a demo company for $55,000. Then the CITY got involved. Can't tear it down because it has asbestos. Can't remove the asbestos because the building wasn't structurally safe. Had to PAY TO HAVE THE. BUILDING REINFORCED, so that the asbestos could be abated, so it could be torn down. $3 million later...

When Senator Cruz spoke about "New York Values" he wasn't talking about the first responders on 9/11. He was talking about a city where "everybody" is out to screw everybody else. At least is seems that way to outsiders. We in flyover country.

NYC is the only World class U.S.A City, really, center of the Arts, Broadway, Wall street, mega banks, and so forth.
It's a massive regional center, a lot of the wealthier New Yorker's live in Manhattan, or the suburbs, well until recently overall, now with gentrification now it's spilling over into Brooklyn.

No doubt, NYC has it's problems, none the less it's actually in better shape than a lot of the U.S cities.

As for New England, have you not heard about Bridgeport, New Haven, or Hartford?
The cities on the Connecticut side, are generally worse than ones on the New York side. (Those cities are also generally uglier than comparable New York cities of a similar size.)

If you like it enjoy it while you can. The SALT deduction that is on the chopping block is the only thing that has been keeping NY from collapsing since the institution of the income tax, it was bailed out of insolvency twice in the 20th century. And since Europe attempted continental suicide twice in the same period you are damning NY with extremely faint praise. Afterall most New Yorkers are descended from people who had the good sense to get out of Europe while the getting was good.

New York is gentrifying nicely.
How about some bum f*ck places like Saint Louis, Detroit, New Orleans, in comparison.

That's what I thought, New York is generally better.

Yes, also including it's most comparable cities like Chicago, or Los Angeles are in much worse shape.

Even my little Pawling even seems to have as much parkland, as does whole massive swaths of Florida.

We have Lakeside park.

We have Cats Rocks.

We have Nuclear Lake.

We have the central Appalachian trail.

We have the Pawling Nature Reserve.

NY2-4508551.jpg

The rails to trails movement has been going on for a while. Here in Ohio we have something called the Buckeye Trail, a hiking trail which circles the entire state. It still has a lot of road miles but we've been continually chipping away at that. The former rails have been a big part of it. Another current plan is that by 2020 you'll be able to bike from Cleveland to Columbus to Cincinnati via the Ohio to Erie Trail. Another utilizing metroparks, Cuyahoga Nat Park and Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath that goes to Akron and beyond. Good stuff.

I'm particularly pleased at how most of this has been accomplished. It's been pretty hardcore grassroots with buy ins from all kinds of municipalities, businesses and citizens. The final legs of the Towpath trail go through the traditionally extremely heavily industrialised Cuyahoga Valley which is slowly being clawed back making it accessible and cleaning it up, slowly. It's so rare to see a project like this being supported by pretty much everyone.

Another area of the Cuy Valley in downtown Cleveland is now a haven for rowers and kayakers. It's pretty amazing to see rowers getting out of the way for a 700ft ore boat to clear. Pretty cool stuff. I've been involved with some of these efforts for 25 years. It's incredible to see things coming to fruition when you were there when people were drawing on napkins.

Forum List

Back