New York Times: $15 an Hour is Meant to Drive Fast Food Out of Business

The MW played a role. By increasing the cost of human labor, it hastened the advance of automation.

Bull Shit! Thirty years ago people said when planes could fly themselves we'd not need pilots. Guess what, planes can take-off, turn at intersections, find the airport and land by themselves and we still have Pilots.

The truth is we have hit a road block in terms of automation. Until someone can teach a machine to think, we'll be forever stuck.

Wow..... You are absolutely brain dead bonkers.

Why do you think McDonald's spent MILLIONs building that 100% automated store? Let me guess... because they believed labor would remain cheap? Of course it was because they intended to be read when the minimum wage went up.

Why do you think that out of all the fast-food chains in the country, the CEO of McDs was ok with the minimum wage going up? Because they are ready for it.

While other smaller chains are run out of business, McDonalds has the cash to replace workers with automation. They can afford it.

So while other stores are going out of business, McDonalds will make BILLIONS. YOU are going to make the CEO of McDonalds RICH, while the poor end up unemployed.

You people on the left, are the ones who make the rich richer and poor poorer.

If McDonalds has all of these machines that will replace humans, where are they?

Right now, at this time, the cost of labor is lower than the cost of automation.

All companies would prefer to have people over machines. As long as it is profitable to have people instead of machines, they will keep the people.

As you arbitrarily increase the cost of labor, more and more people will be replaced with machines.

When I worked at McDonalds, back during the time of the Modem (techy chronology), you did everything by hand.

Today, each aspect the store is being automated.

Robots Roll From Plant To Kitchen - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

At first glance, the fry station at the McDonald's restaurant in Mishawaka, Ind., looks the same as any other fry station-same size, same silver color.

Closer scrutiny, however, reveals that it's no run-of-the-mill spud fryer. Most notably, it doesn't have a human attendant. Instead, it weighs, cooks, times, shakes and dumps fries by itself, without help from crew members.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

The fry station, part of a McDonald's program known as ARCH (Automated Restaurant Crew Helper), is one of the country's highest-profile examples of food-service automation. It's also part of a growing trend that's slowly moving the industrial robot into the service sector.​

Automated Fry station. It does everything by itself.

maxresdefault.jpg

Automated beverage station.

66257674robot-burger-breakdown.jpg

Automated burger cooker, and maker. Makes the entire burger by itself. 400 burgers an hour.

In fact, when I worked at McDs, we had a full time cook. He sat at the grill and grilled everything.

Not anymore.

6135080395_d1cce35b8f_b.jpg

The "cook" doesn't actually do anything, except slap the patties on the grill, and hit a button. The grill does everything else.

And of course, we all know about McDonald's replacing people with Kiosks.

mcdonalds.jpg

Look at all those happy cashiers enjoying the new higher minimum wage! All those unemployed cashiers send their thanks to the leftards that killed their jobs.

You say where are the robots? Dude... they are here. It's just matter of when will the cost of labor go up high enough to make the robots economical. Just keep raising the minimum wage, and all those people are unemployed. I would stake my paycheck on that.

Your logical come back is the Miracle on the Hudson. But that is rare feat that not very many pilots would be skilled enough or lucky enough to pull off. I would be pretty confident that a computer might have a hard time of it. That said, I will be there are more pilot caused crashes then there would be computer caused crashes. Absolutely no risk of rushing the cockpit or a pissed off pilot flying the plane into the ground. The only way a pilot can be ready for every contingency is through experience and that doesn't happen oftern. And if it can be simulated then the response is already programmed. Don't get me wrong i don't want computers replacing people it is just the wave of the future.

Computers replacing people IS NOT the wave of the future. IF, and a BIG, IF, somebody can teach a computer to think, it MAY be possible.

Try learning something.

This is red herring anyway.

The primary reason automation is happening in air planes, is because the cost of a crash is so enormous. It's not to replace the pilot. That isn't the goal.

In low-wage unskilled labor, automation is replacing people, because the cost of the labor, is greater than the value of the labor done. Thus companies have to either replace people with kiosks, or go out of business. Obviously, kiosks is the way to go.

No, it's per-mile cost savings.

Kiosks WILL NOT replace people.

This is red herring anyway.

The primary reason automation is happening in air planes, is because the cost of a crash is so enormous. It's not to replace the pilot. That isn't the goal.

In low-wage unskilled labor, automation is replacing people, because the cost of the labor, is greater than the value of the labor done. Thus companies have to either replace people with kiosks, or go out of business. Obviously, kiosks is the way to go.

No, it's per-mile cost savings.

Kiosks WILL NOT replace people.

What the heck are you talking about? Are you on drugs? You live in Colorado or something??

Do you know where I work right now? We make Kiosks. I know for a fact.... A FACT, that our products are replacing people. WE BUILD THEM! We make MILLIONS off of replacing people with Kiosks! That's what we're paid to do! I make a pay check off of replacing people with Kiosks! :D

"Kiosks will not replace people" AS THEY ARE BEING REPLACED WHILE YOU ARE TALKING.....

That's some heavy stuff you smoking boy. You got a supplier, or make it yourself?

I just read a book that says they will be on the highways within a decade. Google already has driverless cars that have logged over 100,000 accident free miles. A driverless truck can be on the road 24 hours a day, and they can drive all night when congestion is nonexistent. There are just too many advantages for trucking firms to ignore it.

In 40 years they will have computers that are 100 times smarter than any human, so why would anyone believe they aren't capable of driving a truck better than a human?

The book you read must be science fiction.

Google reports a 12th self-driving car accident

Read on:

Google

I just read a book that says they will be on the highways within a decade. Google already has driverless cars that have logged over 100,000 accident free miles. A driverless truck can be on the road 24 hours a day, and they can drive all night when congestion is nonexistent. There are just too many advantages for trucking firms to ignore it.

In 40 years they will have computers that are 100 times smarter than any human, so why would anyone believe they aren't capable of driving a truck better than a human?

The book you read must be science fiction.

Google reports a 12th self-driving car accident

Read on:

Google

Which again, shows driverless cars are already on the road.

The point is that if the technology has advanced this far, that they can even have an accident on the road.... it's only a matter of time in my opinion.

Are you seriously suggesting that after the hundreds of millions Google has spent on this project, and after 5 to 10 years more research and development, that the car will be no safer, and less accident prone, than it is right now?

How would you claim that's a rational line of thought?

The other one they haven't covered is pilot error. All the accidents that have occurred in the last decade are due to pilot error

All? Are you sure about that?

I think that's right.... with the exception of hitting birds. I don't think there has been a crash in the past 10 years, due to mechanical failure or auto-pilot failure. Could be wrong. I think I remember reading that.

Um.... there are already driver-less cars on the roadways right now as we speak.

Given that, how do you claim there will not be in the future?

Google's ran into a bus!

Driver-less cars continue to have the same problem they had 20 years ago....The continue to run into stuff.

If I though driver-less cars were going to be perfected, I'd invest.

The MW played a role. By increasing the cost of human labor, it hastened the advance of automation.

Bull Shit! Thirty years ago people said when planes could fly themselves we'd not need pilots. Guess what, planes can take-off, turn at intersections, find the airport and land by themselves and we still have Pilots.

The truth is we have hit a road block in terms of automation. Until someone can teach a machine to think, we'll be forever stuck.

Why do you think McDonald's spent MILLIONs building that 100% automated store? Let me guess... because they believed labor would remain cheap? Of course it was because they intended to be read when the minimum wage went up.

Why do you think that out of all the fast-food chains in the country, the CEO of McDs was ok with the minimum wage going up? Because they are ready for it.

While other smaller chains are run out of business, McDonalds has the cash to replace workers with automation. They can afford it.

So while other stores are going out of business, McDonalds will make BILLIONS. YOU are going to make the CEO of McDonalds RICH, while the poor end up unemployed.

If McDonalds has all of these machines that will replace humans, where are they?

Right now, at this time, the cost of labor is lower than the cost of automation.

All companies would prefer to have people over machines. As long as it is profitable to have people instead of machines, they will keep the people.

As you arbitrarily increase the cost of labor, more and more people will be replaced with machines.

When I worked at McDonalds, back during the time of the Modem (techy chronology), you did everything by hand.

At first glance, the fry station at the McDonald's restaurant in Mishawaka, Ind., looks the same as any other fry station-same size, same silver color.

Closer scrutiny, however, reveals that it's no run-of-the-mill spud fryer. Most notably, it doesn't have a human attendant. Instead, it weighs, cooks, times, shakes and dumps fries by itself, without help from crew members.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

The fry station, part of a McDonald's program known as ARCH (Automated Restaurant Crew Helper), is one of the country's highest-profile examples of food-service automation. It's also part of a growing trend that's slowly moving the industrial robot into the service sector.​

maxresdefault.jpg

Automated burger cooker, and maker. Makes the entire burger by itself. 400 burgers an hour.

In fact, when I worked at McDs, we had a full time cook. He sat at the grill and grilled everything.

Not anymore.

The "cook" doesn't actually do anything, except slap the patties on the grill, and hit a button. The grill does everything else.

mcdonalds.jpg

Look at all those happy cashiers enjoying the new higher minimum wage! All those unemployed cashiers send their thanks to the leftards that killed their jobs.

You say where are the robots? Dude... they are here. It's just matter of when will the cost of labor go up high enough to make the robots economical. Just keep raising the minimum wage, and all those people are unemployed. I would stake my paycheck on that.

What you have show:

1) Portion control

2) Technology that has yet to be invented

3) Double sided cookers which were invented in the 40's.

4) Kiosks that people won't use. Notice the pads to the left of the kid playing?

If I thought that any of this had promise, I'd be investing.

Um.... there are already driver-less cars on the roadways right now as we speak.

Given that, how do you claim there will not be in the future?

Google's ran into a bus!

Driver-less cars continue to have the same problem they had 20 years ago....The continue to run into stuff.

If I though driver-less cars were going to be perfected, I'd invest.

I know someone that ran into a buss. The implication of your statement, is that there has been no improvement. I would deny that completely.

Driverless cars used to have a top speed of 10 miles per hour, and ran only on University test tracks, and they ran into stuff.

Now, they are doing 65 miles per hour on the highway, and driving in crowded downtown streets, and on occasion they run into stuff.

That is a massive massive leap forward.

And then you look at the actual crashes..... 12 crashes.

8 of the 12 crashes, the driver-less car was rear-ended at a stop-light or stop-sign.

Let me guess, you think a human driver would somehow magically make the driver behind him, use his breaks. But because it was a robot driving, the guy behind was like "heck no! Floor it!".

Of course not.

So that leaves 4 crashes.

Two of them were cars that side swiped the cars. One a driver rolled through a stop-sign and hit the driver-less car. And one, the car was being manually driven by the tester at the time.

BTW.... idiot.... the Google car that hit the bus, was in Indonesia. I knew something was wrong when it said it almost killed a donkey. Seriously.... it wasn't a driver-less car. It a Google street-view car, where they take pictures of the road. Had nothing to do with the driver-less car. You just spew stuff out here, and have no idea if anything you say is even true, don't you?

What the heck are you talking about? Are you on drugs? You live in Colorado or something??

Do you know where I work right now? We make Kiosks. I know for a fact.... A FACT, that our products are replacing people. WE BUILD THEM! We make MILLIONS off of replacing people with Kiosks! That's what we're paid to do! I make a pay check off of replacing people with Kiosks! :D

"Kiosks will not replace people" AS THEY ARE BEING REPLACED WHILE YOU ARE TALKING.....

That's some heavy stuff you smoking boy. You got a supplier, or make it yourself?

You build vending machines which have been around; How long?

Which again, shows driverless cars are already on the road.

The point is that if the technology has advanced this far, that they can even have an accident on the road.... it's only a matter of time in my opinion.

Are you seriously suggesting that after the hundreds of millions Google has spent on this project, and after 5 to 10 years more research and development, that the car will be no safer, and less accident prone, than it is right now?

How would you claim that's a rational line of thought?

AND THEY CONTINUE TO RUN INTO SHIT! FYI; same problem as 20 years ago. No advancement in 20 years!

I know someone that ran into a buss. The implication of your statement, is that there has been no improvement. I would deny that completely.

Driverless cars used to have a top speed of 10 miles per hour, and ran only on University test tracks, and they ran into stuff.

Now, they are doing 65 miles per hour on the highway, and driving in crowded downtown streets, and on occasion they run into stuff.

8 of the 12 crashes, the driver-less car was rear-ended at a stop-light or stop-sign.

Let me guess, you think a human driver would somehow magically make the driver behind him, use his breaks. But because it was a robot driving, the guy behind was like "heck no! Floor it!".

Of course not.

Two of them were cars that side swiped the cars. One a driver rolled through a stop-sign and hit the driver-less car. And one, the car was being manually driven by the tester at the time.

BTW.... idiot.... the Google car that hit the bus, was in Indonesia. I knew something was wrong when it said it almost killed a donkey. Seriously.... it wasn't a driver-less car. It a Google street-view car, where they take pictures of the road. Had nothing to do with the driver-less car. You just spew stuff out here, and have no idea if anything you say is even true, don't you?

You know someone that hit a bus? Perhaps you should hang with smarter people.

Bottom line: The OP is a failed business owner that makes bad food that nobody buys, and wants to blame her faults on a higher minimum wage.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

Not anymore.

mcdonalds.jpg

What you have show:

1) Portion control

2) Technology that has yet to be invented

3) Double sided cookers which were invented in the 40's.

4) Kiosks that people won't use. Notice the pads to the left of the kid playing?

If I thought that any of this had promise, I'd be investing.

Really.... LOL. So no one is using them? Really? Some of the biggest corporations in America, are paying my company millions, and none of our Kiosks are being used?

You prove that. Good luck.

Some technology is yet to be invented, that's true.

Regardless, my point is the technology has been advancing since I've been in the fast food industry, till today.

The number of employees per store, has gone down since the minimum wage went up.

Employees per establishment in the U.S. fast food industry 2018 Statistic

Prior to 2007, the average number of employees per store, was going UP. The reason is simple. As inflation makes the cost of labor cheaper, it's becomes more practical and profitable to employ more people.

Then in 2007, the average number of employees per store declined. In 2007 the average was 17.15, and today it's 15.5. That's a massive drop.

How are they able to keep their stores open? Rolling out this automation technology. Automatic beverage. Auto grill. Auto Fries. Kiosk instead of Cashier.

Again, the process is slow, because it is a significant investment. But over time, as the cost of labor goes up, the more practical those automated systems become.

Your logical come back is the Miracle on the Hudson. But that is rare feat that not very many pilots would be skilled enough or lucky enough to pull off. I would be pretty confident that a computer might have a hard time of it. That said, I will be there are more pilot caused crashes then there would be computer caused crashes. Absolutely no risk of rushing the cockpit or a pissed off pilot flying the plane into the ground. The only way a pilot can be ready for every contingency is through experience and that doesn't happen oftern. And if it can be simulated then the response is already programmed. Don't get me wrong i don't want computers replacing people it is just the wave of the future.

Computers replacing people IS NOT the wave of the future. IF, and a BIG, IF, somebody can teach a computer to think, it MAY be possible.

Try learning something.

Funny thing is that this does not replace a person with a machine or a computer but it replaces a paid person with an unpaid person. Every time you use a self check out lane or pump your own gas you are doing what someone used to get paid to do and you are doing it for NOTHING. The prices are not lower because we are doing someone's job it is just a cost savings to the company to have people work for nothing.

Of course not.

You know someone that hit a bus? Perhaps you should hang with smarter people.

Ironically, yeah, I know. They were complete and total liberals too, which was far worse than hitting a buss. And I don't hang with them anymore. If they are stupid enough to be a leftist, then hitting a bus doesn't surprise me. I found much smarter people to be with, and they are all conservative, and don't hit buses.

Considering what we know about the left, this theory sounds more plausible than the left's claim that it wants minimum wage workers to earn a "living wage."

As noted by the New York Post , the New York Times has let it slip that the real goal of the $15 dollar an hour wage is to drive cheap fast food restaurants out of business. And as they said:

“The restaurant industry . . . will not go down without a fight.”

But, I thought that all the businesses affected by the minimum wage were just greedy and could easily afford the wages they should have been paying all along? I guess that wasn’t true. That certainly wasn’t the case for Z Pizza in Seattle. Z Pizza employed 11 employees, who were convinced their lives would be better since they would now be making the astronomical sum of $15 an hour. The owner, Ritu Shah Burnham, tried everything. She laid off workers, cut hours and even quit paying herself a salary, but in the end, she was forced to close her doors. You see, while most businesses her size had six years before paying the $15, she had only two because she owns a franchise. She got nailed on Obamacare for the same reason.

Liberals in their infinite wisdom (cough cough) they decided that a small franchisee should be lumped together with all the the franchisees and company owned restaurants. To me, this is further proof that the goal is to destroy them. I mean, what difference is there between a franchise restaurant owner with 11 employees and any other pizza joint with 11 employees? This is Michelle Obama’s lunches for adults. The same liberals who demand the right to choose to kill innocent babies, is unwilling to give you the right to decide what to eat.

red state quoting the new york post pretending to say what the times said.

lmao

Try learning something.

Funny thing is that this does not replace a person with a machine or a computer but it replaces a paid person with an unpaid person. Every time you use a self check out lane or pump your own gas you are doing what someone used to get paid to do and you are doing it for NOTHING. The prices are not lower because we are doing someone's job it is just a cost savings to the company to have people work for nothing.

Yes, but that's our fault as well. If you choose to buy the cheaper service, then you choose to work for free.

I actually worked at a gas station that had a full-service pump. And of course it was 10¢ more expensive than the self-serve pump.

I think I pumped gas for... oh... 2 people the entire time I was there?

The problem with the whole minimum wage argument, is that it's built on a myth. The myth, is that someone else pays that wage.

The company is going to pay it. Yeah.... they will.... by charge you the customer more. A company doesn't have a single penny, that doesn't come from the price of the goods or services they sell. So if you want that employee paid more, then you have to pay a higher price for the goods or services.

There is no alternative to this outcome.

Forum List

Back