Newly Elected Muslim Congresswomen Favor Eliminating Israel

The Zio-Lobby's War on "Anti-Semitism" & Ilhan Omar

I think both these women are being targeted in part because they are Muslim.

You honestly see nothing wrong with her saying “ It’s

Really? It has nothing to do with her remarks “ It’s about the Benjamin’s baby” or saying that anyone who supports Israel has an allegiance to a foreign Country? I’m not surprised at your stance.
While I do wish she should have been condemned the broad Resolution did do one thing; She knows she better keep her mouth shut

I did not say there is nothing wrong with it. I initially defended her when she first made her statements, because she subsequently apologized, but she keeps making the same sort of statements so it's not a one-off.

But I am very glad the resolution was broader than anti-semitism. We need to condemn all forms of hate...right? I don't think that demonizing is acceptable in American politics whether its racial, ethnic, religious, immigrants - it leads to bad things. If you are going to argue Israel's policies then argue those policies specifically.

There is no US demand for "allegience" to Israel from mainstream politics. But she does have a point. There are sectors, in American politics that do seem to almost demand it. It's not driven by American Jews, but rather in the more conservative Christian parts of the country. And it should be able to be discussed without either reverting to anti-semitic tropes or muslim bashing.

What are you thoughts on situations like these:

Lawsuits filed in Texas challenging law requiring state contractors to pledge not to boycott Israel

(this claim was fact checked FACT CHECK: Does a Texas Law Require Government Contractors to Swear They Won't Boycott Israel?)

Texas lawmaker demands Muslims to swear allegiance next to an Israeli flag | The Express Tribune

I know you don't agree with BDS, but imo - we have a right to boycott whom we choose. As Americans, it's a right of free speech, and boycott movements are generally non-violent. When a government entity makes it a requirement to sign an oath you will not engage in boycotts of one and only one specific country - that is disturbing.

We have been through those alleged allegiances in Texas. There is no truth to them.

Who is “we” and yes they are factually based.

We = You, I, Hollie, others

The Texas issue with the Muslims was in 2015

Ugly anti-Muslim taunts by Texas lawmaker, protesters are embarrassments to Texans | Opinion | Dallas News

Ugly anti-Muslim taunts by Texas lawmaker, protesters are embarrassments to Texans | Opinion | Dallas News

BDS against only one country in the world is not "whom we choose". It is whom the anti Israel groups choose.

----------
And to clarify:

Everyone is Misreporting the Texas BDS Lawsuit

Here is the specific language Ms. Amawi was asked to sign (see appendix A):

Pursuant to Section 2270.001 of Texas Government Code, the Contractor affirms that it: 1. Does not currently boycott Israel; and 2. Will not boycott Israel during the term of the contract Pursuant to Section 2270.001 of Texas Government Code:

1. "Boycott Israel" means refusing to deal with, terminating business activities with, or otherwise taking any action that is intended to penalize, inflict economic harm on, or limit commercial relations specifically with Israel, or with a person or entity doing business in Israel or in an Israeli-controlled territory, but does not include an action made for ordinary business purposes;and
  2. "Company" means a for-profit sole proprietorship, organization, association, corporation, partnership, joint venture, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or any limited liability company, including a wholly owned subsidiary, majority-owned subsidiary, parent company or affiliate of those entities or business associations that exist to make a profit.
Note that, consistent with the language and obvious intent of the law (see the text here, it's even titled "PROHIBITION ON CONTRACTS WITH COMPANIES BOYCOTTING ISRAEL"), the school district certification applies to the business, "it," not the individual "she." Contrary to what I've been reading all over the internet, Ms. Amawi is not being asked to pledge that she, in her personal capacity, will not privately boycott Israel, much less that, e.g.,she will not advocate for boycotting Israel or otherwise refrain from criticizing Israel .

I pointed out already that the claim was verified as true as I linked. We will see how those contracts fare in the courts.

Why is ONLY Israel given special antiboycott protection?

Really? It has nothing to do with her remarks “ It’s about the Benjamin’s baby” or saying that anyone who supports Israel has an allegiance to a foreign Country? I’m not surprised at your stance.
While I do wish she should have been condemned the broad Resolution did do one thing; She knows she better keep her mouth shut

I did not say there is nothing wrong with it. I initially defended her when she first made her statements, because she subsequently apologized, but she keeps making the same sort of statements so it's not a one-off.

But I am very glad the resolution was broader than anti-semitism. We need to condemn all forms of hate...right? I don't think that demonizing is acceptable in American politics whether its racial, ethnic, religious, immigrants - it leads to bad things. If you are going to argue Israel's policies then argue those policies specifically.

There is no US demand for "allegience" to Israel from mainstream politics. But she does have a point. There are sectors, in American politics that do seem to almost demand it. It's not driven by American Jews, but rather in the more conservative Christian parts of the country. And it should be able to be discussed without either reverting to anti-semitic tropes or muslim bashing.

Lawsuits filed in Texas challenging law requiring state contractors to pledge not to boycott Israel

(this claim was fact checked FACT CHECK: Does a Texas Law Require Government Contractors to Swear They Won't Boycott Israel?)

Texas lawmaker demands Muslims to swear allegiance next to an Israeli flag | The Express Tribune

I know you don't agree with BDS, but imo - we have a right to boycott whom we choose. As Americans, it's a right of free speech, and boycott movements are generally non-violent. When a government entity makes it a requirement to sign an oath you will not engage in boycotts of one and only one specific country - that is disturbing.
We have been through those alleged allegiances in Texas. There is no truth to them.

BDS against only one country in the world is not "whom we choose". It is whom the anti Israel groups choose.

----------
And to clarify:

Pursuant to Section 2270.001 of Texas Government Code, the Contractor affirms that it: 1. Does not currently boycott Israel; and 2. Will not boycott Israel during the term of the contract Pursuant to Section 2270.001 of Texas Government Code:

1. "Boycott Israel" means refusing to deal with, terminating business activities with, or otherwise taking any action that is intended to penalize, inflict economic harm on, or limit commercial relations specifically with Israel, or with a person or entity doing business in Israel or in an Israeli-controlled territory, but does not include an action made for ordinary business purposes;and
  2. "Company" means a for-profit sole proprietorship, organization, association, corporation, partnership, joint venture, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or any limited liability company, including a wholly owned subsidiary, majority-owned subsidiary, parent company or affiliate of those entities or business associations that exist to make a profit.
Note that, consistent with the language and obvious intent of the law (see the text here, it's even titled "PROHIBITION ON CONTRACTS WITH COMPANIES BOYCOTTING ISRAEL"), the school district certification applies to the business, "it," not the individual "she." Contrary to what I've been reading all over the internet, Ms. Amawi is not being asked to pledge that she, in her personal capacity, will not privately boycott Israel, much less that, e.g.,she will not advocate for boycotting Israel or otherwise refrain from criticizing Israel .
I pointed out already that the Calais was verified as true as I linked. We will see how those contracts fare in the courts.

Why is ONLY Israel given special anti boycott protection?

“she will not advocate for boycotting Israel or otherwise refrain from criticizing Israel” that is even worse from a free speech standpoint.
[Why is ONLY Israel given special antiboycott protection?]

WHY is Israel the only country they will boycott?

Why are so many Christians and Muslims so intent in boycotting ONLY Israel ?

I continue to not get an answer to these questions from anyone who thinks that the BDS movement is a fair and balanced, or whatever else they think of it......movement.

And no one, not even Israel, has ever said that no one is allowed to criticize Israel.
But that is not what they do, especially those who do not know the facts and repeat what they read without verifying it, or caring about the truth of it.

How many time any one of us has to repeat this?

Fair criticism of Israel is one thing. The hatchet job anti Israel people do on a daily basis with the intent of destroying it, is something else.

And some people cannot figure out why the hatchet job exists against Israel .

It's nice to see Ilhan Omar is making new friends while devoting ample time to ignoring her day job.

12 pro-Israel groups call on Pelosi, Engel to remove Omar from House Committee

They also sounded the alarm ahead of Rep. Ilhan Omar’s scheduled appearance at Islamic Relief USA, “whose parent organization and chapters have documented ties to terrorist organizations.”

It really is a shame that identity politics has lead us to dregs like Rashida Tlaib.

Rep. Tlaib Defends Rep. Omar Amid Anti-Semitism Controversy: She's 'Targeted' Like 'Civil Rights Icons'

It really is a shame that identity politics has lead us to dregs like Rashida Tlaib.

Rep. Tlaib Defends Rep. Omar Amid Anti-Semitism Controversy: She's 'Targeted' Like 'Civil Rights Icons'

She “ apologized “ because she was Forced to. Common sense would dictate that. Free speech? Then a Jewish Congressman or woman would have the Right to call Muslims Terrorists, Killer of Christians, etc. etc.
It’s obvious by the way she dressed she’s proud of her heritage. I can say she doesn’t have an allegiance to this Country

This country? What country are you talking about? Israel? The US? She has allegiance to the US.

Here are some of your Islamophobia buddies attacking her.

Sign Falsely Linking Muslim Congresswoman To Sept. 11 Sparks Outrage In West Virginia

W.Va. House official who resigned denies making anti-Muslim slur - WV MetroNews

Someone like Omar should have lunch with some of the Jewish elected officials. Maybe they would realize they have more in common then not.

I was referring to her commenting that anyone who is Pro Israel does not have allegiance to the U.S. Then I can say the same think about her " pride" in being a Muslim

She “ apologized “ because she was Forced to. Common sense would dictate that. Free speech? Then a Jewish Congressman or woman would have the Right to call Muslims Terrorists, Killer of Christians, etc. etc.
It’s obvious by the way she dressed she’s proud of her heritage. I can say she doesn’t have an allegiance to this Country

This country? What country are you talking about? Israel? The US? She has allegiance to the US.

Here are some of your Islamophobia buddies attacking her.

Sign Falsely Linking Muslim Congresswoman To Sept. 11 Sparks Outrage In West Virginia

W.Va. House official who resigned denies making anti-Muslim slur - WV MetroNews

Someone like Omar should have lunch with some of the Jewish elected officials. Maybe they would realize they have more in common then not.

I was referring to her commenting that anyone who is Pro Israel does not have allegiance to the U.S. Then I can say the same think about her " pride" in being a Muslim

At one time my country questioned whether Catholics have a dual allegience to the Pope. We question whether Muslims can be real Americans. And we question whether Jews have dual allegience. We never seem to learn that we are all Americans first.

----------
And to clarify:

I pointed out already that the Calais was verified as true as I linked. We will see how those contracts fare in the courts.

“she will not advocate for boycotting Israel or otherwise refrain from criticizing Israel” that is even worse from a free speech standpoint.

I continue to not get an answer to these questions from anyone who thinks that the BDS movement is a fair and balanced, or whatever else they think of it......movement.

And no one, not even Israel, has ever said that no one is allowed to criticize Israel.
But that is not what they do, especially those who do not know the facts and repeat what they read without verifying it, or caring about the truth of it.

Fair criticism of Israel is one thing. The hatchet job anti Israel people do on a daily basis with the intent of destroying it, is something else.

Israel as a wholeisnt boycotted. Only the settlements. Yes?

Is it the only national subgroup subject to boycott?

So. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here and say it's because ONLY Israel has been widely, globally boycotted for "human rights violations" in the face of DOZENS of other countries with far worse violations, far more consistent violations, far more normative and legislated violations.

It's the very same ugly phenomenon which plagues the UN. The common denominator is not "human rights violations". It's Israel. It's Jews.

----------
And to clarify:

The Constitutional Right to Boycott - The Atlantic

----------
And to clarify:

Nope. The whole country is often boycotted. Worse -- when it comes to things like academics and the arts -- only Jewish citizens of Israel are boycotted. Arab citizens of Israel are not.

So. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here and say it's because ONLY Israel has been widely, globally boycotted for "human rights violations" in the face of DOZENS of other countries with far worse violations, far more consistent violations, far more normative and legislated violations.

It's the very same ugly phenomenon which plagues the UN. The common denominator is not "human rights violations". It's Israel. It's Jews.
Is the boycott Israel or is it goods produced in the settlements in the occupied territories?

Is the boycott against all Jews?

Is the boycott Israel or is it goods produced in the settlements in the occupied territories?

I'll discuss this with you but you missed my point. And it's important.

The common denominator is not "human rights violations". It's Israel. Jews.

----------
And to clarify:

Nope. The whole country is often boycotted. Worse -- when it comes to things like academics and the arts -- only Jewish citizens of Israel are boycotted. Arab citizens of Israel are not.
How do you know Arab citizens aren’t?

Where is the BDS for Tibetans? For Cypriots? For Western Saharans? For Kurds? For women in Saudi Arabia? For Yemeni? For the Rohingya?

Why is it that the ONLY widespread global boycott is against Israel?

So a boycott against products produced in the settlements is a boycott against all Jews? I do not agree.

----------
And to clarify:

How do you know Arab citizens aren’t?

I've seen examples. One recently was a musical group of Arab Israelis. Not boycotted. Because not Jews.

So a boycott against products produced in the settlements is a boycott against all Jews? I do not agree.

Again missing the point.

The CAUSE of the boycott, allegedly is "human rights violations". But there are nations which have far worse, more frequent, more entrenched, more normalized and more legalized human rights violations than Israel. And yet. No Boycott.

Why is that, do you think!

See, you are arguing from the position of "boycotting a specific country if they do bad things is totally legit". And I'm arguing from the point of, "yeah, except when in practice ONLY Israel is actually boycotted".

NOW it's a case of special treatment. If we are going to boycott countries based on "human rights violations" I can think of DOZENS which should be loudly, globally boycotted.

But they aren't. Again, why is that?

Where is the BDS for Tibetans? For Cypriots? For Western Saharans? For Kurds? For women in Saudi Arabia? For Yemeni? For the Rohingya?

Why is it that the ONLY widespread global boycott is against Israel?
Why do pro-Israel activists focus only on Anti-Jewish atrocities and ignore what is happening to Tibetans, Rohinga etc.? The question cuts both ways and I think there is a certain fallacy in demanding that an activist MUST equally focus on all injustices. There ARE groups who focus on specific issues.

For example...boycotts in support of Tibet

Tibetan activists launch boycott of InterContinental over hotel plans

Indo-Tibetan meet proposes boycott of Chinese goods - Times of India

See, you are arguing from the position of "boycotting a specific country if they do bad things is totally legit". And I'm arguing from the point of, "yeah, except when in practice ONLY Israel is actually boycotted".

NOW it's a case of special treatment. If we are going to boycott countries based on "human rights violations" I can think of DOZENS which should be loudly, globally boycotted.

But they aren't. Again, why is that?
Boycotts are a legitimate expression of free speech.

Israel is not the only country with boycotts. But it is the only country getting special protection from boycotts.

I agree, there are lots of countries with significant human rights violations that get a free pass. But there are also a number (not including Israel) who are subject to governmental sanctions for that, as opposed to civil society boycotts.

Such endless Hypocrisy and use of Americans who really fought against intolerance.

The Muslim community, she says.

Is Islam one whole community? When did that happen?

Is Christianity one whole community? I would not say so.

Edit, or choose the parts one wishes others to listen to, it will not change what Miss Tlaib has already shown that she is about.

Unfortunately...Islam became one community after 9/11 when every Muslim is blamed for it. Every Muslim is labeled a potential terrorist, pedophile or rapist. Culture, ethnicity and nationality doesn’t matter (sarcasm alert).

Interestingly enough, while the right holds every Muslim accountable for the 9/11 attack which was carried out by Muslims; they don't hold rightwingers accountable for attacks carried out by rightwingnuts.

Forum List

Back