No More Free Rides...Make America Work Again!

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Welfare Statistics

Statistic Verification

Source: US Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Commerce, CATO Institute

Research Date: 9.10.2013

Welfare is the organized public or private social services for the assistance of disadvantaged groups. Aid could include general Welfare payments, health care through Medicaid, food stamps, special payments for pregnant women and young mothers, and federal and state housing benefits. The Welfare system in the United States began in the 1930s, during the Great Depression. Opponents of Welfare argue that it affects work incentives.

Welfare Statistics

Total number of Americans on welfare 12,800,000

Total number of Americans on food stamps 46,700,000

Total number of Americans on unemployment insurance 5,600,000

Total government spending on welfare annually (not including food stamps or unemployment) $131.9 billion

Welfare Demographics

Percent of recipients who are white 38.8 %

Percent of recipients who are black 39.8 %

Percent of recipients who are Hispanic 15.7 %

Percent of recipients who are Asian 2.4 %

Percent of recipients who are Other 3.3 %

Welfare Statistics

Total amount of money you can make monthly and still receive Welfare $1000

Total Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than an $8 per hour job 39

Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than a $12 per hour job 6

Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than the average salary of a U.S. Teacher 8

Average Time on AFCD (Aid to Families with Dependent Children)

Time on AFDC Percent of Recipients

Less than 7 months 19%

7 to 12 months 15.2%

1 to 2 years 19.3%

2 to 5 years 26.9%

Over 5 years 19.6%

Top 10 Hourly Wage Equivalent Welfare States in U.S.
State Hourly Wage Equivalent

Hawaii $17.50
Alaska $15.48
Massachusetts $14.66
Connecticut $14.23
Washington, D.C. $13.99
New York $13.13
New Jersey $12.55
Rhode Island $12.55
California $11.59
Virginia $11.11

Those states listed the recipients have no incentives to work. They make more an hour to stay home and collect all kinds of benefits, never pay taxes...do you see what is wrong with our system?

Even if the recipients are not in the top paying states, there are still no incentives to work unless we a) start cutting the amount of welfare, b) increase the minimum wage and c) start making EVERYONE pay taxes on what they receive in wages or BENEFITS.

That would apply to the young and abled workers only. The clearly disabled and elderly would not apply.

We have to make America work again.

Welfare Statistics

Statistic Verification

Source: US Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Commerce, CATO Institute

Welfare is the organized public or private social services for the assistance of disadvantaged groups. Aid could include general Welfare payments, health care through Medicaid, food stamps, special payments for pregnant women and young mothers, and federal and state housing benefits. The Welfare system in the United States began in the 1930s, during the Great Depression. Opponents of Welfare argue that it affects work incentives.

Welfare Statistics

Total government spending on welfare annually (not including food stamps or unemployment) $131.9 billion

Welfare Demographics

Welfare Statistics

Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than the average salary of a U.S. Teacher 8

Less than 7 months 19%

7 to 12 months 15.2%

1 to 2 years 19.3%

2 to 5 years 26.9%

Over 5 years 19.6%

Hawaii $17.50
Alaska $15.48
Massachusetts $14.66
Connecticut $14.23
Washington, D.C. $13.99
New York $13.13
New Jersey $12.55
Rhode Island $12.55
California $11.59
Virginia $11.11

Those states listed the recipients have no incentives to work. They make more an hour to stay home and collect all kinds of benefits, never pay taxes...do you see what is wrong with our system?

Even if the recipients are not in the top paying states, there are still no incentives to work unless we a) start cutting the amount of welfare, b) increase the minimum wage and c) start making EVERYONE pay taxes on what they receive in wages or BENEFITS.

That would apply to the young and abled workers only. The clearly disabled and elderly would not apply.

I agree with your ambitions, Jackson and thank you for the good article. It all makes sense to me with the exception of increasing the minimum wage. That would cost even more jobs and especially to those with no- to low job skills, and for American youths. More businesses would close doors. Most people who have never been self-employed, don't realize that small businesses, the backbone of our country, have very small profit margins to begin with.

I would like to see a Tea Party president but think it is too late, and only a moderate stands a chance of winning.

I would hope my impressions are wrong.

The "good ole` days" are behind us now. We can sink quickly, with O at the helm of the virtual Titanic, or we can sink slowly with a moderate. I often wonder if the good Ronald Reagan, who created 20 million jobs, would have stood a chance of becoming president in the age of the Internet.

Many states are using $8.00 as their minimum wage. If we could increase it to $10, and at the same time, decrease welfare and food stamps by 20% each year for 5 years, taxing benefits at 10%, welfare recipients would finally see that getting a job would be more lucrative than staying on welfare and food stamps.

We have to stop enabling people. Free daycare if you have a wage stub.

Welfare Statistics

Statistic Verification

Welfare Statistics

Welfare Demographics

Welfare Statistics

Less than 7 months 19%

7 to 12 months 15.2%

1 to 2 years 19.3%

2 to 5 years 26.9%

Over 5 years 19.6%

Hawaii $17.50
Alaska $15.48
Massachusetts $14.66
Connecticut $14.23
Washington, D.C. $13.99
New York $13.13
New Jersey $12.55
Rhode Island $12.55
California $11.59
Virginia $11.11

I agree with your ambitions, Jackson and thank you for the good article. It all makes sense to me with the exception of increasing the minimum wage. That would cost even more jobs and especially to those with no- to low job skills, and for American youths. More businesses would close doors. Most people who have never been self-employed, don't realize that small businesses, the backbone of our country, have very small profit margins to begin with.

I would like to see a Tea Party president but think it is too late, and only a moderate stands a chance of winning.

The "good ole` days" are behind us now. We can sink quickly, with O at the helm of the virtual Titanic, or we can sink slowly with a moderate. I often wonder if the good Ronald Reagan, who created 20 million jobs, would have stood a chance of becoming president in the age of the Internet.

He absolutely would have won in a landslide today as he did back then. You have to remember, the overwhelming majority of American voters are complete and utter moron's (a fact that Dumbocrats count on and why they try to keep the masses ignorant with lies and propaganda) and don't have the slightest clue about policy.

Obama won his first term because he sounded good reading from a teleprompted - and every idiot across the nation living in the ghetto went "wow - he sounds good, I'll vote for him". Well, that's was one of Reagan's greatest strengths. But unlike Obama, Reagan didn't need a teleprompter to sound intelligent and engaging. Reagan didn't stutter like a yammering idiot the moment he went off teleprompter.

Many states are using $8.00 as their minimum wage. If we could increase it to $10, and at the same time, decrease welfare and food stamps by 20% each year for 5 years, taxing benefits at 10%, welfare recipients would finally see that getting a job would be more lucrative than staying on welfare and food stamps.

We have to stop enabling people. Free daycare if you have a wage stub.

No way. Enough of the freebies (as you said to begin with). No free daycare. Fuck these irresponsible people. If you have a child, you take care of that child on your own (as in independent of government - not of your friends and family).

No more food stamps. No more government housing. You work, you take care of your child, and if you fail to do so, you go to prison and we'll send your child(ren) to a family that will voluntarily take care of them - permanently.

It's time Dumbocrats are forced to act like adults. It's time they put their big boy pants on and figure it out just like the rest of us have.

Can any of you loons give an example of a country that doesn't have a robust government backed safety net in place and has a low poverty rate?

I mean, you're so sure that if we just remove the safety net for the poor that they will suddenly "become motivated" and climb out of poverty. So how about some examples of this in action.

Welfare Statistics

Statistic Verification

Welfare Statistics

Welfare Demographics

Welfare Statistics

Less than 7 months 19%

7 to 12 months 15.2%

1 to 2 years 19.3%

2 to 5 years 26.9%

Over 5 years 19.6%

Hawaii $17.50
Alaska $15.48
Massachusetts $14.66
Connecticut $14.23
Washington, D.C. $13.99
New York $13.13
New Jersey $12.55
Rhode Island $12.55
California $11.59
Virginia $11.11

You forgot to add in free public housing.....

i agree, there is NO incentive to work when you are handed more things when you don't work.

public assistance should be less then half of what you would make as a part time minimum wage employee.

food stamps should be for very specific things.. ie food not junk food.

All people receiving public assistance who do not have jobs....should be made to show up 20 hours a week for community service work. Here is the boom...there is the street... you want your check, clean the street.

Can any of you loons give an example of a country that doesn't have a robust government backed safety net in place and has a low poverty rate?

I mean, you're so sure that if we just remove the safety net for the poor that they will suddenly "become motivated" and climb out of poverty. So how about some examples of this in action.

How has the 16 trillion dollars that's been spent on the war on poverty helped?

We have more people in poverty now than when the war on poverty started.

$16 Trillion Later, Poverty Rate Returns to Pre-War-on-Poverty Levels

The way to make America work again will start when those of us who can work, no matter what age, choose to work instead of just sitting around.

We need to minister to one anothers needs and help each other work instead of letting the government take over our responsibilities to our fellow man.

How has the 16 trillion dollars that's been spent on the war on poverty helped?

We have more people in poverty now than when the war on poverty started.

$16 Trillion Later, Poverty Rate Returns to Pre-War-on-Poverty Levels

And your example is?

Welfare Statistics

Statistic Verification

Welfare Statistics

Welfare Demographics

Welfare Statistics

Less than 7 months 19%

7 to 12 months 15.2%

1 to 2 years 19.3%

2 to 5 years 26.9%

Over 5 years 19.6%

Hawaii $17.50
Alaska $15.48
Massachusetts $14.66
Connecticut $14.23
Washington, D.C. $13.99
New York $13.13
New Jersey $12.55
Rhode Island $12.55
California $11.59
Virginia $11.11

When I used to run a crew my small business made over 40% profit, now that I do it all by myself I make 100% of the profit..

The way to make America work again will start when those of us who can work, no matter what age, choose to work instead of just sitting around.

We need to minister to one anothers needs and help each other work instead of letting the government take over our responsibilities to our fellow man.

Even when not on the clock I still work.

Welfare Statistics

Statistic Verification

Welfare Statistics

Welfare Demographics

Welfare Statistics

Less than 7 months 19%

7 to 12 months 15.2%

1 to 2 years 19.3%

2 to 5 years 26.9%

Over 5 years 19.6%

Hawaii $17.50
Alaska $15.48
Massachusetts $14.66
Connecticut $14.23
Washington, D.C. $13.99
New York $13.13
New Jersey $12.55
Rhode Island $12.55
California $11.59
Virginia $11.11

You left out a variable. The people that do work and receive welfare.

Welfare Statistics

Statistic Verification

Welfare Statistics

Welfare Demographics

Welfare Statistics

Less than 7 months 19%

7 to 12 months 15.2%

1 to 2 years 19.3%

2 to 5 years 26.9%

Over 5 years 19.6%

Hawaii $17.50
Alaska $15.48
Massachusetts $14.66
Connecticut $14.23
Washington, D.C. $13.99
New York $13.13
New Jersey $12.55
Rhode Island $12.55
California $11.59
Virginia $11.11

No she did not, its up there under statistics. They can make 1k a month and get all the benefits too....

There is no poverty in America.

Says someone who has never been poor. Good for you.

And you pretend to be educated. Hilarious.

one thing for sure is they will stop sneaking across the border.

Welfare Statistics

Statistic Verification

Welfare Statistics

Welfare Demographics

Welfare Statistics

Less than 7 months 19%

7 to 12 months 15.2%

1 to 2 years 19.3%

2 to 5 years 26.9%

Over 5 years 19.6%

Hawaii $17.50
Alaska $15.48
Massachusetts $14.66
Connecticut $14.23
Washington, D.C. $13.99
New York $13.13
New Jersey $12.55
Rhode Island $12.55
California $11.59
Virginia $11.11

Do you have a link?

Welfare Statistics

Statistic Verification

Welfare Statistics

Welfare Demographics

Welfare Statistics

Less than 7 months 19%

7 to 12 months 15.2%

1 to 2 years 19.3%

2 to 5 years 26.9%

Over 5 years 19.6%

Hawaii $17.50
Alaska $15.48
Massachusetts $14.66
Connecticut $14.23
Washington, D.C. $13.99
New York $13.13
New Jersey $12.55
Rhode Island $12.55
California $11.59
Virginia $11.11

No she did not, its up there under statistics. They can make 1k a month and get all the benefits too....
The % of people working and getting welfare while working does not equate with just a casual figure of 1000 dollars income per month. This amount varies with each state.

Says someone who has never been poor. Good for you.

You have no idea what I have or haven't been, where I have or have not been, or what I have or have not seen.

And you pretend to be educated. Hilarious.

More so than you, undoubtedly.

Forum List

Back