No 'Stand Down' Order In Benghazi, Despite What Darrell Issa Said

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
WASHINGTON (AP) — The testimony of nine military officers undermines contentions by Republican lawmakers that a "stand-down order" held back military assets that could have saved the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans killed at a diplomatic outpost and CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya.

The "stand-down" theory centers on a Special Operations team of four — a detachment leader, a medic, a communications expert and a weapons operator with his foot in a cast — who were stopped from flying from Tripoli to Benghazi after the attacks of Sept. 11-12, 2012, had ended. Instead, they were instructed to help protect and care for those being evacuated from Benghazi and from the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli.

The senior military officer who issued the instruction to "remain in place" and the detachment leader who received it said it was the right decision and has been widely mischaracterized. The order was to remain in Tripoli and protect some three dozen embassy personnel rather than fly to Benghazi some 600 miles away after all Americans there would have been evacuated. And the medic is credited with saving the life of an evacuee from the attacks.

Transcripts of hours of closed-door interviews with the military leaders by the House Armed Services and Oversight and Government Reform committees were made public for the first time on Wednesday. The Associated Press had reviewed the material ahead of its release.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., chairman of the Oversight panel, has suggested Hillary Rodham Clinton gave the order, though as secretary of state at the time, she was not in the military chain of command.

MORE: No 'Stand Down' Order In Benghazi, Despite What Darrell Issa Said

Well, that's good enough for me. Will these facts from military leaders stop the Benghazi conspiracy theorists? I doubt it...

Well, that's good enough for me. Will these facts from military leaders stop the Benghazi conspiracy theorists? I doubt it...

Let's say that it's true there was no stand down order. That doesn't explain why the Obama administration didn't send anyone to help them. I don't know what "conspiracy theorists" will look for, but those of us with critical minds want to know why we didn't send them help, which this doesn't answer, and why the Obama administration impeded an investigation into the matter, which this doesn't matter for either.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The testimony of nine military officers undermines contentions by Republican lawmakers that a "stand-down order" held back military assets that could have saved the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans killed at a diplomatic outpost and CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya.

The "stand-down" theory centers on a Special Operations team of four — a detachment leader, a medic, a communications expert and a weapons operator with his foot in a cast — who were stopped from flying from Tripoli to Benghazi after the attacks of Sept. 11-12, 2012, had ended. Instead, they were instructed to help protect and care for those being evacuated from Benghazi and from the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli.

The senior military officer who issued the instruction to "remain in place" and the detachment leader who received it said it was the right decision and has been widely mischaracterized. The order was to remain in Tripoli and protect some three dozen embassy personnel rather than fly to Benghazi some 600 miles away after all Americans there would have been evacuated. And the medic is credited with saving the life of an evacuee from the attacks.

Transcripts of hours of closed-door interviews with the military leaders by the House Armed Services and Oversight and Government Reform committees were made public for the first time on Wednesday. The Associated Press had reviewed the material ahead of its release.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., chairman of the Oversight panel, has suggested Hillary Rodham Clinton gave the order, though as secretary of state at the time, she was not in the military chain of command.

MORE: No 'Stand Down' Order In Benghazi, Despite What Darrell Issa Said

And it is said there was no live streaming action video, where the President and top military aides sat around watching Americans being killed,

Imagine that?

I see the liberals are still frantically juggling words and parsing phrases, tryin to pretend we didn't let the personnel in Benghazi die when we could have helped.

"Stand Down" has a slightly different meaning from "No, don't go to where they are fighting, go back to your barracks and put away your equipment".

As if that difference had any real significance to what was going on.

But the liberals are screaming (as they did right after the actual events), "See?? See?? There WASN'T a "Stand Down" order!!! Not exactly!"

These people are quite sick.

Don't you remember after New Orleans how the liberals were all running around saying, crap, we can't go after W, we can't find an order from him telling FEMA to sand down! I don't remember that either...

Let's say that it's true there was no stand down order. That doesn't explain why the Obama administration didn't send anyone to help them.

really? :cuckoo: Help them in what way? From where? How?

good gawd, you're acting an illiterate tool

I remember that first 24 hours.. A lot of us were here posting.. A report came out that Barry went to bed.. That's the last I heard regarding his whereabouts that night.

And it is said there was no live streaming action video, where the President and top military aides sat around watching Americans being killed,

Imagine that?

So does Dante think that during the hours after the consulate was requesting help before they died anyone told him what was going on? Or does Dante think he was clueless, uninformed and out of the loop?

That was reported by a major network at the same time the official talking points were being written.. The first that came out blamed the Embassy.. that was scratched.. then came the Video blame game lie.

Let's say that it's true there was no stand down order. That doesn't explain why the Obama administration didn't send anyone to help them.

really? :cuckoo: Help them in what way? From where? How?

good gawd, you're acting an illiterate tool

Um...men with guns? Lots of them? What did Dante think that the consulate was asking for, recommendations for local restaurants?

Imagine that?

So does Dante think that during the hours after the consulate was requesting help before they died anyone told him what was going on? Or does Dante think he was clueless, uninformed and out of the loop?

I have faith that as CinC he did what his experienced military and civilian advisers gave him the options of doing. It's like the Bush Goat Book 911 shit -- what was he gonna do?

Geesh!

"To underscore that these protests are rooted in an internet video, and not a broader failure of policy." -- Obama memo lying about Benghazi attack

Imagine that?

I have faith that as CinC he did what his experienced military and civilian advisers gave him the options of doing. It's like the Bush Goat Book 911 shit -- what was he gonna do?

Geesh!

Well, Kerry said he'd jump up flinging the kids on his lap into the wall, run around in circles grabbing his head like his hair was on fire screaming, "we're all gonna die, we're all gonna die" then run out of the room and take tactical command of the situation.

At that point, the first plane had flown into the tower and the second was about to. No, there's nothing that shrieking and freaking out like the leftists like Dante wanted would have made any difference.

However, Benghazi was different for two reasons. First, they had hours to respond, they weren't in the middle of the attack. Apparently Dante didn't follow it too closely. Second, it wasn't a military decision that prevented them from getting help, it was a political one.

Those of us who care about the Country and the truth want to know why. Those of us who care about the Democratic party don't want to know because you know it's not going to be good for the Democratic party. We all know that, but "what difference does it make now?" It makes a shit load of difference. That's what difference it makes now.

Did Obama sit there and watch those men die or was he playing cards with his friend while they died?

Doesn't matter, the popcorn was late, and when it got there it didn't have enough butter on it. That's why the orders were issued, so the CiC could savor their pathetic, useless cries for help, with the correct amount of butter on his popcorn.

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

I'm outraged.

Issa is angry at the military officers that proved he fabricated events, the photo of his face is filled with rage:

Upon arrival there, the head of a small detachment entrusted with training Libyan special forces told his higher-ups he wanted to take his four-member team to Benghazi.

Military officials differ on when that telephone conversation took place, but they agree that no help could have arrived in Benghazi in time. They put the call somewhere between 5:05 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. local time. It would take about 90 minutes to fly from Tripoli to Benghazi. The next U.S.-chartered plane to make the trip left at 6:49 a.m., meaning it could have arrived shortly before 9 a.m., nearly four hours after the second, 11-minute battle at the CIA facility ended at about 5:25 a.m.

Issa is known to 'embellish' details

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Darrell Issa says that during the Vietnam War he served with an elite Army bomb unit, traveling with then-President Richard Nixon to protect him from harm.

He attended baseball's World Series in 1971 as part of the president's security entourage, Issa once told an interviewer.

But military records obtained by The Examiner and interviews with former soldiers cast doubt on the stories the millionaire executive-turned-politician tells about his Army days.

The records show that Issa's service on what he terms an

"Army security team" amounted to less than six months on a bomb-disposal squad in 1971. That's scant experience to qualify him for presidential security duty, former GI bomb experts say.

Issa couldn't have guarded Nixon at the World Series because the president didn't attend, according to the Nixon Presidential Library in Yorba Linda.

According to records and interviews, Issa's service on the bomb squad was marred by a bad conduct rating, a demotion and allegations that he had stolen a fellow soldier's car.

And although Issa's campaign biography says he served nine years in the Army before leaving to make his fortune in the electronics business, the records show he served for five years and three months: as an enlisted man during 1970-1972, and as a lieutenant from 1976 to 1980.

Between 1972 and 1976, he was a college student in an Army ROTC program, records show.

Geesh!

Well, Kerry said he'd jump up flinging the kids on his lap into the wall, run around in circles grabbing his head like his hair was on fire screaming, "we're all gonna die, we're all gonna die" then run out of the room and take tactical command of the situation.

At that point, the first plane had flown into the tower and the second was about to. No, there's nothing that shrieking and freaking out like the leftists like Dante wanted would have made any difference.

However, Benghazi was different for two reasons. First, they had hours to respond, they weren't in the middle of the attack. Apparently Dante didn't follow it too closely. Second, it wasn't a military decision that prevented them from getting help, it was a political one.

Those of us who care about the Country and the truth want to know why. Those of us who care about the Democratic party don't want to know because you know it's not going to be good for the Democratic party. We all know that, but "what difference does it make now?" It makes a shit load of difference. That's what difference it makes now.

what makes you certain that a political decision, not a military decision, was the reason troops weren't sent?

Forum List

Back