No You Do Not Have An Absolute Right To Have Certain Types Of Or The Carrying Of Firearms

“We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. ‘Miller’ said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those ‘in common use at the time.’ 307 U.S., at 179, 59 S.Ct. 816. We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of ‘dangerous and unusual weapons.’”

Justice Scalia also wrote:

“It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful in military service — M-16 rifles and the like — may be banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said, the conception of the militia at the time of the Second Amendment’s ratification was the body of all citizens capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as effective as militias in the 18th century, would require sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at large. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjZ4oTAvcDUAhUBzIMKHVVBAzoQFgg9MAQ&url=https://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/justice-scalias-gun-control-argument/&usg=AFQjCNGSFaggs-G15kcyTS8oO4Bcio9tiQ&sig2=_z6ec0jGImhSGUdZGmsLUw
An ar15 is a sporting rifle nothing more. Only fucking little snowflakes are scared of such a inadequate weapon for military muster...
Sources told ABC News that the primary weapon used in shooting was an SKS 7.62 assault-style rifle. Authorities also recovered a Smith and Wesson 9 mm pistol, though it was not clear if it was used in the attack.
I don't know what an SKS 7.62 assault-style rifle is, but it was purchased legally.
-assault-rifle-soabcnews.go.com/US/gun-scalise-shooting-legally-purchasedurces/story?id=48051990

SKS-CH.jpg

A ten shot semi automatic rifle made for a few years in the forties, with a non removable magazine. Chinese mostly, I think.
Thanks. Maybe his Dad's, ya think?

I carry much of the time but not when visiting schools or government installations. I do carry a weapon to church. Pastor does, too.
? That's kind of sad.

Why would it be sad.......

Was it sad that the members of Congress didn't have guns yesterday? And the only thing that saved them was the Whip was able to attend practice? Do you realize that the Whip rarely makes those early morning practices, and that it was a miracle that he was there...with his armed security?

“We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. ‘Miller’ said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those ‘in common use at the time.’ 307 U.S., at 179, 59 S.Ct. 816. We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of ‘dangerous and unusual weapons.’”

“It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful in military service — M-16 rifles and the like — may be banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said, the conception of the militia at the time of the Second Amendment’s ratification was the body of all citizens capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as effective as militias in the 18th century, would require sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at large. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjZ4oTAvcDUAhUBzIMKHVVBAzoQFgg9MAQ&url=https://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/justice-scalias-gun-control-argument/&usg=AFQjCNGSFaggs-G15kcyTS8oO4Bcio9tiQ&sig2=_z6ec0jGImhSGUdZGmsLUw

The most "Common Use" rifle right now...is the AR-15.......between 5-8 million in private hands.....

Dangerous and unusual? Grenades...even though they could be carried in the pocket or on the person, they are dangerous and unusual......all other rifle and pistol types are covered by the 2nd Amendment....

In Texas we have open carry now and things are just fine. No wild west shootouts are happening like the libtards and dummiecrats said would happen.
It's always been OC here, never was made illegal, which is what would have to be done. No problems here, libs know a lot of stuff that has no bearing on reality.

I carry much of the time but not when visiting schools or government installations. I do carry a weapon to church. Pastor does, too.
? That's kind of sad.

Was it sad that the members of Congress didn't have guns yesterday? And the only thing that saved them was the Whip was able to attend practice? Do you realize that the Whip rarely makes those early morning practices, and that it was a miracle that he was there...with his armed security?
Oh, for Pete's sake, 2AGuy, pay attention. Jake needs to carry in church? You'd think church was for quiet thoughtful peaceful meditation, not looking over your shoulder and keeping your handgun ready to fire. That's what we were discussing, not a public park.

An ar15 is a sporting rifle nothing more. Only fucking little snowflakes are scared of such a inadequate weapon for military muster...
Sources told ABC News that the primary weapon used in shooting was an SKS 7.62 assault-style rifle. Authorities also recovered a Smith and Wesson 9 mm pistol, though it was not clear if it was used in the attack.
I don't know what an SKS 7.62 assault-style rifle is, but it was purchased legally.
-assault-rifle-soabcnews.go.com/US/gun-scalise-shooting-legally-purchasedurces/story?id=48051990

SKS-CH.jpg

A ten shot semi automatic rifle made for a few years in the forties, with a non removable magazine. Chinese mostly, I think.
They are readily available for sale.

You forgot this part.....

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

We start therefore with a strong presumption that the Second Amendment right is exercised individually and belongs to all Americans.

Some have made the argument, bordering on the frivolous, that only those arms in existence in the 18th century are protected by the Second Amendment.

We do not interpret constitutional rights that way. Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, e.g., Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521 U. S. 844, 849 (1997), and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, e.g., Kyllo v. United States, 533 U. S. 27, 35–36 (2001), the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding.

-------

We think that Miller’s “ordinary military equipment” language must be read in tandem with what comes after: “[O]rdinarily when called for [militia] service [able-bodied] men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.” 307 U. S., at 179. The traditional militia was formed from a pool of men bringing arms “in common use at the time” for lawful purposes like self-defense. “In the colonial and revolutionary war era, [small-arms] weapons used by militiamen and weapons used in defense of person and home were one and the same.” State v. Kessler, 289 Ore. 359, 368, 614 P. 2d 94, 98 (1980) (citing G. Neumann, Swords and Blades of the American Revolution 6–15, 252–254 (1973)). Indeed, that is precisely the way in which the Secon
---
--

? That's kind of sad.

Oh, for Pete's sake, 2AGuy, pay attention. Jake needs to carry in church? You'd think church was for quiet thoughtful peaceful meditation, not looking over your shoulder and keeping your handgun ready to fire. That's what we were discussing, not a public park.

So.....you are saying there has never been violence directed at Churches? Why Wouldn't you carry in church? when you are out in the public do you carry your cell phone? In case there is an emergency?

? That's kind of sad.

A gun does not intefere with thoughtful, peaceful meditation......

? That's kind of sad.

Aww bullshit. I was in church the other day and I could hear about 5 or 6 guns talking and making Catholic Priest jokes during the sermon.

? That's kind of sad.

Yep, there is never been the case were a firearm has controlled a human being… in less you ask a progressive...
they think that when someone buys a firearm, they instantly turn into killers.

? That's kind of sad.

Do you think the victims that Dylann Roof murdered in church would have like to have had handguns ready to fire?

? That's kind of sad.

Aww bullshit. I was in church the other day and I could hear about 5 or 6 guns talking and making Catholic Priest jokes during the sermon.
Well, the pope thinks that statues have power… lol

SKS-CH.jpg

You said they were made in the 40's. Used?

In Texas we have open carry now and things are just fine. No wild west shootouts are happening like the libtards and dummiecrats said would happen.

I have never seen anyone pull a gun. Never. I was in a Kroger a couple years ago and a guy came in and started chasing his girlfriend who was an employee. He pulled out a switchblade and threatened to cut her. I grabbed 2 cans of tomatoes and was going to crease his skull if she ran by me. An employee with a push broom swung it like a bat and knocked the guy unconscious and the cops were there in 2 minutes. I had a concealed weapon and probably half the guys there also. I never once thought of pulling it. Libtards think we go around waving guns and threatening people. We're taught never to show your weapon unless someone is pointing theirs or another deadly weapon at you or other people.

? That's kind of sad.

Do you think the victims that Dylann Roof murdered in church would have like to have had handguns ready to fire?
They probably would have liked Dylan Roof not to have one. In some countries, that's the way of things.

SKS-CH.jpg

They are based on an AK... but much worse made.

SKS-CH.jpg

They are based on an AK... but much worse made.
The Ak47 is loosely based on the gas operating system used in the SKS not the other way around, and is the same caliber. Quality between the two is similar.

? That's kind of sad.

They probably would have liked Dylan Roof not to have one. In some countries, that's the way of things.
But you can't bring yourself to respond the question asked can you? Why is you are so afraid of guns? There is all kind of stuff a person can use to kill you, but you are only terrified of guns. Sounds like media conditioning to me. And as far as I know, the SKS rifle is only available used.

Forum List

Back