Nobody could have fixed the economy in 4 years.....

Ben Stein this morning pointed out Bush got problems from Clinton in the stock market, economy, etc.....as well as the 9-11 surprise but never said a peep about the problems he got from Clinton.

The economy at the end of Clinton's term was going downhill, period. 9-11 only hurt the economy even more so the recovery Bush had before the housing/banking mess shows his policies worked.

The housing/banking mess was a systemic problem put in place by liberal policies/rulings before Bush took the White House.

Ben Stein this morning pointed out Bush got problems from Clinton in the stock market, economy, etc.....as well as the 9-11 surprise but never said a peep about the problems he got from Clinton.

The economy at the end of Clinton's term was going downhill, period. 9-11 only hurt the economy even more so the recovery Bush had before the housing/banking mess shows his policies worked.

The housing/banking mess was a systemic problem put in place by liberal policies/rulings before Bush took the White House.

How dare you tell us the truth.

President Clinton in his speech last night stated that although he inherited a bad economy from Bush Sr., the economy that Obama received from Bush Jr. was much worse, and that no president, not him, nor any of his predecessors could have fixed the economy in only 4 years.

Maybe Obama's new slogan should be "saved in 4, fixed by 8".

BULLSHIT! The entire economy could've been turned around in 2 years - no if, and's, or butt's about it.

And precisely what -- based on your knowledge of domestic and global economies and the nature, depth, breadth and complexity of the meltdown and its ripple effects -- leads you to that conclusion and timeline?

This information would be very helpful to me as I invest my clients' money and speak with other financial advisors who, like myself, are neck deep in this stuff seven days a week and admit to an inability to come to such clear conclusions about this incredibly complicated and still-unfolding disaster.

And if it's okay with you, I would forward your input to folks I know in the mutual fund/ETF industry who are struggling with this as well. Your assistance would allow them to make better investment decisions, because they are essentially in the same boat as I am - struggling daily with the breathtaking damage that decades of poor economic decision-making has wrought.

I look forward to your input and data. Links to any research and/or empirical data from which you drew for your conclusion would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

Would anyone else like to take a swing at this one?

Reagan did.

Different circumstances, different problems, different economy.

Reagan saw an increase in public sector jobs during his first four years, where Obama has seen a very large decrease. Even with that, unemployment only dropped by 1/10 of one percent from the time Reagan took office until just before the 84 election. Reagan's real recovery did not happen until his second term.

That may be correct but the economic problems were much different then than they are now. Back then, the problem was inflation. Today, it is deflation caused by an asset price collapse.

President Clinton in his speech last night stated that although he inherited a bad economy from Bush Sr., the economy that Obama received from Bush Jr. was much worse, and that no president, not him, nor any of his predecessors could have fixed the economy in only 4 years.

He may not have been able to fix it in 4 years, but he didn't have add on to it either. He needs to go before he adds even more debt the next four years.

Reagan did it in less time.

How dare you tell us the truth.
Agreed

Here's an interesting chart. Jobs are recovering at about the same rate as they did after the 2001 and 1990 recession. The below chart shows that the time-frames of jobs recovery after all recessions since 1948.
Thusly at this point based on the arch of recovery, there isn't much of a difference than the recovery of jobs from the much, much smaller recessions of 1990 and 2001.

Last edited:
BULLSHIT! The entire economy could've been turned around in 2 years - no if, and's, or butt's about it.

And precisely what -- based on your knowledge of domestic and global economies and the nature, depth, breadth and complexity of the meltdown and its ripple effects -- leads you to that conclusion and timeline?

This information would be very helpful to me as I invest my clients' money and speak with other financial advisors who, like myself, are neck deep in this stuff seven days a week and admit to an inability to come to such clear conclusions about this incredibly complicated and still-unfolding disaster.

And if it's okay with you, I would forward your input to folks I know in the mutual fund/ETF industry who are struggling with this as well. Your assistance would allow them to make better investment decisions, because they are essentially in the same boat as I am - struggling daily with the breathtaking damage that decades of poor economic decision-making has wrought.

I look forward to your input and data. Links to any research and/or empirical data from which you drew for your conclusion would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

Buy Gold.

Thanks.

Buy Gold.

Yup, as soon as the bond market shows signs it's about to implode. GLD, DGP, DBP.

Still wish I could get an answer about how the economy could have been turned around in two years, "no butt's about it."

Last edited:

Obama said he could, so did he lie or just stupid, or extremely under qualified to access the situation.

The 07-09 Great Republican Recession was curtailed by the Obama Administration in June of 09 by the first positive GDP since Dec. 07 that have remained positive for each Quarter from June 09 to the present Time.

Obama kept his word and did so in 18 months ... the Recovery is what is being debated and because of the severity of the Recession will require additional time to fully restore the economy -

as well as the fact the Great Recession was curtailed by the Obama Administration, the Administration is also credited with preventing a New, Turn of the Century, World Wide Depression.

Obama said he could, so did he lie or just stupid, or extremely under qualified to access the situation.

The 07-09 Great Republican Recession was curtailed by the Obama Administration in June of 09 by the first positive GDP since Dec. 07 that have remained positive for each Quarter from June 09 to the present Time.

Obama kept his word and did so in 18 months ... the Recovery is what is being debated and because of the severity of the Recession will require additional time to fully restore the economy -

as well as the fact the Great Recession was curtailed by the Obama Administration, the Administration is also credited with preventing a New, Turn of the Century, World Wide Depression.

2007- 2009 Democratic controlled congress with a junior senator obama

What did Obama do? Would have the GDP recovered regradless of what he did?

"Curtailed"? LOL Look, although you can correctly make the point that "technically" the recession ended in 2009 that's only because the strict definition of what constitutes a recession is negative GDP growth for two quarters. The truth is we are still in recovery from the 2007-2008 recession and that recovery is the slowest of any recession since the Great Depression. A GDP "growth" that is averaging 1 to 2% isn't anything to brag about especially coming out of a recession where you normally see a rebound effect that has large increases in the growth of GDP. That hasn't occurred under the policies of this President. The latest jobs report is just one more dismal indication of that fact.

I'm amused by your contention that Barack Obama somehow prevented a "World Wide Depression". The countries that chose not to go along with his solution...massive government spending...have done as well if not better with their economies than we have with ours...and they haven't incurred the trillions in debt that we have. Why don't THEY get credit for improving the World's "balance sheet"? All we've done is rob Peter to pay Paul and now we're squabbling over how to handle our looming fiscal "cliff".

"Curtailed"? LOL Look, although you can correctly make the point that "technically" the recession ended in 2009 that's only because the strict definition of what constitutes a recession is negative GDP growth for two quarters. The truth is we are still in recovery from the 2007-2008 recession and that recovery is the slowest of any recession since the Great Depression. A GDP "growth" that is averaging 1 to 2% isn't anything to brag about especially coming out of a recession where you normally see a rebound effect that has large increases in the growth of GDP. That hasn't occurred under the policies of this President. The latest jobs report is just one more dismal indication of that fact.

I'm amused by your contention that Barack Obama somehow prevented a "World Wide Depression". The countries that chose not to go along with his solution...massive government spending...have done as well if not better with their economies than we have with ours...and they haven't incurred the trillions in debt that we have. Why don't THEY get credit for improving the World's "balance sheet"? All we've done is rob Peter to pay Paul and now we're squabbling over how to handle our looming fiscal "cliff".

Bammy is their "messiah", never mind everything sucks economically.

Forum List

Back