Nobody doubts the M4 is an assault weapon. Are there any material differences between an M4 and an AR15?

This GOTCHA attempt is so lame, we need to call in a veterinarian and have it put down.
It's an honest question. All I want is an honest answer.
Lots of people doubt its an assault rifle so the entire thread is pointless.
There are always people who live in their own little world, but if disagree with our military's definition, you're pretty much an idiot.
Like you who thinks that it's soooooo easy to modify an AR 15 into a fully automatic weapon even though no one ever seems to use modified AR 15s to commit crimes
Perhaps it would be beyond your ability to fabricate one small part, and purchase the rest. That wouldn't be a big hurdle for many.
Then tell me why we don't see people using modified Ar 15s to commit crimes.

You say all this shit but you have no proof that people are actually modifying their ARs
I never said they do, even though I believe some do. I just said it was possible, and not that hard to do.
And that assertion was proven wrong by people with gunsmithing experience.
I must have missed that. Link?

This GOTCHA attempt is so lame, we need to call in a veterinarian and have it put down.
There are always people who live in their own little world, but if disagree with our military's definition, you're pretty much an idiot.
Like you who thinks that it's soooooo easy to modify an AR 15 into a fully automatic weapon even though no one ever seems to use modified AR 15s to commit crimes
Perhaps it would be beyond your ability to fabricate one small part, and purchase the rest. That wouldn't be a big hurdle for many.

You say all this shit but you have no proof that people are actually modifying their ARs
I never said they do, even though I believe some do. I just said it was possible, and not that hard to do.
you missed a lot more than that,,

Like I said if it was as easy as you say that we would see criminals , especially gangs, use them and it just doesn't happen.

Lots of things are possible but aren't probable

Auto fire from rifleman is for final fire in an emergency usually when being assaulted and the enemy has closed to danger close, as in in threat of being over run.
Yes. Rarely used.
which has nothing to do with the fact it has the ability and the AR15 does not making them critically different, there is no difference between an AR15 and any other semi automatic rifle especially those with detachable magazines.
Amusing but not surprising that after 400 posts, so many are struggling with the question in the OP, and the purpose of the thread. I'll type slowly so it will be easier for you to understand.

We all know the M4 is capable of select fire. We also know the AR15 is not.
Are there any other significant
(that means big) differences between the two rifles?
I guess youre to stupid to know thats the only difference,,

now why did it matter??
I assumed as much from the beginning. I just wanted to know how gun nuts would respond to the question.
so this whole thread was a troll and should have been in the rubber room,,
It was a straight forward question. I didn't make you look like fools by babbling about everything but the subject. You did that all on your own.
IM GONNA ASK A QUESTION AND I WILL ONLY ACCEPT ONE ANWSER AND IF U DONT GIVE IT TO ME UR DUMB
That's funny. The closest thing I got to an answer to the question was barrel length, but you can get just about any barrel length for both of them. The 2nd isn't an answer to the question, and state laws isn't an answer either.
Still pretending you didn't get any answers just because you don't like them.

How is it you expect to be taken seriously?
You aren;t a serious person, your opinion doesn't matter.
pot meet kettle

Auto fire from rifleman is for final fire in an emergency usually when being assaulted and the enemy has closed to danger close, as in in threat of being over run.
Yes. Rarely used.
which has nothing to do with the fact it has the ability and the AR15 does not making them critically different, there is no difference between an AR15 and any other semi automatic rifle especially those with detachable magazines.
Amusing but not surprising that after 400 posts, so many are struggling with the question in the OP, and the purpose of the thread. I'll type slowly so it will be easier for you to understand.

We all know the M4 is capable of select fire. We also know the AR15 is not.
Are there any other significant
(that means big) differences between the two rifles?
I guess youre to stupid to know thats the only difference,,

now why did it matter??
I assumed as much from the beginning. I just wanted to know how gun nuts would respond to the question.
so this whole thread was a troll and should have been in the rubber room,,
It was a straight forward question. I didn't make you look like fools by babbling about everything but the subject. You did that all on your own.
IM GONNA ASK A QUESTION AND I WILL ONLY ACCEPT ONE ANWSER AND IF U DONT GIVE IT TO ME UR DUMB
That's funny. The closest thing I got to an answer to the question was barrel length, but you can get just about any barrel length for both of them. The 2nd isn't an answer to the question, and state laws isn't an answer either.
Still pretending you didn't get any answers just because you don't like them.

How is it you expect to be taken seriously?
You aren;t a serious person, your opinion doesn't matter.
No, you smarmy little shit, you are NOT entitled to unquestioning agreement and endorsement.

If that's what you want, I suggest USMB is not the venue for you.

You didn't miss it. You lying about what's been presented is a "you" problem.

Like I said if it was as easy as you say that we would see criminals , especially gangs, use them and it just doesn't happen.

BUT ALL YOU NEED IS A FILE AND A PIECE OF STEEL CMON MAN ITS SO EASY

I never said just a file and piece of steel, but I get your point. I never explicitly said it would also require some sort of easily built jig and some sort of easily built bracket to hold the grinder steady. I regularly use those types of things, and don't see them as anything other than just normal use of the tool. I still stand by my claim that it is possible to cut a few non-complex notches out of a 1/2 by 3/4 by 1 1/4 inch piece of steel with nothing more than a grinder, a vice, and perhaps a file to smooth up the rough cuts, and a cheap set of Harbor Freight calipers to check your work. Oh look, I added a file and a way of measuring. I didn't mention a pencil to mark where to cut either. Does that mean my claim that a DIAS is easily built is a lie?

I never said just a file and piece of steel, but I get your point. I never explicitly said it would also require some sort of easily built jig and some sort of easily built bracket to hold the grinder steady. I regularly use those types of things, and don't see them as anything other than just normal use of the tool. I still stand by my claim that it is possible to cut a few non-complex notches out of a 1/2 by 3/4 by 1 1/4 inch piece of steel with nothing more than a grinder, a vice, and perhaps a file to smooth up the rough cuts, and a cheap set of Harbor Freight calipers to check your work. Oh look, I added a file and a way of measuring. I didn't mention a pencil to mark where to cut either. Does that mean my claim that a DIAS is easily built is a lie?
Did you bother to read the facts on this claim? The fact is the generic lower assembly for the ar15 is not built for auto fire and if you add a sear you will blow the weapon up. The fact is that the bolt assembly group of the generic ar15 is not designed for auto fire and will not allow auto fire at all sear or no sear.

Did you bother to read the facts on this claim? The fact is the generic lower assembly for the ar15 is not built for auto fire and if you add a sear you will blow the weapon up. The fact is that the bolt assembly group of the generic ar15 is not designed for auto fire and will not allow auto fire at all sear or no sear.
Yes, I read the information. From the first part of this discussion, I have said the conversion requires a few additional non restricted, easily obtainable parts other than the DIAS. The bolt assembly group from an M16 is easily obtainable, and non restricted, and works perfectly in a converted rifle..

1621822996688.png

You also need a modified lower assembly group unless they sell M16 lower assembly too.
I hadn't considered the high shelf vs low shelf problem. I guess you would have to make sure your lower is low shelf before you start. Both styles are pretty common. In the worst case scenario where your lower is high shelf, I guess you would have to spend a few more bucks and buy a low shelf lower. They are perfectly legal. Another hundred bucks shouldn't be a problem for a hard core gun nut. Still not a hard job to convert to full auto. Illegal as hell, but still pretty easy to do.
Here, you can find a list of manufacturers who mostly only sell low shelf versions of the AR 15 lower.
And here is another interesting site you might enjoy.

So it seems most finally agree that full auto is really the only material difference between the two rifles, and the only question now, to find what I was looking for in the OP, is whether the conversion is fairly easy. Buying the needed parts, other than the DIAS, seems easy enough since they are for sale at damn near every gun store, and none of them require any special permit or approval for anyone to buy. A couple hundred bucks should cover the bolt carrier group, a M16 hammer and any other non regulated trigger parts needed. It comes down to whether the DIAS is pretty easy to build. Is that a fair assessment?

The M4 is the main rifle used by the US military, and no one could question that it is an assault rifle. The M4 is capable of full automatic fire, and 3 round burst, and the AR15 is not. Of course, it would be illegal, but the AR15 can easily be converted to allow those types of fire. Other than that difference, what makes an M4 an assault weapon, and an AR15 not?

That is the rifle I qualified (sharp shooter) on in Basic Training. In I carried the Mattie Mattel Nightmare (M-16) and hated it.

Forum List

Back