None Dare Call It What It Is...

1. Evil, that is.

In fact, in secular society, very few even dare use the term; it's archaic, it's abstruse....it's.....religious.

But it exists.

“The world turns and the world changes,
But one thing does not change.
In all of my years, one thing does not change,
However you disguise it, this thing does not change:
The perpetual struggle of Good and Evil.” T. S. Eliot

2. "In enlightened political conversation, the word 'evil' had been disreputable for a long time-..... The wordevil,” in many minds, |smacks of an atavistic, superstitious, and even medieval simplism, of a fundamentalist mindset that might be inclined to in witches or to reject the teachings of evoluiton in the public schools.

The secular, educated, cosmopolitan instinct...tends to shun the word 'evil' and, as an optimist and creature of the Enlightenment, approaches the world's horrors as individual problems that can be solved...."
Lance Morrow, "Evil: An Investigation,"p.12-13

"Evil has made a successful career over many centuries by persuading people that it does not exist."

3. Did I mention that the fear of being labeled as 'religious' has caused some fearful folks to make some sort of humor out of the term.

"The sixties' rebellion against authority introduced the idea of Satan as rock star..

...Many people do not believe evil exists..... The trouble comes in trying to understand evil. When people become frustrated in their effort to do so, they are inclined to say that because they do not understand evil, it does not exist- a....fallacy based on the thought that what I do not understand cannot be real."
Op.Cit., p. 3-4

But it is here, it does exist....and it plays a mighty role in the course of human activity.
Your God created evil..
Evil is not extant. Evil is the absence of good.
That God created, don't try to bullshit me with yer dogma.
It isn't dogma. It is reality. Darkness, cold and evil are not extant. They do not exist on their own. They only exist as the absence of something else. Don't bullshit me with your uninformed bullshit. Fair enough?

I believe there is evil in the world, but God is not the evil one. The evil one is Satan, Jesus said so.
Is God capable of eliminating Satan if He choose? It seems to me if you allow evil to continue you are culpable.
Satan has been defeated. Haven't you read the book? Man disobeyed God and gave up his authority on the earth. God redeemed man. God has done it all. We're the guilty ones, not God. Do you believe in sin and understand what it is? Do you understand God is holy, sinless?
If Satan has been defeated why is there still evil in the world? The obvious answer is that God chose to create a world knowing it would be filled with incredible pain and suffering. That sounds like evil to me.
We are never to think of God's power in terms of what he could conceivably do by the exercise of what we may call sheer omnipotence which crushes all obstacles in its path. We are always to think of God's power in terms of his purpose. If what he did by sheer omnipotence defeated his purpose, then, however startling and impressive, it would be an expression of weakness, not of power. Indeed, a good definition of power is "ability to achieve purpose. Does it fulfill its purpose?

God's purpose isn't to achieve a certain outcome. God's purpose is to achieve a certain outcome under certain conditions.

“Religion’s Answer to the Problem of Evil”

The Bible has several literary types; allegorical, historical, law, poetic, prophetic, epistle and proverbial. I'm sure others may add or subtract to this list, but this is a pretty good start. When trying to understand the meaning of passages it is helpful to understand which literary type one is reading and also to place or read the passage in the proper historical light.

Let's start with the tree of knowledge of good and evil and the fall from grace. Genesis is allegorical. It starts with the allegorical account of Creation. After every step God would say "and it was good." So basically everything God created was good. Which makes sense because things like evil, darkness and cold or not extant. They don't exist on their own. They exist as the absence of something else. Cold is the absence of heat. Darkness is the absence of light. And evil is the absence of good.

Man knows right from wrong, but when he violates it, rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong, he rationalizes that he didn't violate it. After Adam and Eve had sinned and realized they were naked, they hid when they heard God coming. They hid because they knew that they had done wrong. Then when God asked point blank if they had done it, they rationalized that it wasn't their fault. Adam, did you eat the apple? The woman you made gave it to me. Eve did you eat the apple? The serpent deceived me.

Man is the only animal capable of knowledge of good and evil. No other creature has this concept. Sure animals can have empathy, but not like man. Animals function on impulse and instinct. Man functions on these too, but in man's case he has the unique ability to override his impulses and instinct for the sake of good. That is free will. It's a choice. Everything is choice.

I don't believe that Genesis is implying that had Adam and Eve never committed the original sin, we would live in paradise forever. I believe Genesis is saying that man has the capacity to do good and evil. So then the question begs why did God create such a world. I believe that that is an artifact of life. In other words, I don't believe God had a choice. It is part and parcel of the extant nature of good. I know people will howl that I said God had no choice but the reality is there are things God can't do. For instance, God can't oppose Himself; He can't go against His own nature. He can't go against his purpose.

So there are two very interesting things which come out of free will. One is that evil has the effect of making good better. It's like salt and sugar. Salt makes sugar taste sweeter. We are told elsewhere that He uses all things for the good of those who love Him. Among other things the Jews discovered is that there is meaning in suffering. 07 Judaism

The other interesting thing is that good has no meaning unless there is evil. In other words, it is not virtuous if you are forced to be virtuous.

In closing, man prefers good over evil. We don't do evil for evil's sake. We do evil for the sake of our own good and when we do, we rationalize that we didn't do evil. But from these acts, goodness will arise and we will be stronger for it. It is a self compensating feature whose sole purpose is to propel consciousness to the next rung in the anthropological ladder.
What was his purpose for dinosaurs?
Part of the process for intelligence to emerge.

upload_2018-5-5_9-58-8.png

1. Evil, that is.

In fact, in secular society, very few even dare use the term; it's archaic, it's abstruse....it's.....religious.

But it exists.

2. "In enlightened political conversation, the word 'evil' had been disreputable for a long time-..... The wordevil,” in many minds, |smacks of an atavistic, superstitious, and even medieval simplism, of a fundamentalist mindset that might be inclined to in witches or to reject the teachings of evoluiton in the public schools.

The secular, educated, cosmopolitan instinct...tends to shun the word 'evil' and, as an optimist and creature of the Enlightenment, approaches the world's horrors as individual problems that can be solved...."

"Evil has made a successful career over many centuries by persuading people that it does not exist."

3. Did I mention that the fear of being labeled as 'religious' has caused some fearful folks to make some sort of humor out of the term.

"The sixties' rebellion against authority introduced the idea of Satan as rock star..

...Many people do not believe evil exists..... The trouble comes in trying to understand evil. When people become frustrated in their effort to do so, they are inclined to say that because they do not understand evil, it does not exist- a....fallacy based on the thought that what I do not understand cannot be real."
Op.Cit., p. 3-4

But it is here, it does exist....and it plays a mighty role in the course of human activity.
Your God created evil..
It isn't dogma. It is reality. Darkness, cold and evil are not extant. They do not exist on their own. They only exist as the absence of something else. Don't bullshit me with your uninformed bullshit. Fair enough?
God didn't create everything then, okay. I am glad you finally admitted it...

1. Evil, that is.

But it exists.

Op.Cit., p. 3-4

Your God created evil..
Sure he did. 14 billion years ago. Since that time matter and energy has merely changed form according to the rules of nature which existed before space and time.

Your intellectual prowess is impressive.

Is God capable of eliminating Satan if He choose? It seems to me if you allow evil to continue you are culpable.
Satan has been defeated. Haven't you read the book? Man disobeyed God and gave up his authority on the earth. God redeemed man. God has done it all. We're the guilty ones, not God. Do you believe in sin and understand what it is? Do you understand God is holy, sinless?
If Satan has been defeated why is there still evil in the world? The obvious answer is that God chose to create a world knowing it would be filled with incredible pain and suffering. That sounds like evil to me.
We are never to think of God's power in terms of what he could conceivably do by the exercise of what we may call sheer omnipotence which crushes all obstacles in its path. We are always to think of God's power in terms of his purpose. If what he did by sheer omnipotence defeated his purpose, then, however startling and impressive, it would be an expression of weakness, not of power. Indeed, a good definition of power is "ability to achieve purpose. Does it fulfill its purpose?

God's purpose isn't to achieve a certain outcome. God's purpose is to achieve a certain outcome under certain conditions.

The Bible has several literary types; allegorical, historical, law, poetic, prophetic, epistle and proverbial. I'm sure others may add or subtract to this list, but this is a pretty good start. When trying to understand the meaning of passages it is helpful to understand which literary type one is reading and also to place or read the passage in the proper historical light.

Let's start with the tree of knowledge of good and evil and the fall from grace. Genesis is allegorical. It starts with the allegorical account of Creation. After every step God would say "and it was good." So basically everything God created was good. Which makes sense because things like evil, darkness and cold or not extant. They don't exist on their own. They exist as the absence of something else. Cold is the absence of heat. Darkness is the absence of light. And evil is the absence of good.

Man knows right from wrong, but when he violates it, rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong, he rationalizes that he didn't violate it. After Adam and Eve had sinned and realized they were naked, they hid when they heard God coming. They hid because they knew that they had done wrong. Then when God asked point blank if they had done it, they rationalized that it wasn't their fault. Adam, did you eat the apple? The woman you made gave it to me. Eve did you eat the apple? The serpent deceived me.

Man is the only animal capable of knowledge of good and evil. No other creature has this concept. Sure animals can have empathy, but not like man. Animals function on impulse and instinct. Man functions on these too, but in man's case he has the unique ability to override his impulses and instinct for the sake of good. That is free will. It's a choice. Everything is choice.

I don't believe that Genesis is implying that had Adam and Eve never committed the original sin, we would live in paradise forever. I believe Genesis is saying that man has the capacity to do good and evil. So then the question begs why did God create such a world. I believe that that is an artifact of life. In other words, I don't believe God had a choice. It is part and parcel of the extant nature of good. I know people will howl that I said God had no choice but the reality is there are things God can't do. For instance, God can't oppose Himself; He can't go against His own nature. He can't go against his purpose.

So there are two very interesting things which come out of free will. One is that evil has the effect of making good better. It's like salt and sugar. Salt makes sugar taste sweeter. We are told elsewhere that He uses all things for the good of those who love Him. Among other things the Jews discovered is that there is meaning in suffering. 07 Judaism

The other interesting thing is that good has no meaning unless there is evil. In other words, it is not virtuous if you are forced to be virtuous.

In closing, man prefers good over evil. We don't do evil for evil's sake. We do evil for the sake of our own good and when we do, we rationalize that we didn't do evil. But from these acts, goodness will arise and we will be stronger for it. It is a self compensating feature whose sole purpose is to propel consciousness to the next rung in the anthropological ladder.

View attachment 191929
5e39b09670d8d0c889a701a7edcf7dd5.jpg

Your God created evil..
Sure he did. 14 billion years ago. Since that time matter and energy has merely changed form according to the rules of nature which existed before space and time.

Your intellectual prowess is impressive.
And it changes because that is how God created it.

I believe there is evil in the world, but God is not the evil one. The evil one is Satan, Jesus said so.

The befuddle creatures like you for His amusement.

View attachment 191929
^ behold the intellectual capacity of a militant atheist

View attachment 191929
Yes, the militancy is quite exposed...So you do try to project illusions about your myths.

We did catch hornytoads as kids.

It changed according to the laws of nature which existed before space and time.

But I already told you that in the post you replied to.

And God existed before space and time because he created himself, first.

View attachment 191929
Yes, the militancy is quite exposed...So you do try to project illusions about your myths.
Your militancy is exposed because you condemn respect for people who believe in God and you can't control your emotions.

I don't project anything. You are the one who projects your hatred for people who believe in God. It is on full display right now.

We did catch hornytoads as kids.
Me too. I also caught lightning bugs in a glass jar and watched them for hours. God is the ultimate scientist.

View attachment 191929
Your militancy is exposed because you condemn respect for people who believe in God and you can't control your emotions.

I don't project anything. You are the one who projects your hatred for people who believe in God. It is on full display right now.
God says your too easy a target, get a grip and hold on tight.

God is eternal and lives outside of space and time. It's kinda like blowing up a balloon and it's filled with stuff. All creation is in the balloon and you're holding it and looking at it.

God is eternal and lives outside of space and time. It's kinda like blowing up a balloon and it's filled with stuff. All creation is in the balloon and you're holding it and looking at it.
I am sure it is..

The only solution to the first cause is something which is eternal and unchanging.

For any give thing there is a final state of fact that once discovered it is known that it was always that way and will always be that way (i.e. eternal and unchanging). I know this as God. We call this objective truth. Objective truth is reality. Reality is existence. Ergo God is objective truth, God is reality; God is existence.

The only solution to the first cause is something which is eternal and unchanging.

For any give thing there is a final state of fact that once discovered it is known that it was always that way and will always be that way (i.e. eternal and unchanging). I know this as God. We call this objective truth. Objective truth is reality. Reality is existence. Ergo God is objective truth, God is reality; God is existence.
Then he is responsible for the trouble in the first place.

Forum List

Back