NorCal Couple Finds $10M In Gold Coins;

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
May Be Greatest Buried Treasure Ever Found In U.S.

Wow! How many of their neighbors are now going to rush out and dig up every inch of their property?

And, how can they keep them? Will the government claim them? Read more with videos @ NorCal Couple Finds $10M In Gold Coins; May Be Greatest Buried Treasure Ever Found In U.S. « CBS San Francisco
TIBURON (CBS SF) – A couple has made the buried treasure find of a lifetime – gold coins worth millions of dollars – on their property in Northern California.

A cache of more than 1,400 rare U.S. gold coins, stored in decaying metal cans and buried near an old tree on the property, was discovered as the couple were taking their dog on a daily walk.

:cool:

And, then comes this:

Prospectors Say Drought Has Created California’s 2nd Gold Rush

gold_prospector2.jpg

Prospectors in Southern California are heading to the hills, saying the severe drought has exposed gold that has never been touched by human hands. As water levels continue to drop more nooks and crannies are easier for these gold hunters to access.

As someone who was an amateur rock hound many decades ago in Southern California, I can tell you this is back-breaking toil in barbaric conditions. If you're not a true lover of Nature with knowledge of how to live in an “uncivilized” manner, this is not for you. Read more @ Prospectors Say Drought Has Created California?s 2nd Gold Rush « CBS Los Angeles

Wow! How many of their neighbors are now going to rush out and dig up every inch of their property?

And, how can they keep them? Will the government claim them? Read more with videos @ NorCal Couple Finds $10M In Gold Coins; May Be Greatest Buried Treasure Ever Found In U.S. « CBS San Francisco
TIBURON (CBS SF) – A couple has made the buried treasure find of a lifetime – gold coins worth millions of dollars – on their property in Northern California.

A cache of more than 1,400 rare U.S. gold coins, stored in decaying metal cans and buried near an old tree on the property, was discovered as the couple were taking their dog on a daily walk.

That IS a unique story. Since they own the land, I would hope the coins remain their property, they purchased. I would love to know the history of the good find.

That IS a unique story. Since they own the land, I would hope the coins remain their property, they purchased. I would love to know the history of the good find.

The coins were probably buried in the late 1890s to early 1900s

They should be able to trace who owned the property back then that would have had that much money

They should be able to trace who owned the property back then that would have had that much money

what makes you think the owner of the land owned the gold coins?

what makes you think the owner of the land owned the gold coins?

We really don't know. But if I had that much money, I would not want to bury it on someone elses property. Especially if I were wealthy enough ($28,000) to buy my own land

Last edited:

Yes, upon the close of escrow, all unclaimed property from the previous owner left on purpose or inadvertently becomes the property of the new owners.

I suspect Pirates
They like to bury treasure

Possibly Leprechauns

I'm happy for the couple.
I'm also waiting for the stories to come out that they can't keep it.
I'm sure the government first local then Federal will find a way to take it.
I'm sure there will be some arguments from liberals who say they should not be "allowed" to keep it because it's not "fair" that they found it and no one else in the area had any gold buried on their property.

The gold may have been buried in the 30s when the government banned private ownership of gold

Saw video of this story earlier. Amazing find and I'm sure they're in shock. Their name and locale isn't being made public for obvious reasons.

I knew someone in AZ who had buried Krugerrands and couldn't find them.

Dumb-de-Dumb-Dumb.

The couple will probably have to pay a fortune in legal fees now...
Did they have a legal permit to dig for gold?....
Did they have a permit to dig at all.
Did they use the right tools when they were digging.
Did they disturb the local fauna and flora during their dig.
Were any insects disturbed or killed when this was done.
What was the impact to the environment while the digging was done...

I could go on and on....

I sold 20 acres in KY back in 1989. And I forgot to keep the mineral rights. There is oil under KY. One day they will be digging for it. And here I sit without the mineral rights on that land!

This is interesting.
When you "buy land" to build your home.
I think you just buy the right to build on the piece of land you don't really own it.

Just like Elizabeth Warren and Obama tell us all the time...
You didn't build that business others did.
So the land owned by this couple might not really be owned by them...

Unless something bad happens to someone while on that property....
Then you can be sure the lawyers say you own it..

Last edited:
This is interesting.
I think you just buy the right to build on the piece of land you don't really own it.

Sorry Roz

You are just trying too hard on this one. Doesn't seem like anyone is taking your bait

Too bad they already made their biggest mistake by going public.
They should never have let any of the news out. Just sell the coins as needed.

Too bad they already made their biggest mistake by going public.
They should never have let any of the news out. Just sell the coins as needed.

The coins may have more value with the buried treasure story behind them

This is interesting.

Sorry Roz

You are just trying too hard on this one. Doesn't seem like anyone is taking your bait

I'm a patient man....

Forum List

Back