‘Not humane’: PETA rips AOC for buying and caging a dog

On occasion yes it is.

What you're saying is you're not creative enough.

Alpha is all about Fear. It doesn't take violence to instill fear with a dog. They're smarter than you seem to think.

It's not about fear numbnuts it's about dominance.
If you have a large aggressive dog that thinks he's the boss you're fucked from the get go.
You might as well roll on your back with your feet and arms in the air and show him your vulnerable under belly.
Yup. These people who think they know what they're talking about, but actually know Jack shit about dogs; are the ones who end up taking their "problem" dogs to the pound. Or just turn em loose on a country road after they've fucked the dog up...

Actually....I've had fucked up dogs come my way who's owners had attempted the Cesare Milan method of dominance on them. And they resorted to biting as opposed to growling (a warning).

Most of the dogs we get from the shelter are given up as adolescents (8 most - 2 yrs) when they are at their most assholistic and people can't deal with it, they aren't a cute puppy anymore, their drives are coming into play and they are jerks. :dunno: I love them though :)

Which is the time frame I picked up Cozmo. He was abused not just dumped at the pound because he was to rambunctious.

Abuse and adolescence are always a bad combination. But a lot of dogs in adolescence also see their drives come into play -especially guardian breeds. And folks don't know how to handle it. If they are also poorly socialized, it's even worse.

On occasion yes it is.

Alpha is all about Fear. It doesn't take violence to instill fear with a dog. They're smarter than you seem to think.

If you have a large aggressive dog that thinks he's the boss you're fucked from the get go.
You might as well roll on your back with your feet and arms in the air and show him your vulnerable under belly.
Yup. These people who think they know what they're talking about, but actually know Jack shit about dogs; are the ones who end up taking their "problem" dogs to the pound. Or just turn em loose on a country road after they've fucked the dog up...

Actually....I've had fucked up dogs come my way who's owners had attempted the Cesare Milan method of dominance on them. And they resorted to biting as opposed to growling (a warning).

Most of the dogs we get from the shelter are given up as adolescents (8 most - 2 yrs) when they are at their most assholistic and people can't deal with it, they aren't a cute puppy anymore, their drives are coming into play and they are jerks. :dunno: I love them though :)
Caesar Milan is a shill. I'm quite surprised you even invoked that clown. Being the alpha of the pack involves a whole lot more than physically correcting a dog. It's hardly a fraction of everything involved. Getting physical is only necessary as a last resort, in response to unacceptable behavior. Most often it isn't even needed.

He may be a shill but he is still disturbingly popular. And, I generally agree with what you say.

Leadership, to me, involves consistent rules, fair play and expectations, respect for the dog and a lot of subtle stuff that never gets to the point of a correction. I would rather have a dog want to do something because he wants to in order to earn what he ultimately desires, than a dog that feels compelled to.

Which is the time frame I picked up Cozmo. He was abused not just dumped at the pound because he was to rambunctious.

Abuse and adolescence are always a bad combination. But a lot of dogs in adolescence also see their drives come into play -especially guardian breeds. And folks don't know how to handle it. If they are also poorly socialized, it's even worse.
Yup. And that is the best time to train a dogs inherent drives into favorable behaviors. But so many people can't handle it, and end up losing their cool. They dont know how to train a dog, and either take it out on the dog. Or get rid of the dog after they've taken out their frustration on the poor thing. If you dont have patience, and a stronger will than the dog; the relationship is guaranteed to fail. The worst part is that the dog is usually the one to pay the price for such owners failures...

Yup. And that is the best time to train a dogs inherent drives into favorable behaviors. But so many people can't handle it, and end up losing their cool. They dont know how to train a dog, and either take it out on the dog. Or get rid of the dog after they've taken out their frustration on the poor thing. If you dont have patience, and a stronger will than the dog; the relationship is guaranteed to fail. The worst part is that the dog is usually the one to pay the price for such owners failures...

Indeed :(

(I am currently going through my pups adolescence!)

./.

I was patient for for over a year and tried every trick I knew to correct his behavior. And as someone whose owned 8 boxers over the years I have a lot of experience dealing with that particular breed and their habits.
Nothing worked. I finally resorted to the alpha male solution which is always the last solution.
Thankfully it worked. The alternative would have been a trip to the back forty and a bullet which thankfully I was able to avoid.

Stop pretending you know jack shit about dogs.

As dogtrainers...we keep a lot of tools in our toolbox and some are indeed last resort. I am not a big proponent of the alpha stuff, but if it worked when nothing else did, the. Maybe it was the right tool. We have to be flexible.

Taking the Alpha role is fine, and sometimes it's necessary with dogs. The physical abuse though is a whole 'nother smoke.
Violence begets violence. It's not necessary to inflict violence to make the Alpha point.

There is a boatload of misconception about "alpha" roles - it became really popular and people like Cesare Millan made it stick but a lot of pack theory is based on really faulty science: the idea that dog packs function like wolf packs.

They really don't. Dogs evolved away from wolves a long time ago - they evolved as scavengers hanging out in the outskirts of human habitations and that required a different more fluid social structure. The other misconception is the idea that wolf pack alpha's are always going beating up subordinates and showing them who's boss. There are relatively few fights for dominance in a wolf pack (which is usually constructed of close family members). The real alpha's just "are"...they don't have to do much, they have presence. It's the INSECURE alpha wannabe's that are always posturing and mounting and starting fights.

In dogs - there is no clear alpha because dog pack dynamics are very fluid. One dog might be alpha when it comes to leading a chase, another might be when it comes to the best spots to sleep in. Dog's evolved to defer to humans as part of their pack order - wolves never did and even when raised by humans as pups still don't see humans as part of their pack structure. It's a key difference between the two.

A lot of alpha theory insists that you need to forceable roll a dog over and pin it to "assert" your dominance (mind you - wolves seldom do this and don't go around rolling their mates at every provocation). This sort of "training" is STILL advocated by some despite the fact it is a damn good way to terrify a dog, get bitten, and destroy trust. Alpha and leadership are not necessarily the same.

Good leadership - consistent fair rules, clear boundaries. There are a lot of ways to attain this that don't involve physical altercation with the dog.

Couldnt disagree more.

Why?

Because your hypothesis is complete bullshit.
Dods are still wild at heart and you'll never breed the pack animal out of them. It exists in domesticated dogs as it does in say "coyotas"
There is always a fight at some point in packs to affirm dominance by the lead male.
Not sure where you came up with the alpha male rolling females to show dominance,he already made that distinction with the weaker male.
Maybe it has something to do with you thinking the female has a say one way or another as to who she mates with. A feminist viewpoint if you will. Thats pure fantasy,stop watching Disney movies fer fucks sake!!!

I'm about to do it all over again..! But it's worth it. It's a labor of love.

Most of my dogs have been adults when I got them, I've had relatively few puppies. The last puppy I had was this boys father and that was 18 years ago (Wyatt, the pup was a product of AI). I've forgotten what adolescence was like - because I swear his dad wasn't this bad! :lol:

Nobody here takes issue with this dude beating his dog?

You have no idea how to train an aggressive dog. My next step was to take him out back and put a bullet in his head.
You do it the same way the pack would do it....kinda like muslime terrorist,they only respect authority.
Indeed. There is a big difference between correcting/disciplining a dog and harming/injuring it. And learning to communicate in the language it understands is key to training a large breed, aggressive dog, and ultimately earning its respect as pack leader.
Kind of...the whole alpha thing though is often overrated and a good way to get bitten. Training a large breed is little different than a small breed.

I dont recommend women use alpha training.
The Dog knows the difference between a male and a female.
Point in case....Our rescue hellion never bit me. But he did bite my Wife.

My rescue German Shepherd never bit me...but she bit my husband. It's not about dominance or physical power.

I promise you he wouldnt have bit me.
I have never been bit by a dog...ever. I've confronted all manner of large dogs with mayhem on their mind and not a single one has bitten me.

./.

As dogtrainers...we keep a lot of tools in our toolbox and some are indeed last resort. I am not a big proponent of the alpha stuff, but if it worked when nothing else did, the. Maybe it was the right tool. We have to be flexible.

Taking the Alpha role is fine, and sometimes it's necessary with dogs. The physical abuse though is a whole 'nother smoke.
Violence begets violence. It's not necessary to inflict violence to make the Alpha point.

There is a boatload of misconception about "alpha" roles - it became really popular and people like Cesare Millan made it stick but a lot of pack theory is based on really faulty science: the idea that dog packs function like wolf packs.

They really don't. Dogs evolved away from wolves a long time ago - they evolved as scavengers hanging out in the outskirts of human habitations and that required a different more fluid social structure. The other misconception is the idea that wolf pack alpha's are always going beating up subordinates and showing them who's boss. There are relatively few fights for dominance in a wolf pack (which is usually constructed of close family members). The real alpha's just "are"...they don't have to do much, they have presence. It's the INSECURE alpha wannabe's that are always posturing and mounting and starting fights.

In dogs - there is no clear alpha because dog pack dynamics are very fluid. One dog might be alpha when it comes to leading a chase, another might be when it comes to the best spots to sleep in. Dog's evolved to defer to humans as part of their pack order - wolves never did and even when raised by humans as pups still don't see humans as part of their pack structure. It's a key difference between the two.

A lot of alpha theory insists that you need to forceable roll a dog over and pin it to "assert" your dominance (mind you - wolves seldom do this and don't go around rolling their mates at every provocation). This sort of "training" is STILL advocated by some despite the fact it is a damn good way to terrify a dog, get bitten, and destroy trust. Alpha and leadership are not necessarily the same.

Good leadership - consistent fair rules, clear boundaries. There are a lot of ways to attain this that don't involve physical altercation with the dog.

Couldnt disagree more.

Why?

Because your hypothesis is complete bullshit.
Dods are still wild at heart and you'll never breed the pack animal out of them. It exists in domesticated dogs as it does in say "coyotas"
There is always a fight at some point in packs to affirm dominance by the lead male.
Not sure where you came up with the alpha male rolling females to show dominance,he already made that distinction with the weaker male.
Maybe it has something to do with you thinking the female has a say one way or another as to who she mates with. A feminist viewpoint if you will. Thats pure fantasy,stop watching Disney movies fer fucks sake!!!

I would disagree with that, I think you are basing your ideas on outdated information.

There have been some interesting studies done on feral dogs for example, dogs living in a landfill in Mexico, where their social structures are studied. It's nothing like what you say.

I wasn't meaning alpha rolling females by males, but males by males. Even in a wolf pack it's rare. If you observe dogs interacting with each other you can see social hierarchies play out with surprisingly little violence. Most of what is "alpha" is Presence. Think about it. Wild animals, especially social predators, can't afford a lot of trivial fights that end up wounding and weakening the pack over all. They employ a lot of other strategies short of fighting to maintain pack structure.

You have no idea how to train an aggressive dog. My next step was to take him out back and put a bullet in his head.
You do it the same way the pack would do it....kinda like muslime terrorist,they only respect authority.
Indeed. There is a big difference between correcting/disciplining a dog and harming/injuring it. And learning to communicate in the language it understands is key to training a large breed, aggressive dog, and ultimately earning its respect as pack leader.
Kind of...the whole alpha thing though is often overrated and a good way to get bitten. Training a large breed is little different than a small breed.

I dont recommend women use alpha training.
The Dog knows the difference between a male and a female.
Point in case....Our rescue hellion never bit me. But he did bite my Wife.

My rescue German Shepherd never bit me...but she bit my husband. It's not about dominance or physical power.

I promise you he wouldnt have bit me.
I have never been bit by a dog...ever. I've confronted all manner of large dogs with mayhem on their mind and not a single one has bitten me.

Well good for you. I've assessed and worked with many dogs (hundreds over my lifetime) and I've been bitten once. I've been bitten by my own dogs breaking up a dog fight. I don't think being an "alpha" has anything to do with that.

Most of my dogs have been adults when I got them, I've had relatively few puppies. The last puppy I had was this boys father and that was 18 years ago (Wyatt, the pup was a product of AI). I've forgotten what adolescence was like - because I swear his dad wasn't this bad! :lol:
I prefer puppies for the "clean slate" appeal. But I've had numerous adult rescue dogs as well. One of my favorites in fact was a "rescue". I saw an add for a free dog in the paper. So I called and the guy had hit the dog with his car, but he was okay just cut up and bruised. So I went and picked him up! Still got him to this day. Ole "Howser" has been one of the best dogs I've ever had. The newbie "Blue" curls right up and sleeps on him.

I prefer puppies for the "clean slate" appeal. But I've had numerous adult rescue dogs as well. One of my favorites in fact was a "rescue". I saw an add for a free dog in the paper. So I called and the guy had hit the dog with his car, but he was okay just cut up and bruised. So I went and picked him up! Still got him to this day. Ole "Howser" has been one of the best dogs I've ever had. The newbie "Blue" curls right up and sleeps on him.

I love them both, but I'll admit - I am getting a real kick out of this pup. He's been so much fun, and he came at a really difficult time for me this summer when Mr. C was in the hospital, so the bond is especially strong. I find the puppy brain fascinating and fun and I love the naughtiness, and he is a cuddler too (even though lately he has been a bit of a butthead ;) )

I love them both, but I'll admit - I am getting a real kick out of this pup. He's been so much fun, and he came at a really difficult time for me this summer when Mr. C was in the hospital, so the bond is especially strong. I find the puppy brain fascinating and fun and I love the naughtiness, and he is a cuddler too (even though lately he has been a bit of a butthead ;) )
Kids...

The worst part of puppy rearing in my opinion... Is the hypersonic yowling that can penetrate anything. When separated from me or the other dogs... That sound can be heard from space! Ahhhh! How do they all know that frequency that's damned near guaranteed to make your ears bleed? Just gotta out last em...

The worst part of puppy rearing in my opinion... Is the hypersonic yowling that can penetrate anything. When separated from me or the other dogs... That sound can be heard from space! Ahhhh! How do they all know that frequency that's damned near guaranteed to make your ears bleed? Just gotta out last em...

:lol: Mine sounds like a calf being slaughtered! Let's just hope PETA doesn't camp out near my house :eek:

:lol: Mine sounds like a calf being slaughtered! Let's just hope PETA doesn't camp out near my house :eek:
No kidding! They sound like they're being run through a wood chipper for christ sake. Can't I use the damned bathroom!?

No kidding! They sound like they're being run through a wood chipper for christ sake. Can't I use the damned bathroom!?

No! Don't you know you can NEVER go anywhere alone again?

You tend to remember the sweet cuddly parts rather than the trials and tribulations.
We hadn't had pups since our late thirties when we got this latest batch. And Holy Hell does it come back real fast what a handful they can be!!!!
We've had the backyard resodded twice already and we've given up till they get a little older. Same goes with the leather furniture,we were prepared to sacrifice it because it was getting old......good thing because it's shredded at this point.

What would you do if you happened upon a man beating the crap out of a dog?

Stop and chat about his "alpha dog philosophy"?

All of this excuse-making for animal abuse is fucked up.

You tend to remember the sweet cuddly parts rather than the trials and tribulations.
We hadn't had pups since our late thirties when we got this latest batch. And Holy Hell does it come back real fast what a handful they can be!!!!
We've had the backyard resodded twice already and we've given up till they get a little older. Same goes with the leather furniture,we were prepared to sacrifice it because it was getting old......good thing because it's shredded at this point.

I'm running out of shoes :lol:

Forum List

Back