‘Not humane’: PETA rips AOC for buying and caging a dog

I've bought purebred Boxers and I've rescued them from Boxer Rescue.
Ironically the Rescue turned out to be the best Boxer we've ever had.
Although he was an SOB at first,bit a few people including my Wife which was the last straw. I beat the crap out of him and after that he figured out who was boss and was the coolest Boxer ever.

He's the one on the left. Cozmo.
View attachment 299501

Nobody here takes issue with this dude beating his dog?

You have no idea how to train an aggressive dog. My next step was to take him out back and put a bullet in his head.
You do it the same way the pack would do it....kinda like muslime terrorist,they only respect authority.
Indeed. There is a big difference between correcting/disciplining a dog and harming/injuring it. And learning to communicate in the language it understands is key to training a large breed, aggressive dog, and ultimately earning its respect as pack leader.
Kind of...the whole alpha thing though is often overrated and a good way to get bitten. Training a large breed is little different than a small breed.

I dont recommend women use alpha training.
The Dog knows the difference between a male and a female.
Point in case....Our rescue hellion never bit me. But he did bite my Wife.

You had a dog that bit people for a year and then you beat his ass and he became a gentle dog?

Bullshit.

I was patient for for over a year and tried every trick I knew to correct his behavior. And as someone whose owned 8 boxers over the years I have a lot of experience dealing with that particular breed and their habits.
Nothing worked. I finally resorted to the alpha male solution which is always the last solution.
Thankfully it worked. The alternative would have been a trip to the back forty and a bullet which thankfully I was able to avoid.

Stop pretending you know jack shit about dogs.

As dogtrainers...we keep a lot of tools in our toolbox and some are indeed last resort. I am not a big proponent of the alpha stuff, but if it worked when nothing else did, the. Maybe it was the right tool. We have to be flexible.

Taking the Alpha role is fine, and sometimes it's necessary with dogs. The physical abuse though is a whole 'nother smoke.
Violence begets violence. It's not necessary to inflict violence to make the Alpha point.

On occasion yes it is.

What you're saying is you're not creative enough.

Alpha is all about Fear. It doesn't take violence to instill fear with a dog. They're smarter than you seem to think.
Wrongo! It's about respect, and trust. Case in point regarding my previous post...

I was patient for for over a year and tried every trick I knew to correct his behavior. And as someone whose owned 8 boxers over the years I have a lot of experience dealing with that particular breed and their habits.
Nothing worked. I finally resorted to the alpha male solution which is always the last solution.
Thankfully it worked. The alternative would have been a trip to the back forty and a bullet which thankfully I was able to avoid.

As dogtrainers...we keep a lot of tools in our toolbox and some are indeed last resort. I am not a big proponent of the alpha stuff, but if it worked when nothing else did, the. Maybe it was the right tool. We have to be flexible.

Taking the Alpha role is fine, and sometimes it's necessary with dogs. The physical abuse though is a whole 'nother smoke.
Violence begets violence. It's not necessary to inflict violence to make the Alpha point.

On occasion yes it is.

Alpha is all about Fear. It doesn't take violence to instill fear with a dog. They're smarter than you seem to think.
Wrongo! It's about respect, and trust. Case in point regarding my previous post...

And who are you again? Didn't even see you here.

"Fear", "Respect", same difference. Pecking order. Who the boss is.

On occasion yes it is.

The guy that's correcting you. That's who.

You had a dog that bit people for a year and then you beat his ass and he became a gentle dog?

Bullshit.

On occasion yes it is.

It's not about fear numbnuts it's about dominance.
If you have a large aggressive dog that thinks he's the boss you're fucked from the get go.
You might as well roll on your back with your feet and arms in the air and show him your vulnerable under belly.

On occasion yes it is.

If you have a large aggressive dog that thinks he's the boss you're fucked from the get go.
You might as well roll on your back with your feet and arms in the air and show him your vulnerable under belly.

Dominance --- yet another synonym. None of which mean "violence".

Let's put it this way --- if you think you're fucked from the get go --- you're right.

./.

Look at the tough guy run his trap. He beats his pets to make them fear him and he thinks it will work on a man too. Silly nutter. Go find a puppy to stare down.

So how do you explain his complete transformation from a biter to a complete sweetheart?
We had had him for over a year before I put my foot down and he bit several people.
I treated him as one of the pack and showed him who was boss,just like in nature.

Just because you have no understanding of the mind of a dog doesnt mean I dont.

Bullshit.

There is a boatload of misconception about "alpha" roles - it became really popular and people like Cesare Millan made it stick but a lot of pack theory is based on really faulty science: the idea that dog packs function like wolf packs.

They really don't. Dogs evolved away from wolves a long time ago - they evolved as scavengers hanging out in the outskirts of human habitations and that required a different more fluid social structure. The other misconception is the idea that wolf pack alpha's are always going beating up subordinates and showing them who's boss. There are relatively few fights for dominance in a wolf pack (which is usually constructed of close family members). The real alpha's just "are"...they don't have to do much, they have presence. It's the INSECURE alpha wannabe's that are always posturing and mounting and starting fights.

In dogs - there is no clear alpha because dog pack dynamics are very fluid. One dog might be alpha when it comes to leading a chase, another might be when it comes to the best spots to sleep in. Dog's evolved to defer to humans as part of their pack order - wolves never did and even when raised by humans as pups still don't see humans as part of their pack structure. It's a key difference between the two.

A lot of alpha theory insists that you need to forceable roll a dog over and pin it to "assert" your dominance (mind you - wolves seldom do this and don't go around rolling their mates at every provocation). This sort of "training" is STILL advocated by some despite the fact it is a damn good way to terrify a dog, get bitten, and destroy trust. Alpha and leadership are not necessarily the same.

Good leadership - consistent fair rules, clear boundaries. There are a lot of ways to attain this that don't involve physical altercation with the dog.

On occasion yes it is.

Yes....exactly right. Bend over to your master the dog.

On occasion yes it is.

Yup. These people who think they know what they're talking about, but actually know Jack shit about dogs; are the ones who end up taking their "problem" dogs to the pound. Or just turn em loose on a country road after they've fucked the dog up...

On occasion yes it is.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I had a large aggressive dog. She was also fearful and reactive and under socialized ( a GSD)....I set rules. Clear consistent and patiently insisted on rules. Canine bootcamp. Everything earned. She was smart, she wanted to learn. She needed boundaries. She also needed confidence, and that was where leadership comes in.

On occasion yes it is.

Let's put it this way --- if you think you're fucked from the get go --- you're right.

Cozmo would have eaten your lunch....if he was still hungry he would have started on you.

On occasion yes it is.

Cozmo would have eaten your lunch....if he was still hungry he would have started on you.

I doubt it, internet tough dog.

./.

So how do you explain his complete transformation from a biter to a complete sweetheart?
We had had him for over a year before I put my foot down and he bit several people.
I treated him as one of the pack and showed him who was boss,just like in nature.

Just because you have no understanding of the mind of a dog doesnt mean I dont.

Bullshit.

There is a boatload of misconception about "alpha" roles - it became really popular and people like Cesare Millan made it stick but a lot of pack theory is based on really faulty science: the idea that dog packs function like wolf packs.

They really don't. Dogs evolved away from wolves a long time ago - they evolved as scavengers hanging out in the outskirts of human habitations and that required a different more fluid social structure. The other misconception is the idea that wolf pack alpha's are always going beating up subordinates and showing them who's boss. There are relatively few fights for dominance in a wolf pack (which is usually constructed of close family members). The real alpha's just "are"...they don't have to do much, they have presence. It's the INSECURE alpha wannabe's that are always posturing and mounting and starting fights.

In dogs - there is no clear alpha because dog pack dynamics are very fluid. One dog might be alpha when it comes to leading a chase, another might be when it comes to the best spots to sleep in. Dog's evolved to defer to humans as part of their pack order - wolves never did and even when raised by humans as pups still don't see humans as part of their pack structure. It's a key difference between the two.

A lot of alpha theory insists that you need to forceable roll a dog over and pin it to "assert" your dominance (mind you - wolves seldom do this and don't go around rolling their mates at every provocation). This sort of "training" is STILL advocated by some despite the fact it is a damn good way to terrify a dog, get bitten, and destroy trust. Alpha and leadership are not necessarily the same.

Good leadership - consistent fair rules, clear boundaries. There are a lot of ways to attain this that don't involve physical altercation with the dog.

Couldnt disagree more.

On occasion yes it is.

Yup. These people who think they know what they're talking about, but actually know Jack shit about dogs; are the ones who end up taking their "problem" dogs to the pound. Or just turn em loose on a country road after they've fucked the dog up...

Actually....I've had fucked up dogs come my way who's owners had attempted the Cesare Milan method of dominance on them. And they resorted to biting as opposed to growling (a warning).

Most of the dogs we get from the shelter are given up as adolescents (8 most - 2 yrs) when they are at their most assholistic and people can't deal with it, they aren't a cute puppy anymore, their drives are coming into play and they are jerks. :dunno: I love them though :)

./.

Bullshit.

Couldnt disagree more.

Why?

On occasion yes it is.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I had a large aggressive dog. She was also fearful and reactive and under socialized ( a GSD)....I set rules. Clear consistent and patiently insisted on rules. Canine bootcamp. Everything earned. She was smart, she wanted to learn. She needed boundaries. She also needed confidence, and that was where leadership comes in.

GSD? What mumbo jumbo is this?

On occasion yes it is.

GSD? What mumbo jumbo is this?
Sorry - German Shepherd Dog, shorter then spelling out.

On occasion yes it is.

Actually....I've had fucked up dogs come my way who's owners had attempted the Cesare Milan method of dominance on them. And they resorted to biting as opposed to growling (a warning).

Most of the dogs we get from the shelter are given up as adolescents (8 most - 2 yrs) when they are at their most assholistic and people can't deal with it, they aren't a cute puppy anymore, their drives are coming into play and they are jerks. :dunno: I love them though :)

Which is the time frame I picked up Cozmo. He was abused not just dumped at the pound because he was to rambunctious.

I've bought purebred Boxers and I've rescued them from Boxer Rescue.
Ironically the Rescue turned out to be the best Boxer we've ever had.
Although he was an SOB at first,bit a few people including my Wife which was the last straw. I beat the crap out of him and after that he figured out who was boss and was the coolest Boxer ever.

He's the one on the left. Cozmo.
View attachment 299501

Nobody here takes issue with this dude beating his dog?

You have no idea how to train an aggressive dog. My next step was to take him out back and put a bullet in his head.
You do it the same way the pack would do it....kinda like muslime terrorist,they only respect authority.
Indeed. There is a big difference between correcting/disciplining a dog and harming/injuring it. And learning to communicate in the language it understands is key to training a large breed, aggressive dog, and ultimately earning its respect as pack leader.
Kind of...the whole alpha thing though is often overrated and a good way to get bitten. Training a large breed is little different than a small breed.

I dont recommend women use alpha training.
The Dog knows the difference between a male and a female.
Point in case....Our rescue hellion never bit me. But he did bite my Wife.

My rescue German Shepherd never bit me...but she bit my husband. It's not about dominance or physical power.

On occasion yes it is.

Caesar Milan is a shill. I'm quite surprised you even invoked that clown. Being the alpha of the pack involves a whole lot more than physically correcting a dog. It's hardly a fraction of everything involved. Getting physical is only necessary as a last resort, in response to unacceptable behavior. Most often it isn't even needed.

Forum List

Back