Now that Heroin is hitting the white community hard Parents urge softer approach

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/31/us/heroin-war-on-drugs-parents.html?src=me&_r=0

When the nation’s long-running war against drugs was defined by the crack epidemic and based in poor, predominantly black urban areas, the public response was defined by zero tolerance and stiff prison sentences. But today’s heroin crisis is different. While heroin use has climbed among all demographic groups, it has skyrocketed among whites; nearly 90 percent of those who tried heroin for the first time in the last decade were white.

Snip

And the growing army of families of those lost to heroin — many of them in the suburbs and small towns — are now using their influence, anger and grief to cushion the country’s approach to drugs, from altering the language around addiction to prodding government to treat it not as a crime, but as a disease.

Snip

And in one of the most striking shifts in this new era, some local police departments have stopped punishing many heroin users. In Gloucester, Mass., those who walk into the police station and ask for help, even if they are carrying drugs or needles, are no longer arrested. Instead, they are diverted to treatment, despite questions about the police departments’ unilateral authority to do so. It is an approach being replicated by three dozen other police departments around the country.

So now even the Republicans are telling their stories of how they failed as parents..oops..I mean how they understand the need for treatment now that their kids are effected. Weird huh? Let's take another snip to drive home that point..

Some black scholars said they welcomed the shift, while expressing frustration that earlier calls by African-Americans for a more empathetic approach were largely ignored.

“This new turn to a more compassionate view of those addicted to heroin is welcome,” said Kimberlé Williams Crenshaw, who specializes in racial issues at Columbia and U.C.L.A. law schools. “But,” she added, “one cannot help notice that had this compassion existed for African-Americans caught up in addiction and the behaviors it produces, the devastating impact of mass incarceration upon entire communities would never have happened.”

So here is another situation where when it affects whites all of a sudden locking them all up is harsh. Yanno, because they are good white people. I'll bet money that this new lenient policy will be applied to all.

Just kidding, they'll do the selective enforcement thing all over again.

Mod Edit to include link and emphasize the copyright material...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know its not well known because its not cool to keep it in the news but whites have long had a drug problem. They do more drugs than anyone and at a higher rate for you statistics guys. Oh I forgot. Somehow Blacks get arrested for it way more often though.

White America Does The Crime, Black America Gets The Time
It is the same with the white on white crime thread...numerous pages of deflection and denial.
Prepare for the same here.

The black community had been talking about these punishing drug laws for decades now. But just like everything else, people don't have sympathy until it affects THEM personally.

NOW, even the Republicans are getting in on the act. NOW it's not the fault of bad parenting. NOW it's something else...that oh so familiar excuse whites use for only their problems. That excuse being Mental Health!!! Ah yes, the old switcheroo

You guys can move back to Africa if you hate America so much.

Of course you won't. You'd rather whine like little bitches about how mistreated you are by whites.

When the nation’s long-running war against drugs was defined by the crack epidemic and based in poor, predominantly black urban areas, the public response was defined by zero tolerance and stiff prison sentences. But today’s heroin crisis is different. While heroin use has climbed among all demographic groups, it has skyrocketed among whites; nearly 90 percent of those who tried heroin for the first time in the last decade were white.

Snip

And the growing army of families of those lost to heroin — many of them in the suburbs and small towns — are now using their influence, anger and grief to cushion the country’s approach to drugs, from altering the language around addiction to prodding government to treat it not as a crime, but as a disease.

Snip

And in one of the most striking shifts in this new era, some local police departments have stopped punishing many heroin users. In Gloucester, Mass., those who walk into the police station and ask for help, even if they are carrying drugs or needles, are no longer arrested. Instead, they are diverted to treatment, despite questions about the police departments’ unilateral authority to do so. It is an approach being replicated by three dozen other police departments around the country.

So now even the Republicans are telling their stories of how they failed as parents..oops..I mean how they understand the need for treatment now that their kids are effected. Weird huh? Let's take another snip to drive home that point..

Some black scholars said they welcomed the shift, while expressing frustration that earlier calls by African-Americans for a more empathetic approach were largely ignored.

“This new turn to a more compassionate view of those addicted to heroin is welcome,” said Kimberlé Williams Crenshaw, who specializes in racial issues at Columbia and U.C.L.A. law schools. “But,” she added, “one cannot help notice that had this compassion existed for African-Americans caught up in addiction and the behaviors it produces, the devastating impact of mass incarceration upon entire communities would never have happened.”

So here is another situation where when it affects whites all of a sudden locking them all up is harsh. Yanno, because they are good white people. I'll bet money that this new lenient policy will be applied to all.

Do you have a link for this?

You make some decent points and I have always agreed with drug reform...especially legalizing weed.

However....there's a bit of a detail you leave out.

The crack epedimic led to mass violence. Murders and gang shootouts. Putting dealers and users behind bars tied directly to fewer shootings and murders.

So far...the heroine epedimic has NOT resulted in gang warfare in white suburbs.

In fairness...I'm NOT saying there isn't a discussion here. Even white rapper Eminem sang about how when Columbine hit whites were shocked....yet....never cared about mass black shootings (lyric "Now it's a tragedy, Now it's so sad to see", song is "I Am" I think)

But....gang warfare and the shocking death toll of it drove the drug crackdown. Not the joy of jailing addicts.

Of course you won't. You'd rather whine like little bitches about how mistreated you are by whites.

Heroin usage isn't about loving American. If so, go grab some smack and OD like a patriot dumbass

Snip

Snip

Do you have a link for this?

Yeah, I hope this works I'm on my phone. It's the NY Times.
this HTML class. Value is http://mobile.nytime

You make some decent points and I have always agreed with

Before you say anything else...Go correct your lying threads dude.

What lie?

You get notifications. You've been told where and when you lied and you still havent corrected it. In fact, you continue to lie about lying and lie sommore. So what you say can't be taken seriously when you knowingly and repeatedly keep lying.

Snip

Yep, that's the way to handle heroin addiction, refuse to put responsibility back on the user and instead of acknowledging they made a bad choice reduce it to something out of their control by calling it a "disease". Fuck that! NOT a solution. Call it an addiction, call it abusing heroin, call it whatever, but make it known they CHOSE this in their life. Drugs are always a choice, never forget that. If you play with fire you WILL eventually get burned. There are consequences.

Now that Heroin is hitting the white community hard Parents urge softer approach

Whitey doesn't like to see their kids go to jail, that's for the darkies...

Now it's bleeding heart time. But only for some, not others

Heroin usage isn't about loving American. If so, go grab some smack and OD like a patriot dumbass

The thread isn't about heroin, it's about negroes hating America because they go to prison for Breaking laws.

The thread isn't about heroin, it's about negroes hating America because they go to prison for Breaking laws.

Sorry, but it's not and the people that want drug addicts to get off free clearly shows white people want it and are lobbing for it because now it affects them and they want special treatment. You should read the article and get off my big black dick

I know its not well known because its not cool to keep it in the news but whites have long had a drug problem. They do more drugs than anyone and at a higher rate for you statistics guys. Oh I forgot. Somehow Blacks get arrested for it way more often though.

White America Does The Crime, Black America Gets The Time

The running joke at the local jail down here in South Carolina is Blacks are in jail for dealing, Whites are in Jail for failure to pay child support.

The biggest problems for blacks in the cities are, poor no car of course they will get stopped compared to anyone living in the burbs.

Forum List

Back