Nuclear meltdown in Japan reactor?

The anti nuke crowd has been praying for this. Folks, take a deep breath. The world is not coming to an end. The media is being totally irresponsible in their coverage. Even in the worst case the amount of fallout that might leave the general area of the plants isn't going to be dangerous. As far as the fallout threatening the U.S. or the rest of the world, that's Pure B.S.

Americans would be better served to worry about the horrible debt that the current administration has piled up in just two years. That's going to effect your life more than any fallout from Japan
I have a spare ticket to Tokyo...maybe you want to go over there.

Panic much? At least you're remaining rational
I don't do panic.
When I hear a train coming, financial or other, I calmly collect my things and move away from the tracks. :eusa_shhh:
This isn't "Stand By Me" you know. No train is heard, seen, smelled or even operating on this track. Your imagination's running away from you.

Next thing you're going to be doing is scaring the baby seals outside your window by running around your igloo screaming "Its gonna go through the ground like a great big glowing gopher!!!!"

Take a breath, hump a seal and possibly log off till your next life. The world's too big and scary for you.
:tongue::tongue::tongue:
Me skareded and paranoid :eek:
This statement coming from a real murkin, apparently living in Minneapolish, likely in a house that's only worth 1/2 of what it was 6-8 years ago and conducting transactions in US dollars and likely never having the ability to retire due to not being wise enough to be able to be "scared". Lotsa Jews and Ukrainians and others perished for the same reason.
It's almost sunup. Go raise your flag so you feel safe.

I'm already in my next life.
You are on your death bed. Radiation or not.

Radiation Levels Near Fukushima Plant Extremely High
A Japanese news agency has reported that radiation more than six-thousand times the standard level has been detected within the 20-to-30-kilometer radius of the Fukushima Number One nuclear power plant. It is the area where residents are required to take shelter indoors.
KBS WORLD

The anti nuke crowd has been praying for this. Folks, take a deep breath. The world is not coming to an end. The media is being totally irresponsible in their coverage. Even in the worst case the amount of fallout that might leave the general area of the plants isn't going to be dangerous. As far as the fallout threatening the U.S. or the rest of the world, that's Pure B.S.

Americans would be better served to worry about the horrible debt that the current administration has piled up in just two years. That's going to effect your life more than any fallout from Japan

No sane person every wished for anything like this. You are lying scum

I have to believe if they are abandoning the plant, with active fires, it is over. They know they can't stop it.

And Zander is right....little to no chance of any impact on US from fallout, and any impact would be negligible.

That is what most are saying. Still, we get significant amounts of mercury from the burning of coal in China.

And while there may be little impact from the radiation, there will be significant economic impact.

Radiation Levels Near Fukushima Plant Extremely High
A Japanese news agency has reported that radiation more than six-thousand times the standard level has been detected within the 20-to-30-kilometer radius of the Fukushima Number One nuclear power plant. It is the area where residents are required to take shelter indoors.
KBS WORLD

Worth repeating. This is a very serious situation, getting worse by the hour. With a very high percentage of the infrastructure destroyed, or unable to run due to loss of power, the Japanese are in an incredibly vulnable situation.

KBS WORLD

Kyodo News Agency cited the Japanese Science Ministry’s monitoring of radiation levels 21-kilometers from the Fukushima power plant on Tuesday and Wednesday. The radiation level of 330 microsieverts per hour was detected, which is some 66-hundred times the standard level.

The ministry’s survey was conducted using two gauges in three locations while riding motor vehicles. Levels inside the vehicles were slightly lower than those outside.

A ministry official said that radiation levels generally drop as recorded measurements are further removed from the source, but this investigation was an exception to the rule of distance and radiation levels due to the wind currents.

I don't understand something, and maybe someone could explain it.

They were going to use helicopters to drop water but didn't because the radiation readings were too high.

Shouldn't they do it anyway? This is Japan's military, from what I understand...isn't it their duty to risk themselves to save their country?

Here are some Live Real Time Links to Geiger-Counter Nuclear Radiation Monitors in Japan

Tokyo, Japan Live Geiger-Counter Link

Chiba, Japan Live Geiger-Counter Link

Here are the levels for Radiation poisoning chart

1 mSv = 100 mrem = 0.1 rem so this would be normal radiation levels.
1 rad = 0.01 gray (Gy); 1 Gy = 100 rad;
1 rem = 0.01 Sievert (Sv); 1Sv = 100 rem
1 rad= 1 rem; 1 Gv = 1 Sv

There are rolling black-outs in Japan so these links go down periodically.

Yesterday the Chiba Geiger-Counter was up to 1.8 - I think 3 or less is good.

Please Post other live Geiger Geiger-Counter links if you have them.

Last edited:
heh. actually that phrase is so old it always makes me smile. conjures images of brain-fried hippies with VWs and rubber hippie daisies (the daisies were 100% dependent on psychedlic drugs ruining their owners sense of taste) not withstanding all that they were right about nuclear power. use MHD.
free electricity! SAVE MONEY! Cosmic Electrodynamics

i think from what i have read it was deemed to be pointless. not enough water. not enough time. reactor already to destabilized. remeber the core is exposed and the fuel rods are in contact with the atmosphere. they are military but like in the states the military works on "resources where resources are effective" throwing away soldiers lives for five minutes of delay for the inevitable is not pragmatic. they will be needed for the evacuation. yes i know it's not warm and fuzzy thinking but it is the effective way. that is the military thought proccess

They were going to use helicopters to drop water but didn't because the radiation readings were too high.

Shouldn't they do it anyway? This is Japan's military, from what I understand...isn't it their duty to risk themselves to save their country?

Now they are going to try a water cannon instead...

Japan has asked its national police agency to send a water cannon to the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant after the military was forced to abandon an attempt to drop water from helicopters due to radiation fears.
Japan eyes water cannon to cool troubled reactor - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Japan's military abandoned a mission to use a helicopter to drop water into the overheating No.3 reactor because of radiation fears.

r735440_5967689.jpg

I don't do panic.
When I hear a train coming, financial or other, I calmly collect my things and move away from the tracks. :eusa_shhh:
This isn't "Stand By Me" you know. No train is heard, seen, smelled or even operating on this track. Your imagination's running away from you.

Next thing you're going to be doing is scaring the baby seals outside your window by running around your igloo screaming "Its gonna go through the ground like a great big glowing gopher!!!!"

Take a breath, hump a seal and possibly log off till your next life. The world's too big and scary for you.
:tongue::tongue::tongue:
Me skareded and paranoid :eek:
This statement coming from a real murkin, apparently living in Minneapolish, likely in a house that's only worth 1/2 of what it was 6-8 years ago and conducting transactions in US dollars and likely never having the ability to retire due to not being wise enough to be able to be "scared". Lotsa Jews and Ukrainians and others perished for the same reason.
It's almost sunup. Go raise your flag so you feel safe.

I'm already in my next life.
You are on your death bed. Radiation or not.
Wow... you are a fucking lunatic. I'm done dignifying you with the illusion you're a sane sentient individual.

Japan has asked its national police agency to send a water cannon to the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant after the military was forced to abandon an attempt to drop water from helicopters due to radiation fears.
Japan eyes water cannon to cool troubled reactor - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Japan's military abandoned a mission to use a helicopter to drop water into the overheating No.3 reactor because of radiation fears.

r735440_5967689.jpg
But if they think it would work, shouldn't they do it anyway?

r735440_5967689.jpg
But if they think it would work, shouldn't they do it anyway?

I understand what you're saying, so I'm just guessing it was a simple risk/reward assessment based on the info they had and they just opted for one approach over another...

I dunno whether anybody noticed it but the reports are saying a likely breach in containment in reactor #3, that's the plutonium reactor. Much more serious fallout issues, half lives of 100s of 1000s of years.

Also the fact that they are suggesting using water cannons to cool the plants may mean that the plant itself is becoming to toxic to allow personnel onsite.

If all they have left is spraying water on the reactors to cool them then it may be time for prayer and evacuation.

I dunno how advanced the alleged evac of Tokyo is but other nations are scrambling to provide airliners to ferry millions of foreign nationals out of Japan. I read that parts of Tokyo look like a ghost town. Everybody is indoors or leaving.

Of course the media I rely on for current info and data seems to be spiraling out of control.

I dunno whether anybody noticed it but the reports are saying a likely breach in containment in reactor #3, that's the plutonium reactor. Much more serious fallout issues, half lives of 100s of 1000s of years.

Also the fact that they are suggesting using water cannons to cool the plants may mean that the plant itself is becoming to toxic to allow personnel onsite.

If all they have left is spraying water on the reactors to cool them then it may be time for prayer and evacuation.

I dunno how advanced the alleged evac of Tokyo is but other nations are scrambling to provide airliners to ferry millions of foreign nationals out of Japan. I read that parts of Tokyo look like a ghost town. Everybody is indoors or leaving.

Of course the media I rely on for current info and data seems to be spiraling out of control.

Evacuating tokyo? What news source is giving you that information?

it's a spontaneous evacuation, mostly foreigners but Japanese families as well. Probably a precautionary evacuation. Would you stay in Tokyo with your kids?

it's a spontaneous evacuation, mostly foreigners but Japanese families as well. Probably a precautionary evacuation. Would you stay in Tokyo with your kids?

As opposed to trying to navigate a surrounding countryside that has been ass-slapped by a 9.0 earthquake and a Tsunami? Probably yes.

Again, what are your sources for this?

Tokyo & Chiba Japan radiation levels are declining.

Amateur Radiation Detection & Experimentation: Radioactive Dust
Did you know that the dust that's in the air and settling all over your house (and computer monitor) is radioactive? It's true, it contains radioactive decay products from naturally occuring Uranium and Thorium.

As an experiment, I wiped some dust from the TV screen onto a tissue, and placed it in front of the radiation detector. The reading went from a background reading around 10 CPM to around 1300 CPM, or 130 times the reading!

I was doing laundry one day, and decided to check out the lint that collects in the lint filter in the clothes dryer. It produced counts around 240 CPM, again much higher than the background readings. This is probably due to the numerous uranium/thorium atoms and daughter products that are floating in the air, which get stuck to your clothes, and are sucked into the dryer.

When you fly in an airplane, you're up above much of the Earth's atmosphere. It's the air that protects us from a lot of radiation due to cosmic rays coming from outer space. Recently I took a transcontinental flight, and of course a GM-10 Radiation Detector came along for the ride! The CPM (Counts Per Minute) went from about 12 on the ground to 360 in flight.

Tokyo, Japan Live Geiger-Counter Link

Chiba, Japan Live Geiger-Counter Link

Tokyo = 13.83cpm
Chiba = 0.18 I think it is reading in SV so it = 18.00cpm
These readings mean the radiation is barely above normal everyday background radiation.

Stress from people thinking they were exposed to radiation has killed more people than actual radiation ever has.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back