Number of guns in society falling sharply

Missourian -

That is undoubtedly true in some cases, but given the NY Times survey finds the number of households owning guns has dropped from 50% to 35%, there is more going on than people being reticent to answer. Certainly there are plenty of people out there buying more weapons, but clearly there are also many others losing interest in owning guns for whatever reason.

This represents a clear shift across the country and culture, I would have thought.

I disagree...I believe there are other factors at work here.

Look at the graph...the major decline begins in 1994.

1994 as in the assault weapons ban of 1994 and the demonization of guns and gun owners.

And this close on the heels of the Ruby Ridge and Waco ATF debacles.

We saw the staggering repercussions of this legislation in the next election cycle...is it any surprise it had enormous ramifications elsewhere?

Add in the explosion of the internet, sharing of news, opinions, and ideas instantaneously.

And with the internet, first came the widespread dissemination of scams and scammers along with their modus operandi. Later came the realization that with new super computers, that people, the government, corporations and criminals had the ability to keep track of information individuals innocently provided.

Today, savvy citizens are much more guarded with their personal information.

In conclusion, IMO, these variables contribute significantly to the reduced REPORTING of gun ownership per household. It is easily the case that the majority of gun owners questioned, for the reasons stated above, chose to dissemble.

Those are interesting thoughts, Missourian,and I thank you for them, but if someone phoned me and asked if I was willing to take part in a gun survey - I could just say 'no thanks'.

The people incudled in this poll CHOSE to take part in it.

I think you are right about the 1994 law change, though.

I'm not sure that that can be assumed, as a 2nd Amendment supporter would likely wish to take part in a "gun survey" as a means of representing their position...but at the same time feel some reticence in responding to a question pertaining to their personal firearm ownership.

Last edited:
Katz -

You do find these things difficult, don't you?!

1) The number of households owning guns is dropping. This we know.

2) The number of guns owned by each gun owner is likely increasing. This is my assumption.

3) There may be a current peak in purchases, but that has not yet shown in research.

I hope that makes sense for you.

:clap2: LOL

The evidence is against you.

1994 as in the assault weapons ban of 1994 and the demonization of guns and gun owners.

We saw the staggering repercussions of this legislation in the next election cycle...is it any surprise it had enormous ramifications elsewhere?

Add in the explosion of the internet, sharing of news, opinions, and ideas instantaneously.

And with the internet, first came the widespread dissemination of scams and scammers along with their modus operandi. Later came the realization that with new super computers, that people, the government, corporations and criminals had the ability to keep track of information individuals innocently provided.

In conclusion, IMO, these variables contribute significantly to the reduced REPORTING of gun ownership per household. It is easily the case that the majority of gun owners questioned, for the reasons stated above, chose to dissemble.

Those are interesting thoughts, Missourian,and I thank you for them, but if someone phoned me and asked if I was willing to take part in a gun survey - I could just say 'no thanks'.

I'm not sure that that can be assumed, as a 2nd Amendment supporter would likely wish to take part in a "gun survey" as a means of representing their position...but at the same time feel some reticence in responding to a question pertaining to their personal firearm ownership.

This is how ridiculous it is. According to the article, the drop occurred most significantly in mountain and rural regions. Areas that are home to wolves, bears and mountain lions gave up their guns because liberals said to.

This is pure and unadulterated propaganda.

Exactly! I'd be completely comfortable discussing 2nd Amendment rights and answering hypotheticals, but when it comes down to being asked how many weapons I own by an anonymous voice on a telephone, nope sorry. I believe that my right to keep and bear arms should not be infringed and if someone knows I own weapons, the government can use that information to curtail my rights.

This is how ridiculous it is. According to the article, the drop occurred most significantly in mountain and rural regions. Areas that are home to wolves, bears and mountain lions gave up their guns because liberals said to.

The reason the drop occurred there is not that people gave up guns, but simply that the number of families living there has not increased at anywhere near the rate of urban areas.

Can it be that the fascination with guns is slowly coming to an end?

And can it be that the reason the US homicide rate is falling is because the number of households owning guns is falling?

It seems so, according to both the NY Times and LA Times, Gallup and the General Social Survey:

The share of American households with guns has declined over the past four decades, a national survey shows, with some of the most surprising drops in the South and the Western mountain states, where guns are deeply embedded in the culture.

The household gun ownership rate has fallen from an average of 50 percent in the 1970s to 49 percent in the 1980s, 43 percent in the 1990s and 35 percent in the 2000s, according to the survey data, analyzed by The New York Times.

20guns-webgraphic-articleInline.gif

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us/rate-of-gun-ownership-is-down-survey-shows.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

DD0wx.jpg

The major point is that the American “culture of gun ownership” that one often hears about has been strikingly on the wane for the past generation. A similar decline has taken place in the number of Americans who hunt, now about 5% of the population.

Crime is down -- and so is gun ownership - Los Angeles Times

So if homicide rates have fallen, why do we need more gun laws? Theives and murderers will only thrive more if we disarm the population.

The reason the drop occurred there is not that people gave up guns, but simply that the number of families living there has not increased at anywhere near the rate of urban areas.

No drop occurred anywhere. There's a report that says there was a drop but no drop. This repeats the scarecrow getting a brain. He was never any more intelligent than he ever was, he just had a report that said he was.

And can it be that the reason the US homicide rate is falling is because the number of households owning guns is falling?

It seems so, according to both the NY Times and LA Times, Gallup and the General Social Survey:

The share of American households with guns has declined over the past four decades, a national survey shows, with some of the most surprising drops in the South and the Western mountain states, where guns are deeply embedded in the culture.

The household gun ownership rate has fallen from an average of 50 percent in the 1970s to 49 percent in the 1980s, 43 percent in the 1990s and 35 percent in the 2000s, according to the survey data, analyzed by The New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us/rate-of-gun-ownership-is-down-survey-shows.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

DD0wx.jpg

The major point is that the American “culture of gun ownership” that one often hears about has been strikingly on the wane for the past generation. A similar decline has taken place in the number of Americans who hunt, now about 5% of the population.

more like people like me will tell anyone asking if I own a gun to go fuck themselves. Its none of your business. Funny how they claim this while you cannot find a single round of 9mm without paying 3 bucks each. Or me waiting 6 months of back ordered ar15 for my to come in. Or gun racks across the country empty.:eusa_whistle:

DD0wx.jpg

more like people like me will tell anyone asking if I own a gun to go fuck themselves. Its none of your business. Funny how they claim this while you cannot find a single round of 9mm without paying 3 bucks each. Or me waiting 6 months of back ordered ar15 for my to come in. Or gun racks across the country empty.:eusa_whistle:

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/...ortage-persists-some-Va-stores?nclick_check=1

Missourian -

That is undoubtedly true in some cases, but given the NY Times survey finds the number of households owning guns has dropped from 50% to 35%, there is more going on than people being reticent to answer. Certainly there are plenty of people out there buying more weapons, but clearly there are also many others losing interest in owning guns for whatever reason.

This represents a clear shift across the country and culture, I would have thought.

The only rational measure is new gun sales - which are SHARPLY up.

{Washington (CNN) -- FBI background checks on gun sales have now topped two million in each of the past four months, according to the latest figures made available on Monday.

Although the law enforcement agency does not offer public analysis of its figures, the high check rate occurs amid debate in Washington over new gun control measures mainly in response to December's school shooting in Connecticut.

The agency performed more than 2.3 million checks in February using the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

'Universal background check:' What does it mean?

The numbers do not reveal how many guns were purchased because some buyers could have bought more than one.

The monthly record of 2.7 million occurred in December. January was the second-highest month at 2.4 million. Prior to November, the number of monthly FBI background checks had never exceeded 1.8 million.}

Gun checks top two million for fourth-straight month - CNN.com

Missourian -
The only rational measure is new gun sales - which are SHARPLY up.
Indeed - there has been NOTHING posted here to substantiate the claim that the number of guns has declined.

Forum List

Back