Nurse arrested for following hospital policy

A nurse in Utah was arrested because she would not take blood from an unconscious patient. Apparently the hospital policy only allows drawing of blood from unconscious patients if they have given consent, if the police have a warrant, or if the patient is under arrest. The body cam video of the incident seems to show the officer involved arresting the woman out of anger and frustration, rather than because she had violated any law.

The nurse was not charged. The officer was taken off of blood draw duty. Based just on the video (and obviously, there may be important information we don't get from this video) I would think the officer needs some sort of discipline. It appears to me to be an abuse of authority.

Nurse arrested for refusing to draw blood from unconscious patient
There've been a few threads on this, so I've been thinking about it.
The cop lost it. That's pretty clear. I'm not sure discipline is the most important thing here, though. He might need a vacation.
Anyone with a job that gets scary can attest to the fact that you deny it, to yourself and to everyone else. But the tension is still there. The shit you put up with and remain calm, cool and professional regardless. The fact that you might get shot every time a door opens on a call. Or you pull over a speeder. Or sit down for a cup of coffee. And then there's the really sad stuff. Dead kids in car accidents. The neighbor's kid is a fatal OD. A DV incident where someone dies before you can get there.
And you pretend you're strong and you can take it. Your body might tell you different--your mouth might go dry and your hand might shake just a bit, but you never let it show. Doesn't mean it isn't there. All of it.
Cops will tell you to go to hell and get out of their business for saying this, but maybe what this cop needs is a BREAK. Pressure can only build so long.

Maybe he does need a break, but as a trained professional, he needs to stuff that shit down and not take it out on innocent people.

He deserves a consequence for this behavior.

OgL0Luy.jpg

And I assume nothing about the chase. The simple reality is they limit their liability if they find drugs in the blood. That's why they were hellbent on getting it.

This isn't mob justice either, asshole. Cops that don't follow the law should be replaced.

You're assuming the cops acted negligently in the car chase. You're assuming that man you call your dad is really your dad.

The only reason this cop, who was following instructions from his superior, might be fired is to appease you fools in the mob who emotionally an brainlessly react to a video of the woman being arrested and dragged out.
Wrong, the main reason this cop might (and probably) will be fired is he committed the sin of loosing his temper and overreacting in this situation. The nurse had a copy of the agreed upon hospital policy in her hand which the officer completely discounted/ignored, all the officer had to do was go into the room and put the patient under arrest....... problem solved.

And I assume nothing about the chase. The simple reality is they limit their liability if they find drugs in the blood. That's why they were hellbent on getting it.

This isn't mob justice either, asshole. Cops that don't follow the law should be replaced.

You're assuming the cops acted negligently in the car chase. You're assuming that man you call your dad is really your dad.

The only reason this cop, who was following instructions from his superior, might be fired is to appease you fools in the mob who emotionally an brainlessly react to a video of the woman being arrested and dragged out.
Wrong, the main reason this cop might (and probably) will be fired is he committed the sin of loosing his temper and overreacting in this situation. The nurse had a copy of the agreed upon hospital policy in her hand which the officer completely discounted/ignored, all the officer had to do was go into the room and put the patient under arrest....... problem solved.

They discussed in the longer video, there was no probable cause for an arrest or a warrant. Which is why the officer's reaction was so awful.

The Cop is just roughing up citizens as Trump told them to. Trump would pardon the cop if he is convicted & she was brown.

trump said it was ok to not protect her head as she's shoved in the police car....no big deal if she hit her head on the roof.

She is lucky to be alive. That's the attitude that causes rough riding cuffed citizens in the back of police vans. then they arrive DOA from broken neck.

Last edited:

They discussed in the longer video, there was no probable cause for an arrest or a warrant. Which is why the officer's reaction was so awful.
I didn't see the longer video.

It also showed, once the nurse was in the police car, handcuffed, another officer came over and tried to be "good cop." He told her that she was uncooperative, she just kept saying "no no no," and that she should have let the guy take the patient's blood because if it was unlawful, it would just get thrown out later. I think that cop was just as big of a jerk as the arresting officer, but he spoke more softly.

Okay, so this corruption is institutional. The cops were only there trying to bully the nurse because they knew that the guy was not a suspect in a crime and that they could not get a warrant for his blood. They were hoping to find drugs in his system that would limit their liability and they were dispatched there to bully whomever needed to be bullied. And this happened on July 26th. The Payne guy seemingly went right back to active duty and was only put on paid leave after the video went public. So this "internal investigation" stuff is bunk. The police chief should be fired. The watch commander that authorized the illegal arrest should be fired and charged for criminal malfeasance. Mr. Payne should be fired and charged for assault. Any officers there should be suspended and possibly fired or charged as well for basically being accessories.

You are absolutely correct as to why they were so desperate to pin the accident they caused on the truck driver. They should all also lose their pension & healthcare!

Last edited:

It also showed, once the nurse was in the police car, handcuffed, another officer came over and tried to be "good cop." He told her that she was uncooperative, she just kept saying "no no no," and that she should have let the guy take the patient's blood because if it was unlawful, it would just get thrown out later. I think that cop was just as big of a jerk as the arresting officer, but he spoke more softly.
Remember folks....trump said it was ok to not protect her head as she's shoved in the police car....no big deal if she hit her head on the roof.....remember?

Remember folks....trump said it was ok to not protect her head as she's shoved in the police car....no big deal if she hit her head on the roof.....remember?

You clowns get more deranged each day.

Remember, someone on either side always has to make a non-political incident political in an attempt to score cheap political points................ :eusa_whistle:

He won't be fired. The union will protect him, the boys in blue will line up for him, and this woman will never trust the police again, for good reason.

The only hope for "justice" would be a civil suit.

This type of thing is not a rare occurrence, it's systemic.
Is Utah a right to work state? Is there even a police union there?

Remember, someone on either side always has to make a non-political incident political in an attempt to score cheap political points................ :eusa_whistle:
What is a "cheap political point" about something that was ACTUALLY SAID to cops?

The cop wanted a drug test from someone left in a coma after a collision. The evidence would disappear before a warrant can be obtained.

The nurse should have obeyed to cop. If the "search" was illegal, let a judge decide that later. You don't get to disobey police because of your policy. You don't get to disobey a cop because you think he's making a mistake.
Wrong answer.

What is a "cheap political point" about something that was ACTUALLY SAID to cops?
No and you know better.

She is lucky to be alive. That's the attitude that causes rough riding cuffed citizens in the back of police vans. Then they arrive DOA from broken neck.

She is lucky to be alive. That's the attitude that causes rough riding cuffed citizens in the back of police vans. then they arrive DOA from broken neck.
Never give yourself an enema, it'd be considered suicide............

Forum List

Back