NY Gay Marriage Baggage

The real issue of same-sex marriage is legal recognition. Marriage is a right defined by state law. Texas, for example, recently passed a constitutional amendment defining marriage, which provides in pertinent part: “Sec. 32. (a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman. (b ) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.” The recent constitutional challenges over recognition of same-sex marriage have been under the “Full Faith and Credit Clause” (Const., Art. IV, Sec. 1); e.g., a gay couple married in Massachusetts (and now New York) moves to a state like Texas. Many provisions of federal law incorporate state marriage laws for determining individual rights and benefits, and the issue raised is whether one state’s law defining marriage must be given extraterritorial effect. In this regard, Congress has enacted the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which is a federal law that has to do with the applicability of the "Full Faith and Credit Clause" of the Constitution to state marriage laws. The act provides: "No State, territory, or possession of the United States, or Indian tribe, shall be required to give effect to any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other State, territory, possession, or tribe respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex that is treated as a marriage under the laws of such other State, territory, possession, or tribe, or a right or claim arising from such relationship." 28 U.S.C. § 1738c. Thus, in order for laws providing for same-sex marriage to be given extraterritorial effect, DOMA would have to be repealed by the Congress or declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. See, Andrew Koppelman, Dumb and DOMA: Why the Defense of Marriage Act is Unconstitutional, 83 Iowa L. Rev. 1 (1997); Larry Kramer, Same-Sex Marriage, Conflict of Laws, and the Unconstitutional Public Policy Exception, 106 Yale L.J. 1965 (1997); Mark Strasser, Legally Wed: Same-Sex Marriage and the Constitution (Cornell Univ. Press 1997). Thus far, challenges to the validity of DOMA have not been successful. See, e.g., In re Kandu, 315 B.R. 123 (Bankr. W.D.Wash 2004).

NB: The Administration has recently issued a policy statement that the government will not defend challenges to DOMA based upon constitutional standards.

Actually in the cases of Gill v. Office of Personal Management and Commonwealth of Massachusetts v. Health and Human Services certain aspects of DOMA were found to be unconstitutional and are working their way toward the SCOTUS.

>>>>

California just lost the title of the US's gay mecca.

It's now NYC.

Unless SF gets blown (heh) off the map, it isnt happening.

Apparently Frisco is the second gayest city in the country and Minneapolis has become first--it wasn't really a scientific serious study though, and imo none of these subjective city rankings have much value. But it's not too surprising to be on that map, because we're a pretty liberal socially and Hennepin Ave (which is the main bar/club/theater/nightlife street) in downtown has had the rainbow pride banners on the light poles for the past month, for whatever that's worth. But there is a vocal social conservative sect in the suburbs and smaller towns who have been lobbying for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, so yeah. If we get a DFL legislative majority under Dayton I'd bet we'll be following the same path as NY.

I have been married to the same woman for 35 years, married in a Christian church, raised 3 children in that church and attend church.
Now NY allows same sex marriages.
My marriage will now never be the same and society is doomed to fall into moral decay forever because 2 people of the same sex, that happen to love each other, want to marry and share their lives together.
This must end. Gay marriage will destroy the world. The embers of hell will start to fall on us immediately.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Our ebil plan to take over the world with gay marriage laaazurs (insert finger quotation motion here) is working....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Calm down Sally, or you are gonna be running short on spare undies. :) :) :)

Where do we draw the line between Church and State? Individual Conscience and the will of the State backed by mandate. What does the State have the Right to Force You to participate in, where, how, and why is that line drawn in the sand?

Let's distinguish between Gay Coupling or Marriage Rights, and their desire to force others to participate against their will and conscience, by mandate. Why exactly can't we have one without the other? Is it that your Ethics are okay, because you are special, but mine are not? ;)
It is right for you to impose your will on me because......

Someone is forcing you to participate in a gay marriage? They can do that? Who knew?

You are confused about the point. The issue is whether Clergy should be forced by the Power of the State to perform, preside over, Gay Weddings, under Penalty of Law.

Take a step back and recheck your premise.

Ok.... I didn't read all the way through this thread... but in case no one brought it up....

There was an amendment passed to the very same bill that protected churches from HAVING to perform these weddings. This amendment was passed before the final vote on the gay marriage bill.

Those churches that don't want to marry same sex couples, won't have to... AS IT SHOULD BE.

There was an amendment passed to the very same bill that protected churches from HAVING to perform these weddings. This amendment was passed before the final vote on the gay marriage bill.

Those churches that don't want to marry same sex couples, won't have to... AS IT SHOULD BE.

Actually provisions protecting Clergy and Churches from having to perform Same-sex Civil Marriages (which they wouldn't have had to do anyway because of the 1st Amendment) already existed in the legislation and was not the action of the amendment voted on just before passage. The amendment voted on just before passage had to do with expanded exceptions for certain types of religious related institutions and chartities, not the basic clergy/church exemptions that already existed.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/3775382-post58.html

Here is a link to were I posted the language provided in the bill and if you check the date stamp of the post you will see it was well prior to last nights vote.

>>>>

Last edited:
Hey anyone online, call in to give your opinion and comments on this issue
Which is the topic of the radio show on now
News Talk 1070 AM KNTH
1-866 (not 800) 606-TALK (8255)
(note don't call 800 unless you want to get an adult talk line that isn't free to call)
1-866-606-8255 Chris X Radio

Again the topic is this gay marriage bill (show runs 12 midnight to 2 AM central, or 1 to 3 on the East Coast)
The host supports civil unions through the state that are open to all people equally
but personally believes gay marriage is not fair to impose on the majority opposed

Please call in if you have some comments or want to debate or discuss this!

Last edited:
It's awesome that they legalized. Screw all of you religion-heads who talk about god. Gays have a right to be happy just like anyone else, and call it marriage. God wouldn't be so concerned with a title. He would likely be more concerned with his own followers hating someone else for any reason. Focus on more important things then being self-righteous for once you Christians.

It's awesome that they legalized. Screw all of you religion-heads who talk about god. Gays have a right to be happy just like anyone else, and call it marriage. God wouldn't be so concerned with a title. He would likely be more concerned with his own followers hating someone else for any reason. Focus on more important things then being self-righteous for once you Christians.

Ehh... What can you? It's religion.

But I am also happy that New York finally legalized it.

Being the vengeful person I am, I would most likely hunt down those who enforced the unconstitutional law and knock them out 1 by 1 in court. People need to stand up for their rights. (for those arguing about gays teaching about themselves, they do have the right to freedom of speech and expression, but you also have the right to ignore them. Just like how you argue that it's against religion for gays to marry, they don't want to hear that and choose to ignore you.)

Someone is forcing you to participate in a gay marriage? They can do that? Who knew?

You are confused about the point. The issue is whether Clergy should be forced by the Power of the State to perform, preside over, Gay Weddings, under Penalty of Law.

Ok.... I didn't read all the way through this thread... but in case no one brought it up....

That may be true until a few years from now when somebody gets a case before the supreme court and they rule the exemption as unconstituional. Then NY is stuck with no way to protect the churches from being forced to perform ceremonies against their beliefs.

I have been married to the same woman for 35 years, married in a Christian church, raised 3 children in that church and attend church.
Now NY allows same sex marriages.
My marriage will now never be the same and society is doomed to fall into moral decay forever because 2 people of the same sex, that happen to love each other, want to marry and share their lives together.
This must end. Gay marriage will destroy the world. The embers of hell will start to fall on us immediately.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Our ebil plan to take over the world with gay marriage laaazurs (insert finger quotation motion here) is working....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I woke up yesterday and immediately had an argument with my wife.
It had to be because NY is now allowing same sex couples to marry.
Another child was born out of wedlock because of gay marriage.
Crime will go up because of gay marriage.
But if we keep banning it in Georgia we will be able to balance our budget, education will get better and the drought will never come back.
Within 40 years gay marraige will be legal in every state. And it can not come soon enough.
As a conservative this is a NON issue. Let them get married.

That may be true until a few years from now when somebody gets a case before the supreme court and they rule the exemption as unconstituional. Then NY is stuck with no way to protect the churches from being forced to perform ceremonies against their beliefs.

How many people do you really, really believe want to FORCE a church to perform a marriage?
I have never ever heard of that.
Churches NOW can deny you a marriage in a church to a STRAIGHT couple.
Just another way out there scenario of "well maybe".
Ain't going to happen.

How many people do you really, really believe want to FORCE a church to perform a marriage?
Ain't going to happen.

Straight couples are not a protected group. Gays are.

Ain't going to happen.

For some time now I've asked for evidence of ANY Church/Synagogue/Temple or any ordained member of the Clergy being FORCED to perform a religious wedding ceremony in a case of...

1. Interracial Marriage,

2. Interfaith Marriage,

3. Where one or both participants are divorced for reasons not recognized by that faiths dogma,

4. Or even a Same-sex ceremony since they were legalized in 2004.​

Results so far?...

....................... Not one successful criminal or civil case.

..............................................Not even one attempt.

>>>>

Last edited:

Ain't going to happen.

You avoided my question like a monkey on fire.
Are you claiming a gay couple wants to hold their marriage somewhere that DOES NOT WANT THEM?
Sorry, that makes no sense whatsoever. To hold a wedding, your special day, somewhere where you are not wanted and YOU KNOW you are not wanted.
Gay folks are just like us. They just happen to fall in love with folks of the same sex.

Ain't going to happen.

Are you claiming a gay couple wants to hold their marriage somewhere that DOES NOT WANT THEM?
Sorry, that makes no sense whatsoever. To hold a wedding, your special day, somewhere where you are not wanted and YOU KNOW you are not wanted.
Gay folks are just like us. They just happen to fall in love with folks of the same sex.

No but this is exactly the kind of crap the ACLU loves to do to prove a point.

But ACLU has to have a client to make a case.
ACLU everyone loves to hate. But Jerry Falwell used them in his case and ACLU is the leader in defending street preachers against no preaching in street municipal ordinance violoation cases. They win everyone and also won the Falwell v. Virginia case.

But ACLU has to have a client to make a case.
ACLU everyone loves to hate. But Jerry Falwell used them in his case and ACLU is the leader in defending street preachers against no preaching in street municipal ordinance violoation cases. They win everyone and also won the Falwell v. Virginia case.

I dont care if the ACLU could walk on water. There methods and motivations are corrupt.

You have an issue with free speech?

I'm not a contributor, nor do I support all actions taken by the ACLU (but in truth there are few large orgnizations where that would be different).

So with that said here are some examples of the ACLU defending the rights of indivudual religious freedoms (which is very different then challenging imposition of religion).

ACLU of New Jersey Defends Second-Grader's Right to Sing Religious Song | American Civil Liberties Union
ACLU of Georgia and Baptist Church File Religious Discrimination Lawsuit | American Civil Liberties Union
ACLU of Rhode Island Files Appeal on Behalf of Christian Prisoner Barred from Preaching at Religious Services | American Civil Liberties Union
ACLU of Michigan Defends Catholic Man Coerced to Convert to Pentecostal Faith in Drug Rehab Program | American Civil Liberties Union
ACLU Helps Free New Mexico Street Preacher From Prison | American Civil Liberties Union
ACLU Applauds Supreme Court Ruling Protecting Religious Liberty in Prisons | American Civil Liberties Union
ACLU of New Jersey Successfully Defends Right of Religious Expression by Jurors | American Civil Liberties Union

http://www.aclu.org/religion/frb/16347prs20040811.html"]http://www.aclu.org/religion/frb/16347prs20040811.html

LINCOLN --The American Civil Liberties Union of Nebraska today announced that it would defend a Presbyterian church from a forced eviction by the city.
"There's no reason for the city to force the Church of the Awesome God from its home, and the city is violating both the First Amendment and federal law in doing so," said Tim Butz, Executive Director of the ACLU of Nebraska.

http://www.aclu.org/religion/frb/16354prs20040720.html"]http://www.aclu.org/religion/frb/16354prs20040720.html

DETROIT - The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan today asked the state Supreme Court to hear the case of a Catholic man who was criminally punished for not completing a Pentecostal drug rehabilitation program, which prevented him from practicing his own religious faith. His request to be transferred to another program that would allow him to practice his own faith was denied and he was sentenced to six months in jail and boot camp.

http://www.aclu.org/religion/gen/16374prs20041222.html"]http://www.aclu.org/religion/gen/16374prs20041222.html

NEWARK, NJ-- The State Supreme Court ruled today that a prosecutor violated the New Jersey Constitution when he removed two jurors from a jury pool, one for wearing Muslim religious clothing and another for having engaged in missionary activity.
"In this country, people have a right to express their religious beliefs without fear of discrimination by the government," said ACLU of New Jersey Legal Director Ed Barocas. "Excluding people from jury pools based on their religious belief or expression violates the principles of freedom found in the Bill of Rights."

ACLU of Georgia and Baptist Church File Religious Discrimination Lawsuit | American Civil Liberties Union
ACLU of Rhode Island Files Appeal on Behalf of Christian Prisoner Barred from Preaching at Religious Services | American Civil Liberties Union
Florida Officials Agree to Protect Free Speech, Suspend Insurance Requirement for Public Displays During the Holidays | American Civil Liberties Union
ACLU of New Jersey Joins Lawsuit Supporting Second-Grader's Right to Sing ""Awesome God"" at Talent Show | American Civil Liberties Union
ACLU Helps Free New Mexico Street Preacher From Prison | American Civil Liberties Union
ACLU Applauds Supreme Court Ruling Protecting Religious Liberty in Prisons | American Civil Liberties Union
Following Threat of ACLU of Virginia Lawsuit, Officials to Agree Not to Ban Baptisms in Public Parks | American Civil Liberties Union
http://aclu.org/studentsrights/expre...s20040511.html
Following ACLU Lawsuit, Town Officials Settle Lawsuit Over Denial of Zoning Permit to Pittsburgh Area Church | American Civil Liberties Union
http://aclu.org/studentsrights/expre...s20030221.html
In Win for Rev. Falwell (and the ACLU), Judge Rules VA Must Allow Churches to Incorporate | American Civil Liberties Union
Eleven-Year-Old Muslim Girl Harassed After Declining Bible From School Principal, ACLU of LA Charges | American Civil Liberties Union
ACLU Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Ohio Firefighters Forced to Attend Church Service or Face Discipline | American Civil Liberties Union
ACLU of San Diego Defends 15-Year-Old High School Honors Student Disciplined for Wearing an American Flag in Her Back Pocket | American Civil Liberties Union
http://www.aclu.org/freespeech/gen/1...s20020108.html

Battle to feed hungry at church goes on

ACLU Fights for Christmas Tree
http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=26128

ACLU Files Suit to Protect Free Speech Rights of Christian Protesting Wal-Mart's Policy on Gays
http://www.laaclu.org/News/2006/Crayton_102706.htm

ACLU of Georgia and Baptist Church File Religious Discrimination Lawsuit

ACLU of WA Wins Right of Christian Minister to Preach in Spokane Plaza
ACLU of Washington

ACLU Fights for Baptist Preacher in Illinois
ACLU of Washington

ACLU Backs Christian Abortion Protester in Ohio
freedomforum.org: ACLU backs abortion protester cited for graphic poster

ACLU Defends Christian Group's Anti-Abortion Ads On Phoenix Buses
ACLU Press Release - 01/23/97 -- Phoenix Bus Advertising Policy Challenged

2004: Indiana Civil Liberties Union defends the rights of Baptist minister to preach his message on public streets: LINK
2004: After ACLU intervention on behalf of Christian valedictorian, Michigan high school agrees to stop censoring religious yearbook entries: LINK
2004: ACLU of Washington defends right of evangelical minister to preach on sidewalks: LINK
2004: ACLU of Virginia threatens lawsuit and officials agree not to prohibit baptisms on public property in Falmouth Waterside Park in Stafford County: LINK
2004: ACLU of Nevada supports free speech rights of evangelists to preach on the sidewalks of the Strip in Las Vegas: LINK
2004: ACLU of Nebraska defends church facing eviction by the City of Lincoln: LINK
2003: ACLU of Rhode Island supports rights of carolers to sing outside women's prison on Christmas Eve. Prison officials back down, agree to let the caroling take place.
2003: ACLU of Massachusetts defends students punished for distributing candy Canes with religious messages: LINK
2002: ACLU of Pennsylvania files discrimination lawsuit over denial of zoning permit for African American Baptist church: LINK
2002: ACLU of Massachusetts files brief supporting right of Church of the Good News to run ads criticizing the securalization of Christmas and promoting Christianity as the "one true religion" after the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Agency refuses to allow the ads on subways.
2002: ACLU of Iowa supports right of students to distribute Christian literature in public schools during non-instructional times. Files amicus brief in case for students barred from doing so in Davenport: LINK
2002: ACLU helps Reverend Jerry Falwell win ruling that state of Virginia must allow churches to incorporate: LINK
2002: ACLU defends Christian church's right to run "Anti-Santa" ads in Boston subways: LINK
2001: ACLU of Utah negotiates settlement enabling evangelical Christian ministry to set up booth at state fair on same terms as other vendors. Group previously had been excluded from the fair because some patrons objected to content of their message.
2000: ACLU of Maryland supports Baltimore police officer suspended for wearing his hair in locks for religious reasons.
1999: The ACLU of Maryland assists the March for Life Committee in getting a permit for an anti-abortion march in Annapolis without having to pay a $5,400 fee the city was seeking. The ACLU worked with the American Center for Law & Justice to revise a proposed city ordinance so as to keep free speech free.
1999: ACLU of West Virginia files suit on behalf of a minister who declined, for religious reasons, to have his photograph taken for a driver license.
1998: ACLU of New Jersey files a lawsuit on behalf of the right of two police officers in Newark to wear beards as a matter of religious freedom. As Muslims, the officers wore beards as part of their religious beliefs.
1998: ACLU of Eastern Missouri win job back and permission to wear pin for a nurse who lost her job because she refused to remove a cross-shaped lapel pin from her uniform. The hospital had claimed the nurse violated its employee dress code when she expressed her Christian beliefs by wearing the pin.
1997: Arizona Civil Liberties Union sues City of Phoenix to challenge an ordinance under which the City refused to allow the Children of the Rosary, an anti-abortion group, to place ads on City buses. The lawsuit was filed jointly with the American Center for Law and Justice.
1996: ACLU of Virginia files lawsuit for church in Richmond threatened with closure of its Sunday meal program by city officials because of zoning regulations.
1995: ACLU of Washington supports right of a Baptist minister to distribute religious tracts in a park in Renton after police asked him to desist because he lacked City permission. The City relented after the ACLU pointed out that the law cited against the minister applied only to commercial activities.
1995: ACLU of Vermont wins ruling from state Human Services Board waiving state Social Welfare Dept. requirement for use of Social Security numbers by students receiving Medicaid and food stamp benefits. Their parents believed that such permanent numbers represent mark of the Anti-Christ, according to the Book of Revelations. ACLU argued that their religious beliefs could be protected by use of random identifying numbers.
1995: ACLU of Massachusetts successfully defended rights of prisoners to possess and use religious articles in their cells. Worcester County Sheriff had seized rosaries, prayer beads, religious medals, books and symbols, claiming they were signs of gang membership. ACLU of MA filed suit on behalf of the prisoners' rights to practice their religion under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993 and the state constitution.
1995: ACLU of Massachusetts filed friend of the court brief in support of two women who were fired for refusing to work at the racetrack on Christmas Day.
1995: ACLU of Iowa successfully sued City of Waterloo to defend right of conservative Christian activist to broadcast on public access television.
1994: ACLU of Rhode Island files a federal lawsuit on behalf of the RI State Right to Life Committee, the RI State Rifle and Revolver Association and numerous other non-profit groups challenging a House of Representatives rule that bars private, but not government, lobbyists from the floor of the House while it is in session.
1994: ACLU of Pennsylvania assisted a pregnant 17-year-old whose parents wanted her to have an abortion she didn't want. She had moved away from home to continue her pregnancy, but her parents called police to have her brought home. ACLU convinced officials to let her continue her pregnancy and live away from parents.
1993: ACLU successfully defends the right of a woman to refuse, on religious grounds, to submit to a court-ordered caesarian section.
1993: ACLU of Northern California defends an 8th-grade student's right to wear a shirt saying "Real Women Love Jesus" in school by writing letters to principal. Result: School district lifts ban on shirt. LINK
1993: ACLU of New Jersey files an amicus brief on behalf of anti-abortion picketers. "Our defense of freedom of speech clearly cannot vary, and has not varied, with the views expressed." -- ACLU attorney Frank Corrado.
1993: ACLU of Florida offers legal assistance to Operation Rescue, who refused the offer.
1993: ACLU joins battle to overturn a court ruling which banned a minister from holding meetings at a public school in New York State.
1992: ACLU of Rhode Island files a friend-of-the-court brief challenging a state judge's increase of bail for anti-abortion defendants, charged with obstructing a clinic, who refused to provide their Social Security numbers.
1991: ACLU of Northern California offers support for man arrested for displaying photographs of human fetuses. "The ACLU is pro-choice, but the fact that we might disagree with their message would never dissuade us from defending their right to speak out." --Elaine Elinson, Public Information director, ACLU-Northern California.
1990: ACLU of Southern California files a brief supporting Operation Rescue's appeal of a federal judge's ruling upholding the use of "pain compliance" techniques by L.A. police.
1990: ACLU of Rhode Island files a friend-of-the-court brief in state Supreme Court in support of anti-abortion protesters challenging the constitutionality of a town ordinance limiting residential picketing.
1990: ACLU of Central Florida backs televangelist Tammy Faye Bakker's attempt to challenge to zoning laws in Orlando, claiming the law's prohibition of churches in industrial zones violates church/state separation.
1990: ACLU of Iowa supports anti-abortionists' challenge to an Iowa City picketing ordinance.
1989: ACLU of Connecticut offers assistance to Operation Rescue demonstrators subjected to pain compliance holds. ACLU state director calls for state legislature to hold hearings on the issue and consideration forbidding their use.
1988: ACLU of Rhode Island favorably settles an administrative complaint challenging the use on police applicants of a standardized psychological test which asks questions relating to fundamentalist religious beliefs.
1982: ACLU of Rhode Island mounts a successful federal challenge on behalf of an unendorsed Democratic right to life candidate, to a state law allowing only political party committees to hold raffles to raise funds for political campaigns.

Midtopia: The ACLU and religious liberty

>>>>

Last edited:

Forum List

Back