Obama asks black NY Governor not to run

holy crap
does he think he has that authority?

The White House made a request ... I didn't hear an order given. However, Obama is the de facto head of the party so when he makes a suggestion like that it's prolly best to take it into heavy consideration. It seems like pure politics to keep a dem in the chair.

WTF?

Preamble and the 10th. ALL need to let the WH know this is unacceptable.

Concern troll is concerned.

I don't know what the fuck the Constitution has to do with this.
10th Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

He hasn't violated this, he is attempting to violate this. He is federal, this is a state. He has few authorities at a state level at all, expecially not any authority to dictate who runs for their executive position.
i dont see it as a 10th amendment issue
but, is there a precident of a sitting POTUS telling another sitting GOvernor not to run?

or even as A15 is asking "advising" someone to not run?

I fail to see where your evidence lies. He's making a suggestion, not an order.

Are you that dull as a doorknob that you cannot see that?

And even IF he succeeded, it would still just be Paterson taking his ADVICE. No one is putting a gun to Paterson's head.
Hey, as I said, if you're cool with the POTUS attempting to violate the Constitution, then that's good to know.

And even IF he succeeded, it would still just be Paterson taking his ADVICE. No one is putting a gun to Paterson's head.
Hey, as I said, if you're cool with the POTUS attempting to violate the Constitution, then that's good to know.

We are all very concerned, concern troll.

The White House made a request ... I didn't hear an order given. However, Obama is the de facto head of the party so when he makes a suggestion like that it's prolly best to take it into heavy consideration. It seems like pure politics to keep a dem in the chair.

Concern troll is concerned.

I don't know what the fuck the Constitution has to do with this.
10th Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

He hasn't violated this, he is attempting to violate this. He is federal, this is a state. He has few authorities at a state level at all, expecially not any authority to dictate who runs for their executive position.
but, is there a precident of a sitting POTUS telling another sitting GOvernor not to run?

Probably but I'm certainly not going to go digging for it.

Of course there is, it's just never made the news however.

Ask yourself:

Do you seriously think this is the first time a sitting POTUS asking someone else not to run for a political office?

Of course there is, it's just never made the news however.

Ask yourself:

Do you seriously think this is the first time a sitting POTUS asking someone else not to run for a political office?
i have never heard of one

What is up with you? You have an issue with my posting at USMB?

What is up with you?

Chillin'. What's up with you?

You have an issue with my posting at USMB?

In general? No. I don't even know who the fuck you are beyond the idiot who seems to think Obama is trying to violate the Constitution here. Worry about your own party's inner politics.

The President PUBLICLY advising a Governor not to run that has broken no laws is unheard of. And it is skirting the Constitution. It is unacceptable behavior. BY any President.

He is NOT the head of the Democratic Party, he is the President and he has no official or legal power to publicly advise a Governor about anything to do with their job or political ambitions.

His role would be to advise him behind closed doors of his OPINION. By using the White House he IS defacto making it a Presidential request, one could say a demand. By doing it behind closed doors and NOT using the White House to make a PUBLIC demand ( oh excuse me, request) he does not infringe between the power of the President and the Power of a Governor or a State.

When the President makes a PUBLIC recommendation it is for all intents and purposes an order. And you Article15 know it. Or did you assume when some senior Officer recommended you do something, that you could just ignore it?

i have never heard of one

1. That's because most people are smarter than Paterson and wouldn't publicize it.

2. Really? They didn't ask Blagoyovich to step down?

and to RGS who seems to have a bit of a problem with reality:

who publicized it? the white house? doubtful

and the president is ALWAYS considered the head of his party.

Last edited:
The President does wear two hats, you know. If he wants to dispense political advice via his political staff wearing his political party leader hat, that's up to him. Happens all the time. Look at the Bush disagreements over who should run for what and when, and that was all in the family. :lol:
It isn't especially classy to air the party's laundry in public, but looking at the wording and the source I agree with jillian 100% - the leak was not the White House's doing. If it were, the anonymous source would be described with some connection to the Administration. It's the Daily News after all. :rolleyes:
Or for all we know, it could have been a janitor listening at the door and running off to sell what he heard to the highest tabloid bidder. Wouldn't be the first time for that either.
Nothing new here.

The President PUBLICLY advising a Governor not to run that has broken no laws is unheard of. And it is skirting the Constitution. It is unacceptable behavior. BY any President.

He is NOT the head of the Democratic Party, he is the President and he has no official or legal power to publicly advise a Governor about anything to do with their job or political ambitions.

His role would be to advise him behind closed doors of his OPINION. By using the White House he IS defacto making it a Presidential request, one could say a demand. By doing it behind closed doors and NOT using the White House to make a PUBLIC demand ( oh excuse me, request) he does not infringe between the power of the President and the Power of a Governor or a State.

When the President makes a PUBLIC recommendation it is for all intents and purposes an order. And you Article15 know it. Or did you assume when some senior Officer recommended you do something, that you could just ignore it?

Next time read the link.

]So the fuck what? BHO asked a governor not to run. That is none of BHO's fucking business. Not only is it none of BHO's business, it's a big mistake on BHO's part as he shows his disregard for the Constitution.

They're both Democrats, there is a election in which him running can hurt the Democrats. So one Democrat to another gives ADVICE. I personally don't think Obama should get involved. However, it's politics, so of course he is going to inject his opinion at the very least.

Which part of the Constitution is Obama breaking? Do show me. Because I would love to see what he is breaking. Far as I know, you're pretty much saying he has no right to a freedom of speech. Because as he is outside of NY, he is just another citizen with a voice. And he is using that voice. However, he also happens to be the POTUS.

The White House never gets involved in state politics. Never ever.

Karl Rove and Chris Christie discussed N.J. governor run while serving as U.S. Attorney | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Forum List

Back