Obama bring solar to Walmart, Ikea etc. Horrors...

francoHFW

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2011
NY 26th FINALLY DEM!
Making the first-ever presidential stop at a Wal-Mart on Friday, President Obama urged U.S. businesses to join his administration’s efforts to improve energy efficiency -- arguing that "there are cost-effective ways to tackle climate change and create jobs at the same time."

Climate change is already affecting all of U.S., report says
Climate change is already affecting all of U.S., report says
Kathleen Hennessey, Neela Banerjee
Speaking from the middle of a solar-powered big-box store here, with a backdrop of glitter-encrusted flip-flops and cotton sun dresses, Obama announced a series of executive actions and partnerships with private companies to curb carbon emissions. He touted Wal-Mart’s new goal of doubling the number of solar projects at its stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico over the next six years.

Though Obama has faced opposition to his environmental agenda in Congress, the president said he would continue to advance his initiatives through the power of his pen and by leaning on private companies for help.

In recent months, he said, he'd been dialing up U.S. businesses and asking them to commit to using more renewable energy. The White House announced Friday that 10 had agreed, including Yahoo, Google, Apple, Ikea, Kaiser Permanente, Clif Bar, Viridity Energy, Bonipak farms and Taylor Farms.

“Together, the commitments we are announcing today prove that there are cost-effective ways to tackle climate change and create jobs at the same time,” Obama said before a crowd of supporters and Wal-Mart employees. “So often when we hear about how we’re going to deal with this really serious issue, people say we can’t afford to do it. It won’t be good for the economy.”

“It will be good for the economy long-term,” the president said emphatically, “and if we don’t, that will be bad for the economy.”

President Obama, in California stop, makes push for energy efficiency*-*Los Angeles Times

Sorta vague info there. Sounds like he's still campaigning. I wonder when he will become a president? Pretty cool though that BO goes to WallyWorld, I'll bet he picked up a little something for the missus.

Sorta vague info there. Sounds like he's still campaigning. I wonder when he will become a president? Pretty cool though that BO goes to WallyWorld, I'll bet he picked up a little something for the missus.

for as much as libtards hate Walmart

it is amuzing watching them spin it into something nice

--LOL

reminds me of when Raygun (the Repub budget buster :eusa_shhh: ) removed solar panels from the WH for no other reason than pure rw spite.
They weren't boiling the water for his hippie vats so they went back to the 220v system. Obama was going to put them back up to power Michelle's bedroom toys but they weren't quite up to snuff for that either.

Administration officials said the solar panels on the White House will convert sunlight directly to electricity. The solar hot water heater will have a solar collector facing the sun that will heat water for use in the White House residence.

Administration officials said they expected the photovoltaic system will convert sunlight into 19,700 kilowatt hours of electricity a year.

According to The Associated Press, that would save a typical Washington, D.C.-area household $2,300 on its electricity bill. The solar hot water heating system could save an additional $1,000 a year.

Solar Panels on the White House

reminds me of when Raygun (the Repub budget buster :eusa_shhh: ) removed solar panels from the WH for no other reason than pure rw spite.
They weren't boiling the water for his hippie vats so they went back to the 220v system. Obama was going to put them back up to power Michelle's bedroom toys but they weren't quite up to snuff for that either.

placeholder of a post :yawn:

In case you hadn't noticed, this is the politics sub-forum. You read the rules Skippy?
"Zone 2": Political Forum/ Each post must contain content relevant to the thread subject, in addition to any flame. No trolling. No hit and run flames. No hijacking or derailing threads.

Grow up son :eusa_hand:

Solar power is great. But do any of you lefties have any idea how much fossil fuel is consumed to make solar panels? Do you have any idea how much they cost and how long the break-even period is for the average home?

Do you realize that they only work when the sun is out? Do you realize that they do nothing at night or on a cloudy day?

I have a solar water heater, I live in the south where we have a lot of sunny days. I cycle the heated water into an insulated storage tank to keep it hot for several hours. It works, I built it myself. It probably saves me $20/month. Not a big deal but it was fun building it. You can buy a kit with the necessary sensors and a small pump on line. The rest is just basic plumbing.

As I said, solar is great. But lets not get carried away and think it will replace fossil fuels in the foreseeable future.

and for you libs, how about that solar panel farm in california that was never built because it might disturb a family of lizards? i.e. libs don't live in reality.

placeholder of a post :yawn:

In case you hadn't noticed, this is the politics sub-forum. You read the rules Skippy?
"Zone 2": Political Forum/ Each post must contain content relevant to the thread subject, in addition to any flame. No trolling. No hit and run flames. No hijacking or derailing threads.

Grow up son :eusa_hand:
My response was to your idiotic post:
" reminds me of when Raygun (the Repub budget buster ) removed solar panels from the WH for no other reason than pure rw spite. "

Follow your own advice asshole, and quit being such a sniveling ****.

so why DID the Gipper remove solar panels from the WH then? :eusa_think: Aesthetics? :doubt: He did it to score cheap political points w/ his base.

Last edited:
so why DID the Gipper remove solar panels from the WH then? :eusa_think: Aesthetics? :doubt: He did it to score cheap political points w/ his base.
No, they were largely symbolic and given Carter's track record on energy, a joke.

Solar-energy system installed at White House ? History.com This Day in History ? 6/20/1979
In 1986, President Reagan had the solar panels removed and put into a federal storage facility in Virginia, stating that the energy crisis that had affected both foreign and domestic policy during Carter's term would not be a factor during his own. Both the environmental organization Greenpeace and a college in Maine asked to have the solar panels after they were taken down. As an October 2004 Associated Press article reported, Greenpeace's request for the panels, which they wanted to use in a homeless shelter, was ultimately rejected, and in 1992, the conservation-minded Unity College of Maine installed them to use for the generation of hot water in the student dining hall. Former President Carter sent a congratulatory note to the college saying he was glad the panels would be of some use.

By 2004, the solar panels had worn out. Unity College kept one of the panels for "historical significance," donated another panel to the Smithsonian Institute and offered the rest for sale.

I don't know why. probably because they weren't working. The life of a solar panel is relatively short and if you have a hail storm-------------------very short.

No, they were largely symbolic and given Carter's track record on energy, a joke.

Solar-energy system installed at White House ? History.com This Day in History ? 6/20/1979
In 1986, President Reagan had the solar panels removed and put into a federal storage facility in Virginia, stating that the energy crisis that had affected both foreign and domestic policy during Carter's term would not be a factor during his own. Both the environmental organization Greenpeace and a college in Maine asked to have the solar panels after they were taken down. As an October 2004 Associated Press article reported, Greenpeace's request for the panels, which they wanted to use in a homeless shelter, was ultimately rejected, and in 1992, the conservation-minded Unity College of Maine installed them to use for the generation of hot water in the student dining hall. Former President Carter sent a congratulatory note to the college saying he was glad the panels would be of some use.

By 2004, the solar panels had worn out. Unity College kept one of the panels for "historical significance," donated another panel to the Smithsonian Institute and offered the rest for sale.

Wow...so these "negligible" panels provided hot water to a college from 1979 to 2004.

Yup, pure spite and mean.

your source doesn't back-up your assertion weasel :eusa_whistle: other than the Gipper wanting to use their removal as a prop to ramp-up carbon addiction/use again. That doesn't mean the panels weren't working :eusa_hand:

Last edited:
Solar power is great. But do any of you lefties have any idea how much fossil fuel is consumed to make solar panels? Do you have any idea how much they cost and how long the break-even period is for the average home?

Do you realize that they only work when the sun is out? Do you realize that they do nothing at night or on a cloudy day?

I have a solar water heater, I live in the south where we have a lot of sunny days. I cycle the heated water into an insulated storage tank to keep it hot for several hours. It works, I built it myself. It probably saves me $20/month. Not a big deal but it was fun building it. You can buy a kit with the necessary sensors and a small pump on line. The rest is just basic plumbing.

As I said, solar is great. But lets not get carried away and think it will replace fossil fuels in the foreseeable future.

and for you libs, how about that solar panel farm in california that was never built because it might disturb a family of lizards? i.e. libs don't live in reality.
And of course we have wind power...but they have a tendency to chop up birds...and the elites that want them, want them anywhere but in their neighborhoods.

Forum List

Back