Obama Excoriates Republican Obsession With The Term ‘Radical Islam’

“Calling a threat by a different name does not make it go away,” the president said.

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Tuesday forcefully rebuked Republicans who have berated him for refusing to characterize lone wolf terror attacks by Muslim individuals as acts of “radical Islam.”

Speaking from the Treasury Department two days after a Muslim man shot 49 people to death at a gay nightclub in Orlando after declaring allegiance to the self-described Islamic State group, the president challenged his detractors to identify a single tangible benefit of adjusting his choice of words to describe the attack.

“What exactly would using this label accomplish? What exactly would it change? Would it make ISIL less committed to try to kill Americans? Would it bring in more allies? Is there a military strategy that is served by this?” Obama asked rhetorically, using another name for the Islamic State.

“The answer is none of the above. Calling a threat by a different name does not make it go away.”

"Not once has an adviser of mine said, ‘Man, if we really use that phrase, we’re gonna turn this whole thing around.’ Not once." ~ President Barack Obama

More: Obama Excoriates Republican Obsession With The Term 'Radical Islam'

Thank you, Mr. President. I totally agree. Trump can't stop lying about the birthplace and citizenship of the Orlando shooter. They were both born in New York - within walking distance of each other.

Not acknowledging the problem certainly does not make it go away.
and you are under the idiotic impression that the president doesn't acknowledge the problem?

He sure is avoiding it like plague... which is the reason why he is blamed for not using the word. It's not about the word, but the acknowledgement.

The new right wing PC. You'd better use our words to describe those terrorist or we're going to oppose you. Wait, they'll never support him(even when we are attacked), so why the fuck should he?

did I miss where Lakhota posted a link to Trump claiming the Orlando douche wasn't born in NYC? I'm sure I missed it, noway would Lakhota lie
What Trump said was "He was born an (in--according to some) Afghan, to Afghan parents." I heard it on the news. Lakhota did not make it up. Trump did not say the Orlando douche "wasn't born in NYC." He said the above, which is another way of inferring the guy was born in Afghanistan, not NYC. Capiche?

How do you fight an enemy you can't even bring yourself to admit exists?
wow. so you think the president doesn't think isis exists, or extremism exists?

are you that dumb or just pretending?

Ok then, why can't he just say it? What if this were WW II? What, would he refer to the Nazi's as what, "Lederhosen people"? Or "people that have issues with Jews"?
he refers to groups by their names.

We are at war with radical Islam, no matter whether they call themselves Boko Haram, ISIS, ISISL, etc.

We are at war with people who claim to be Islamic.

“Calling a threat by a different name does not make it go away,” the president said.

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Tuesday forcefully rebuked Republicans who have berated him for refusing to characterize lone wolf terror attacks by Muslim individuals as acts of “radical Islam.”

Speaking from the Treasury Department two days after a Muslim man shot 49 people to death at a gay nightclub in Orlando after declaring allegiance to the self-described Islamic State group, the president challenged his detractors to identify a single tangible benefit of adjusting his choice of words to describe the attack.

“What exactly would using this label accomplish? What exactly would it change? Would it make ISIL less committed to try to kill Americans? Would it bring in more allies? Is there a military strategy that is served by this?” Obama asked rhetorically, using another name for the Islamic State.

“The answer is none of the above. Calling a threat by a different name does not make it go away.”

"Not once has an adviser of mine said, ‘Man, if we really use that phrase, we’re gonna turn this whole thing around.’ Not once." ~ President Barack Obama

Thank you, Mr. President. I totally agree. Trump can't stop lying about the birthplace and citizenship of the Orlando shooter. They were both born in New York - within walking distance of each other.

Maybe we should take a page from the President and refer to radical Islam as "those who cling to their explosive vests and qurans".

And goats, don't forget the goats.

Ok then, why can't he just say it? What if this were WW II? What, would he refer to the Nazi's as what, "Lederhosen people"? Or "people that have issues with Jews"?

We are at war with radical Islam, no matter whether they call themselves Boko Haram, ISIS, ISISL, etc.

Then we should bury them in chitlins.

Republicans are trying to trap Obama into declaring a war on Islam

It is not going to work

No we're not... go back to sleep. Radical Islam has declared war on us.

Yes they have

And they are going after the hearts and minds of Muslims. In order to do that they paint themselves as defenders of Islam and the U.S. As having a war on Islam

Republican rhetoric fits right in

Maybe we should take a page from the President and refer to radical Islam as "those who cling to their explosive vests and qurans".

You mean like Christians clinging to their guns and Bibles? Radical Christianity?

Yes....of course. Obama was talking about his perception of Pennsylvania. Another difference is that mainstream or so-called moderate Christians do not fear radical Christians as peaceful Muslims fear Radical Muslims.

He's absolutely right. Because they have no viable alternative solutions of their own, the ODS'ers obsess on the wholly irrelevant semantics of the issue.

Republicans are trying to trap Obama into declaring a war on Islam

It is not going to work

No we're not... go back to sleep. Radical Islam has declared war on us.

Yes they have

And they are going after the hearts and minds of Muslims. In order to do that they paint themselves as defenders of Islam and the U.S. As having a war on Islam

Republican rhetoric fits right in

Kill all the radicals.
If that creates a new group of radicals, kill them too.

Not acknowledging the problem certainly does not make it go away.
and you are under the idiotic impression that the president doesn't acknowledge the problem?

He sure is avoiding it like plague... which is the reason why he is blamed for not using the word. It's not about the word, but the acknowledgement.

The new right wing PC. You'd better use our words to describe those terrorist or we're going to oppose you. Wait, they'll never support him(even when we are attacked), so why the fuck should he?
Dumb post.
The point is calling it what it is, however you choose to articulate it. I never heard obie use the words radical, extreme, etc., terrorist and Islam.

Yes, indeed "we" are

The Pachyderm in the room

Conservatives believe in magic, this is the problem. They have never fully grown up. They think changing what you call your enemy from 'enemy' to something else magically solves a problem.

The enemy doesn't care what you call them or what you think. This whole thing is a fake circle-jerk started by con-talk-radio and Faux News. How f'ing stupid do you have to be to believe any enemy ever cares what you call them? This is the same thinking that Kim Jung F$^kface uses.

Cons, call our enemies Poopy Diaper Face if it makes YOU feel good. It has zero bearing on what they do. Why can't this seep into the heads of you hillbillies?

Nah, conservatives believe in ACKNOWLEDGING the enemy. Obama believes there is no enemy, and Islam is a religion of peace too.

Okay but that's just plain stupid of you to say.

He's absolutely right. Because they have no viable alternative solutions of their own, the ODS'ers obsess on the wholly irrelevant semantics of the issue.
Sure he does. But NASA couldn't shoot it far enough up your ass for you to see it.

So why didn't we say we were at war with "radical Christianity" during the Waco mess? Why aren't y'all calling the Planned Parenthood attacks the works of "radical Christian extremists"?
Probably because we weren't. It was a small isolated cult who's leader thought he was the messiah. Not Christian and not worldwide stirring up shit.

Why are liberals incapable of ANY measure of discernment?

Just the way Muslims feel about ISIL. Huh, imagine that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So why didn't we say we were at war with "radical Christianity" during the Waco mess? Why aren't y'all calling the Planned Parenthood attacks the works of "radical Christian extremists"?
Probably because we weren't. It was a small isolated cult who's leader thought he was the messiah. Not Christian and not worldwide stirring up shit.

Why are liberals incapable of ANY measure of discernment?

Just the way Muslims feel about ISIL. Huh, imagine that!
When are they going to mention it? Imagine that! How many people did the Davidians kill?

Zero.

I prefer kooky Christianity.

I will refer to those who practice it as kooky Christians.

I wonder if anyone is too dense to figure out what I just said..
?

What good would it do? Make a bunch of racists happy for a split second ? It was just be used as ISIS propaganda .

The Narcissistic Islamic Extremist Sympathizer lectured Americans, who are the terrorists' targets, defended Radical Islam again, definantly proclaimed he will not acknowledge our enemy to be Radical Islamic Extremists, and inferred it was we Americans who are a danger.

Traiterous ass...

Forum List

Back