obama has unified Egypt

al-Sisi meets with Islamist leaders to try to defuse tensions...
:eusa_eh:
Egyptian army boss meets Islamists
Mon, Aug 05, 2013 - Egyptian armed forces commander-in-chief General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi met overnight with Islamist leaders to try and resolve the crisis pitting supporters of ousted Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi against Egypt’s new leaders.
Sisi “met with several representatives of the Islamist movements ... and stressed that there are opportunities for a peaceful solution to the crisis provided all sides reject violence,” army spokesman Colonel Ahmed Aly said in a statement yesterday, without specifying who his interlocutors were. Morsi loyalists have been holding two major sit-ins for more than a month, paralyzing parts of the capital and deepening divisions. Authorities have repeatedly called on them to go home, promising them a safe exit. However, supporters of Morsi see his July 3 ouster by the military as a violation of democracy and have insisted that nothing short of his reinstatement would end their protests.

Following a meeting with US Deputy Secretary of State William Burns, the political arm of Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood stressed its continued commitment to “legitimacy, which stipulates the return of the president, the constitution and the Shura Council,” or upper house of parliament. The US envoy’s visit, which followed trips by EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Catherine Ashton and German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle, was the latest move in a diplomatic drive to break the deadlock in Egypt. The Islamists’ latest declaration suggested that Burns’ visit had failed to shift their position. “We affirm our welcome of any political solutions proposed on the basis of constitutional legitimacy and rejection of the coup,” the Freedom and Justice Party said in a statement.

Burns has also met Egyptian Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy in a bid to broker a compromise between the two sides. Washington also kept up the pressure from afar, with US Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel urging al-Sisi to support an “inclusive political process,” the Pentagon said. The diplomatic push came as the Washington Post published an interview with al-Sisi, who lashed out at Washington, urging it to pressure Morsi supporters to end their rallies. Tensions spiked over a looming police bid to dismantle the pro-Morsi Cairo sit-ins. However, Fahmy insisted authorities have “no desire to use force if there is any other avenue that has not been exhausted.” “There is an open invitation for all political forces to participate. The door is open for everybody, including the Brotherhood, to participate in the process,” Fahmy told reporters. “If the political landscape does not have space for everyone, it cannot be an inclusive democracy,” he said.

Morsi has been formally remanded in custody on suspicion of offences committed when he broke out of prison during the 2011 revolt that toppled former president Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak. The Islamist leader, who has been held at an undisclosed location since the coup, refused to talk to the investigating judge in a meeting on Friday, said Mostafa Azab of the “Lawyers Against the Coup” movement. Morsi “refused to talk to him and told him he did not recognise any of the measures being taken against him,” Azab said, adding that the former president had refused to call a lawyer. The interior ministry has urged pro-Morsi demonstrators to go home, saying this would allow the Brotherhood to return to politics.

MORE

See also:

Trial Date Set for Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood Chief
August 04, 2013 > Egypt's military-backed interim government says it will put Muslim Brotherhood chief Mohammed Badie and one of his deputies on trial August 25 on charges of inciting violence.
Badie is at large while his deputy Khairat el-Shater is in a Cairo prison. They are accused of starting violence that led to the deaths of protesters outside Brotherhood headquarters in June - days before the military overthrew President Mohamed Morsi on July 3.

The Brotherhood and Morsi supporters have set-up two large round-the-clock vigils in Cairo, demanding his reinstatement. Police helicopters dropped flyers over one of the camps Sunday, telling the protesters that the Brotherhood has "mentally kidnapped" them. The message says police will not demonstrators if they go home now.

The interim government has threatened to break up the protest camps, but now says it wants to give time for mediation. It says there is a chance to end the protests without bloodshed while protecting the rights of all citizens. But it says the talks should take place in a "defined and limited" timeframe.

U.S. Deputy Secretary of State William Burns is in Cairo meeting with interim leaders. The United States is urging all sides in Egypt to stop the violence and put together a transitional government that includes all sides.

Trial Date Set for Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood Chief

I see the Egyptians have absolved themselves of all blame of voting the Muslim Brotherhood into power. Dummies.

I see the Egyptians have absolved themselves of all blame of voting the Muslim Brotherhood into power. Dummies.

What on earth are you talking about??!!

I don't know how many Egyptians you speak to or how recently you were in Egypt, but it seems to me it is all anyone talks about there!

What on earth are you talking about??!!

I don't know how many Egyptians you speak to or how recently you were in Egypt, but it seems to me it is all anyone talks about there!

There were open elections in Egypt last year. The Egyptian people voted the MB into power. Now that they don't like the MB, they are blaming Obama.

Ace -

I am sure you realise yourself that this isn't the case.

Morsi only got into power because the vote split three ways, and thus allowed a candidate with only around 30% real support to win. Most Egyptians did not vote for him, in other words.

Secondly, Obama is the least of Egypt's concerns. I know some Americans assume the rest of the world breathes according to what happpens in Washington, but in reality Egyptians care far more about their own domestic issues than they do what Bush or Obama thought/think.

Ace -

Morsi only got into power because the vote split three ways, and thus allowed a candidate with only around 30% real support to win. Most Egyptians did not vote for him, in other words.

Secondly, Obama is the least of Egypt's concerns. I know some Americans assume the rest of the world breathes according to what happpens in Washington, but in reality Egyptians care far more about their own domestic issues than they do what Bush or Obama thought/think.

I'm aware of what happened in the election. Unfortunately the Egyptians couldn't get their shit together at that time to back one candidate that would have kept the MB out of power.

You should explain the final paragraph to the righties around here. They think Obama is the world dictator. According to some, you'd think he appointed Morsi to power in Egypt.

Yes.

That is an important observation.

The details don't matter.

The important part is, their system and their alignment at the polls made this possible.

That outcome was purely an Egyptian internal matter.

And now they are making noises like it's America's fault or Obumble's fault?

Or blaming us (or him) for hesitating to support or acknowledge an overthrow such as the one they found themselves obliged to undertake after so short a time?

That's about as disingenuous and self-delusional and self-serving as it gets.

Could we have reacted differently to the overthrow?

Sure.

But, given how dicey such things are under even the best of circumstances, and given our own past experience in supporting military juntas, we can't be blamed for (finally!) reacting in a somewhat gun-shy manner about the Egyptian military aligning itself with the Opposition to Morsi and the Brotherhood.

Mind you, I'm delighted that the Brotherhood is out on its ass again - I think it's dangerous when actually in-power - and I'm delighted that the Egyptian People finally got their collective heads out of their asses and slapped-down that Constitution-wrecking Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood cronies - but I'm perplexed, and annoyed, that the Egyptians are 'channeling' at US over this.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the Egyptians couldn't get their shit together at that time to back one candidate that would have kept the MB out of power.

This would assume the other candidates were better options!! The military candidate, whose name I don't recall right now, was quite possibly worse!

You should explain the final paragraph to the righties around here. They think Obama is the world dictator. According to some, you'd think he appointed Morsi to power in Egypt.

I totally agree. I think it's easy in a big country like the US to see local media link every story back to the US and thus assume all global events take place only in reference to the US. I understand that Americans see Kerry shuttling back and forth between Palestinians and Israelis and think any deal - or lack thereof - is down to Kerry, but in reality there are a dozen other influences out there that never get mentioned in US media.

Bush did it while wearing an Obama costume, THAT is what happened :D

Really, as other posters have pointed out, they voted that idiot in. That is on them. We really provided nothing in the way of support there either. We did not play a significant role in the regime change. Now, if Iraq wanted to level claims at us at least that I can understand. We played a major role there. Egypt though – this is just worthless whining because they fucked up the first time. I am not sure why they are surprised though; it’s been a long time since they have been able to determine their own government. Nothing demands that they get it right the first time.

Ace -

Don't hand me no shit and don't tell me no LIE.

stop right now like anyone in Egypt didn't hear Obamas voice screaming for Mubarek to fucking bail?

Are you fucking nuts?

The world heard it you fucking asswipe.

Obama gave them Morsi. But they didn't know what they were getting did they now.

Ace -

stop right now like anyone in Egypt didn't hear Obamas voice screaming for Mubarek to fucking bail?

Are you fucking nuts?

Obama gave them Morsi. But they didn't know what they were getting did they now.

Are you fucking nuts? They didn't want Mubarak either!

Unfortunately the Egyptians couldn't get their shit together at that time to back one candidate that would have kept the MB out of power.

This would assume the other candidates were better options!! The military candidate, whose name I don't recall right now, was quite possibly worse!

I totally agree. I think it's easy in a big country like the US to see local media link every story back to the US and thus assume all global events take place only in reference to the US. I understand that Americans see Kerry shuttling back and forth between Palestinians and Israelis and think any deal - or lack thereof - is down to Kerry, but in reality there are a dozen other influences out there that never get mentioned in US media.

I knew who Morsi was and I'm just a soul who lives in Canada trying to grow jalapeno pepperss with a new puppy that's killing me.

Morsi you didn't know who your President O parachuted in?

Ace -

Are you fucking nuts?

Ace give me your stats on Mubarak.

Give me your poll numbers. You can't can you?

Don't give me your opinion because it means jack shit. Give me proof.

BTW lost in the crowd. The so called uprising was started by a Google executive. The whole Arab Spring started from a Google executive.

Right. So the election Morsi won had nothing to do with his becoming president.

Do try and post with just a little common sense - Obama had nothing whatsoever to do with Morsi even being a candidate, and you know it.

Ace -

Are you fucking nuts?

I had to come back and address this. Sheesh. It is wrong to lump Muslims together. Frankly it's idiotic. Did I spell that right?

I think our biggest mistake ever is that the media and hey its the left wing alphabet networks here try to make muslims look like they are all crazy and want to kill us. When I first came in here I linked constantly to Little Mosque on the Prairie so people could understand a different take on muslims.

Now no way on the planet am I getting on my knees 5 times a day....not even any of my ex husbands could get that out of me, but geeze louise we are talking people of faith.

And anyone who thinks they are Christian, maybe just maybe we could learn a lesson or two.

Right. So the election Morsi won had nothing to do with his becoming president.

Do try and post with just a little common sense - Obama had nothing whatsoever to do with Morsi even being a candidate, and you know it.

Do you know Morsi and his history and everything about him American? The so called Egyptian new leader?

Forum List

Back