Obama moves to save the honey bees, targets pesticides

Really, it isn't that important.

European honeybees aren't indiginous. If they are wiped out on this continent, it's no big deal. We have indiginous bees that will pick up the slack.

Yes European honeybees were imported to the USA because they increase crop yields 36.3 percent more than indigenous insects. The indigenous insect numbers are also down.

Imagine food price when there is 36.3 percent less food on the shelf & population is increasing.

There you go.

Our world is merging together in ways that people don't even realize.

There's more to life that political boundaries and differences in ideology and language.

As of this point in time, this is the only planet we can inhabit, it would make sense to get off our asses and be good stewards of this planet. But no, everytime a plethora of scientific studies USING FIELD TESTS tell us we have a problem, the Right had a kneejerk (well, I suppose it's a knee) and screams "Liberal" or "Nazi" or some such muck.

:cuckoo::cuckoo:

And your side is innocent of the same??????

I saw two sides playing politics with this, not one. I also noted a typical ideology of attacking the pesticide industry, which the info I posted was a factor but not the main one. I don't like people jumping to conclusions. I prefer the experts who are looking into this make the calls and not politics.

If we ban insecticides as other countries, will it cause other problems due to insects eating the crops, and what are the alternatives to protecting these crops should we ban them.

In the study you posted, it was a combination of two pesticides working in conjunction that had a major effect on the bees. Perhaps not using them in conjuction through crop management would do the same thing without banning the pesticide.

I don't know that answer and neither do you. So I'd like to let the experts decide if the positives outweigh the negatives of the solution.

Seriously, you people need some real anxiety, to take your minds off this fictional crap you are always coming up with.

Waiting for the study that says that european honey bees were imported because they increase crops by 36.333338421 percent.

Get on it, statist!

Bees are recovering:

Honey Bees Recovering in California | Care2 Healthy Living

What is funny is that the group who is so hysterical about preserving the native state of things apparently don't realize that the European Honeybee isn't even NATIVE to N. America.

We have an imported creature that wouldn't be present on the continent except for man's transportation of them from elsewhere...that has fluctuating population.

And the environmental protection agency needs to get involved? Are they protecting the environment from this invasive insect? Or are they just furthering their own interference in the natural order of things...and exerting control over industries that they know nothing about?

" Like most of the livestock associated with American farms, honey bees were imported by European settlers.
Prior to the arrival of the Old World settlers, honey bees were unknown to Native Americans. In fact, several early American writers, including Thomas Jefferson, reported that honey bees were called “white man's flies.” The name was recognition that the appearance of honey bees in America was associated with the arrival of the Europeans.
There was a close association between the westward migration of Europeans and the establishment of wild colonies of honey bees. Native Americans were said to have noticed that shortly after colonies of honey bees were discovered, white settlers would not be far behind. "

On Six Legs

the Domestic Bees are KG because they have someone that looks after the hives and Bees.....the Wild Bees and Butterflies are still having problems....and here in California they give the Beekeepers a map showing where Neonicotinoid Insecticides are being used.....and i dont think those are heavily used here....

According to this, the major killer is mites. And that thee mites have become resistant to pesticides.

The beetle causing more damage. So before you get into a rant on Pesticides, perhaps we need to look at this study and where they are today before banning pesticides. It seems that this study shows the major deaths are due to situations where the pesticides no longer work.

seems like all of it is a problem.....Not just the beetles.

And where did I say it wasn't all a problem.........It stated that mites were the major problem. And then cited Pesticide resistance being the major cause as the pesticides are no longer working to prevent the mites from killing the bees.

I glanced through this thread and saw the Major topic being pesticides and banning them. Yet this study does not cite it as the major problem.

Ball returned to your court.

well whats the point of using them if they don't work? from what i read we bred them to not groom each other, and thats why the mites have become such a problem. We dont even need pesticides for this. Just need to fix the breeding, which we are. Thats why domestic bee's are coming back.

A self-pollinating crop like soybeans shouldn’t have a need for bees. But recent research into the little-understood relationships between the two indicates there could be big bean yield benefits from bees.

Three examples of earlier research include:

• A short-term Canadian study found bees’ presence was associated with much higher yields in food-grade soybeans.
  • Australian researchers demonstrated yield increases of 10-40% in honey bee-pollinated soybeans, compared to self-pollinated beans.
  • In 2005, a Brazilian research project compared soybean seed production with and without honey bee colonies by raising plants in cages, and reported 50% higher yields when bees were present.

Waiting for the study that says that european honey bees were imported because they increase crops by 36.333338421 percent.

Get on it, statist!

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Waiting Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah european honey Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 36.333338421 Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah batshit crazy Koshergrl Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Now, back to the OP:

Obama moves to save the honey bees, targets pesticides

Last edited:
Has numbnuts ever heard of beekeepers? When I happen to run across bees while performing my duties as a pest control technician, I simply call my friend who specializes in gathering bees and transporting them out of harms way. No harm, no foul.

Too many regulations are showing their ugly head in this sordid, dreadful, administration. IMPEACH BARRY, NOW!!

You aren't making any sense.

No? What parts don't you comprehend? I'll be glad to put it in more simple, easy to understand, terms.

I worked with a guy who was a beekeeper. Interesting profession. He can remove honey bees from your house without killing them, and in the process use another hive to get all the honey from the walls using the bees. So you don't have to destroy your walls to get the honey combs and honey out of it.

The new hive robs the hive in the wall. Then the workers from the wall hive join the colony on the outside and steal everything from the hive you are trying to get rid of.

Pretty cool actually as if you just kill them all of that honey is still in the walls.

A self-pollinating crop like soybeans shouldn’t have a need for bees. But recent research into the little-understood relationships between the two indicates there could be big bean yield benefits from bees.

• A short-term Canadian study found bees’ presence was associated with much higher yields in food-grade soybeans.
  • Australian researchers demonstrated yield increases of 10-40% in honey bee-pollinated soybeans, compared to self-pollinated beans.
  • In 2005, a Brazilian research project compared soybean seed production with and without honey bee colonies by raising plants in cages, and reported 50% higher yields when bees were present.

:thup:

World's population: growing

smart people: working their asses off to find ways to get safer, higher yields.

Some stupid Righties: drill baby, drill and btw get the fuck off my lawn and fuck the bees, they ain't indigenous! And yeah, it's all Obama's fault.

Not even to mention the medicinal value of bees and their by-products.

seems like all of it is a problem.....Not just the beetles.

And where did I say it wasn't all a problem.........It stated that mites were the major problem. And then cited Pesticide resistance being the major cause as the pesticides are no longer working to prevent the mites from killing the bees.

I glanced through this thread and saw the Major topic being pesticides and banning them. Yet this study does not cite it as the major problem.

well whats the point of using them if they don't work? from what i read we bred them to not groom each other, and thats why the mites have become such a problem. We dont even need pesticides for this. Just need to fix the breeding, which we are. Thats why domestic bee's are coming back.

If something doesn't work then using them would be stupid of course. We either find something that works or the problem continues.

The pesticides that don't work on mites may work on field insects. So banning might not be the solution either.

No link.

And "bees" is not what we're talking about. I maintain that our native bees are doing okay.

It's the introduced EUROPEAN honey bees that are at risk.

Statist claims that we imported them because they increased crop yields..however, they were imported in 1622 and there is absolutely no evidence that their importation increased crop yields. The use of pesticides did more to increase crop yields than the EUROPEAN HONEYBEE.

How many of you on this forum think that Obama is a Muslim? If so, then you are not qualified to talk about science.

Do you think that Obama is a Marxist? Then you are not qualified to talk about science.

Do you think that the US had any chance of achieving a military victory in Afghanistan or Iraq? Then you are not qualified to talk about science.

Do you believe in the Bible? Then you are not qualified to talk about science.

It's that simple.

you should not be here talking period.....maybe Hemp will save the Honeybees.....

If something doesn't work then using them would be stupid of course. We either find something that works or the problem continues.

The pesticides that don't work on mites may work on field insects. So banning might not be the solution either.

i already gave a solution. at least for domestic bees.

Some stupid Righties: drill baby, drill and btw get the fuck off my lawn and fuck the bees, they ain't indigenous! And yeah, it's all Obama's fault.

Strawman off an OP that turned political in nature. Common here and everywhere. Your side doesn't own the solutions and your ego doesn't fix a damn thing.

Your side throws stones and gets some back.

I don't want any of the bees dying off. So I'm open to solutions, but not the rhetoric of attacking pesticides which might not have viable solutions to prevent other problems.

Drill baby drill. Damn skippy. It creates jobs, which is something we need in this country. We don't need our power bills to double either in the attack against fossil fuels.

Finally, the continent survived without the bees back then so they aren't the only part in this equation. I don't want them dying off, but understand a mud slinging match was ongoing and part of the mud when some defended pesticides and the industry.

I do not accept blanket BS. One study does not mean it's the ultimate solution, and banning pesticides may not be the main solution.

how many of you on this forum think that obama is a muslim? If so, then you are not qualified to talk about science.

Do you think that obama is a marxist? Then you are not qualified to talk about science.

Do you think that the us had any chance of achieving a military victory in afghanistan or iraq? Then you are not qualified to talk about science.

Do you believe in the bible? Then you are not qualified to talk about science.

It's that simple.

you should not be here talking period.....maybe hemp will save the honeybees.....

lmao!

Strawman off an OP that turned political in nature. Common here and everywhere. Your side doesn't own the solutions and your ego doesn't fix a damn thing.

Your side throws stones and gets some back.

I don't want any of the bees dying off. So I'm open to solutions, but not the rhetoric of attacking pesticides which might not have viable solutions to prevent other problems.

Drill baby drill. Damn skippy. It creates jobs, which is something we need in this country. We don't need our power bills to double either in the attack against fossil fuels.

Finally, the continent survived without the bees back then so they aren't the only part in this equation. I don't want them dying off, but understand a mud slinging match was ongoing and part of the mud when some defended pesticides and the industry.

I do not accept blanket BS. One study does not mean it's the ultimate solution, and banning pesticides may not be the main solution.

Keep working on that. There is hope for you yet.

I too want solutions and never even once did I say that pesticides are the only cause of this mystery, now did I....

OH, and you are right: the continent survived without bees way back when. But will WE? Aye, that is the rub, indeed.

Still waiting Statist.

Kindly provide the verification that we imported European honeybees because they increased crop yields by 36.333317 percent..in 1677.

Lol.

And show us how imported European honey bees (that don't pollinate native crops) have increased crop yields more than modern pesticides, while you're at it.

Really, it isn't that important.

European honeybees aren't indiginous. If they are wiped out on this continent, it's no big deal. We have indiginous bees that will pick up the slack.

Kosh if its a virus or a Mite ....those things can spread to wild bees too...the Show i saw said they have already.....and if its insecticide that can affect them too....other Pollinators are also getting hit like Butterflies....lots of things being sprayed out there....im sure they are not all harmless no matter what those companies are saying....out here the State lets the Bee keepers and other growers know what is being sprayed and where.....

Forum List

Back