Obama nominates openly gay man to lead Army

This guy has already been in this sort of work for years. Successfully. His 'gayness' as a liability has already been shown to be non-existent.

Great, I hope he is successful.

The question in the OP was whether he was the most qualified for the job, or whether his appointment was some kind of PC statement from obama.

And when are you going to address the topic of the OP?

Fanning has served as the deputy undersecretary and deputy chief management officer for the Department of the Navy, deputy director of the Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism, undersecretary of the Air Force, and later as the acting U.S. secretary of the Air Force. Most recently he served as chief of staff to the secretary of Defense and acting undersecretary of the Army.

He does not sound like he is totally without a clue how things work.
It would appear that he does have at least minimal qualifications to do the job.
Now providing he does the job as required and with the best interest of the country in mind, what difference does it make who he chooses to commit himself to in a personal relationship.

If he keeps his sexuality out of his job, fine. Do you really think he will do that?

Like what? Not showing up with his partner at a social gathering of his co-workers, where most of them are accompanied by their opposite sex spouses and significant others?

I don't care if he takes his boyfriend to a social gathering. But I don't want him having a pro-gay agenda as part of being secretary of the army.

Tell us what the single most disturbing (to you) component of the 'pro-gay agenda' is.

Its intolerance of anyone who disagrees with it and its open attack on Christianity.

I don't give a flying shit what two adults do in private. But I don't want those activities displayed on the streets as they are in SFO and occaisionally here in NOLA.

This guy has already been in this sort of work for years. Successfully. His 'gayness' as a liability has already been shown to be non-existent.

The question in the OP was whether he was the most qualified for the job, or whether his appointment was some kind of PC statement from obama.

Its really not important enough to me to research his background and the backgrounds of all other candidates (I assume there were other candidates)

Fanning has served as the deputy undersecretary and deputy chief management officer for the Department of the Navy, deputy director of the Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism, undersecretary of the Air Force, and later as the acting U.S. secretary of the Air Force. Most recently he served as chief of staff to the secretary of Defense and acting undersecretary of the Army.

It would appear that he does have at least minimal qualifications to do the job.
Now providing he does the job as required and with the best interest of the country in mind, what difference does it make who he chooses to commit himself to in a personal relationship.

If he keeps his sexuality out of his job, fine. Do you really think he will do that?

Like what? Not showing up with his partner at a social gathering of his co-workers, where most of them are accompanied by their opposite sex spouses and significant others?

I don't care if he takes his boyfriend to a social gathering. But I don't want him having a pro-gay agenda as part of being secretary of the army.

Tell us what the single most disturbing (to you) component of the 'pro-gay agenda' is.

Its intolerance of anyone who disagrees with it and its open attack on Christianity.

I don't give a flying shit what two adults do in private. But I don't want those activities displayed on the streets as they are in SFO and occaisionally here in NOLA.
I dont want it displayed on the streets either, but then again I dont really want to see hetero couples showing extreme affection in public either.

Why don't you research his qualifications before you start a thread? Can you give your bigotry a ten minute rest, or is that too much?

Because I don't have to....
I'm not a bigot either- you don't even know me......

You are the bigot (defined: person who is intolerant of others who hold a differing opinion)

I'm just asking the question, you are on the attack.

You don't have to know anything about the guy to engage in a discussion about him? lol,good one.

People can also engage in conversation to learn. So, no, you don't have to know...

You could have learned from reading your own link.

Like I said, I did read the link, I was just countering your comment that someone has to do research on any topic before starting a thread.... reading 1 article is not research (in my mind...)
This is typical of the intellectual laziness common to most on the right, their disdain for critical thinking, research, and a desire to discover the facts of an issue.

No, one is at liberty to start a thread absent any research at all.

Of course, the thread author has only himself to blame when the premise of his thread is completely destroyed as a consequence of his ignorance of the topic – indeed, it happens quite often, this thread being one of many examples.
Assumed office
June 30, 2015
President Barack Obama
Preceded by Brad Carson
Chief of Staff to the U.S. Secretary of Defense
In office

February 17, 2015 – June 30, 2015
President Barack Obama
Preceded by Mark Lippert
Succeeded by Eric Rosenbach
24th Under Secretary of the Air Force
In office

April 18, 2013 – February 17, 2015
President Barack Obama
Preceded by Erin C. Conaton
Succeeded by Lisa S. Disbrow
Acting United States Secretary of the Air Force
In office

June 2013 – December 2013
Succeeded by Lisa S. Disbrow (acting)
Personal details
Born
Eric Kenneth Fanning
July 2, 1968 (age 47)
Kalamazoo, Michigan, U.S.
Alma mater Dartmouth College (B.A.)
Occupation government official
Eric Fanning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Let's see. He has never served in the Armed Forces, his military related experience has a span of 2 years. Sounds like a good choice for leading the largest branch of the US military. Well qualified, I am sure any general officer would be lesser qualified.

In the 1990s, he was on the staff of the House Armed Services Committee and later a special assistant in the Immediate Office of the Secretary of Defense. He later served as Associate Director of Political Affairs at the White House.

He also worked at Business Executives for National Security, a Washington, D.C.–based think-tank and at Robinson, Lerer & Montgomery, a strategic communications firm in New York City.

He served as Deputy Under Secretary and Deputy Chief Management Officer for the Department of the Navy beginning in July 2009. He was also Deputy Director of the Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism.[8]

Interesting but not surprising you left out that part of his history.

Of course, the thread author has only himself to blame when the premise of his thread is completely destroyed as a consequence of his ignorance of the topic – indeed, it happens quite often, this thread being one of many examples.
Assumed office
June 30, 2015
President Barack Obama
Preceded by Brad Carson
In office

President Barack Obama
Preceded by Mark Lippert
In office

President Barack Obama
In office

Personal details
Born
Eric Kenneth Fanning
July 2, 1968 (age 47)
Let's see. He has never served in the Armed Forces, his military related experience has a span of 2 years. Sounds like a good choice for leading the largest branch of the US military. Well qualified, I am sure any general officer would be lesser qualified.

If that is correct then he was clearly NOT the most qualified and this was another Obama in-your-face appointment.

Its really not important enough to me to research his background and the backgrounds of all other candidates (I assume there were other candidates)
and there is the question that the OP asked. Is he the best qualified or did he get awarded that position based on his sexual preference. I find no reason to think that being gay is going to make someone less qualified to do a job than being straight.

and there is the question that the OP asked. Is he the best qualified or did he get awarded that position based on his sexual preference. I find no reason to think that being gay is going to make someone less qualified to do a job than being straight.

I agree, and the biography that someone else posted does not convince me that he was the best qualified. So do you think it was the other criteria?

Because I don't have to....
I'm not a bigot either- you don't even know me......

You are the bigot (defined: person who is intolerant of others who hold a differing opinion)

I'm just asking the question, you are on the attack.

You don't have to know anything about the guy to engage in a discussion about him? lol,good one.

People can also engage in conversation to learn. So, no, you don't have to know...

You could have learned from reading your own link.

Like I said, I did read the link, I was just countering your comment that someone has to do research on any topic before starting a thread.... reading 1 article is not research (in my mind...)
This is typical of the intellectual laziness common to most on the right, their disdain for critical thinking, research, and a desire to discover the facts of an issue.

Again, opinions vary, and since you don't know me, your logic leap is flawed.
Talk about intellectual laziness.... broad brush generalizations of a group? Seriously...?
Your arrogant speak only makes you look arrogant....

in other words he should be a bigot. wanting to be treated the same as everyone else isn't a "pro-gay agenda". and the problem with the wacky right is that you think it is.

equal treatment is not pro or anti gay. It is equal.

Being able to live your life in accordance with your religious and cultural beliefs is also a measure of equality. You libs support that for muslims, but not for Christians--------can you explain that?

Assumed office
June 30, 2015
President Barack Obama
Preceded by Brad Carson
In office

President Barack Obama
Preceded by Mark Lippert
In office

President Barack Obama
In office

Personal details
Born
Eric Kenneth Fanning
July 2, 1968 (age 47)

In the 1990s, he was on the staff of the House Armed Services Committee and later a special assistant in the Immediate Office of the Secretary of Defense. He later served as Associate Director of Political Affairs at the White House.

He also worked at Business Executives for National Security, a Washington, D.C.–based think-tank and at Robinson, Lerer & Montgomery, a strategic communications firm in New York City.

He served as Deputy Under Secretary and Deputy Chief Management Officer for the Department of the Navy beginning in July 2009. He was also Deputy Director of the Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism.[8]

Interesting but not surprising you left out that part of his history.

...in what capacity? Mail room attendant... janitor...policy maker..or what?

Forum List

Back