Obama Thinks You Should Have The Right To Take A Sick Day

Thank you president Obama! We need to catch up to the rest of the civilized world.

Written in true loony-left language. We have always had the right to sick days. Obama misuses his authority to require others to pay for them.

How has Obama abused his authority?

Meddling with labor market dynamics. Our employer/employee system is different from other countries. Place another costly burden on biz will yield higher prices which are particularly burdensome to those least able to afford them (not that one such as you seems to care).

Thank you president Obama! We need to catch up to the rest of the civilized world.

Written in true loony-left language. We have always had the right to sick days. Obama misuses his authority to require others to pay for them.
38 Percent Of U.S. Workers Have No Paid Sick Leave

I can't find the "paid sick leave" requirement in our constitution.

How has Obama abused his authority?

Meddling with labor market dynamics. Our employer/employee system is different from other countries. Place another costly burden on biz will yield higher prices which are particularly burdensome to those least able to afford them (not that one such as you seems to care).

Oh my god, is this the same argument against the minimum wage?

As conservatives rally round the American worker again
im all for people having at least 5 days RW....i used to get 13 a year and was able to bank whatever i did not use......i used to deliver to places were people came in sick because they did not get paid sick leave,all that does is possibly spread it to the others that work there,hey that makes sense i guess.........

Again, I don't think anyone complaining about not getting S/L is a slave.

Go find another job with the benefits you want

Simple as hell

-Geaux

President Barack Obama will announce an executive order on Monday that will require all federal contractors to grant at least seven days of paid sick leave. He will also urge Congress to pass the Healthy Families Act, sponsored by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT). The bill was introduced in the House of Representatives in March 2013, but hasn’t moved since being referred to the Subcommittee on Workplace Protections in April 2013. It would require all companies with more than 15 employees to allow at least seven days of paid sick leave.

Besides providing time for employees to recover from illness, those sick days could also be used to access preventative care, take care of a sick family member, seek assistance related to a domestic violence incident, or to go to school meetings when their child has health problems or special needs. The announcement will be made at a rally in Boston.

As many as 40 percent of private sector workers and 70 percent of low-income workers don’t have any paid sick days. Sick leave is an important labor issue for women in particular, since female family members are often the ones who spend more time taking care of children, parents, and other family members. Women who took on many of these caretaking responsibilities were also less likely to be employed, while men’s employment status remained the same, according to the National Institute on Aging.

Working women, especially Latino women, low-wage workers, and employees with less formal education are the least likely to have access to paid sick leave and family leave, according to 2014 research published in the medical journal The Gerontologist. Hispanic workers have less access to paid sick leave than other any other racial group, at 43 percent, compared with 62 percent of Asian workers, 61 percent of African American workers, and 59 percent of white workers, They also rarely have access to unpaid leave, according to The Center for American Progress.

Although there isn’t a federal law requiring paid sick leave, there has been progress on the state and local level. New York City, Jersey City, New Jersey, and Portland, Oregon passed laws allowing for paid sick leave in 2013. More recently, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania passed a law requiring businesses with 15 or more employees to provide five paid sick days. Seattle, San Francisco, and Connecticut also provide paid sick leave, and there is evidence that job growth has actuallyimproved after the laws took effect.
Because no company anywhere gives its employess sick days.
Yet another measure to make America less competitive, to saddle business with onerous regulations, to make people poorer and government more powerful.
And the left wing rubes eat that shit up.

ok ya wana be like the rest of the world lower corporate taxes also
I see no problem with that, we have to close the loopholes and all of that first. We also need incentives so jobs stay here, the government is the most efficient way to do this.
You clearly do not understand what you are talking about.
What "loopholes" would you like to see closed?

As conservatives rally round the American worker again
we have a work ethic unlike your lazy ### president
tyrone i seen those guys with that work ethic,come to work with the flu and pass it on to those they work by....fuck that shit,that makes things worse....give them a few days off with pay so they will stay home instead of making 3-4 others sick...

I don't know about everyone else, but I just as soon 'earn' something rather than just having it given to me.

I have pride

-Geaux

President Barack Obama will announce an executive order on Monday that will require all federal contractors to grant at least seven days of paid sick leave. He will also urge Congress to pass the Healthy Families Act, sponsored by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT). The bill was introduced in the House of Representatives in March 2013, but hasn’t moved since being referred to the Subcommittee on Workplace Protections in April 2013. It would require all companies with more than 15 employees to allow at least seven days of paid sick leave.

Besides providing time for employees to recover from illness, those sick days could also be used to access preventative care, take care of a sick family member, seek assistance related to a domestic violence incident, or to go to school meetings when their child has health problems or special needs. The announcement will be made at a rally in Boston.

As many as 40 percent of private sector workers and 70 percent of low-income workers don’t have any paid sick days. Sick leave is an important labor issue for women in particular, since female family members are often the ones who spend more time taking care of children, parents, and other family members. Women who took on many of these caretaking responsibilities were also less likely to be employed, while men’s employment status remained the same, according to the National Institute on Aging.

Working women, especially Latino women, low-wage workers, and employees with less formal education are the least likely to have access to paid sick leave and family leave, according to 2014 research published in the medical journal The Gerontologist. Hispanic workers have less access to paid sick leave than other any other racial group, at 43 percent, compared with 62 percent of Asian workers, 61 percent of African American workers, and 59 percent of white workers, They also rarely have access to unpaid leave, according to The Center for American Progress.

Although there isn’t a federal law requiring paid sick leave, there has been progress on the state and local level. New York City, Jersey City, New Jersey, and Portland, Oregon passed laws allowing for paid sick leave in 2013. More recently, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania passed a law requiring businesses with 15 or more employees to provide five paid sick days. Seattle, San Francisco, and Connecticut also provide paid sick leave, and there is evidence that job growth has actuallyimproved after the laws took effect.
Because no company anywhere gives its employess sick days.
Yet another measure to make America less competitive, to saddle business with onerous regulations, to make people poorer and government more powerful.
And the left wing rubes eat that shit up.
The left's motto is to punish success, they can't deny that.

Oh my god, is this the same argument against the minimum wage?

Indeed. Our labor market naturally balances. Walmart pays its average, full-time hourly wage earners $13/hr (part-timers average $10) not because they want to but because it's what free-market labor costs. All go up a buck in February. The market works best without federal gov't meddling. The min wage issue is a union one as many of their work contracts are based on a min wage plus system.

Forum List

Back