Obama Thinks You Should Have The Right To Take A Sick Day

As conservatives rally round the American worker again
we have a work ethic unlike your lazy ### president

What about with a broken arm? leg? phenomena?

Workmans comp

-Geaux

And if you aren't injured while performing your job?

Obamacare

Oh, Obamacare pays for lost wages? Really, this is where you want to go?

By far the stupidest post of the day.

we have a work ethic unlike your lazy ### president

What about with a broken arm? leg? phenomena?

Workmans comp

-Geaux

And if you aren't injured while performing your job?

Obamacare

Oh, Obamacare pays for lost wages? Really, this is where you want to go?

I never said that.

Why would we expect that to be?

-Geaux

I have had paid sick days at every job I have had as usual the government is playing catch up.

Then this doesn't matter to you and you get the day off.
I rather doubt you have given it any serious thought before you ran across this thread.

I'm still trying to understand what your point is. Someone else posted that 38% of workers do not have paid sick leave. You come bumbling in saying it doesn't matter because you got yours. It's not really about you.
I suspect there is a lot you have trouble understanding so let me spell it out for you I know of no companies that don't offer paid sick leave outside of small mom and pop operations.

Meddling with labor market dynamics. Our employer/employee system is different from other countries. Place another costly burden on biz will yield higher prices which are particularly burdensome to those least able to afford them (not that one such as you seems to care).

Oh my god, is this the same argument against the minimum wage?

Indeed. Our labor market naturally balances. Walmart pays its average, full-time hourly wage earners $13/hr (part-timers average $10) not because they want to but because it's what free-market labor costs. All go up a buck in February. The market works best without federal gov't meddling. The min wage issue is a union one as many of their work contracts are based on a min wage plus system.

Our labor market naturally balances? To what? Many of Walmart's employees are on some sort of public assistance.

Without Walmart they would have no job at all and millions would have to pay higher prices for that which they get cheaply at Walmart.
Considering who shops there, I'd say you are just anti-poor people.

Customers would have to pay whole cents on the dollar. In the meantime everyone gets to subsidize Walmart through taxes, whether they shop there or not. Can you smell the American dream in that?

What are your feelings on welfare and taxes anyway?

Thank you president Obama! We need to catch up to the rest of the civilized world. Even if this only applies to federal contractors, it's a great first step.
President Barack Obama will announce an executive order on Monday that will require all federal contractors to grant at least seven days of paid sick leave. He will also urge Congress to pass the Healthy Families Act, sponsored by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT). The bill was introduced in the House of Representatives in March 2013, but hasn’t moved since being referred to the Subcommittee on Workplace Protections in April 2013. It would require all companies with more than 15 employees to allow at least seven days of paid sick leave.

Besides providing time for employees to recover from illness, those sick days could also be used to access preventative care, take care of a sick family member, seek assistance related to a domestic violence incident, or to go to school meetings when their child has health problems or special needs. The announcement will be made at a rally in Boston.

As many as 40 percent of private sector workers and 70 percent of low-income workers don’t have any paid sick days. Sick leave is an important labor issue for women in particular, since female family members are often the ones who spend more time taking care of children, parents, and other family members. Women who took on many of these caretaking responsibilities were also less likely to be employed, while men’s employment status remained the same, according to the National Institute on Aging.

Working women, especially Latino women, low-wage workers, and employees with less formal education are the least likely to have access to paid sick leave and family leave, according to 2014 research published in the medical journal The Gerontologist. Hispanic workers have less access to paid sick leave than other any other racial group, at 43 percent, compared with 62 percent of Asian workers, 61 percent of African American workers, and 59 percent of white workers, They also rarely have access to unpaid leave, according to The Center for American Progress.

Although there isn’t a federal law requiring paid sick leave, there has been progress on the state and local level. New York City, Jersey City, New Jersey, and Portland, Oregon passed laws allowing for paid sick leave in 2013. More recently, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania passed a law requiring businesses with 15 or more employees to provide five paid sick days. Seattle, San Francisco, and Connecticut also provide paid sick leave, and there is evidence that job growth has actuallyimproved after the laws took effect.
Thanks, Mr Obama.
We've always been the kind of country that has strived to be like the rest of the world
:clap2:

:cuckoo:

Do you know WHY companies stopped making 'sick days' a benefit?
Of course you don't. I'm sorry.......1,500 posts in a month, you obviously don't have a job.

But, anyway, it's because people abused it and that puts more of a burden on your co-workers,
I know you dembulbs don't care about that....just so long as you get something fucking "free"

I get paid sick days. No need for a law to make it happen.
the 50's called and asked for obama

What is the statistics about the riches counties in America all around washington dc.

the left says the rich don't need more money in the form of tax breaks
maybe those rich counties don't need days off.

Those bastard employers! Don't work for them. Work for someone who gives you paid sick time off.
Yeah, 38% of american workers will suddenly be able to up and leave to these non-existent employers. Have you looked at the numbers bub?

They waited to long. Therefore, unintended consequences

That's why you put a little away for a 'rainy day' my mom used to say.

-Geaux

Thank you president Obama! We need to catch up to the rest of the civilized world. Even if this only applies to federal contractors, it's a great first step.
President Barack Obama will announce an executive order on Monday that will require all federal contractors to grant at least seven days of paid sick leave. He will also urge Congress to pass the Healthy Families Act, sponsored by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT). The bill was introduced in the House of Representatives in March 2013, but hasn’t moved since being referred to the Subcommittee on Workplace Protections in April 2013. It would require all companies with more than 15 employees to allow at least seven days of paid sick leave.

Besides providing time for employees to recover from illness, those sick days could also be used to access preventative care, take care of a sick family member, seek assistance related to a domestic violence incident, or to go to school meetings when their child has health problems or special needs. The announcement will be made at a rally in Boston.

As many as 40 percent of private sector workers and 70 percent of low-income workers don’t have any paid sick days. Sick leave is an important labor issue for women in particular, since female family members are often the ones who spend more time taking care of children, parents, and other family members. Women who took on many of these caretaking responsibilities were also less likely to be employed, while men’s employment status remained the same, according to the National Institute on Aging.

Working women, especially Latino women, low-wage workers, and employees with less formal education are the least likely to have access to paid sick leave and family leave, according to 2014 research published in the medical journal The Gerontologist. Hispanic workers have less access to paid sick leave than other any other racial group, at 43 percent, compared with 62 percent of Asian workers, 61 percent of African American workers, and 59 percent of white workers, They also rarely have access to unpaid leave, according to The Center for American Progress.

Although there isn’t a federal law requiring paid sick leave, there has been progress on the state and local level. New York City, Jersey City, New Jersey, and Portland, Oregon passed laws allowing for paid sick leave in 2013. More recently, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania passed a law requiring businesses with 15 or more employees to provide five paid sick days. Seattle, San Francisco, and Connecticut also provide paid sick leave, and there is evidence that job growth has actuallyimproved after the laws took effect.
Thanks, Mr Obama.
We've always been the kind of country that has strived to be like the rest of the world
:clap2:

:cuckoo:

Do you know WHY companies stopped making 'sick days' a benefit?
Of course you don't. I'm sorry.......1,500 posts in a month, you obviously don't have a job.

But, anyway, it's because people abused it and that puts more of a burden on your co-workers,
I know you dembulbs don't care about that....just so long as you get something fucking "free"
What?

I have had paid sick days at every job I have had as usual the government is playing catch up.

I rather doubt you have given it any serious thought before you ran across this thread.

I'm still trying to understand what your point is. Someone else posted that 38% of workers do not have paid sick leave. You come bumbling in saying it doesn't matter because you got yours. It's not really about you.
I suspect there is a lot you have trouble understanding so let me spell it out for you I know of no companies that don't offer paid sick leave outside of small mom and pop operations.

Right, so we are still at that 38% number.

Yeah, 38% of american workers will suddenly be able to up and leave to these non-existent employers. Have you looked at the numbers bub?

Stop worrying about 38% of Americans and worry about yourself. Don't work for those bastard employers, and go work for someone who gives you paid sick time. When the employers feel the pressure because they can't keep employees, they'll adjust their compensation package.

Oh, and how many of those 38% have some other kind of option? I once had a job where we had no paid "sick time" but had a generous helping of generic paid time off. It was great. Most jobs don't allow you to be paid for unused sick time. The extra PTO time allowed us to enjoy more R&R.

Meddling with labor market dynamics. Our employer/employee system is different from other countries. Place another costly burden on biz will yield higher prices which are particularly burdensome to those least able to afford them (not that one such as you seems to care).

Oh my god, is this the same argument against the minimum wage?

Indeed. Our labor market naturally balances. Walmart pays its average, full-time hourly wage earners $13/hr (part-timers average $10) not because they want to but because it's what free-market labor costs. All go up a buck in February. The market works best without federal gov't meddling. The min wage issue is a union one as many of their work contracts are based on a min wage plus system.

Our labor market naturally balances? To what? Many of Walmart's employees are on some sort of public assistance.

Without Walmart they would have no job at all and millions would have to pay higher prices for that which they get cheaply at Walmart.
Considering who shops there, I'd say you are just anti-poor people.

Customers would have to pay whole cents on the dollar. In the meantime everyone gets to subsidize Walmart, whether they shop there or not. Can you smell the American dream in that?

You neither know that to be factual nor is it your decision to make for employers, however you have the right in America to establish your own biz, pay your people twice the going rate for their positions and give them a paid month vacation, a month of sick leave, and a 4 hour work day (with a 2 hour paid lunch).
Isn't America grand? :biggrin:

Right, so we are still at that 38% number.

And this is a problem just why again?

-Geaux

Thank you president Obama! We need to catch up to the rest of the civilized world.

This is America where the civilized world rightfully does not apply.

We have the tools we need here thank you.

Go ahead and take off sick, you'll just not get paid, Take enough of them and you will be released due to Medical unavailability.

Obama has many stupid ideas that never see the light of day.

This should be part of that list

-Geaux

If someone kneecaps you ,you will be the first one to crying about not have paid sick days

Stop worrying about 38% of Americans and worry about yourself. Don't work for those bastard employers, and go work for someone who gives you paid sick time. When the employers feel the pressure because they can't keep employees, they'll adjust their compensation package.

Oh, and how many of those 38% have some other kind of option? I once had a job where we had no paid "sick time" but had a generous helping of generic paid time off. It was great. Most jobs don't allow you to be paid for unused sick time. The extra PTO time allowed us to enjoy more R&R.
I do worry about myself, but I also know that we can easily offer paid sick leave to workers live every other damn country. Yes, 38% of americans can suddenly up and leave, socio-economic conditions obviously don't apply here. Jesus christ..

I do worry about myself, but I also know that we can easily offer paid sick leave to workers live every other damn country. Yes, 38% of americans can suddenly up and leave, socio-economic conditions obviously don't apply here. Jesus christ..

Not only are our borders open coming in, but going out also.

I'm sure the immigration laws from the countries you retort would welcome you with open arms

-Geaux

Forum List

Back