Obama Thinks You Should Have The Right To Take A Sick Day

Those bastard employers! Don't work for them. Work for someone who gives you paid sick time off.
Yeah, 38% of american workers will suddenly be able to up and leave to these non-existent employers. Have you looked at the numbers bub?

They waited to long. Therefore, unintended consequences

That's why you put a little away for a 'rainy day' my mom used to say.

-Geaux

Then you get cancer. Not the kind where you sit in a hospital and die in 6 months. No the kind that slowly eats away at the lining in your stomach, or devours you from the colon. Last for years. In the meantime, you have to keep working, maybe you have kids, a house payment or both. So, you work and work and work. However, you still have to go to the doctor, you still have those days where you just can't get out of bed and just to to rest. At this point it doesn't really matter whether you work at Walmart, McDonalds or a fortune 500 company, a little dignity and the opportunity to continue to contribute at your place of employment go along way.

I can't imagine anyone who doesn't understand this.

I do worry about myself, but I also know that we can easily offer paid sick leave to workers live every other damn country. Yes, 38% of americans can suddenly up and leave, socio-economic conditions obviously don't apply here. Jesus christ..

No, Comrade, you don't know that all employers can "afford" added costs ... you just assume it.

I do worry about myself, but I also know that we can easily offer paid sick leave to workers live every other damn country. Yes, 38% of americans can suddenly up and leave, socio-economic conditions obviously don't apply here. Jesus christ..

No, Comrade, you don't know that all employers can "afford" added costs ... you just assume it.
You honestly believe businesses would collapse if they had to give workers 7 days of paid sick leave? The same end of world bullshit that cons spread every time something to benefit labor is brought up.

Those bastard employers! Don't work for them. Work for someone who gives you paid sick time off.
Yeah, 38% of american workers will suddenly be able to up and leave to these non-existent employers. Have you looked at the numbers bub?

-Geaux

Then you get cancer. Not the kind where you sit in a hospital and die in 6 months. No the kind that slowly eats away at the lining in your stomach, or devours you from the colon. Last for years. In the meantime, you have to keep working, maybe you have kids, a house payment or both. So, you work and work and work. However, you still have to go to the doctor, you still have those days where you just can't get out of bed and just to to rest. At this point it doesn't really matter whether you work at Walmart, McDonalds or a fortune 500 company, a little dignity and the opportunity to continue to contribute at your place of employment go along way.

Ouch.. Ugly....,

I'll eat my 45 way before I become a heap like ^^^^^^^^^ that ^^^^^^^^^^

-Geaux

Oh my god, is this the same argument against the minimum wage?

Indeed. Our labor market naturally balances. Walmart pays its average, full-time hourly wage earners $13/hr (part-timers average $10) not because they want to but because it's what free-market labor costs. All go up a buck in February. The market works best without federal gov't meddling. The min wage issue is a union one as many of their work contracts are based on a min wage plus system.

Our labor market naturally balances? To what? Many of Walmart's employees are on some sort of public assistance.

Without Walmart they would have no job at all and millions would have to pay higher prices for that which they get cheaply at Walmart.
Considering who shops there, I'd say you are just anti-poor people.

Customers would have to pay whole cents on the dollar. In the meantime everyone gets to subsidize Walmart, whether they shop there or not. Can you smell the American dream in that?

You neither know that to be factual nor is it your decision to make for employers, however you have the right in America to establish your own biz, pay your people twice the going rate for their positions and give them a paid month vacation, a month of sick leave, and a 4 hour work day (with a 2 hour paid lunch).
Isn't America grand? :biggrin:

How much does it cost to cover a sick day? Do you know? You're the one who was making the point.

-Geaux

Ouch.. Ugly....,

I'll eat my 45 way before I become a heap like ^^^^^^^^^ that ^^^^^^^^^^

-Geaux

That's a great motto for the American way. 'Feel like shit? Blow your brains out". Good luck with that, may your aim be true.

You act like everyone should be selfish, then again, not surprising.

You act like that's a bad thing.
It is a bad thing, do you want a world dominated by greed where we allow starving people to die so we can acquire more and more material wealth as individuals?

I prefer an America based on merit and opportunity rather than gov't-distorted markets. You seem to see starving people dying and a "world dominated by greed" while I see loony leftists who doggedly chip away at that which made America great ... ambition, opportunity, creativity, courage and FREEDOM.

Last edited:
You act like everyone should be selfish, then again, not surprising.

You act like that's a bad thing.
It is a bad thing, do you want a world dominated by greed where we allow starving people to die so we can acquire more and more material wealth as individuals?

I prefer an America based on merit and opportunity rather than gov't-distorted markets. You seem to see starving people dying and a "world dominated by greed" while I see loony leftists who doggedly chipp away at that which has made America great ... ambition, opportunity, creativity and FREEDOM.
That's all you respond with? America is based on merit and opportunity, markets were free to thrive, didn't work out to well for american workers, it's why labor uprisings happened all the time.

If ever diagnosed with cancer, I eat a shotgun immediately.

Why wait? And, if you have kids and this is your immediate thought, they're probably better without you.

Why wait?
:muahaha:

Thank you president Obama! We need to catch up to the rest of the civilized world.
President Barack Obama will announce an executive order on Monday that will require all federal contractors to grant at least seven days of paid sick leave. He will also urge Congress to pass the Healthy Families Act, sponsored by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT). The bill was introduced in the House of Representatives in March 2013, but hasn’t moved since being referred to the Subcommittee on Workplace Protections in April 2013. It would require all companies with more than 15 employees to allow at least seven days of paid sick leave.

Besides providing time for employees to recover from illness, those sick days could also be used to access preventative care, take care of a sick family member, seek assistance related to a domestic violence incident, or to go to school meetings when their child has health problems or special needs. The announcement will be made at a rally in Boston.

As many as 40 percent of private sector workers and 70 percent of low-income workers don’t have any paid sick days. Sick leave is an important labor issue for women in particular, since female family members are often the ones who spend more time taking care of children, parents, and other family members. Women who took on many of these caretaking responsibilities were also less likely to be employed, while men’s employment status remained the same, according to the National Institute on Aging.

Working women, especially Latino women, low-wage workers, and employees with less formal education are the least likely to have access to paid sick leave and family leave, according to 2014 research published in the medical journal The Gerontologist. Hispanic workers have less access to paid sick leave than other any other racial group, at 43 percent, compared with 62 percent of Asian workers, 61 percent of African American workers, and 59 percent of white workers, They also rarely have access to unpaid leave, according to The Center for American Progress.

Although there isn’t a federal law requiring paid sick leave, there has been progress on the state and local level. New York City, Jersey City, New Jersey, and Portland, Oregon passed laws allowing for paid sick leave in 2013. More recently, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania passed a law requiring businesses with 15 or more employees to provide five paid sick days. Seattle, San Francisco, and Connecticut also provide paid sick leave, and there is evidence that job growth has actuallyimproved after the laws took effect.
Because no company anywhere gives its employess sick days.
Yet another measure to make America less competitive, to saddle business with onerous regulations, to make people poorer and government more powerful.
And the left wing rubes eat that shit up.
38% of american workers get no paid sick leave.
And this changes that, how?
So what? Lots of American workers dont get pension plans or health insurance either. WHo says you are entitled to any of that shit?
The rest of the civilized world guarantees healthcare to all, paid sick leave, maternity leave.. I believe that they should get these things. Something called decency.
It's nice being decent on someone else's dime. Makes you a real philanthropist.
The rest of the civilized world is stuck in slow growth and hgh unemployment with educated people fleeing in droves. If you want another Euro-shithole just move to Belgium, 'kay?

Indeed. Our labor market naturally balances. Walmart pays its average, full-time hourly wage earners $13/hr (part-timers average $10) not because they want to but because it's what free-market labor costs. All go up a buck in February. The market works best without federal gov't meddling. The min wage issue is a union one as many of their work contracts are based on a min wage plus system.

Our labor market naturally balances? To what? Many of Walmart's employees are on some sort of public assistance.

Without Walmart they would have no job at all and millions would have to pay higher prices for that which they get cheaply at Walmart.
Considering who shops there, I'd say you are just anti-poor people.

Customers would have to pay whole cents on the dollar. In the meantime everyone gets to subsidize Walmart, whether they shop there or not. Can you smell the American dream in that?

You neither know that to be factual nor is it your decision to make for employers, however you have the right in America to establish your own biz, pay your people twice the going rate for their positions and give them a paid month vacation, a month of sick leave, and a 4 hour work day (with a 2 hour paid lunch).
Isn't America grand? :biggrin:

How much does it cost to cover a sick day? Do you know? You're the one who was making the point.

No Comrade, it is you who claimed the added cost to be mere "cents on the dollar" and as already stated, the decision belongs to those who own the company. Get off your computer, start your own company, and create a new American employee/employer paradigm.

Last edited:
Thank you president Obama! We need to catch up to the rest of the civilized world.
Because no company anywhere gives its employess sick days.
Yet another measure to make America less competitive, to saddle business with onerous regulations, to make people poorer and government more powerful.
And the left wing rubes eat that shit up.
38% of american workers get no paid sick leave.
And this changes that, how?
So what? Lots of American workers dont get pension plans or health insurance either. WHo says you are entitled to any of that shit?
The rest of the civilized world guarantees healthcare to all, paid sick leave, maternity leave.. I believe that they should get these things. Something called decency.
It's nice being decent on someone else's dime. Makes you a real philanthropist.
The rest of the civilized world is stuck in slow growth and hgh unemployment with educated people fleeing in droves. If you want another Euro-shithole just move to Belgium, 'kay?
Stuck in slow growth and high unemployment? Which countries? Do you have an understanding of socio-economic conditions present in each country?

Why wait? And, if you have kids and this is your immediate thought, they're probably better without you.

You first, fuckhead.

Stop worrying about 38% of Americans and worry about yourself. Don't work for those bastard employers, and go work for someone who gives you paid sick time. When the employers feel the pressure because they can't keep employees, they'll adjust their compensation package.

Oh, and how many of those 38% have some other kind of option? I once had a job where we had no paid "sick time" but had a generous helping of generic paid time off. It was great. Most jobs don't allow you to be paid for unused sick time. The extra PTO time allowed us to enjoy more R&R.

Not only are our borders open coming in, but going out also.

I'm sure the immigration laws from the countries you retort would welcome you with open arms

-Geaux
Speaking of....
If, according to the OP, it's so great to be like other countries, why not implement Mexico's immigration laws and Finland's gun laws?

You honestly believe businesses would collapse if they had to give workers 7 days of paid sick leave? The same end of world bullshit that cons spread every time something to benefit labor is brought up.
Our current definition of a 'small business' is 50 or less.

7 days times 50 employees = a YEAR of un-worked-for pay

Forum List

Back