🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Obama wants to talk to Americans to get them up to speed on ISIS.

I bet he wants to avoids Syria. There'd be a lot of 'splainin to do then wouldn't there now?.

Chuck Todd: Obama Uses ISIL, not ISIS, to Avoid 'Syria'

Monday, 08 Sep 2014 01:48 PM

By Drew MacKenzie

Chuck Todd Obama Uses ISIL not ISIS to Avoid Syria

Why would their be "splainin" to do?

"ISIL" is the actual translation of the Arabic acronym for the group.

They've morphed thru a series of name changes. ISIS is what they decided (not you or I or anyone else) to call themselves when they broke away from AQ.

Now they call themselves simply IS, These are just facts. Not opinion.

And their name is of their own choosing. Not ours.

The name they chose for themselves is داعش.

The second "S" in ISIS doesn't stand for "Syria", anyway - it stands for "al-Sham".
Irrelevant. To everyday Americans the second S stands for Syria and that is why Obama avoids using it.

Pretending to be able to read the President's mind is always a really stupid way to argue. Why would that cause Obama to avoid using it?
That is my opinion & the opinion of many others. Has nothing to do with being a mind reader. That's what we do on this site, share opinions.
Hop off your horse before you fall off.

I'm asking you to explain back up your "opinions". That's what we do on this site, respond and challenge other poster's "opinions".
I fucking explained why I think he avoids it. Are you daft? Christ

"Because Syria" isn't a good enough answer. I'm asking you to elaborate.

I'm asking you to explain back up your "opinions". That's what we do on this site, respond and challenge other poster's "opinions".
LOL!
WHat a fucking maroon!
You just got your ass handed to you on this very thread, unable to figure out what Ted Cruz actually said and dismissing the fact as "semantics" and you want to school Gramps on what we do on this site>?
Get outta town!

More from Cruz:

“Congress has the authority to declare [war]” said Cruz. “Part of the reason that Congress has that check and balance on the president is that it forces him to explain: What is the military objective we’re trying to accomplish? I believe initiating new military hositilies in a sustained basis in Iraq obligates the president to go back to Congress and to make the case to seek congressional authorization.”

I'm excited to see how you attempt to spin that.

I think it's the other way around. Most of us knew the threat ISIS presented MONTHS AGO. But Obama is gonna "inform us" lol

That was the part I found most amusing about his Meet the Press interview.

I alao find it amusing that he refuses to use the last S in ISIS. Just can't admit he is behind the curve.

Why should he use "the last S" in ISIS?

"ISIS" isn't actually their name.
Because that is where they are based. He is simply too stubborn to admit it. He avoids using the word Syria at all costs. I find it amusing.

That doesn't make any sense. What do you think he should "admit"?

Of course the President needs Congressional approval for most action, thus the excuses for the inaction paint a picture of the stalemate in Congress somehow being Presidential delay......there is delay, on the part of Boehner & McConnell; Nelson is no grandstander, he has been working for weeks..............no response from McConnell.....
The president does not need approval for most action.
And where he did need approval, like the Bergdahl fiasco, he didnt get it, violating the law.

The Republican leadership seems to disagree with you.

Cruz has been campaigning....or....yelling the President can do nothing more without Congressional approval, yes.
Link?

Ted Cruz says it 8217 s 8216 unacceptable 8217 for Obama to proceed against Islamic State without Congress TheBlaze.com
You understand that doesnt support the claim that Cruz believes Obama cannot act without COngress, right?

Are you trying to argue a semantic difference between "cannot act" and "unacceptable"?
If you think the difference is merely semantic then there is no point arguing with you.

The claim was made that Cruz said Obama could not act without Congress.
The citation to support that actually said that Cruz said that Obama ought to act with Congress. Cruz never said Obama could not act unilaterally. Cruz didnt say that because its not true.
It's a difference between law and good policy. You understand that,right?

:lol:

Those are quite the rhetorical acrobatics, right there.
OK you're too stupid to understand subtleties of language. We get that.
You're dismissed.
Dunce.

The "subtleties of language".

:lol:

According to my dictionary, "unacceptable" means, among other things, "not allowed".

So let's fill in the blanks:

Ted Cruz said:
“One thing he did indicate, however, is that he would not be requesting congressional authorization for ongoing military operations in Iraq or Syria,” Cruz said. “This is not allowed.”
Unacceptable mean "among other other things." So there is more than one possibilty.
You've been pwned by your own post. LOL!
The statements are plain: Unacceptable deos not mean Obama cannot take unilateral action.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz said Saturday that President Barack Obama must seek Congressional authorization for U.S. strikes on the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) if they continue.

Far from equivical, Senator Montreal says "MUST".

LOL!
WHat a fucking maroon!
You just got your ass handed to you on this very thread, unable to figure out what Ted Cruz actually said and dismissing the fact as "semantics" and you want to school Gramps on what we do on this site>?
Get outta town!

More from Cruz:

“Congress has the authority to declare [war]” said Cruz. “Part of the reason that Congress has that check and balance on the president is that it forces him to explain: What is the military objective we’re trying to accomplish? I believe initiating new military hositilies in a sustained basis in Iraq obligates the president to go back to Congress and to make the case to seek congressional authorization.”

Is Obama talking about declaring war? Link?
No spin needed. You screwed it up all by yourself.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz said Saturday that President Barack Obama must seek Congressional authorization for U.S. strikes on the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) if they continue.

Link?
It doesnt matter. Because by "must" he does not mean in any legal sense, only in a policy sense.

LOL!
WHat a fucking maroon!
Get outta town!

More from Cruz:

Here's a little more context for you:

After his speech to the Iowa FAMiLY Leader, and after he said that the president needed to come to Congress to approve more military action in Iraq, I asked him if the AUMF wasn’t sufficient for that.

“Congress has the authority to declare [war]” said Cruz. “Part of the reason that Congress has that check and balance on the president is that it forces him to explain: What is the military objective we’re trying to accomplish? I believe initiating new military hositilies in a sustained basis in Iraq obligates the president to go back to Congress and to make the case to seek congressional authorization.

Cruz deftly stepped around a follow-up question, from the Daily Beast’s Ben Jacobs, about whether the War Powers Act that required this of the president was even constitutional.

Ted Cruz Obama needs new authorization from Congress for these operations against ISIS Hot Air

Obama to detail new plans to hunt down ISIS in speech - CBS News

"Over the course of months, we are going to be able to not just blunt the momentum of (ISIS)," the president said in an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press. "We are going to systematically degrade their capabilities. We're going to shrink the territory that they control. And ultimately we're going to defeat them."

"We will hunt down [ISIS] members and assets wherever they are," Mr. Obama added. "I will reserve the right to always protect the American people and go after folks who are trying to hurt us wherever they are."

But that plan will not include putting U.S. troops on the ground in Syria, the president promised, saying that would be a "profound mistake."

Obama will have the stage on Wednesday, whatever actions need to be taken should be allocated by Congress from receipts and not blank checks the Republicans used for their phony Iraq war they have yet to end after 12 years with still no end in sight.
The Iraq War ended in 2007. WHere have you been?

US President George W. Bush, on May 1, 2003; Mission Accomplished

vstory.bush.banner.afp.jpg

no that was the Republican Depression just starting in 2007, giving the Islamist enough time to nearly takeover the entirety of both Iraq and Syria at the same time to the present date.

LOL!
WHat a fucking maroon!
Get outta town!

More from Cruz:

Here's a little more context for you:

After his speech to the Iowa FAMiLY Leader, and after he said that the president needed to come to Congress to approve more military action in Iraq, I asked him if the AUMF wasn’t sufficient for that.

“Congress has the authority to declare [war]” said Cruz. “Part of the reason that Congress has that check and balance on the president is that it forces him to explain: What is the military objective we’re trying to accomplish? I believe initiating new military hositilies in a sustained basis in Iraq obligates the president to go back to Congress and to make the case to seek congressional authorization.

Cruz deftly stepped around a follow-up question, from the Daily Beast’s Ben Jacobs, about whether the War Powers Act that required this of the president was even constitutional.

Ted Cruz Obama needs new authorization from Congress for these operations against ISIS Hot Air
Obama is not declaring war.
So far the lefties have only brought Ted Cruz and even then Cruz doesnt say Obama cannot act at all without COngressional approval. Other Republicans say he can.
So the point is a fail. A total fail.

Link?
It doesnt matter. Because by "must" he does not mean in any legal sense, only in a policy sense.

"In a policy sense"; the most absurd yet. Incorrect, the President needs Congress to act for further military options to be considered; McConnell, Cruz, et. al. are going to "STONEWALL"* it. Boehner will finish a case of bourbon before he realizes Congress is in session.

*Look it up.

He wont declare war at all, because they are not a recognized nation state. Declaring war against IS is almost as stupid as declaring a war on terror itself.

Forum List

Back