🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

obamacare cheerleader gets slapped with reality

Katzndogz

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2011
Now she's not a cheerleader any more.

Oregon Mother: I Can?t Afford Obamacare For Myself, 1-Year-Old Son « CBS Seattle

Kate Holly, 33, tells KOIN-TV that she originally championed President Barack Obama’s signature health care law because she thought it would help people in her situation.
“I’ve been a cheerleader for the Affordable Care Actsince I heard about it and I assumed that it was designed for people in my situation,” Holly, a freelance yoga instructor, told KOIN. “I was planning on using the Affordable Care Act and I had done the online calculator in advance to make sure I was going to be able to afford it.”
Holly’s husband works for a non-profit organization that pays for his health care, but the couple is unable to afford to have her and their son covered under his plan. And she’s been told their combined income is too much to qualify for a subsidized health care plan under Cover Oregon.

Oregon Mother: I Can?t Afford Obamacare For Myself, 1-Year-Old Son « CBS Seattle

Kate Holly, 33, tells KOIN-TV that she originally championed President Barack Obama’s signature health care law because she thought it would help people in her situation.
“I’ve been a cheerleader for the Affordable Care Actsince I heard about it and I assumed that it was designed for people in my situation,” Holly, a freelance yoga instructor, told KOIN. “I was planning on using the Affordable Care Act and I had done the online calculator in advance to make sure I was going to be able to afford it.”
Holly’s husband works for a non-profit organization that pays for his health care, but the couple is unable to afford to have her and their son covered under his plan. And she’s been told their combined income is too much to qualify for a subsidized health care plan under Cover Oregon.

A. To be fair, wasn't there a good post about a conservative OPPOSED to Obamacare who also flipped sides and found that he got a better deal after the reforms went through?

B. The best statement I ever found explaining what was wrong with Obama's insurance mandates was in articles published by Obama's own cousin by marriage, a practicing radiologist in DC, who summarized it by saying that paying for insurance and increasing the number of covered Americans DOES NOT CREATE the medical service providers to meet this need:

Dr. Milton Wolf-Barack Obama?s Cousin Speaks Against Obamacare | How A Conservative Thinks

The alternatives I would have supported to make a transition in reforming health care are
1. reforming prison spending per state, to cover costs more effectively in order to pay for health care housing and education for more of the general population through LENDING and paying back the state, instead of wasting billions on criminals and charging the costs to taxpayers.

2. investing in creating more teaching hospitals and internships, so that public service through clinics is covered as part of the educational and training requirement.

This could also tie in with criminal justice and immigration reform, to require users of state benefits to pay back costs to taxpayers through work-study and/or restitution programs in proportion to violations and costs of penalties/prosecution/incarceration; and use those funds to pay for education, training and facilities for health care providers.

This would focus on creating low cost services (supervised through medical schools and/or community college programs that are accredited) instead of simply mandating payments to insurance companies WHICH DO NOT CREATE ANY SERVICE PROVIDERS OR FACILITIES.

From speaking with supporters of Single Payer systems, most of them do not want govt regulations either.
The largest lobby group for single payer health care in Texas is OPPOSED to ACA.

If the left and the right opposed to ACA could organize around alternatives, they'd have a better chance of getting something
passed through the State under innovations or reforms to ACA, whichever is expedient. As it is, the ACA does not respect
the separation of federal from state authority, and is thus unconstitutionally discriminating against and penalizing citizens who believe in states' rights.

Not only is the policy itself contested questionable, but the process by which it was passed and imposed raises additional issues that have compounded the problem and ability to work together to fix it.

Last edited:

There's not much detail in that article. We don't know how much the family makes and why the woman has chosen not to buy health coverage. They say the can't afford it but don't tell us what expenses are more pressing. Is that supposed to make us sympathetic?

"obamacare cheerleader gets slapped with reality"

As did Kirsten Powers:

Kirsten Powers admits her premiums will double under Obamacare

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJe7hgeP3Hw]Kirsten Powers admits her premiums will double under Obamacare - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back