Obamacare Going After 1099ers

The problem is I NOR they can take the added 4,800 dollars a year in costs. And that is the cheapest one.

Is that premiums alone or premiums plus deductible?
For the person 400 for the premium alone. For another its 700.
He has kids.
Well, unless you're paying them over 100K a year, those premiums are inaccurate. Tell them to take a test drive here:

Subsidy Calculator Widget

It's from the Kaiser Foundation, there's no commitment, but it'll give you and your subcontractors a more realistic figure.
I will have them check this thread for those links. Its not exactly the first time government has sent out the wrong size bill. I thank you and am sure they will.
the government has not sent them a bill for insurance, but it will fine them when they pay their taxes.

I am writing this a person who employs 6 1099'ers. They just got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it to tell them they HAD to show proof of APPROVED health care insurance OR buy into Obamacare.

Now I only have six private contractors {1099} and have no one on a 1040 because it cuts book keeping costs. A 1099 employer does NOT withold taxes
or social security and in my state even child support. That is up to the 1099er.

The sign up costs are ranging from 7 to 900 dollars with the monthlies at 4 to 500.
They CANNOT afford it. Now before you all chime in and say I should be paying more my insurance costs ARE higher because of who I hire.

See I do a lot of little insurance work, minor fire and flood repair and wind storm.
One person I hired did 18 months for selling pot because he got caught with a pound so nobody would hire him. And another had more then one to many DWI's so nobody would hire him. But I did and and my rates went up because of it.

So I am already paying extra for employing them. And the profit margin I make is not that big because I do it more because I am bored VS needing the money. So its cheaper to close shop and un-employ six people then it is to give raises or raise my rates.
No biggie....you rich bastard.....you can afford the extra expense.....Obama says.
But I am NOT rich nor are they. And they are being punished for NOT being rich.
advise them go to the ACA healthcare exchange, period!

If they make so little that they would qualify for the medicaid expansion insurance, but YOUR state chose not to expand it, then your employees will get an exemption, and WILL NOT be charged the tax penalty for not having insurance.

If they have a qualifying low income for the exchange, then tell them to only go with a Silver level plan....with the silver level policy, and low income, not only will the govt help pay their premiums, they will ADDITIONALLY come in and pay for their high deductibles and high out of pocket expenses and also reduce other expenses on the silver plan like drug out of pocket costs, emergency room visit costs etc.... this is called COST SHARING REDUCTION....tell them to find out if their incomes qualify.

your employees will need to estimate their annual income, and if they are independent contractors, i believe they take out all of their work related costs before the income they declare.... this will help them qualify for more premium subsidy and the CSR help as well.... if they have wives and children, they can get covered too if the wife does not have insurance through her work....

And not if a wife has insurance through her employer, your contractor will be required to be added to his wife's policy....and can not go on the Exchange.

Tell them DO NOT buy in to a cheaper bronze plan....without checking out to see if they qualify for the Cost Sharing Reduction the gvt offers to low incomes...if they buy in to a silver plan....

with less than 50 workers an employer is not obligated to contribute towards their employee's insurance.

Last edited:
it's called b.s.

compassion would be paying them enough so they could purchase insurance. compassion would mean offering them a group policy through the company.
compassion is not mislabeling employees as independent contractors so you can screw them over.
You talk about compassion?????????????????

Tell me where the $2500 a year savings are..................That was promised under the ACA when it increased rates nation wide.................I'll tell you where it is............under the Bronze plan it saved me that much a year................But you need to get run over by a semi to use it..........It pays jack squat unless you need surgery or have a major illness...........the plans are for catastrophic health issues.......Major surgeries..........and so on................They don't pay for the visits until you pay the high deductibles...........
broken keyboard?
Nooooooooooope..........just my usual style of posting.............

Rates have went up for all.........including the ACA coverage............and my post is accurate........
rates were going up before the aca. sounds like these guys never had health care.
Probably. But the rates exploded on my costs after the ACA...........They were already very high.

Even under the ACA the rates continue to climb...........including the plans at the exchanges.

The ACA was supposed to fix that...........Has it?
these guys will qualify for subsidies. they need health insurance. dark fury better hope that none of them decide to question their classification as independent contractors.

I am writing this a person who employs 6 1099'ers. They just got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it to tell them they HAD to show proof of APPROVED health care insurance OR buy into Obamacare.

Now I only have six private contractors {1099} and have no one on a 1040 because it cuts book keeping costs. A 1099 employer does NOT withold taxes
or social security and in my state even child support. That is up to the 1099er.

The sign up costs are ranging from 7 to 900 dollars with the monthlies at 4 to 500.
They CANNOT afford it. Now before you all chime in and say I should be paying more my insurance costs ARE higher because of who I hire.

See I do a lot of little insurance work, minor fire and flood repair and wind storm.
One person I hired did 18 months for selling pot because he got caught with a pound so nobody would hire him. And another had more then one to many DWI's so nobody would hire him. But I did and and my rates went up because of it.

So I am already paying extra for employing them. And the profit margin I make is not that big because I do it more because I am bored VS needing the money. So its cheaper to close shop and un-employ six people then it is to give raises or raise my rates.
No biggie....you rich bastard.....you can afford the extra expense.....Obama says.

If they make so little that they would qualify for the medicaid expansion insurance, but YOUR state chose not to expand it, then your employees will get an exemption, and WILL NOT be charged the tax penalty for not having insurance.

If they have a qualifying low income for the exchange, then tell them to only go with a Silver level plan....with the silver level policy, and low income, not only will the govt help pay their premiums, they will ADDITIONALLY come in and pay for their high deductibles and high out of pocket expenses and also reduce other expenses on the silver plan like drug out of pocket costs, emergency room visit costs etc.... this is called COST SHARING REDUCTION....tell them to find out if their incomes qualify.

your employees will need to estimate their annual income, and if they are independent contractors, i believe they take out all of their work related costs before the income they declare.... this will help them qualify for more premium subsidy and the CSR help as well.... if they have wives and children, they can get covered too if the wife does not have insurance through her work....

And not, if a wife has insurance through her employer, your contractor will be required to be added to his wife's policy.

Tell them DO NOT buy in to a cheaper bronze plan....without checking out to see if they qualify for the Cost Saving Reduction the gvt offers to low incomes...if they buy in to a silver plan....

with less than 50 workers an employer is not obligated to contribute towards their employee's insurance.
Did not know about this Cost Saving Reduction plan..........probably because I don't qualify anyway.................To me, if I choose to go back on the plans...........the Bronze is better as the Silver has high deductibles as well.........................

Depending on their income level would decide their way to go......................

To my situation the Bronze is the only way I'd go back on it.

Tell me where the $2500 a year savings are..................That was promised under the ACA when it increased rates nation wide.................I'll tell you where it is............under the Bronze plan it saved me that much a year................But you need to get run over by a semi to use it..........It pays jack squat unless you need surgery or have a major illness...........the plans are for catastrophic health issues.......Major surgeries..........and so on................They don't pay for the visits until you pay the high deductibles...........
broken keyboard?

Rates have went up for all.........including the ACA coverage............and my post is accurate........
rates were going up before the aca. sounds like these guys never had health care.
Probably. But the rates exploded on my costs after the ACA...........They were already very high.

Even under the ACA the rates continue to climb...........including the plans at the exchanges.

these guys will qualify for subsidies. they need health insurance. dark fury better hope that none of them decide to question their classification as independent contractors.
As I stated earlier, if they are not qualified he would get fined for them with extra penalties..................

He needs to see a CPA, and deal with this..................It could hurt him.

broken keyboard?

As I stated earlier, if they are not qualified he would get fined for them with extra penalties..................

absolutely. i don't see a good ending here if he's not proactive in sorting this out.

And not, if a wife has insurance through her employer, your contractor will be required to be added to his wife's policy.

Tell them DO NOT buy in to a cheaper bronze plan....without checking out to see if they qualify for the Cost Saving Reduction the gvt offers to low incomes...if they buy in to a silver plan....

Did not know about this Cost Saving Reduction plan..........probably because I don't qualify anyway.................To me, if I choose to go back on the plans...........the Bronze is better as the Silver has high deductibles as well.........................

Depending on their income level would decide their way to go......................

yes, it's the lower incomes that qualify for the CSR help... I think a couple can make around 35k or so and qualify for the Cost Sharing Reduction, $46k or so if they have a kid....? There is a chart on the site that gives the income qualifications to see if they qualify.

then it is cut off....just subsidy help.

But they MUST buy in to a silver plan, to get this extra help.

if they are at the upper level of the income cut off, they will get less additional help, if they make the least, they will get much more additional help from this Cost Sharing Reduction gvt plan.....

Lower income workers don't have to pay these higher deductibles and out of pocket expenses like the middle class, with this CSR help.

absolutely. i don't see a good ending here if he's not proactive in sorting this out.
I got audited by the State once..............Over 1099's. I paid a CPA to do my taxes.........I didn't catch his 1099 reporting error..............I did question it............but he stated that is why I come to him because he does it for a living....................

Went to him 3 years straight.................thinking he was right.............got hit by the Feds and State over the 1099's...........Filed amended returns............he had screwed up my deductions........Feds accepted the Amended Returns..........got money back..........State ordered me to pay over 3k............I appealed to a Administrative Judge..........went before the Judge and won...............still had to pay fines...............

I repeatedly asked for the final ruling of fines owed...........State kept telling me it's in the mail.......Tried again and again to get the amount.........Got called into work to sign Wage Garnishment from the State.........that is how I found out how much I owed.............Signed the forms and then paid the fines off..............end of equation.............

Since then, I've filed my own taxes............and will continue to do so.

I got audited by the State once..............Over 1099's. I paid a CPA to do my taxes.........I didn't catch his 1099 reporting error..............I did question it............but he stated that is why I come to him because he does it for a living....................

Went to him 3 years straight.................thinking he was right.............got hit by the Feds and State over the 1099's...........Filed amended returns............he had screwed up my deductions........Feds accepted the Amended Returns..........got money back..........State ordered me to pay over 3k............I appealed to a Administrative Judge..........went before the Judge and won...............still had to pay fines...............

I repeatedly asked for the final ruling of fines owed...........State kept telling me it's in the mail.......Tried again and again to get the amount.........Got called into work to sign Wage Garnishment from the State.........that is how I found out how much I owed.............Signed the forms and then paid the fines off..............end of equation.............

that sucks. did you consider legal action against your CPA? seems like they should bear some responsibility - although for less than $4k suing and collecting may not be worth it.

yes, it's the lower incomes that qualify for the CSR help... I think a couple can make around 35k or so and qualify for the Cost Sharing Reduction, $46k or so if they have a kid....? There is a chart on the site that gives the income qualifications to see if they qualify.

then it is cut off....just subsidy help.

But they MUST buy in to a silver plan, to get this extra help.

if they are at the upper level of the income cut off, they will get less additional help, if they make the least, they will get much more additional help from this Cost Sharing Reduction gvt plan.....

Lower income workers don't have to pay these higher deductibles and out of pocket expenses like the middle class, with this CSR help.
In their case it would be their best option..........In my case the Bronze will be the only plan I sign for..................It is a waste of money to go silver as the Deductibles are too high.............My old plan actually paid early on............but at a cost of 12k a year........80/20 Blue Cross..............Bronze is 60/40 and the deducts are high.................

Unless you are poor, you don't qualify for jack except a Catistrophic plan which means you will pay for the doctors visits unless someone gets very ill or needs surgery.......................

that sucks. did you consider legal action against your CPA? seems like they should bear some responsibility - although for less than $4k suing and collecting may not be worth it.
At the time of the audit..............he was out of business............lol

My fines were only $650............I'll never trust those places again...........I file myself.

Doesn't that sound like Fascism?

where is it that your Federal Government can FORCE you to purchase something or be FINED? Aren't we suppose to be Free from an overbearing Government?

Doesn't that sound like Fascism?

where is it that your Federal Government can FORCE you to purchase something or be FINED? Aren't we suppose to be Free from an overbearing Government?

I'd like to be free from an overuse of upper-case letters, but that's just me.

I'd also like to be free from trillion-dollar invasions of other sovereign nations and the destruction of the infrastructure thereof while our own is crumbling.

I'd like to be free of proposals to build a Great Big Wall with my tax dollars. Who here can help me with that?

I'd like to be free of Americans who are terrified of words, as if they had magic, totemic powers in and of themselves. Although, on second thought, I like watching Rightists flap around like chickens at the mere whisper of the world "socialist." Sticks and stones not working out for ya?

It's pathetic that some people have to be "forced" to avail themselves of access to affordable health insurance, but there it is.

Approximately 1.7 million Americans filed for bankruptcy for medical reasons in 2013, the year before the implementation of the PPACA.

"Waaaaaah, I don't care! I'm being forced to have what they didn't - waaaaah!"

Rinse, repeat.

You have no idea what you are talking about. If he did that, he probably wouldn't be in business and those contractors would have no jobs.
What is more compassionate? Keeping a business going or bankrupting said business? When you have a small business, you have to be book (acctg) smart or go by the wayside.
Your being fed that compassion means supplying all with their needs, to forgo your own does not work in the real world of small business, because you then can't supply them or yourself with anything, unless it is financially viable. Socialism does not work.

Compassion is recognizing that certain policies destroy jobs, rather than help create them. Compassion is recognizing that certain policies are not financially viable to the average person.
I have a question for the OP...................what state do you live in, and did the governor of your state accept or refuse the Medicaid expansion?

If you live in a state that refused, then the problem isn't the ACA, it's your governors desire to stop it, because if they accepted the Medicaid expansion, the price of insurance actually goes down.
I live in Arizona and have no idea what the Gov. did. I'm the guy who hires the 25 year old non grad looking to get a skill. I'm the guy who hires the first time offender looking to turn his life around. I'm the guy who hires the vet.

I'm NOT some big time contractor just a little guy trying to do what I can.
So again, how is it your problem that your independent contractors need insurance?

It's called compassion dimwit.
it's called b.s.

compassion would be paying them enough so they could purchase insurance. compassion would mean offering them a group policy through the company.
compassion is not mislabeling employees as independent contractors so you can screw them over.

Last edited:
It's called compassion dimwit.
it's called b.s.

broken keyboard?

I have NALC. It's going down $9.60 per month in 2016. It's major medical and not an OBAMACARE.

it's called b.s.

broken keyboard?

I have NALC. It's going down $9.60 per month in 2016. It's major medical and not an OBAMACARE.
Too funny. Your policy meets the requirements under the ppaca - meaning it's as much Obamacare as any

I have a question for the OP...................what state do you live in, and did the governor of your state accept or refuse the Medicaid expansion?

If you live in a state that refused, then the problem isn't the ACA, it's your governors desire to stop it, because if they accepted the Medicaid expansion, the price of insurance actually goes down.
I live in Arizona and have no idea what the Gov. did. I'm the guy who hires the 25 year old non grad looking to get a skill. I'm the guy who hires the first time offender looking to turn his life around. I'm the guy who hires the vet.

I'm NOT some big time contractor just a little guy trying to do what I can.

You can blame the governor for refusing to accept the Medicare expansion. AZ is a Republican governed state, and all GOP led states have refused the expansion.

That's why the costs have gone up.
Yes, if you don't grab your ankles for the little socialist dictator it's all your fault. God, you people are insufferable.

it's called b.s.

The problem is that people are only willing to pay X amount of dollars for goods or services. Reality is far different than Liberal La La Land. If a sub is getting fixed pay or a salary then you'd be correct. That's wrong and illegal.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava

broken keyboard?

Too funny. Your policy meets the requirements under the ppaca - meaning it's as much Obamacare as any

Of course in many respects. I don't have a deductible, nor do I pay for office visits. Mine, as do all major medical insurance policies, pay like a Medicare supplement policy does. Medicare sets the limits on medical providers for any test or procedure. After Medicare pays their negotiated allowance, my major medical pays my Medicare deductible and pays up to the amount of the limit Medicare imposes on the providers and no more. It's a good deal for seniors in that we can see a provider, pay nothing for an office visit, and pay nothing out-of-pocket for services.

broken keyboard?

The problem isn't insurance. Insurance is really a bargain. The problem is the greed of medical providers. Just one visit to a hospital can totally pay you back for one or more years of paying insurance premiums.

Forum List

Back