Obamagas to drop below $2 a gallon nationwide

Here they going to start charging people by their mileage.

Nah, they're not gonna do that. That idea's been bouncing around like ten years. It can't work. They would have to reverse-engineer 250 million vehicles with GPS devices and then hire spies to crunch the numbers. Ain't gonna happen.

Of course it's not going to happen! :lmao:

Oregon preps program to swap mileage tax for gas tax

Motorcoach and trucking companies have been paying mileage based taxes for years. They track their mileage. It is pretty easy, they read the odometer at the beginning of the year and read the odometer at the end of the year. A lot simpler than the motor coach and trucking industry. With electronic GPS, they can start putting the, in the vehicle and have them either fitted or manually tracked.

In effect, isn't a mileage tax the same as a gas tax?
The amount of gas tax you pay is directly dependent on the mileage you drive

That's what it comes down to -- it's just waaaaaaaaaaay more complicated to start tracing where everybody goes... than to simply tax them where they fuel. It's a ten-year Duh moment.

Now, Right-Wing governed states like North Carolina are trying to heap an extra tax on Toyota Prius owners to get money they are losing due to 42 MPG hybrid goodness.

That ain't right, and Right-Wing voters should admit that they are raising taxes and put a stop to it.

Yeah that damn right wing state Oregon has it in experimental mode.

And all government wants to raise taxes, they are greedy.

The government is greedy, they want all they can get. With higher fuel mileage cars the government is not getting their cut. Whether it is intrusive or not, they don't care.

That's the excuse they use, but the reality is hybrids and EVs still make up a tiny sliver of the body of vehicles, so it's an empty argument. The whole idea of hybrids is to save fuel; critics say this scheme cuts the legs off that idea.

I'm looking to the the day when they will tax per mile on all vehicles and charge them according gas mileage and driving habits. Again very intrusive, controlling and greedy.

That it is. So why are you looking forward to it?

Not if you have an electric car, more and more of which we are seeing on the roads.

That's why mileage taxes are gaining traction.

We need to eliminate all forms of taxes and just have one tax. A sales tax with no exemptions. And all tax money needs to go into one pot.

Nah, they're not gonna do that. That idea's been bouncing around like ten years. It can't work. They would have to reverse-engineer 250 million vehicles with GPS devices and then hire spies to crunch the numbers. Ain't gonna happen.

Motorcoach and trucking companies have been paying mileage based taxes for years. They track their mileage. It is pretty easy, they read the odometer at the beginning of the year and read the odometer at the end of the year. A lot simpler than the motor coach and trucking industry. With electronic GPS, they can start putting the, in the vehicle and have them either fitted or manually tracked.

That's what it comes down to -- it's just waaaaaaaaaaay more complicated to start tracing where everybody goes... than to simply tax them where they fuel. It's a ten-year Duh moment.

Not really. You must tax at every pump and have every gas station owner forward the money
Its not that complicated to record how much mileage you drove this year and send in a check when you register your car

Not if you have an electric car, more and more of which we are seeing on the roads.

A mileage tax by definition means the government is tracking you.

Which Right-Wing candidate is coming out for that?
4i6Ckte.gif

They don't even want a national ID that would track illegals or eliminate the fictional "voter fraud".

Guess you missed the part in your own link where they note these are volunteers participating.

Your own link.

Dude, I've been on this story for literally ten years. Oregon, Florida, Maine and several other places ran tests like this. Congress commissioned the University of Iowa to run a whole slew of 'em.

It would STILL require the existing quarter-of-a-billion cars (and trucks) already on the road to be retrofitted with GPS devices. It's a stupid idea that won't work. Period.

This idea was floated by Congress in I believe it was 2006 (?). Back in ought-9, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood floated it in the public discourse toilet bowl. He got shot down right quick by O'bama.

It ain't happening.

Your text about trucks is NOT the same thing. Trucks commonly cross a lot of state lines, and for that matter so do cars. Most of my travel is still outside my home state. So if I were taxed by my odometer, I'd be taxed for miles driven in... Virginia... Tennesee... Mississippi... Louisiana... etc etc etc. That's why that scheme can't work. We are ALL already taxed in local fuel surcharges anyway ... so that when I need to fill up in Alabama ... I'm paying for Alabama's upkeep of its roads. Et cetera. That's a system that already works, is tied to the local traffic, and the only reason they make these noises about mileage tax is they're too pussified to raise those local taxes to meet the growing needs ... taxes which have been frozen in place for decades.

It's coming, nothing you can do to stop it. The technology and the cost to have the equipment is coming down. Trucks have done it for decades, and if it means more money the greedy states will grab it.

No, trucks have not done it for decades. An odometer tax is NOT what that is. For the third time --- you would need a GPS device on every vehicle. Literally. Because as soon as you cross a state line, the state you're registered in ---- no longer has jurisdiction.

North Carolina would tax me for mileage driven in North Carolina. But without a GPS device, it would have no way to know how many miles on my odometer came in other states.

You may be making it more difficult than it has to be. You pay your odometer tax in the state that the vehicle is registered. Some states may make out better than other states, if so, adjust your tax rate
Right now, I can fill up in my state and drive across your state without paying a gas tax

Yabbut eventually you need more fuel. My state's over 500 miles long.

If most of my driving occurs outside NC (actually if ANY of it does), then that driving is not using NC roads, ergo there's no reason I should be paying for them on those miles. On the other hand it's equally unright to be paying NC for using roads in Tennessee. And so on.

That's why the current system ain't broke -- when I get to Tennessee and need fuel, I use a Tennessee Obamagas® station, and the local taxes pay for those Tennessee roads. Then when I get to Kentucky I use a Kentucky station that pays for Kentucky roads. And so on.

Not really. You must tax at every pump and have every gas station owner forward the money
Its not that complicated to record how much mileage you drove this year and send in a check when you register your car

Uh -- yeah it is. I drive 40 to 50 thousand miles a year, in two dozen states. There's no way in the world I'm logging all that.

4i6Ckte.gif

They don't even want a national ID that would track illegals or eliminate the fictional "voter fraud".

At least three Transportation Secretaries in a row -- Ray LaHood, Norman Mineta and Samuel Skinner (all Republicans). LaHood brought it up in the first month of the O'bama Administration and was immediately shot down. The general VMT idea goes back to a Congressional bill -- either 2005 or 2006 if memory serves -- which commissioned the University of Iowa to do a study with volunteers in multiple areas. The elephant in that room is that it still requires every existing vehicle to be retrofitted with a spy device, and then for those numbers to be crunched. And even then it would presumably send a bill, like an income tax, after the fact, which of course requires even further resources for enforcement -- as opposed to a tax simply built-in (and already built-in) right at the point of sale.

And all of this is to avoid simply raising fuel taxes to meet needs --- which used to be commonplace. Kind of the Grover Norquist poopyhead approach.

Paid $3.25 today.

Saturday, paid $3.15.

And what were you paying a year ago?

Gotcha. :rock:
About $4.75. Comparing from a year ago? Yes Obama should get the credit why we have a low gas prices today. People are enjoying that they can save or use the money to buy something else.

What did Obama do to lower the price of oil? None of you liberal turds is able to answer that question.

For rightwong nuts like you. You blame Obama when gas prices is high. You blame Obama when unemployment is high. Now that gas prices is lower since last year and the unemployment is lowest in last 8 years. Who should get the credit? Ted Cruz?

"Lowest in 8 years" is another way of saying this recession lasted 8 years. Obama tried to drive the price of oil up by reducing drilling permits, so he deserves some of the blame. He did nothing to lower the price of oil. Technology did that. Only a moron or a lying partisan would claim he deserves any of the credit.
I've heard here many times from rightwongers that the president is responsible for what is going on in this country but when something good came out. No he is not responsible. Crap.

The government is greedy, they want all they can get. With higher fuel mileage cars the government is not getting their cut. Whether it is intrusive or not, they don't care.

That's the excuse they use, but the reality is hybrids and EVs still make up a tiny sliver of the body of vehicles, so it's an empty argument. The whole idea of hybrids is to save fuel; critics say this scheme cuts the legs off that idea.

I'm looking to the the day when they will tax per mile on all vehicles and charge them according gas mileage and driving habits. Again very intrusive, controlling and greedy.

That it is. So why are you looking forward to it?

Who the hell said I was looking forward to it? Please find where I thought it as a positive. You forecast global warming, are you for global warming? Quit being simple minded.

4i6Ckte.gif

I am very much against a mileage tax, precisely because of its Big Brother characteristics.

Uh -- yeah it is. I drive 40 to 50 thousand miles a year, in two dozen states. There's no way in the world I'm logging all that.

Just log in 50,000 miles when you register your car at the end of the year.
Who cares which states you drive in? It all evens out for the states anyway

My only concern is they will keep the gas tax and add a mileage tax

About $4.75. Comparing from a year ago? Yes Obama should get the credit why we have a low gas prices today. People are enjoying that they can save or use the money to buy something else.

What did Obama do to lower the price of oil? None of you liberal turds is able to answer that question.

For rightwong nuts like you. You blame Obama when gas prices is high. You blame Obama when unemployment is high. Now that gas prices is lower since last year and the unemployment is lowest in last 8 years. Who should get the credit? Ted Cruz?

"Lowest in 8 years" is another way of saying this recession lasted 8 years. Obama tried to drive the price of oil up by reducing drilling permits, so he deserves some of the blame. He did nothing to lower the price of oil. Technology did that. Only a moron or a lying partisan would claim he deserves any of the credit.
I've heard here many times from rightwongers that the president is responsible for what is going on in this country but when something good came out. No he is not responsible. Crap.

That's because you are a partisan nutjob. It is easier to blame everyone than for you to actually think.

It makes some sense for an EV, but at the same time EVs will never have the range of an ICE, nor are they supposed to, so since an EV will remain close to home and is incapable of multistate travel, it amounts to apples and oranges.

In between them of course is the hybrid, but the hybrid as presently designed is an ICE with electric assist.

As for NC taxing a 42 mpg Prius ...
giggle.gif
I can get that with an ICE so... come and get me, Copper.

Who the hell said I was looking forward to it? Please find where I thought it as a positive.

I'm reading your own post. To wit:
"I'm looking to the the day when they will tax per mile on all vehicles and charge them according gas mileage and driving habits."
What else can that mean?

You forecast global warming, are you for global warming? Quit being simple minded.

Uh huh. And where did I post this?

Just log in 50,000 miles when you register your car at the end of the year.
Who cares which states you drive in? It all evens out for the states anyway

My only concern is they will keep the gas tax and add a mileage tax

You bet they will. Government doesn't give up taxes easily.

Who the hell said I was looking forward to it? Please find where I thought it as a positive.

I'm reading your own post. To wit:
"I'm looking to the the day when they will tax per mile on all vehicles and charge them according gas mileage and driving habits."
What else can that mean?

You forecast global warming, are you for global warming? Quit being simple minded.

Uh huh. And where did I post this?

It means the day is coming, didn't say I liked it. I own a Volt, I drive for weeks without filling up. Why the hell would I want a tax on miles?

Do you think global warming is happening and will continue to happen? It must mean you are for global warming want global warming, just using your twisted logic.

ItsaJokeSon.jpg~c200

Daily reality cheque: This entire thread is two thousand posts of a Mitt Romney punch line.
ba_dum__ching_by_draygone.gif

Forum List

Back