Obamagas to drop below $2 a gallon nationwide

Here they going to start charging people by their mileage.

Nah, they're not gonna do that. That idea's been bouncing around like ten years. It can't work. They would have to reverse-engineer 250 million vehicles with GPS devices and then hire spies to crunch the numbers. Ain't gonna happen.

Of course it's not going to happen! :lmao:

Oregon preps program to swap mileage tax for gas tax

Motorcoach and trucking companies have been paying mileage based taxes for years. They track their mileage. It is pretty easy, they read the odometer at the beginning of the year and read the odometer at the end of the year. A lot simpler than the motor coach and trucking industry. With electronic GPS, they can start putting the, in the vehicle and have them either fitted or manually tracked.

Guess you missed the part in your own link where they note these are volunteers participating.

Your own link.

Dude, I've been on this story for literally ten years. Oregon, Florida, Maine and several other places ran tests like this. Congress commissioned the University of Iowa to run a whole slew of 'em.

It would STILL require the existing quarter-of-a-billion cars (and trucks) already on the road to be retrofitted with GPS devices. It's a stupid idea that won't work. Period.

This idea was floated by Congress in I believe it was 2006 (?). Back in ought-9, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood floated it in the public discourse toilet bowl. He got shot down right quick by O'bama.

It ain't happening.

Your text about trucks is NOT the same thing. Trucks commonly cross a lot of state lines, and for that matter so do cars. Most of my travel is still outside my home state. So if I were taxed by my odometer, I'd be taxed for miles driven in... Virginia... Tennesee... Mississippi... Louisiana... etc etc etc. That's why that scheme can't work. We are ALL already taxed in local fuel surcharges anyway ... so that when I need to fill up in Alabama ... I'm paying for Alabama's upkeep of its roads. Et cetera. That's a system that already works, is tied to the local traffic, and the only reason they make these noises about mileage tax is they're too pussified to raise those local taxes to meet the growing needs ... taxes which have been frozen in place for decades.

It's coming, nothing you can do to stop it. The technology and the cost to have the equipment is coming down. Trucks have done it for decades, and if it means more money the greedy states will grab it.

Nah, they're not gonna do that. That idea's been bouncing around like ten years. It can't work. They would have to reverse-engineer 250 million vehicles with GPS devices and then hire spies to crunch the numbers. Ain't gonna happen.

Motorcoach and trucking companies have been paying mileage based taxes for years. They track their mileage. It is pretty easy, they read the odometer at the beginning of the year and read the odometer at the end of the year. A lot simpler than the motor coach and trucking industry. With electronic GPS, they can start putting the, in the vehicle and have them either fitted or manually tracked.

Guess you missed the part in your own link where they note these are volunteers participating.

Your own link.

Dude, I've been on this story for literally ten years. Oregon, Florida, Maine and several other places ran tests like this. Congress commissioned the University of Iowa to run a whole slew of 'em.

It would STILL require the existing quarter-of-a-billion cars (and trucks) already on the road to be retrofitted with GPS devices. It's a stupid idea that won't work. Period.

This idea was floated by Congress in I believe it was 2006 (?). Back in ought-9, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood floated it in the public discourse toilet bowl. He got shot down right quick by O'bama.

It ain't happening.

Your text about trucks is NOT the same thing. Trucks commonly cross a lot of state lines, and for that matter so do cars. Most of my travel is still outside my home state. So if I were taxed by my odometer, I'd be taxed for miles driven in... Virginia... Tennesee... Mississippi... Louisiana... etc etc etc. That's why that scheme can't work. We are ALL already taxed in local fuel surcharges anyway ... so that when I need to fill up in Alabama ... I'm paying for Alabama's upkeep of its roads. Et cetera. That's a system that already works, is tied to the local traffic, and the only reason they make these noises about mileage tax is they're too pussified to raise those local taxes to meet the growing needs ... taxes which have been frozen in place for decades.

It's coming, nothing you can do to stop it. The technology and the cost to have the equipment is coming down. Trucks have done it for decades, and if it means more money the greedy states will grab it.

No, trucks have not done it for decades. An odometer tax is NOT what that is. For the third time --- you would need a GPS device on every vehicle. Literally. Because as soon as you cross a state line, the state you're registered in ---- no longer has jurisdiction.

North Carolina would tax me for mileage driven in North Carolina. But without a GPS device, it would have no way to know how many miles on my odometer came in other states.

Your own link.

It ain't happening.

No, trucks have not done it for decades. An odometer tax is NOT what that is. For the third time --- you would need a GPS device on every vehicle. Literally. Because as soon as you cross a state line, the state you're registered in ---- no longer has jurisdiction.

North Carolina would tax me for mileage driven in North Carolina. But without a GPS device, it would have no way to know how many miles on my odometer came in other states.

The technology is there and they will equip vehicles. It is coming sooner than you think. This experiment is going well in Oregon and they will spend tax money to equip vehicles so they can make money.

Your own link.

It ain't happening.

The technology is there and they will equip vehicles. It is coming sooner than you think. This experiment is going well in Oregon and they will spend tax money to equip vehicles so they can make money.

It's been "going on" for ten years dood. It STILL requires (1) every existing vehicle -- literally, every single one on the road, everywhere -- to be retrofitted with GPS spy boxes so all those mileages in different states can be apportioned. Even without the privacy factor that's virtually impossible to do. And then (2) you need technicians to monitor and track them all, as well as deal with ones that break down (or are intentionally sabotaged).

All this versus the cost of simply raising road taxes to the level that actually meets the demand. :rolleyes:

It ain't happening.

Your own link.

It ain't happening.

It's been "going on" for ten years dood. It STILL requires (1) every existing vehicle -- literally, every single one on the road, everywhere -- to be retrofitted with GPS spy boxes so all those mileages in different states can be apportioned. Even without the privacy factor that's virtually impossible to do. And then (2) you need technicians to monitor and track them all, as well as deal with ones that break down (or are intentionally sabotaged).

All this versus the cost of simply raising road taxes to the level that actually meets the demand. :rolleyes:

It ain't happening.

Fine by me, we'll see.

Paid $3.25 today.

Yeah, if you are an idiot, like Pelosi you'll believe stupid. A $1.94? We are over $3. Of course if it goes down to low it will hurt the oil industry and create layoffs. Fine balance.

I know of no state in the 57 where gas hasn't dropped well below $3. Even Hawaìi is as low as 2.31. Alaska, the most expensive average price state, has gas as low as 2.94.

How uh, long has it been since you got gas?

Saturday, paid $3.15.

And what were you paying a year ago?

Gotcha. :rock:
About $4.75. Comparing from a year ago? Yes Obama should get the credit why we have a low gas prices today. People are enjoying that they can save or use the money to buy something else.

What did Obama do to lower the price of oil? None of you liberal turds is able to answer that question.

For rightwong nuts like you. You blame Obama when gas prices is high. You blame Obama when unemployment is high. Now that gas prices is lower since last year and the unemployment is lowest in last 8 years. Who should get the credit? Ted Cruz?

Paid $3.25 today.

I know of no state in the 57 where gas hasn't dropped well below $3. Even Hawaìi is as low as 2.31. Alaska, the most expensive average price state, has gas as low as 2.94.

Saturday, paid $3.15.

About $4.75. Comparing from a year ago? Yes Obama should get the credit why we have a low gas prices today. People are enjoying that they can save or use the money to buy something else.

What did Obama do to lower the price of oil? None of you liberal turds is able to answer that question.

For rightwong nuts like you. You blame Obama when gas prices is high. You blame Obama when unemployment is high. Now that gas prices is lower since last year and the unemployment is lowest in last 8 years. Who should get the credit? Ted Cruz?

I never blamed Obama for high gas price like the Speaker of the House who blamed Bush. I don't give anyone credit for the low prices either. I thought my previous posts were quite clear on that. Of course that is to assume you would have the wherewithal or the ability to comprehend what you actually read. Oh well, I don't expect much from you nutters and you never fail to underachieve.

In effect, isn't a mileage tax the same as a gas tax?
The amount of gas tax you pay is directly dependent on the mileage you drive

Paid $3.25 today.

Saturday, paid $3.15.

"Lowest in 8 years" is another way of saying this recession lasted 8 years. Obama tried to drive the price of oil up by reducing drilling permits, so he deserves some of the blame. He did nothing to lower the price of oil. Technology did that. Only a moron or a lying partisan would claim he deserves any of the credit.

Your own link.

It ain't happening.

You may be making it more difficult than it has to be. You pay your odometer tax in the state that the vehicle is registered. Some states may make out better than other states, if so, adjust your tax rate
Right now, I can fill up in my state and drive across your state without paying a gas tax

Your own link.

It ain't happening.

You may be making it more difficult than it has to be. You pay your odometer tax in the state that the vehicle is registered. Some states may make out better than other states, if so, adjust your tax rate
Right now, I can fill up in my state and drive across your state without paying a gas tax

You're obviously too stupid to understand the problem. If you drive into another state, then you are being taxed for miles that state is not entitled to tax you for. Some people drive across state lines every week. I used to drive between Tampa and Atlanta every week. I would have been ripped off by your "simple" scheme.

Your own link.

It ain't happening.

You're obviously too stupid to understand the problem. If you drive into another state, then you are being taxed for miles that state is not entitled to tax you for. Some people drive across state lines every week. I used to drive between Tampa and Atlanta every week. I would have been ripped off by your "simple" scheme.

Same thing happens today with the gas tax. People fill up and pay the tax in one state and drive in another. Many times, I will drive through several states on a fill up....no tax for them

In the end, it all averages out

Your own link.

It ain't happening.

Same thing happens today with the gas tax. People fill up and pay the tax in one state and drive in another. Many times, I will drive through several states on a fill up....no tax for them

Then there's no advantage to changing over to this system, and there is a massive disadvantage, which is that it's highly intrusive.

It's just another big brother liberal boondoggle.

Then there's no advantage to changing over to this system, and there is a massive disadvantage, which is that it's highly intrusive.

It will all depend on how big a market electric cars can carve out

They pay zero gas tax and use the roads.

ROFL, they will never get more than 5% of the market. Hydrogen fuel cells are more likely than batteries to replace gasoline in cars.

ROFL, they will never get more than 5% of the market. Hydrogen fuel cells are more likely than batteries to replace gasoline in cars.

We will see....... they used to be 0%

More alternative power sources are showing up on the market. Dirt cheap Obamagas will keep them out of the market until we elect a Republican and gas prices soar again

Their is a tremendous advantage to the states, not to the average citizen but government hasn't cared about the average citizen for a long time now. Being intrusive is okay for them. When they start tracking where and how fast you get there and mail you a ticket, that will be the final insult.

The government is greedy, they want all they can get. With higher fuel mileage cars the government is not getting their cut. Whether it is intrusive or not, they don't care.

I'm looking to the the day when they will tax per mile on all vehicles and charge them according gas mileage and driving habits. Again very intrusive, controlling and greedy.

Now, Right-Wing governed states like North Carolina are trying to heap an extra tax on Toyota Prius owners to get money they are losing due to 42 MPG hybrid goodness.

That ain't right, and Right-Wing voters should admit that they are raising taxes and put a stop to it.

Forum List

Back