Obama’s “Career Killer” Overtime Rules Blasted by Businesses

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
In the fast food and retail industries in particular, many workers have missed out on this because they’re deemed “managers” – they work long hours but are paid little more than the people they supervise.

Under the new rules, first released in draft form last summer, the annual salary threshold at which companies can deny overtime pay will be doubled from $23,660 to nearly $47,500.

That means a fast-food manager making $14 an hour – or roughly $30,000 a year – would now be eligible for overtime for those extra hours.

So, what does this REALLY mean? Businesses are there to make $$$$ for their owners and investors. Increase personnel costs and the bottom line goes into the potty. What do you think those in charge will do?

They have 2 choices:

Increase costs – and lose customers

salaried workers will be converted to hourly ones

Read the story @ 'Career killer': Obama's new overtime expansion under fire | Fox News

Experts say Obama’s overtime rule will hit taxpayers, economy hard @ Experts say Obama's overtime rule will hit taxpayers, economy hard - Watchdog.org

Paul Ryan Commits To Fighting Rule That Extends Overtime Protection To Millions Of Workers @ Paul Ryan Commits To Fighting Rule That Extends Overtime Protection To Millions Of Workers

In the fast food and retail industries in particular, many workers have missed out on this because they’re deemed “managers” – they work long hours but are paid little more than the people they supervise.

Under the new rules, first released in draft form last summer, the annual salary threshold at which companies can deny overtime pay will be doubled from $23,660 to nearly $47,500.

That means a fast-food manager making $14 an hour – or roughly $30,000 a year – would now be eligible for overtime for those extra hours.

So, what does this REALLY mean? Businesses are there to make $$$$ for their owners and investors. Increase personnel costs and the bottom line goes into the potty. What do you think those in charge will do?

They have 2 choices:

Read the story @ 'Career killer': Obama's new overtime expansion under fire | Fox News

Experts say Obama’s overtime rule will hit taxpayers, economy hard @ Experts say Obama's overtime rule will hit taxpayers, economy hard - Watchdog.org

Paul Ryan Commits To Fighting Rule That Extends Overtime Protection To Millions Of Workers @ Paul Ryan Commits To Fighting Rule That Extends Overtime Protection To Millions Of Workers
I've had doubts about this proposal, but to be honest the links you put up made me more inclined to think it may not be a bad idea. Do we really want to allow an employer to force a guy making 30K to work 55 hours a week? It seems to me that the guy needs a second part time job to support a family.

They have 2 choices:

Over 40 is extra pay. Hardly unreasonable.

I also have no problem with this initiative....keeping in mind I am conservative to the core concerning finance/economics.
It is absolutely wrong for low level service businesses and restaurants to abuse store managers like they do. Some of these folks work 70 hours a week.

And BTW - this was "too little - too late" from Corporate's Buddy and Pal Obama.
I guess after giving the elite's everything they could possibly dream of for the past seven years - they must have let him pass a little initiative for good face.

And BTW - this was "too little - too late" from Corporate's Buddy and Pal Obama.
I guess after giving the elite's everything they could possibly dream of for the past seven years - they must have let him pass a little initiative for good face.

I actually agree with that.

Obama may be just trying to shore up his legacy, but this should have been proposed and accomplished long ago.

Experts weigh in on how Obama's overtime rule change could benefit millions of workers and employers
Business Insider
Experts weigh in on how Obama's overtime rule change could benefit millions of workers and employers

Obama’s overtime proposal explained and why it matters
Obama's overtime proposal explained and why it matters
OK, I'm sold. Basically on the notion that Wal-Mart did not strongly object to the move for universal health insurance, so long as every employer had to pay the same. Then, what Obamacare actually did was make it cheaper for them to pay any penalty, and the employees still got insurance with govt subsidies.

But, Obama is right when he says this from one of your links.

The policy isn't just good for workers who want fair pay, Obama explained in his oped. The policy should help business owners who are already paying their employees what they deserve, he said, because those who are doing right by their employees are often undercut by competitors who aren't.

I think there are plenty of employers out there who take pride in creating jobs, and are frustrated by competitors who force them to cut pay or go out of biz.

They have 2 choices:

Bwhahaha, thanks for the tax payer link, forgot about public employees

It would be hilarious if this is the straw that broke the blue states like Illinois back and finally had to file for bankruptcy ...

Obama may be just trying to shore up his legacy, but this should have been proposed and accomplished long ago.
Possibly so, but I suspect there are enough gop senators who'd support it that it could easily have passed there, but the more reactionary House wouldn't even take it up for a vote. A law would have been better, but there is no compromise anymore.

I also have no problem with this initiative....keeping in mind I am conservative to the core concerning finance/economics.
It is absolutely wrong for low level service businesses and restaurants to abuse store managers like they do. Some of these folks work 70 hours a week.
They can always quit.
This proposal is one of the worst Team Obama has come up with. And that's really saying something. It will screw workers and employers. There are no winners here, only losers.

The Great and powerful Obama knows better...because he was a Community Organizer, 1/2-term Senator, never ran a business, has no business experience...but he has spoken!

Possibly so, but I suspect there are enough gop senators who'd support it that it could easily have passed there, but the more reactionary House wouldn't even take it up for a vote. A law would have been better, but there is no compromise anymore.

With respect my friend .. Good politicians fight for a better society. They don't just make excuses.

Obama is not a progressive, never has been, never claimed to be. He's a corporatist and he governs like one.

With respect my friend .. Good politicians fight for a better society. They don't just make excuses.

Obama is not a progressive, never has been, never claimed to be. He's a corporatist and he governs like one.
Obama is a progressive and governs like one. You might want to ask people in coal mining, banking, auto lending, and internet whether Obama is a corporatist or not.

The Great and powerful Obama knows better...because he was a Community Organizer, 1/2-term Senator, never ran a business, has no business experience...but he has spoken!
He's not a doctor, he has medical advisors. He's not an army general, he has army generals. He's not a business owner, he has business advisors.

You don't need to be a painter to support the arts, or know good artwork.

Of course he's a corporatist. Actually, he's more an elitist. But he's never really been a progressive who hangs around actual workers. But, I don't think he's a Johnny Come Lately to this issue. Frankly, it's not really an elitist, corporatist or progressive issue. Everyone agrees wages are too low, we lack sufficient consumer demand, and income inequality is not good. The question is what to do about it.

I think it's more that at this point he has no legislative agenda. There were hopes compromise could be found on corp taxes and various biz issues, including immigration, after the 2012 election, but the gop backed away from earlier positions. So, one by one, he's ticking off items that he can move on without any compromise.

Another anti-worker pro-corporate lie.

They have 2 choices:

Forum List

Back