Ocasio-Cortez laments coffee shop's closure -- over wage hikes that she supports

So far this year, many New York City bars have shut its doors for reasons pertaining to rent.

Longtime Times Square Irish bar Langan’s — a 25-year-old pub at 150 W. 47th St. — closed on Jan. 18. That same month, Coogan’s — a Washington Heights bar — also closed, citing a monthly rent increase by $40,0000.

After that, Eamonn's Bar & Grill shut down and has since been gutted. According to a note posted on the door of Eamonn's, those owners — the same team behind PJ Moran's and Foxy John's Bar & Kitchen — chose not to renew their lease.

Langan's blamed its landlord for wanting to raise its rent, while Eamonn's simply said it "ceased operations." In February, 10-year-old Asian nightclub Circle closed its doors.

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2018/07/12/the-coffee-shop-to-close.html
-------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure they made big bucks after 28 years.

Well she has an empty head and one notch in her belt!

150 people get to search for new jobs!

Last edited:
Aside from its iconic teal blue exterior and large red neon sign, the restaurant was also known for being a place that celebs and models frequented. However, while the Coffee Shop is closing on October 11, it is reported that their other restaurant, Flats Fix, will stay open for the foreseeable future.
Famous Coffee Shop in Union Square to Close This Fall

Terms of Service Violation
Food
How Rent Spikes Are Creating Fine Dining ‘Deserts’ In New York City
With the imminent closing of Republic, Union Square West—once home to pioneering restaurants such as Blue Water Grill and Union Square Cafe—is turning to a bland stretch of chain restaurants and stores. Here's why.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Its the rents, not really the wages.

The owner who knows the business has stated the combination oh high rents and the increased wage forced the shut down. You posting about high rent just makes you look ignorant.

Food
With the imminent closing of Republic, Union Square West—once home to pioneering restaurants such as Blue Water Grill and Union Square Cafe—is turning to a bland stretch of chain restaurants and stores. Here's why.

for the record-----New York City went on a rampage
last year of INCREASING TAXES on commercial
properties (the landlord pays that tax). The increase in taxes is very important-----it is being used
to fund free pre-kindergarten for all and free school
meals for all and special free housing for low income
persons. Expect more deserts in New York City----
something like the disaster that took place circa 1980. It is inevitable.

Food

Maybe you should read it again. They said the rents ARE high. What that means is they've been high for a while and they've been able to skate by even with high rents. But........the change is the new minimum wage law.

The article claims that 150 employees are involved. If wages are forced up by one dollar an hour, that's an extra 150 dollars per hour the employer has to pay out. If the average hours per employee is 30 hours a week, that's $4,500. That's $22,500 per month. That's just one dollar an hour at 30 hours a week.

But I'm sure it's much more expensive than that and I don't have time this morning to read how much higher the wage is going, but I'm sure you can use a calculator from this point. Plus the fact when an employer pays out one dollar more per hour, it costs the employer much more than that when all the other associated costs are included.

No, it's not the rents, it's the new wage.

Food

Maybe you should read it again. They said the rents ARE high. What that means is they've been high for a while and they've been able to skate by even with high rents. But........the change is the new minimum wage law.

The article claims that 150 employees are involved. If wages are forced up by one dollar an hour, that's an extra 150 dollars per hour the employer has to pay out. If the average hours per employee is 30 hours a week, that's $4,500. That's $22,500 per month. That's just one dollar an hour at 30 hours a week.

But I'm sure it's much more expensive than that and I don't have time this morning to read how much higher the wage is going, but I'm sure you can use a calculator from this point. Plus the fact when an employer pays out one dollar more per hour, it costs the employer much more than that when all the other associated costs are included.

not exactly------it is a whole complex of idiot policies
of current Democratic government in New York.
A HUGE ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM supported
by out of control tax increase on property.
Property tax is how the city GETS THE MONEY.
Of course ----huge minimum wage is another
ENTITLEMENT ----which is reflected in rising
property tax. Entitlements is how marginal politicians get their votes

Food

Putin's puppets and Bernie would agree...

Your-Money-and-Your-Life-A.F.-Branco-Cartoon-590x422.jpg

Last edited:
Food

Putin's puppets and Bernie would agree...

View attachment 212253

So now wages are entitlements?? LOL. You have not read a thing I posted.

The owner who knows the business has stated the combination oh high rents and the increased wage forced the shut down. You posting about high rent just makes you look ignorant.

its the high rents, if the rents have not gone up to much, they could pay. Its the fine dining collapse in the area due to square footage.
Manhattan’s Restaurant Real Estate Troubles Are Real: An Expert Explains
Well the owner should know. He lived it. So if you don’t mind I will listen to the owner! Cause you are willfully stupid and he isn’t.

Its the high rents and they don't want resturants, they make better money off of small places that a "fine dining " place can fit several in.

The place has changed, not much to do with the wages.

I know what he said, but its not the high wages which are not that high, I suspect they will have more jobs in that area.

Why don't you read to understand why so many restaurants are closing.

Forum List

Back