Ocasio-Cortez laments coffee shop's closure -- over wage hikes that she supports

I will listen to Penelope over the owner of the establishment that closed. Penelope definitely has better information on why the shop closed.
Smart, because I posted the reason many sit down restaurants are closing in the area.

If not for rents many would of stayed open, but as it is a large footprint of people sitting does not make up for several small shops when people walk in and go.

Terms of Service Violation
Food
How Rent Spikes Are Creating Fine Dining ‘Deserts’ In New York City
With the imminent closing of Republic, Union Square West—once home to pioneering restaurants such as Blue Water Grill and Union Square Cafe—is turning to a bland stretch of chain restaurants and stores. Here's why.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Its the rents, not really the wages.

Maybe you should read it again. They said the rents ARE high. What that means is they've been high for a while and they've been able to skate by even with high rents. But........the change is the new minimum wage law.

The article claims that 150 employees are involved. If wages are forced up by one dollar an hour, that's an extra 150 dollars per hour the employer has to pay out. If the average hours per employee is 30 hours a week, that's $4,500. That's $22,500 per month. That's just one dollar an hour at 30 hours a week.

But I'm sure it's much more expensive than that and I don't have time this morning to read how much higher the wage is going, but I'm sure you can use a calculator from this point. Plus the fact when an employer pays out one dollar more per hour, it costs the employer much more than that when all the other associated costs are included.

No, it's not the rents, it's the new wage.

not exactly------it is a whole complex of idiot policies
of current Democratic government in New York.
A HUGE ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM supported
by out of control tax increase on property.
Property tax is how the city GETS THE MONEY.
Of course ----huge minimum wage is another
ENTITLEMENT ----which is reflected in rising
property tax. Entitlements is how marginal politicians get their votes

Putin's puppets and Bernie would agree...

View attachment 212253

So now wages are entitlements?? LOL. You have not read a thing I posted.

:th_yourecute:

I was responding to this, "Entitlements is how marginal politicians get their votes" (irosie) perhaps you missed it Sweet Penelope..

... and no

Last edited:
I will listen to Penelope over the owner of the establishment that closed. Penelope definitely has better information on why the shop closed.
Smart, because I posted the reason many sit down restaurants are closing in the area.

If not for rents many would of stayed open, but as it is a large footprint of people sitting does not make up for several small shops when people walk in and go.

Costs are not siloed. They are aggregated.

Raising rents are not helped by artificially rising wages.

What was the rent on this coffee shop when it closed? How long was the lease? What was the previous rent? What was the CAM? Did the owner pay a percentage of his revenue to the landlord in addition to the base rent?

You know more than the owner. These are the questions that need to be answered to determine what caused the closure.

Let’s compare the specific rent increase on that property to the increase in labor costs on that business over the past 8years.

What percentage of total expenses was labor?

What percentage of total expenses was rent?

Penelope has these answers.

Last edited:
Penelope,

Just give us a basic income statement for the coffee shop.

Revenues
- Costs
-Expenses
= Net income

Let’s compare these stats year over year since the minimum wage hike.

Then we can discuss facts and determine why the coffee shop closed.

Food
With the imminent closing of Republic, Union Square West—once home to pioneering restaurants such as Blue Water Grill and Union Square Cafe—is turning to a bland stretch of chain restaurants and stores. Here's why.

Maybe you should read it again. They said the rents ARE high. What that means is they've been high for a while and they've been able to skate by even with high rents. But........the change is the new minimum wage law.

The article claims that 150 employees are involved. If wages are forced up by one dollar an hour, that's an extra 150 dollars per hour the employer has to pay out. If the average hours per employee is 30 hours a week, that's $4,500. That's $22,500 per month. That's just one dollar an hour at 30 hours a week.

But I'm sure it's much more expensive than that and I don't have time this morning to read how much higher the wage is going, but I'm sure you can use a calculator from this point. Plus the fact when an employer pays out one dollar more per hour, it costs the employer much more than that when all the other associated costs are included.

View attachment 212253

$ 15 per hour is an ENTITLEMENT-----for a kid who flips burgers. If not for reasonable minimum wage jobs----for unskilled work-----neither I, nor any of my four brothers would have made it thru school.----
we all got to levels equivalent to "doctoral" level.

Food

View attachment 212253

$ 15 per hour is an ENTITLEMENT-----for a kid who flips burgers. If not for reasonable minimum wage jobs----for unskilled work-----neither I, nor any of my four brothers would have make it thru school.----

Oh good gosh, cooks, bartenders, cocktail waitresses and food servers. Most are tipped and do not receive the min wage. Like always , the owners of the restaurants expect customers to supplement the wages.

View attachment 212253

$ 15 per hour is an ENTITLEMENT-----for a kid who flips burgers. If not for reasonable minimum wage jobs----for unskilled work-----neither I, nor any of my four brothers would have make it thru school.----

Oh good gosh, cooks, bartenders, cocktail waitresses and food servers. Most are tipped and do not receive the min wage. Like always , the owners of the restaurants expect customers to supplement the wages.

they are paid AT LEAST minimum wage by law.

Food

not exactly------di blasio went on a RAISE THE RENT ON COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES rampage
in order to support his out of sight POPULIST CAUSES---------Cortez is nothing novel in they
city now being murdered by ambitious "give'em
bread and circuses" politicians

Maybe if the Liberal New York government outlawed companies from having coffee machines or pots available for its workers, would force the people out to the coffee shops? That's what the San Francisco government did to help the restaurant business in their liberal cesspool.

fergit it,,,,,,,,, you want to force laborers into starbucks for thousand dollar CUPPAS

View attachment 212253

Where’s the P&L for the coffee shop so you can prove your contention it was rent expense that caused the door to close?

The owner who knows the business has stated the combination oh high rents and the increased wage forced the shut down. You posting about high rent just makes you look ignorant.

I know what he said, but its not the high wages which are not that high, I suspect they will have more jobs in that area.

Why don't you read to understand why so many restaurants are closing.

Why don’t you understand you don’t own his restaurant and have not seen his books and stop looking like a dumbass?

The owner who knows the business has stated the combination oh high rents and the increased wage forced the shut down. You posting about high rent just makes you look ignorant.

its the high rents, if the rents have not gone up to much, they could pay. Its the fine dining collapse in the area due to square footage.
Manhattan’s Restaurant Real Estate Troubles Are Real: An Expert Explains
"if both didnt happen, this wouldnt happen" :rolleyes:
I wish you understood logic.

its the high rents, if the rents have not gone up to much, they could pay. Its the fine dining collapse in the area due to square footage.
Manhattan’s Restaurant Real Estate Troubles Are Real: An Expert Explains
"if both didnt happen, this wouldnt happen" :rolleyes:
I wish you understood logic.

don't hold your breath

View attachment 212253

The only people not covered under minimum wage laws are the waiters and waitresses. All others have to be paid minimum wage.

39905892_1694836270645681_8200071610154090496_n.jpg

Food

you have as big a hole in your head as she does. :auiqs.jpg:I bet you think people having two jobs cuts unemployment am I right?

Forum List

Back