Official 2009 World Series Thread

This could be HUGE for the Yanks.

If Hamels pitches like the hamels of this season and especially this post season the Yanks can easily take game 3 tomorrow and be up 2-1

Then throw CC on 3 days rest against blanton who is a average pitcher at best with a 8_ era against the Yanks. Yanks would be huge favorites in that game and could easily be up 3-1

At that point I would throw Gaudin Game 5 against Lee and see what happens...Chances are the Phillies would win...but the series comes back to NYC being up 3-2 Yankees.

Most importantly the Yankees have Burnett for Game 6 back in the AL with the DH and Pettite on normal rest or CC on short rest for Game 7

The Phillies would have to pitch either Happ or Pedro game 6...If they pitch Happ game 6, then pedro or Hamels game 7 cause Lee will be on 2 days rest and not available for game 7 unless its out of the pen for an inning.

They just took out the big horse for any chance to play if the series goes back to NYC.

I'm liking it a lot

In essence

Game 3
Pettitte vs Hamels

Game 4
CC vs Blanton

Game 5
Gaudin vs Lee

Game 6
Burnett vs Happ or Pedro

Game 7
Pettitte or CC vs Pedro or Hamels

I like those match ups a lot

Last edited:
No way Gaudin is getting into a start.

He will start AJ on short rest in game 5 and Pettit on short rest game 6.

All three of them have done it before, and I think a lot depends on who wins game 3 & 4.

I believe Manuel is fucking up royaly, I would bring Lee for game 4 and have him for a possible game 7, NY is far to dangerous to play with and lee is a known commidity vs them.

I guarantee Gaudin gets a start...he will not be pitching AJ in a national league park...you don't want Molina and no DH in your lineup for 2 automatic outs. Pettitte hasn't pitched on short rest in over 3 years I believe and he isn't exactly a young guy anymore. He won't throw Pettitte on short rest.

AJ has good numbers on short rest but it is way to much of a liability to pitch him in the NL and having Molina play at the same time.

If Yankees win game 3 and 4 you can bank that Gaudin will pitch game 5 and if they win they win and if not they come back to New York with Burnett and CC ready to go for games 6 and 7 and they have no Lee

Makes perfect sense

You guys are throwing 3 starters. That's it.

You HAVE to win game 3, because we KILL CC on short rest. He's not effective on short rest. Last season proved it.

And Blanton's going to be on an EXTREMELY tight leash.

And Lee goes on short rest in game 7 if we get to that point. That's a def. Wow I just checked the schedule though, that only gives him 2 full days rest plus all day during game day, so call it ALMOST 3.. I don't know.

Maybe it would be Lee and Hamels in a combined effort. I mean, it's game 7. You give whater you can give.

Last edited:
Paulie...you're wrong dude.

Just because you beat CC last year 1 game on short rest doesn't mean anything. His ERA is almost a ful run lower on short rest then it is on full rest.

And we aren't throwing 3 starters because Gaudin will be starting game 5..giving Burnett full rest for game 6 and Pettitte full rest gor game 7 or cc short rest for game 7

Yanks have a major advantage in the pitching matchups....how it ends is totally up in the air..thats why you play the game

You might be right, who knows. I've just never seen a team take a shot and "waste" a game with a no-namer to start just to get full rest for someone in ANOTHER game.

Each game is too crucial to be gambling with that kind of move. We'll just have to see.

I'm going on what I know about short rest situations. Short rest is typically turns out bad the majority of the time for any given pitcher. CC's got better all-around short rest numbers. But what I know is that we killed him on short rest.

What have you done for me LATELY and all that, you know?

Plus he just didn't look comfy out there the other night. Shaking off a breaking ball (or CU, not sure) TWICE against Utley in a breaking ball count was stupid. Utley saw the shakeoff and knew he could sit on a fast ball.

He hasn't proven he can beat us yet, so let's not get hasty and expect him to win.

No worries if you guys win out right, btw. We're still friends and all :D

No way Gaudin pitches game five, won't happen.

You WANT Burnett to pitch in Phjilly, he's been good on the road and the pitcher hitting is an advantage for him. Molina can sit his ass on teh bench that game.

You WANT Burnett to pitch in Phjilly, he's been good on the road and the pitcher hitting is an advantage for him. Molina can sit his ass on teh bench that game.

Doesn't AJ refuse to pitch with Posada?

You're my dawg dude!!!

And as shaky as CC was you only got 3 hits off him? 4? And Utley was the only one that was bale to do anything...the rest of the lineup didn't do much. He pitched well enough to win. He didn't have his breaking ball...that happens to any pitcher somedays it works somedays it doesnt thats why he shook it off.

Chad Gaudin has done surpsringly well with the Yanks...he was awful with the Cubs but with the Yanks he pitched 11 games with a very nice 3.43 era. Better numbers then Blanton. If the Yanks are up 3-1 they aren't wasting a game... Anything can happen in a game..If Gaudin wins series over...if he loses then you have to face Burnett of full rest in Yankee Stadium and then Pettitte and CC for games 6 and 7 and you will be throwing out most likely Pedro and Hamels

Burnett claims that Giradi came up with the idea that Molina is his caddy.

I can't see going with Molina if Burnett has to hit, you are killing a third of the lineup.

But you never know with Giradi, he could do it, they are even saying he might play Matsui in teh OF in Philly.

Dude, I am 110% sure that there is no way Burnett pitches in Philly unless the Yanks are down 3-1 maybe. Other then that there is no way. Girardi will not play posada even in the NL with Burnett pitching. he is a str8 numbers guy and will go with Molina cause there is a vast difference between Molina and Posada catching for him. It would be reatrded to have Molina and Burnett hit in a bottom of the lineup which is already struggling.

Guaranteed you see Gaudin start game 5 unless Yanks are down 3-1.

Last edited:

I can't see going with Molina if Burnett has to hit, you are killing a third of the lineup.

But you never know with Giradi, he could do it, they are even saying he might play Matsui in teh OF in Philly.

Burnett's hitters avg. is like low .200's with Molina and close to .300 with Posada. Plus, they seem to have disagreements about pitch selections.

I think that as long as AJ pitches, no matter where, Molina is catching. But that's just my opinon.

Yeah he's saying it but he won't. Matsui is way to much of a liability in the field. First of all you have to shuffle the field too much...matsui can't play right so you have to put him in Left, Damon in Center and Melky in right. Defense suffers too much.

He will sit the bench to pinch hit for the pitcher for specific situation just like he did in all the other inter league games

You're my dawg dude!!!

And as shaky as CC was you only got 3 hits off him? 4? And Utley was the only one that was bale to do anything...the rest of the lineup didn't do much. He pitched well enough to win. He didn't have his breaking ball...that happens to any pitcher somedays it works somedays it doesnt thats why he shook it off.

Chad Gaudin has done surpsringly well with the Yanks...he was awful with the Cubs but with the Yanks he pitched 11 games with a very nice 3.43 era. Better numbers then Blanton. If the Yanks are up 3-1 they aren't wasting a game... Anything can happen in a game..If Gaudin wins series over...if he loses then you have to face Burnett of full rest in Yankee Stadium and then Pettitte and CC for games 6 and 7 and you will be throwing out most likely Pedro and Hamels
If you're up 3-1 going back to NY, I don't see a problem taking a gamble saving an ace-style pitcher for the sake of rest.

But ONLY with a 2 game lead. If it's 2-2, the whole game changes.

I'm still praying for a timely rainout that gives Lee a chance to pitch game 4, and then have maybe regular 3 game rest for a potential game 7

This thing's going 7 games. I'm damn sure you guys have Rollin's stupid ass "5 games" comment on your club house bulletin board, too. That was a stupid thing to say. It's one thing to say you're the team to beat before a season starts, but it's another thing to predict a series.

We will have to see how it plays out, since I'm just as sure Burnett will pitch as Andrew he won't on short rest.

The Molina thing goes either way, Giradi knows he can always pinch hit Molina after the fifth inning anyway so its not a killing thing to play him.

I'm pulling my hair out tonight with no game to watch.

And fuck a bunch of hockey and pre-season basketball, too.

Looks like a DVR night.

I have the feeling that if the Yankees win tomorrow you see Lee for game 4 so he is available for game 7

Just makes no sense to pitch him game 5 and not have him able to pitch either game in NYC if it goes that far

I have the feeling that if the Yankees win tomorrow you see Lee for game 4 so he is available for game 7

Just makes no sense to pitch him game 5 and not have him able to pitch either game in NYC if it goes that far
I agree, if NY goes up 2-1 with CC going Manuel will have to have balls of steel to not start Lee.

Forum List

Back