Official 2009 World Series Thread

Nice finding the strike zone there Andy. 2-0. Time to bust it open. :lol:

Edit: Scratch that, 3-0.

Last edited:
Cole Hamels should kill himself for letting Swisher and Pettitte get the best of him...Phillies are lucky this is even a game and Pettitte isn't sharp tonight

Holy shit!

The Mayans were 3 years off...the end of the worst must be imminent
Swisher is productive

Dear Phillies,
Do what you do better than any professional franchise in history, lose.

Pretty harsh man. We won it last year, and of course that doesn't erase all the losses, but coming from a philly fan, it sure as fuck did help.

Sour grapes from getting your ass kicked in the NLCS? :D

I'm not panicking, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see Lee in game 4 now.

But Blanton is no slouch. He's got a nasty curve, and he has moments of dominance.

I'm thinking we probably see Blanton tomorrow, and it we can squeek out a win, we get Lee on regular rest in game 5. I'm thinking that because CC is on short rest, stats aside, he's vulnerable. Whereas Blanton is extremely rested. Let Lee get his rest and take your chances on a possibly tired CC.

Last edited:
I am loving our position for obvious reasons. CC has pitched stellar so far and his era is better on 3 days rest.

Yanks have a huge advantage tomorrow...they should win...but we will wait and see.

Maybe Jimmy meant Phillies in 6 huh

fuckin idiot...made me happy that he made the last out

Well he did jokingly say he'd be nice and give you 6.

I agree, the man's an idiot for saying what he said.

Dear Phillies,
Do what you do better than any professional franchise in history, lose.

Pretty harsh man. We won it last year, and of course that doesn't erase all the losses, but coming from a philly fan, it sure as fuck did help.

Sour grapes from getting your ass kicked in the NLCS? :D

I'm not panicking, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see Lee in game 4 now.

But Blanton is no slouch. He's got a nasty curve, and he has moments of dominance.

I'm thinking we probably see Blanton tomorrow, and it we can squeek out a win, we get Lee on regular rest in game 5.
Damn right I have sour grapes! I had tickets to game 6.......:lol:

Face it Paulie, the Yanks have better pitching, better hitting, and better fielding. The Phillies only hope is luck.

I'll stay with my original call, Yanks in 5. It's their year.

I'm ghost.

It's way too late to get into this now, I need some sleep.

Later all.

NY wins 8-5 behind three HR and below average Pettit, but super bullpen work from 3 of 4 relievers.

NY now leads the series 2-1.

After 2 HR in game one, Utley is hitless, Howard may set a record for Ks (2 more tonight).

Werth hit some shot, 465!

Arod, Swisher and Matsui cash in for NY, and even pettit chipped in with an RBI single (come on Cole, keep working the corner!)

Sabathia tomorrow vs Blanton, as we all mentioned yesterday, manuel may have handed NY the series with his regid no short rest pitching from his ace.

NY wins 8-5 behind three HR and below average Pettit, but super bullpen work from 3 of 4 relievers.

NY now leads the series 2-1.

After 2 HR in game one, Utley is hitless, Howard may set a record for Ks (2 more tonight).

Werth hit some shot, 465!

Arod, Swisher and Matsui cash in for NY, and even pettit chipped in with an RBI single (come on Cole, keep working the corner!)

Sabathia tomorrow vs Blanton, as we all mentioned yesterday, manuel may have handed NY the series with his regid no short rest pitching from his ace.

I don't know why people think Blanton's a gimme. He pitched well in his WS start last year, and he can shut a team down. If he locates his fast ball, his curve is nasty.

CC on short rest = win everytime for us so far. In fact, he hasn't beaten us YET...REGARDLESS of rest.

We HAVE to win tonight though, there's no way we come back from 3-1.

Don't be surprised to see Manuel make a game-time decision to start Lee, though. It wouldn't surprise me in the least, but for some reason I doubt he will. If it was me, I probably would, since the opposing pitcher is also on short rest, so why not? Plus, that leaves him available for a game 7 start. At this point, there's no other possible starter for game 7 except Hamels, and that worries the shit out of me. I think he got his money last off-season and he's a So-Cal pretty boy who's a brand new Dad and just has other shit on his mind. He doesn't seem to care about baseball, it's written all over his face.

What's funny is I watched Swisher give an interview to Rosenthal during the pre-game rain delay and he looked and sounded really loose and really confident. I had a feeling he was going to do something to make an impact. Just had a swagger about him.

It sucks that I have to wait to celebrate this Eagles bloodbath against the Giants. Because if the Phils lose tonight, I couldn't give two shits about the Eagles game.

No game is a gimmie...however if you're reasoning is "he pitched well last year int he WS" is your logic; you may be in trouble my friend.

Pretty sure Mr. Cole Hamels pitched excellent last year in the World Series :)

CC on short rest= win every time for you...is meaningless at this point dude. That was last year and 1 game...CC has been money this whole post season including the game he lost against Lee and the game against the Angels on short rest. Lets not kid ourselves...as off as he was game 1 which we can all agree he was off especially with his breaking ball which is his big out pitch...the Phillies did nothing against him with the exception of Utley with 2 solo shots.

His ERA is 1 run lower on 3 days rest then it is on normal and he is well rested for it.

Blanton's ERA since Sept. 1 is 5.22. He's surrendered the fourth-most home runs in the majors this season (30) and is pitching on the always efficient 12-days'-rest plan. His career era against the Yankees is a very high 8+.

Obviously baseball is a funny game and anything can happen and CC can get shelled and Phillies win...however by looking at the matchups and numbers and performances this year....Yankees have a clear and big advantage.

Blanton is known for keeping the ball up thats why he gives up so many bombs...Yankees have been swinging at bad pitches low. Balls up in the zone might be a HR parade.

We shall see though. Hopefully Yanks can get this win tonight...going up 3-1 is fucking huge!

No game is a gimmie...however if you're reasoning is "he pitched well last year int he WS" is your logic; you may be in trouble my friend.

Pretty sure Mr. Cole Hamels pitched excellent last year in the World Series :)
Hamels was up for salary arbitration this past offseason, and knew he needed to upsell his value. Therein lies the difference.

I believe Blanton is a FA after this season, too.

CC on short rest= win every time for you...is meaningless at this point dude. That was last year and 1 game...CC has been money this whole post season including the game he lost against Lee and the game against the Angels on short rest. Lets not kid ourselves...as off as he was game 1 which we can all agree he was off especially with his breaking ball which is his big out pitch...the Phillies did nothing against him with the exception of Utley with 2 solo shots.

His ERA is 1 run lower on 3 days rest then it is on normal and he is well rested for it.

Blanton's ERA since Sept. 1 is 5.22. He's surrendered the fourth-most home runs in the majors this season (30) and is pitching on the always efficient 12-days'-rest plan. His career era against the Yankees is a very high 8+.

Obviously baseball is a funny game and anything can happen and CC can get shelled and Phillies win...however by looking at the matchups and numbers and performances this year....Yankees have a clear and big advantage.

Blanton is known for keeping the ball up thats why he gives up so many bombs...Yankees have been swinging at bad pitches low. Balls up in the zone might be a HR parade.

We shall see though. Hopefully Yanks can get this win tonight...going up 3-1 is fucking huge!
Everything you said is agreeable to me.

Blanton can definitely suck at times. He's no ace. But he can also shut you down.

The game just needs to be played at this point. I had almsot no feeling during the whole Eagles game. It was nice to yell and scream during the big plays, but my heart is baseball. If we don't win tonight I don't give a fuck about the Eagles being in 1st. I used to care more, but I don't have the mental and emotional capacity to follow more than one sport at a time anymore.

Football season starts after the Phillies season is officially over. That's just the way it is for me.

When Arizona beat us last year, it was strange. I didn't feel a thing. Normally, in years past when we lost like that, you wouldn't dare go near me the rest of the night and try to talk to me. This time around, I was like "eh".

Last edited:
I'm with ya...I would sell every player on the Jets roster for a leadoff single by Jeter today!

Thats what baseball means to me

Manuel's a tricky dick, too.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him call Lee at game-time.

I would. If nothing else, it increases your odds of winning this game AND removes Cole Hamels from 100% certainty as game 7 starter.

Lee is the right move...but it won't happen.

I heard that Lee doesn't want to risk his arm

Forum List

Back