Official USMB Shutdown Showdown Thread --- Week of Jan 14th, 2019

Is the political game of chicken being played by BOTH parties worth the lives of a few diabetics?

• Yes, never give in on this wall issue

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, both parties should compromise and get the workers back to work

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Trump should declare a national emergency and resolve the issue

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Dastardly Donald has taken 800 thousand people hostage. my friends, we have a hostage taker as commander in chief

Not only is this ridiculous hyperbole, but it is word for word what Democrats and media jerks are saying. Proving conclusively that you simply parrot what your Democrat overlords tell you to say and they love you for it.

Hyperbole?

What's the purpose of the shutdown?
Leverage? leveraging innocents=Hostages.
The purpose is to show his 37% of dotards how strong he is Who cares how many he hurts But that's his lifes story
again, you act like it's personal. too funny. obammy was my president even though I didn't vote for him. he fked up the country with obammycare. he was still my president. no matter what you say or do, trump is your president. just let that settle in on you!! wack job.

I just read that by the time this is over it will be the cost of the wall. can't make this shit up. so the objective of the dems is to not give trump 5.7 billion, instead they'll waste 5.7 billion on a shutdown. can't make it up no sirreee bob. Who's bob?
And Trump doesn't care who and how many he hurts ?? After all like he said most are democrats Trump give you a warm fuzzy feeling??
See how stupid you are. to spite the man you'd prefer fking 800k of our countryman costing 5.7 Billion instead of just giving the president the 5.7 Billion. dude that doesn't qualify as anything but souless.

You remember Trump saying HE'S PROUD to own this shutdown That he wouldn't blame Pelosi or Schumer Why are you?
he never said he wouldn't blame Pelosi or Schumer. dude, you just make it up as you go eh?
he never said he wouldn't blame Pelosi or Schumer. dude, you just make it up as you go eh?
You should quit while you're behind.

I sit corrected. thanks. I'm a bigger man than you, I can admit I'm wrong. A better man is someone that can admit to an error. so yep, he said I won't blame you chuck. I missed that at the very end before.

The estimate was not intended to become public. It was just leaked.
Their previous estimate was 0.1% every two weeks.

"The Trump administration now estimates that the cost of the government shutdown will be twice as steep as originally forecast.
The original estimate that the partial shutdown would subtract 0.1 percentage point from growth every two weeks has now been doubled to a 0.1 percentage point subtraction every week, according to an official who asked not to be named."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/source-white-house-believes-shutdown-will-be-twice-as-costly.html‬
...and....
Conservatives are conflicted. One commented that it has to be a lie because the official is anonymous, and the other said it just doesn’t matter.
why not fund the wall and call it a day? you didn't care when billions went to other countries for support. why now? oh yeah TDS. keep it shutdown until the 5.7B makes it on a budget. we're cool with the government staying shutdown. are you? at some point someone will need to blink and it won't be trump.

BTW, the dems know what it will take to reopen the government and are doing nothing. and you don't care. it seems you don't care others are not getting paid.

1. Because, having wasted billions on an unnecessary and expensive wall, at a time when the US is running the largest deficits in history, and when there are major issues in the country, like infrastructure spending, education and retraining, and opiod abuse that are not even being mentioned let alone addressed is very foolish, and unwise.

2. Because the Trump Administration is asking for a blank cheque. They haven't done a feasability study, provided cost estimates, a timetable, an environmental impact study, or any of the other standard practices that a member of government must provide when asking for a major appropriation like this. No one can just say to Congress "Give me $5 billion. I want to build a wall". No one. Not even the President.

3. Because the American public just voted a resounding "NO" to the border policies of Donald J. Trump, including building tent cities on the border, detaining asylum seekers at the public's expense.

4, Just the cost estimates of the cost of holding the people currently in detention along the Southern Border until their cases are heard are $5 billion. And holding these people violates their Constitutional rights.

5. And because one should never give into a child's temper tantrum. It makes it all that much more difficult to get him to behave properly the next time he decides to pitch a fit.

"The Trump administration now estimates that the cost of the government shutdown will be twice as steep as originally forecast.
The original estimate that the partial shutdown would subtract 0.1 percentage point from growth every two weeks has now been doubled to a 0.1 percentage point subtraction every week, according to an official who asked not to be named."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/source-white-house-believes-shutdown-will-be-twice-as-costly.html‬
...and....
Conservatives are conflicted. One commented that it has to be a lie because the official is anonymous, and the other said it just doesn’t matter.
They are spinning in different directions.

...and....
why not fund the wall and call it a day? you didn't care when billions went to other countries for support. why now? oh yeah TDS. keep it shutdown until the 5.7B makes it on a budget. we're cool with the government staying shutdown. are you? at some point someone will need to blink and it won't be trump.

BTW, the dems know what it will take to reopen the government and are doing nothing. and you don't care. it seems you don't care others are not getting paid.

1. Because, having wasted billions on an unnecessary and expensive wall, at a time when the US is running the largest deficits in history, and when there are major issues in the country, like infrastructure spending, education and retraining, and opiod abuse that are not even being mentioned let alone addressed is very foolish, and unwise.

2. Because the Trump Administration is asking for a blank cheque. They haven't done a feasability study, provided cost estimates, a timetable, an environmental impact study, or any of the other standard practices that a member of government must provide when asking for a major appropriation like this. No one can just say to Congress "Give me $5 billion. I want to build a wall". No one. Not even the President.

3. Because the American public just voted a resounding "NO" to the border policies of Donald J. Trump, including building tent cities on the border, detaining asylum seekers at the public's expense.

4, Just the cost estimates of the cost of holding the people currently in detention along the Southern Border until their cases are heard are $5 billion. And holding these people violates their Constitutional rights.

5. And because one should never give into a child's temper tantrum. It makes it all that much more difficult to get him to behave properly the next time he decides to pitch a fit.
their wasting 5.7 Billion with the shutdown, that doesn't seem to be bothering you at all. so excuse me, ahem, you're just confused.

...and....

It's clear to all but the truly stupid that the Dems are the ones having a tantrum, not Trump. I mean how damn stupid do you have to be to see that Democrats are now refusing to pay for something that just two years ago they agreed was necessary. But Trump is wanting the same thing he has wanted since at least 2010 when he first said publicly that we should have a wall.

Why are you liberals so dishonest?

...and....

Hmmmm......

I really like the numbering you used.

Where'd you get that idea?????

he's a contractor, I believe him, he builds high rise buildings into the clouds I hope he knows walls like an expert. The border experts however state a wall is best for the security of our country. And on that, trump listens to them. Has been since 2016.

The level of ignorance about Trump is astounding, mostly from his sheep. Trump is not and never has been a contractor. He is a developer, he provides money for things to be built. He does not know shit about the actual building process.

...and....

their wasting 5.7 Billion with the shutdown, that doesn't seem to be bothering you at all. so excuse me, ahem, you're just confused.

It should be noted that the very same Democrats voted to fund the wall and to the same amount that Trump requests now.

"Sen. Chuck Schumer and then-senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton were among a bipartisan majority that voted in favor of the legislation, and it was signed into law by President George W. Bush." Fact check: Did Democrats once support border wall?

And the same amount Trump is asking.

This is what they voted for in 2006:
$4.10 in 2006 → $5.11 in 2018
$4.10 in 2006 → 2018 | Inflation Calculator

One side invites the other side to a working lunch to try to work something out , the other side REFUSES to even attend.

I think we all know which side is throwing a tantrum.

...and....

It should be noted that the very same Democrats voted to fund the wall and to the same amount that Trump requests now.

"Sen. Chuck Schumer and then-senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton were among a bipartisan majority that voted in favor of the legislation, and it was signed into law by President George W. Bush." Fact check: Did Democrats once support border wall?

Dems supported funding for the wall in 2006 and in 2013 because they KNEW that neither Bush nor Obama were ever going to build it. This time , they know if Trump gets that money, the wall is getting built.

Dems supported funding for the wall in 2006 and in 2013 because they KNEW that neither Bush nor Obama were ever going to build it. This time , they know if Trump gets that money, the wall is getting built.

Same reason the Repubs supported it then also.

One side invites the other side to a working lunch to try to work something out , the other side REFUSES to even attend.

I think we all know which side is throwing a tantrum.

Yeah, the guy that walked out of the last meeting and tweeted "bye bye".

Same reason the Repubs supported it then also.

Absolutely true, I said that exact thing in a thread here last week. Neither party actually wants secure borders.

...and....

No, I'm not confused.

What Trump is doing is violating every Constitutional norm, every principle of good goverance, and every shred of morality, decency, and humanity possible. This inhumanity cannot be allowed to stand unchallenged. This is a battle for the soul of the country, and you can't put a price on that.

...and....

No, I'm not confused.

What Trump is doing is violating every Constitutional norm, every principle of good goverance, and every shred of morality, decency, and humanity possible. This inhumanity cannot be allowed to stand unchallenged. This is a battle for the soul of the country, and you can't put a price on that.

* what a load of malarky.

Do you stick around meetings after someone tells you "I won't make a deal with you?"

This is the way negotiations work, seems most people know that.

One side...will you give me what I want...

Other side...No.

Then the true negotiations start.

Have you never been in sales?

Do you stick around meetings after someone tells you "I won't make a deal with you?"

This is the way negotiations work, seems most people know that.

One side...will you give me what I want...

Other side...No.

Then the true negotiations start.

Have you never been in sales?

Yes, that's how they start, but that meeting wsn't the start, and your post assumes that at some point Democrats will get off the "no" but it doesn't appear that's going to happen does it.

Forum List

Back