Official USMB Shutdown Showdown Thread --- Week of Jan 14th, 2019

Is the political game of chicken being played by BOTH parties worth the lives of a few diabetics?

• Yes, never give in on this wall issue

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, both parties should compromise and get the workers back to work

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Trump should declare a national emergency and resolve the issue

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
"We have secured enough Republican votes in the Senate to reopen government. Our obstacle now is Mitch McConnell, who won’t call the vote for what seems like 2 reasons: 1. He won’t operate independently of Trump 2. He’s putting his own re-election ahead of 800,000 working people" - AOC

Dems gain nothing by giving in

It only encourages Trump to shut down Government whenever he doesn’t get his way

Conversely Trump gains nothing by giving in.

Trump is isolated

Congress wants to end it, Democrats want it ended, Govt Employees want it ended, the People want it ended

He will eventually give in by declaring a national emergency. It is his only out

It is about the 2020 election. The GOP don't want to give in. The country super divided. Mostly because of people such as you, actually. Always blaming one party. Both parties are at fault for lying to the American people.
Trump is the biggest liar in American history

He never had any intention of building a wall, knew Mexico would never pay

Let him answer to his voters
I agree the Wall was just hyperbole. He's very good at finding some symbol to serve as a gathering post for his various grievances. Deepstate, even though he's a YUUUGE user of civil laws to avoid his own debts and take other people's property.

Everyone dislikes illegal immigration, and we especially dislike illegal immigrants who do violent crimes, even though they do them on a less frequent basis than people born here .... but still we're stuck with some fellow citizens we don't like (unless we're white nationalists) and just drop the illegal folks in the river. Most of us feel like that, even if we know it's wrong. But Trump offers something easier to believe in. A BIG BEAUTIFUL health plan bigger and better and cheaper than Obamacare.

BUT Trump will use the SOTU to spread more oversimplistic lies. He may actually improve in the polls.

You want to hear the dems scream? After 30 days being off the job all those gov employees can be terminated. Good way to reduce the size of government. Just bring back enough to make the gov. function if those working work full time actually work full time. Get rid of the laid back slackers that know they cant be fired. Good job chuck and nancy in reducing the size of government.
Trump can individually select the slackers. Actually he cannot, but enjoy 'the dream.'

Dems gain nothing by giving in

It only encourages Trump to shut down Government whenever he doesn’t get his way

Trump is isolated

Congress wants to end it, Democrats want it ended, Govt Employees want it ended, the People want it ended

He will eventually give in by declaring a national emergency. It is his only out

It is about the 2020 election. The GOP don't want to give in. The country super divided. Mostly because of people such as you, actually. Always blaming one party. Both parties are at fault for lying to the American people.

I agree the Wall was just hyperbole. He's very good at finding some symbol to serve as a gathering post for his various grievances. Deepstate, even though he's a YUUUGE user of civil laws to avoid his own debts and take other people's property.

Everyone dislikes illegal immigration, and we especially dislike illegal immigrants who do violent crimes, even though they do them on a less frequent basis than people born here .... but still we're stuck with some fellow citizens we don't like (unless we're white nationalists) and just drop the illegal folks in the river. Most of us feel like that, even if we know it's wrong. But Trump offers something easier to believe in. A BIG BEAUTIFUL health plan bigger and better and cheaper than Obamacare.

BUT Trump will use the SOTU to spread more oversimplistic lies. He may actually improve in the polls.
I don’t think 2019 will be a good year for our President

Trump is isolated

I don’t think 2019 will be a good year for our President

Probably True. He's lost the House and McConnell hates his Yuuuge Guts. And even under the best case, Mueller's report is not going to be good. At least if Mueller makes it a fact that cannot be ignored that Trump is owned by Russians, and that was at least a motive for them feeding him information. Even if he didn't solicit it, and even if he somehow says "I didn't know it came from them" .... it's not good. It may not hurt him with his base.

The dems have some danger though. Trump's finished with getting anything done unless Justice Ginsburg dies (hope she won't) but we all know that border security would be better if we built some more barriers at ports of entry. If the dems are reasonable, Trump will look to show his base that the dems caved to his bs, even if all they do is behave responsibly. But not acting responsibly would have dangers too.

Their salaries and benefits an envy of most Americans working in the private sector.

Can’t get fired for poor performance.

Retirement packages that are extinct in the private sector. Most Americans have to save to be able to retire, government workers do not.

Let the shutdown continue. They don’t like it, get a job in the private sector.

Trump can implement a Reduction in Force (everyone in the private sector knows what this is) after 30 calendar days of furlough. This is a fabulous opportunity to reduce the cost of government permanently.

Senior Trump official tells president in anonymous op-ed to shutter shutdown agencies forever | Daily Mail Online

How many times are you sheep going to post this same lie?

According to all of you they are not in a non-pay status, they are in a pay-deferred status, thus they would not qualify for the RIF, which still takes about 50 steps and a long time.
According to all of you they are not in a non-pay status, they are in a pay-deferred status, thus they would not qualify for the RIF, which still takes about 50 steps and a long time.

Thanks for supporting the OP. Americans in the private sector get lay-off notices at anytime, usually unexpected. It’s almost impossible to lose a government job AS YOU POINT OUT.

I laid out the process for a RIF, not for getting rid of bad employees.

You are almost too stupid to talk to
0.18% government employees get fired. 70% of those were during probation period.

1.4% for the private sector.

RIF requires management to fire based upon tenure. Performance is #4 on the list for tie breakers.

Let them work in the private sector if they don’t like it.

Tell us why that’s a good thing, Karl.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washing...s-why-federal-employees-rarely-get-fired.html

Their salaries and benefits an envy of most Americans working in the private sector.

Can’t get fired for poor performance.

Retirement packages that are extinct in the private sector. Most Americans have to save to be able to retire, government workers do not.

Let the shutdown continue. They don’t like it, get a job in the private sector.

Trump can implement a Reduction in Force (everyone in the private sector knows what this is) after 30 calendar days of furlough. This is a fabulous opportunity to reduce the cost of government permanently.

Senior Trump official tells president in anonymous op-ed to shutter shutdown agencies forever | Daily Mail Online

Thanks for supporting the OP. Americans in the private sector get lay-off notices at anytime, usually unexpected. It’s almost impossible to lose a government job AS YOU POINT OUT.

0.18% government employees get fired. 70% of those were during probation period.

RIF requires management to fire based upon tenure. Performance is #4 on the list for tie breakers.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washing...s-why-federal-employees-rarely-get-fired.html

How does that compare to private industry of the same type of job?

1.4% for private sector.

1.4% for private sector.
From your link...

What we don't know is how those percentages compare to the private sector. The Department of Labor Statistics estimate the private sector laid off or discharged about 1.4 percent of its workforce during 2014 — but those are not all for performance reasons.

From the Daily Caller, an anonymous alleged employee of the administration*.

The lapse in appropriations is more than a battle over a wall. It is an opportunity to strip wasteful government agencies for good. On an average day, roughly 15 percent of the employees around me are exceptional patriots serving their country. I wish I could give competitive salaries to them and no one else. But 80 percent feel no pressure to produce results. If they don’t feel like doing what they are told, they don’t...

But President Trump can end this abuse. Senior officials can reprioritize during an extended shutdown, focus on valuable results and weed out the saboteurs. We do not want most employees to return, because we are working better without them. Sure, we empathize with families making tough financial decisions, like mine, and just like private citizens who have to find other work and bring competitive value every day, while paying more than a third of their salary in federal taxes.

I believe every word of this came from an administration* official. The contempt for public service is pure modern Republicanism. The superiority complex about how families "like mine" are scrapping to make ends meet is pure modern conservatism. And the paranoia about weeding out saboteurs is pure Trumpian boob-bait. This is bullying dressed up as empathy.

I don't know where the people who work with Native Americans, and especially those who work in the various health clinics that service our indigenous peoples, rank on this person's sliding scale of essential employees. Maybe this person thinks the people who work those jobs are part of the 15 percent of federal employees worth their salaries. But, in any case, those particular employees are in deep trouble because of the shutdown. From the AP:

In New Mexico, a lone police officer patrolled a Native American reservation larger in size than Houston on a shift that normally has three people, responding to multiple car wrecks during a snow storm, emergency calls and requests for welfare checks. Elsewhere, federally funded road maintenance programs are operating with skeleton crews and struggling to keep roads clear on remote reservations. Tribal members said they can't get referrals for specialty care from the Indian Health Service if their conditions aren't life-threatening.

Native American tribes rely heavily on funding guaranteed by treaties with the U.S., acts of Congress and other agreements for public safety, social services, education and health care for their members. Because of the shutdown, tribal officials say some programs are on the brink of collapse and others are surviving with tribes filling funding gaps.

About 9,000 Indian Health Service employees, or 60 percent, are working without pay and 35 percent are working with funding streams not affected by the shutdown, according to the Health and Human Services department's shutdown plan. That includes staff providing direct care to patients. The agency delivers health care to about 2.2 million Native Americans and Alaska Natives.

The agency gets money from the Interior Department, whose budget is snared by the shutdown. For many tribal members, IHS is the only option for health care unless they want to pay out of pocket or have other insurance. Benefits under programs like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are unaffected by the partial government shutdown.

And even more tragic is the effect in Montana on the search for dozens of Native women who have gone missing. The United States government is letting Native peoples down. That's truly hard to imagine.

There are definitely some government employees affected by this shutdown, perhaps many of those you mentioned, who have jobs that are important. However there is no doubt in any reasonable person’s mind that the federal government is fat, and by and large overpaid compared to the output of a private sector job. The reality is that it’s unavoidable. There is literally no way you can expect similar productivity in a competitive environment to the results in a government job. Waste and inefficiency flourish where there is no profit motive.
You think so? Why is it that for profit is by definition less wasteful and inefficient? I'm Belgian. My Healthcare system has very limited for profit motive. My state run health insurance company has a staff of about 10 people to serve my town, population 30000. If I go to a pharmacy I get my script filled immediately. I don't have to come back after a pharmacy tech calls the health insurance. I can let my doctor do a house call if I so desire. If I go to a hospital for a procedure a get 5 single sheets of papers to fill. Can you say the same in your for profit system? For profit has just one overriding incentive.... making profit. If being inefficient or wasteful generates that profit, wasteful and inefficient it will be.

I am not familiar with the Healthcare system in the tiny country of Belgium (US has seven states with more people than Belgium), and healthcare is a different animal than other industries. I will say this, I’d love to adopt a similar system to what Belgium employs, but that would require the federal government to cede control of a system for 330 million people to states who can manage their own system for smaller groups. Don’t pretend for a minute that the Belgium system or any other countries system with much smaller population can be extrapolated to be efficient and effective for 30 times as many people.

1.4% for private sector.

I dispute that as a valid comparison. Most government workers do not have equivalents in the private sector. My company doesn't pay people to sit around doing nothing all day or work on political campaigns on the company's dime.

Why are Pelosi and Schumer still getting their paycheck? They stopped paying the Gov. Employees. Trump is donating his salary.

1.4% for private sector.

I dispute that as a valid comparison. Most government workers do not have equivalents in the private sector. My company doesn't pay people to sit around doing nothing all day or work on political campaigns on the company's dime.

yet a lazy piece of shit like you still works for them...seems you are not telling us the truth

The Pelosi shut down is hurting millions of Americans, but it's been great for the Democratic Party’s Mexican Drug Cartels and Human Traffickers.

1.4% for private sector.

yet a lazy piece of shit like you still works for them...seems you are not telling us the truth

You know absolutely nothing about my life or my career, so your opinion is a pile of steaming excrement.

1.4% for private sector.

You know absolutely nothing about my life or my career, so your opinion is a pile of steaming excrement.

and the same can be said about you and 99.9% of the government workers...yet you have no problem piling on your steaming excrement post after post after post.

1.4% for private sector.

and the same can be said about you and 99.9% of the government workers...yet you have no problem piling on your steaming excrement post after post after post.

You are dull, boring, uninteresting and quite reliably wrong.

Not to mention 30 democrats having a party at the resort while 800000 people don't get a paycheck because they refuse to negotiate with our president.

Now is NOT a good time to be a democrat.

I notice the GOP propaganda says call it a “party”

The Dems went there on a fact finding and fund raising effort for Hurricane Maria recovery. You know......Hurricane Maria, an actual crisis

The same crisis that Trump wants to pull construction funds away from to pay for his wall

And liberals call this "fact finding." What facts was he finding?

vacation-democrats.jpg

I think he was investigating the cellulite ration of the bikini babe. Look at all that cottage cheese.
:ack-1:

1.4% for private sector.

You are dull, boring, uninteresting and quite reliably wrong.

Never wrong, you do not know 99.9% of the Fed Govt work force yet you continue to pile your steaming excrement post after post after post. I know you better than you know that 99.9%.

You are a fraud and a fake and a lazy piece of shit.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back