Official USMB Shutdown Showdown Thread --- Week of Jan 14th, 2019

Is the political game of chicken being played by BOTH parties worth the lives of a few diabetics?

• Yes, never give in on this wall issue

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, both parties should compromise and get the workers back to work

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Trump should declare a national emergency and resolve the issue

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Dems gain nothing by giving in

It only encourages Trump to shut down Government whenever he doesn’t get his way

Conversely Trump gains nothing by giving in.

Trump is isolated

Congress wants to end it, Democrats want it ended, Govt Employees want it ended, the People want it ended

He will eventually give in by declaring a national emergency. It is his only out

It only encourages Trump to shut down Government whenever he doesn’t get his way

Trump is isolated

Congress wants to end it, Democrats want it ended, Govt Employees want it ended, the People want it ended

He will eventually give in by declaring a national emergency. It is his only out

It is about the 2020 election. The GOP don't want to give in. The country super divided. Mostly because of people such as you, actually. Always blaming one party. Both parties are at fault for lying to the American people.

The despicable Democrat filth will cave as soon as their welfare queens and Illegals start bitching they are not getting their food stamps.

Maybe we will have riots like they have in France.

States warn food stamp recipients to budget early benefit payments due to shutdown

States warn food stamp recipients to budget early benefit payments due to shutdown

State agencies are warning food stamp recipients to carefully budget their grocery purchases once they receive their February benefits weeks earlier than normal due to the partial government shutdown.

The Department of Agriculture's backup plan for paying out Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits amid the lapse in funding means it could be 40 days — or longer, in some cases — before additional money is added to recipients' benefit cards. There is also no guarantee about when nearly 39 million low-income Americans will next receive another payment to help them buy groceries.

The biggest recipients are red states...why would the Dems worry?

They won't be, once the welfare class has been purged.
I'm all for eliminating the biggest welfare spending. Tax expenditures. They add up to twice what we spend on traditional welfare programs.

And you are probably one of the leeches who takes advantage of tax expenditures.

Not that I blame you. It would be stupid to leave that money on the table.

But if you oppose eliminating them, then you are a leech worse than any person in poverty living on food stamps.

You are way over the heads of almost all these POTUS apologists on USMB.

The Coast Guard is part of the United States armed forces, and they are not getting paid. The point is not that they'll get paid someday. The mortgage is due now. The car payment is due now. The light bill is due now. A trip to the grocery store needs to happen now. Every missed payment lowers their credit rating now. Coast Guard personnel are utilizing food banks to feed their families. I am embarrassed by the way our government is treating members of the U.S. armed forces. They are being used as pawns in a political pissing contest by both sides. The same can be said of air traffic controllers, border patrol, TSA, federal law enforcement.

Their options are to:

Tap into savings which may have been set aside for other purposes
Take a loan or credit cards that affect your credit rating
Pay late which affects your credit rating

None are the fault of the employee
Welcome to the world of working Americans.

Almost. Private sector workers don’t get the comfort of knowing their job is guaranteed and they’ll get paid for staying at home during the shutdown.

and then we have teachers in LA that went out on strike. using the children as hostages to their wallet. the dems have zero class or honor.

Their salaries and benefits an envy of most Americans working in the private sector.

Can’t get fired for poor performance.

Retirement packages that are extinct in the private sector. Most Americans have to save to be able to retire, government workers do not.

Let the shutdown continue. They don’t like it, get a job in the private sector.

Trump can implement a Reduction in Force (everyone in the private sector knows what this is) after 30 calendar days of furlough. This is a fabulous opportunity to reduce the cost of government permanently.

Senior Trump official tells president in anonymous op-ed to shutter shutdown agencies forever | Daily Mail Online

How many times are you sheep going to post this same lie?

According to all of you they are not in a non-pay status, they are in a pay-deferred status, thus they would not qualify for the RIF, which still takes about 50 steps and a long time.
According to all of you they are not in a non-pay status, they are in a pay-deferred status, thus they would not qualify for the RIF, which still takes about 50 steps and a long time.

Thanks for supporting the OP. Americans in the private sector get lay-off notices at anytime, usually unexpected. It’s almost impossible to lose a government job AS YOU POINT OUT.

You want to hear the dems scream? After 30 days being off the job all those gov employees can be terminated. Good way to reduce the size of government. Just bring back enough to make the gov. function if those working work full time actually work full time. Get rid of the laid back slackers that know they cant be fired. Good job chuck and nancy in reducing the size of government.

These people are owed their pay. That's the agreement the government made with them.
Republicans sure do like to avoid paying bills they run up.
Lay them off then.
Go ahead, and see how that works out.
they can be released after 22 working days or 30 days. and back pay for the work in between is what they get. you remain the confused fk in here.
What are you talking about?

These people aren't being paid, they deserve to be, and you and your fellow talk radio bunnies are all happy 'n stuff about it.

Good. Enjoy.
Yeah, it’s terrible.

Let them go get a job in the private sector to experience how terrible.

Trump's support comes largely from the lesser educated whites. And they are the largest group affected directly by the shutdown. Pelosi played it well.

Their salaries and benefits an envy of most Americans working in the private sector.

Retirement packages that are extinct in the private sector. Most Americans have to save to be able to retire, government workers do not.

Envy is a deadly sin. So is hate and both are not healthy. Thus I'll make you really hate me, you see, I have Safety Retirement, which I earned.

It is factored by Years of Service x 3% plus the final years compensation (and for some of us in upper management the ability to enhance the final years compensation by about 15%)

Thus I worked 32 years x 3% = 96% of my last 12 months salary.

However, I was able to increase the 96% by the sale of vacation days and 40 hours of management time (manager's do not get OT), plus added to my 32 years are every hours of sick leave earned during this time.

I was also paying $1,800 dollars each month into the retirement system. Oh, and BTW, I still (14 years after retirement) have the same medical insurance for life.

BTW2, I also receive Social Security since I worked in the private sector during my younger days for the necessary and sufficient number of quarters.

Trump's support comes largely from the lesser educated whites. And they are the largest group affected directly by the shutdown. Pelosi played it well.
The Trump supporters here really don’t seem “lesser educated”. It seems the liberal progressives here seem to believe whatever their party bosses tell them. I guess some think that makes them more educated.

Envy is a deadly sin. So is hate and both are not healthy. Thus I'll make you really hate me, you see, I have Safety Retirement, which I earned.

It is factored by Years of Service x 3% plus the final years compensation (and for some of us in upper management the ability to enhance the final years compensation by about 15%)

Thus I worked 32 years x 3% = 96% of my last 12 months salary.

However, I was able to increase the 96% by the sale of vacation days and 40 hours of management time (manager's do not get OT), plus added to my 32 years are every hours of sick leave earned during this time.

I was also paying $1,800 dollars each month into the retirement system. Oh, and BTW, I still (14 years after retirement) have the same medical insurance for life.

BTW2, I also receive Social Security since I worked in the private sector during my younger days for the necessary and sufficient number of quarters.
how much is your pension worth? does it run out? Did you pay in 3% of your own money?

"Sadly, given the security concerns and unless government re-opens this week, I suggest we work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened for this address or for you to consider delivering your State of the Union address in writing to the Congress on January 29," wrote Speaker Nancy Pelosi to President Donald Trump on Wednesday.
Sure doesn't look like caving to me.
If the workers would take a step and leave their jobs until they get paid.
That would end the damn fake shut down.

Trump can implement a Reduction in Force (everyone in the private sector knows what this is) after 30 calendar days of furlough. This is a fabulous opportunity to reduce the cost of government permanently.

Senior Trump official tells president in anonymous op-ed to shutter shutdown agencies forever | Daily Mail Online

How many times are you sheep going to post this same lie?

Thanks for supporting the OP. Americans in the private sector get lay-off notices at anytime, usually unexpected. It’s almost impossible to lose a government job AS YOU POINT OUT.

I laid out the process for a RIF, not for getting rid of bad employees.

You are almost too stupid to talk to

I worked 33 years in the federal government

Most of that time, we were anything but the envy of the private sector

When I started working in the late 70s, pay was 20 percent below the private sector. Fellow engineers ran to job offers at RCA, Kodak, Bell Labs, IBM. They mocked me for accepting a government job

In the 90s, we were begging for qualified workers. The private sector paid journeymen engineers $90,000 plus while our managers made $75,000. Those I interviewed laughed at the salary I offered

By 2008, companies were laying off in droves and cutting pay and benefits. Companies like RCA, Kodak and Bell Labs we’re gone. Qualified workers started to realize that steady pay and job security were valuable

I don’t feel sorry for the private sector

Well that's good because no one feels sorry for the Federal employees.

I doubt anyone who gets furloughed in the private sector gets back pay. Our tax dollars at work.

They could all quit and go get a job in the private sector. Jobs are all over the place.

Oh wait. I forgot. They love those cushy well paid Govt. jobs where the don't get fired. Never mind.
when someone has 20-25 years in they are not going to quit just because of whats happening now....

Of course they aren't. They love those cushy well paid Govt. jobs. They would never give that up especially since they know they will all get back pay owed.
you would not quit either if you had that amount of time in....and please dont tell me how yes you would....

The Trump supporters here really don’t seem “lesser educated”. It seems the liberal progressives here seem to believe whatever their party bosses tell them. I guess some think that makes them more educated.
Well, it you say so, but largely Trump's base support is from the less educated white people, usually older.

Trump is isolated

It is about the 2020 election. The GOP don't want to give in. The country super divided. Mostly because of people such as you, actually. Always blaming one party. Both parties are at fault for lying to the American people.
Trump is the biggest liar in American history

He never had any intention of building a wall, knew Mexico would never pay

Let him answer to his voters

Forum List

Back