Oklahoma cons ban living wage

I live in Oklahoma, and I think this is serious business.

Someone's brought up once, but I think it's worth bringing up again, that this bill comes as a direct response to a citizens' petition in OKC to raise the minimum wage. Fallin, State Senator Newberry, and State Representative Grau made this bill happen to squelch those voices. Does that sound democratic to you?

To the conservatives on this thread, consider if the petition had been for new tax breaks for new businesses in OKC, and a democratic governor suddenly signed a bill stopping any city from implementing their own tax breaks. Wouldn't you feel differently then about this kind of policymaking?

Are the people objecting? If not, then the civil servants are simply doing what their constituents want them to do.

It's Okiehoma, first they went from a prevailing wage state to a right to work state, now they want you to work for less so the rich can make sure they have plenty to put in the bank to help amass their fortunes...Repubs believe in capitalism, but with limitations on the workers...anyone in the legislature that votes on this and owns a business is guilty of conflicts of interest and should not be allowed to vote.

Repubs believe in exactly the same thing you do>>>>FASCISM.

More people here need to die.

Yes, that is the attitude of most of the wacky left.

Meanwhile, this bill was proposed by a criminal attorney, who circulated a petition. He claims to have 5000 signatures, but that's unlikely to be true.

Wackos and outsiders see Oklahoma, and they fume, because Oklahoma isn't supposed to be doing well, given its conservative mien.

But Oklahoma is doing well. VERY well.

Someone's brought up once, but I think it's worth bringing up again, that this bill comes as a direct response to a citizens' petition in OKC to raise the minimum wage. Fallin, State Senator Newberry, and State Representative Grau made this bill happen to squelch those voices. Does that sound democratic to you?

To the conservatives on this thread, consider if the petition had been for new tax breaks for new businesses in OKC, and a democratic governor suddenly signed a bill stopping any city from implementing their own tax breaks. Wouldn't you feel differently then about this kind of policymaking?

Look it is not, and that is totally irrelevant, do you have a contra argument based on facts and logic or just Grand Ole Bull Shit you are slinging??

Last edited by a moderator:

Are the people objecting? If not, then the civil servants are simply doing what their constituents want them to do.

What is a petition for a change in the law, if not an objection of the status quo? In the meantime, this story is circulating around Oklahoma right now, and I've heard from few Oklahomans that this is what they want Fallin to do.

Shutting down legal avenues of dissent is not democratic, in any case.

What is a petition for a change in the law, if not an objection of the status quo? In the meantime, this story is circulating around Oklahoma right now, and I've heard from few Oklahomans that this is what they want Fallin to do.

Shutting down legal avenues of dissent is not democratic, in any case.

Quit slinging and went straight for the shovel didn't you??

How do all these Oklahomans contact you?? Do you have a special tin foil hat that lets you receive these visions??

Again...this bill is being pushed by a handful of dems, at the aegis of the head dem.

And the state shot it down, as it their right and duty.

Look it is not, and that is totally irrelevant, do you have a contra argument based on facts and logic or just Grand Ole Bull Shit you are slinging??

Irrelevant? It's all that matters. High-level elected officials passing laws simply to block their own constituency's grassroots efforts is a subversion of democracy. And I would have thought that a person who (I'm assuming, I guess) holds an ideology that opposes big government would have wanted to at least address that side of the story.

Oh please.

This is how the process works. Get over it. Just because they want it doesn't mean they get it. Good for Oklahoma for flipping the feds the finger.

Irrelevant? It's all that matters. High-level elected officials passing laws simply to block their own constituency's grassroots efforts is a subversion of democracy. And I would have thought that a person who (I'm assuming, I guess) holds an ideology that opposes big government would have wanted to at least address that side of the story.

Totally off thread topic,makes you a moronic thread jacker(attempting) and tries to shift the conversation. Why are you looking at the sane apple as me and saying orange?? Don't you realize how idiotic you look??

Congratulations it was you not me ....

Again...this bill is being pushed by a handful of dems, at the aegis of the head dem.

There was no democratic bill, in fact. There are no career democratic operators to begin with. This is something that was happening outside of the State Congress, and the Congress caught wind of it and attacked.

Anyway, I can see I'm not making any headway here. You can have the last word, if you want it. I just feel that elected officials should let the citizenry put together whatever petitions they want and let these things come to a vote if there's the interest, not shut them down if they don't like the idea.

How do all these Oklahomans contact you?? Do you have a special tin foil hat that lets you receive these visions??

Oklahomans aren't...visions? I live here. I talk to my neighbors whenever I want.

If I wore a tinfoil hat, I think less of them would talk to me, not more.

There was no democratic bill, in fact. There are no career democratic operators to begin with. This is something that was happening outside of the State Congress, and the Congress caught wind of it and attacked.

Anyway, I can see I'm not making any headway here. You can have the last word, if you want it. I just feel that elected officials should let the citizenry put together whatever petitions they want and let these things come to a vote if there's the interest, not shut them down if they don't like the idea.

Oklahomans aren't...visions? I live here. I talk to my neighbors whenever I want.

If I wore a tinfoil hat, I think less of them would talk to me, not more.

So basically instead of voicing Oklahomans opinions you are speaking for a few like minded bigoted individuals ... how quaint. I bet ya'll even got your own little inbred clan, feuding with any of your neighbors?? Oh wait wrong state, but rest sure is money isn't it??

Forum List

Back